Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Surprisingly supremely satisfying app purchase of the year, verily!

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:
    Surprised I’m the only Rozeta vote so far...

I think it’s the way the original post was worded. I fully expected Rozeta to be great and it is - no surprise.

• @MikeHunt said:
    I just recently got into ios music making, but so far I'd have to go with Thumbjam. I have had loads of fun with my limited skills.

Thumbjam never goes out of style! I still use it ALL THE TIME...

• @MonzoPro said:
    Easy, Rozeta. I’m going to have years of fun with this, with the added benefit it’s given a new lease of life to a bunch of apps I had already, but had lost interest in.

>

I was scrolling down this thread, wondering why no one had chosen Rozeta...and there you were. :)

Rozeta is also my choice, simply because it opened up new possibilities, and made it worthwhile reinstalling Gadget thus turning my IAP’s into avoid decision.

• @ExAsperis99 huh? It took me to beatonal website with links to the AppStore if you don't have it and instructions. Oh well

• @ALB said:

@MonzoPro said:

I think it’s the way the original post was worded. I fully expected Rozeta to be great and it is - no surprise.

I would have been really surprised if it stunk. @brambos is a living legend around here. B)

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@mrcanister said:
    Beatmaker 3. never used samples before being a synth man.
    slice it up and get busy on them pads- loads of fun and experimentation assured for the future

Same here, 'cept I'm a guitar man. I never really "got" the sample thing until I started digging into BM3. It's opened up many new creative avenues for me to explore.

i'm an ex-guitar man. first love. fond memories picking the eve away. i still have a play now and then. can't remember much on it now tho
    might try sampling those occasions :smile:

• edited December 2017

I only purchased three music apps this year: Final Touch (Black Friday sale), Korg Mono/Poly and Beatmaker 3. Of the three I'm most satisfied with the Korg Mono/Poly. As much as I want to praise Beatmaker, I haven't finished a production with it due to crashes. Sadly they won't get to be on my top 10 list this year. Korg, on the other hand, released several big updates to Gadget this year making it incredibly stable, easy and enjoyable to use. I bought Final Touch on sale out of curiosity. As far as I can tell, a mastering app is better suited for real instrument recordings rather than electronic music. Having tested the app, even with slight adjustments, the final mix, when done properly in Gadget still sounds better than the "mastered" mixes put through Final Touch.

• edited December 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear
    XDrummer's AI functions by having you play a 30 second snippet of a tune (rhythmically) you have in mind, and then matches it with the closest sounding beat that would complement what you played. For example, today I wanted to have a stable drum track to my playing and singing of Earth Wind and Fire's September. I tapped the AI button, chose "Funk" as the genre and strummed the first 10 or bars on my acoustic guitar. What came out after about 10 seconds of processing from the app was a perfectly structured (and customisable) 124BPM Verse - Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Chorus funky drum part. It was complete with fills and accents which sounded almost like how a human drummer would've played it. That all happened in less than a minute! I also played September (to make sure I covered all songs named September) by Daughtry immediately to the "Rock" genre and it delivered wonderfully as well.

I own Rock Drummer, Soft Drummer, Garageband, SessionBand apps and the like but nothing comes even close to the workflow, convenience and results this app gives to a live guitar/keys player. The app before its update had BPM issues but that was months ago and they responded to my mail and fixed it within two weeks. Now the BPM tracking is on-point and you can half/double it at the touch of a button if the app doesn't get it right. The current iteration of the programme even gives you the selection of how intense you want the drum track to be, changing the samples and the hit velocities depending on how energetic you want the drums to sound.

There is a very slight learning curve if you want the AI to deliver consistently though, it doesn't process arpeggios and non-4/4 time signatures well. The last mail exchange I had with the developer they told me 3/4 were in the works but I never really checked if they included that in the update. The samples aren't going to blow you away but overall, this app is easily the top app of this year for me without even getting into MIDI, export and editing functionalities!

• @necrome said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear
    XDrummer's AI functions by having you play a 30 second snippet of a tune (rhythmically) you have in mind, and then matches it with the closest sounding beat that would complement what you played. For example, today I wanted to have a stable drum track to my playing and singing of Earth Wind and Fire's September. I tapped the AI button, chose "Funk" as the genre and strummed the first 10 or bars on my acoustic guitar. What came out after about 10 seconds of processing from the app was a perfectly structured (and customisable) 124BPM Verse - Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Chorus funky drum part complete with fills that sounded like how a human drummer would've played. It all happened in less than a minute! I also played September (to make sure I covered all songs named September) by Daughtry immediately to the AI on the "Rock" genre selection and it delivered wonderfully as well.

I own Rock Drummer, Soft Drummer, Garageband, SessionBand and the like but nothing comes even close to the workflow, convenience and results this app gives to a live guitar/keys player. The app before its update had BPM issues but that was months ago and they responded to my mail and fixed it within two weeks. Now the BPM tracking is on-point and you can half/double it at the touch of a button. The current iteration of the app even gives you the selection of how intense you want the drum track to be, changing the samples and the hit velocities depending on how energetic you want it to sound.

There is a very slight learning curve if you want the AI to deliver consistently though, it doesn't process arpeggios and non-4/4 time signatures well. The last mail exchange I had with the developer they told me 3/4 were in the works but I never really checked if they included that in the update. Overall, this app is easily the top app of this year for me!

While you have cost me (if sale price holds!) ten bucks, :) I am grateful for your thoughtful explanation/review. Very good and thank you.

• Snap drum machine was my surprisingly useful app of the year.

I should mention that I'm using it as a midi sequencer triggering multiple ableton tracks with midi effects like chord, transpose, arpeggiators, scale and random in various setups. My beta is still working for a while but I don't need the save function to use it this way so the midi I/O will be enough.

• Also Zeeon, didn't think I could possibly need any more synths but now I hear what all the fuss was about :)

• I'm just starting, so best for me in this year are Geoshred, new Gadgets, and Lumbeat drum appps

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Snap drum machine was my surprisingly useful app of the year.

I should mention that I'm using it as a midi sequencer triggering multiple ableton tracks with midi effects like chord, transpose, arpeggiators, scale and random in various setups. My beta is still working for a while but I don't need the save function to use it this way so the midi I/O will be enough.

I didn't like the IAP structure at first, it seemed weird to split it into 2. But now that I've spent some time with the free version, I actually prefer the 2 separate IAPs. Like you said, I also want to use it more as a midi sequencer, so I really only need the midi IAP. I can record any midi if I want to save it. The save IAP would be for people wanting to use this as a drum machine with the included sounds I think. If they just charged $8 upfront or had a single $8 IAP, I probably wouldn't go for it. But for $4 as a midi sequencer, this thing is pretty great.

• SynthScaper, since i got sounds of it, that i never expected. It has a very pleasant lo-fi vibe.

• Well congratulations guys. After reading all of the positive posts on Beatonal I tried it, loved it and went for the pro upgrade last night. I love this forum but I gotta stop buying great apps...or do I?

• @rs2000 said:
    Got BM3, got Zeeon synth and Audulus, but in fact the most surprising revelation that I have a lot more fun with than I thought is Korg's iWavestation.
    I didn't expect to get all kinds of Roland D50-like sounds out of it, apart from being able to create inspiring rhythmic compositions. The synth engine is much more limited than on the D-50, but the vast number of looped pcm waves can compensate for that quite well.

True - there's a lot squeezed into iwavestation
    Now that you mention it - I've been surprised at how much I use it for a variety of sounds. It's a great one.

• @SirMcp said:
    Well congratulations guys. After reading all of the positive posts on Beatonal I tried it, loved it and went for the pro upgrade last night. I love this forum but I gotta stop buying great apps...or do I?

Hey, we don’t make the rules, if you feel the need, the need for apps, go for it. Or not, as budget applies.

• @u0421793 said:

@SirMcp said:
    Well congratulations guys. After reading all of the positive posts on Beatonal I tried it, loved it and went for the pro upgrade last night. I love this forum but I gotta stop buying great apps...or do I?

Hey, we don’t make the rules, if you feel the need, the need for apps, go for it. Or not, as budget applies.

HA! So said the bartender as he polished the vodka bottle smiling....

• Syntorial,It is helping to understand more about synthesis. Superb app.

• @MonzoPro said:

You are not :)

But changed my mind again now Syntronik has gone AU!

• @SirMcp said:
    Well congratulations guys. After reading all of the positive posts on Beatonal I tried it, loved it and went for the pro upgrade last night.<

Yeah, me too. What a great little app. Needs work, of course, but lots to like here.

• @u0421793 we need a video wherein you abuse the Beatonal synth

• wimwim
    edited December 2017

After much rumination ... sooo hard to decide.

KRFT

• Didn't really understand what it was until I bought it
    • Totally clicked with the way I think as far as assembling and performing music
    • Something completely new and different - and unexpected
    • Super responsive developer
    • Tons of feature additions right out the gate
    • Totally stable
    • Midi Out!
    • AB3 Support!
  • @wim said:
    After much rumination ... sooo hard to decide.

KRFT

• Didn't really understand what it was until I bought it
    • Totally clicked with the way I think as far as assembling and performing music
    • Something completely new and different - and unexpected
    • Super responsive developer
    • Tons of feature additions right out the gate
    • Totally stable
    • Midi Out!
    • AB3 Support!

Good call.

• Latest Gadgie updates

• for me its xequence

i wanted an awesome midi sequencer for the iphone, and while there's sunvox and i love it, i wanted a traditional piano roll mama, and xequence was it - and now with link its insanely wicked to da ultra max!

• @u0421793 said:
    Reminder of the rules:
    Only mention one!
    It must be a thing you got this year (2017).

Does herpes count?

Kidding.

Easy one.

K MACHINE

https://everyplay.com/videos/44152420

• edited December 2017

@audiobusdriver said:
    I also love my new Zoom U-44

He he. Me too.

• @ALB said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yup.

I think my biggest surprisingly-supremely-satisfying purchase was Mood. I was fairly sure I was going to like it but had no idea how much I'd love it.

• @syrupcore said:

@ALB said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yup.

I think my biggest surprisingly-supremely-satisfying purchase was Mood. I was fairly sure I was going to like it but had no idea how much I'd love it.

I caught that one late in a sale for seven quid. Hadn’t really thought much about it, but since buying it it’s gone straight into my favourite synths folder. Really good app.