PSA: "Tap to Fix" loop with effect apps: iOS bug, here's the workaround

Hey all,

We've been tussling with an annoying bug present in all Inter-App Audio apps including Audiobus where some effects don't seem to load properly. In Audiobus, this manifests as a "Tap to Fix" loop.

Turns out this is an iOS 11 bug that is triggered by denying the effect app microphone permissions. It can be resolved by opening up the system Settings app, finding the settings for the affected FX apps at the bottom, and switching on mic permissions for each.

We've made the appropriate team at Apple aware of the problem, and it's being investigated.

Cheers,
Michael

Comments

  • Thx for the info.

  • Great job, Michael!! Please keep this message stickied until it is no longer relevant--I'm absolutely sure I will forget this workaround otherwise!! :smiley:

  • Thanks. I have a small performance scheduled this sunday and all my audiobus saved files had this “tap to fix” problem, taking precious time switching between tracks. Thanks for this, really appreciate it.

  • Sure thing! And will do, @Audiojunkie

  • @Michael sorry if a dumb question but I thought that every audio app needs to clear the ‘allow microphone access’ pop up anyway. Does that mean that when tap to fix happens the option in settings gets temporarily disabled?

    I’ve checked my problematic apps and all of them have the mic permission enabled.

    Confused.

  • I guess there’s more than one cause, @supadom

  • Thanks for pointing this out. I had put Flux:Fr and Final Touch aside because of this. Now I can use them again.

  • @Michael said:
    Hey all,

    We've been tussling with an annoying bug present in all Inter-App Audio apps including Audiobus where some effects don't seem to load properly. In Audiobus, this manifests as a "Tap to Fix" loop.

    Turns out this is an iOS 11 bug that is triggered by denying the effect app microphone permissions. It can be resolved by opening up the system Settings app, finding the settings for the affected FX apps at the bottom, and switching on mic permissions for each.

    We've made the appropriate team at Apple aware of the problem, and it's being investigated.

    Cheers,
    Michael

    A-Ha! I saw this just now... thanks, it solves a lot of problems here.

    K

  • Was looking for a solution for this issue... unfortunately it didn't work for the LiveFX app that I've always used alongside Audiobus for effects. Would love for this to be resolved.

    Thanks!

  • @climbingkevin have you contacted Elephant Candy about this? That's probably the next step

  • @climbingkevin said:
    Was looking for a solution for this issue... unfortunately it didn't work for the LiveFX app that I've always used alongside Audiobus for effects. Would love for this to be resolved.

    Thanks!

    I have a feeling that LiveFX has become abandonware since the release of FluxFx

  • Thanks Michael. I only hope your making as much money as you are bringing us happiness.
    Awesome job!!

  • That's very kind, @breilly :)

  • Hi guys, any update on this thread? We are still having solid crashes while launching effects and no workaround seems to work.
    I managed to get a crash report from my device and while investigating it, it leads to a crash inside coreaudio library:

    Thread 13 name: com.apple.coreaudio.auserver.io
    Thread 13 Crashed:
    0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x0000000185875348 0x185854000 + 136008
    1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x000000018598d794 0x185986000 + 30612
    2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00000001857e4fb8 0x185782000 + 405432
    .
    .
    .

  • Would you email me with more details, and the crash log, @sfortes? [email protected]

  • @Michael said:
    Would you email me with more details, and the crash log, @sfortes? [email protected]

    Michael, I usually turn off diagnostics in an app if the have some kinda feedback.
    Audiobus is one of my most important apps. Is it helpful for you that users turn diagnostics on?
    If it is not using resources?

  • Do you mean Audiobus' "Diagnostic Mode", in Settings @Kühl? If so: It's only helpful if something goes wrong and you email me. It just writes more stuff to the log that gets sent. Otherwise it doesn't do anything.

  • @Michael said:
    Do you mean Audiobus' "Diagnostic Mode", in Settings @Kühl? If so: It's only helpful if something goes wrong and you email me. It just writes more stuff to the log that gets sent. Otherwise it doesn't do anything.

    Ok, I just wondered if you got a stream of info from every user. Thanks for clearing it up.

  • wimwim
    edited July 28

    No, but it does record your conversations, and has been known to send them to random people in your contacts list. Oh, and recently leaked NSA source code included a backdoor method to turn it on. You’ve been warned.

Sign In or Register to comment.