Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ableton Link 3.0 for iOS developers

2»

Comments

• @midiSequencer said:
    I've looked at the source code. Will implement it in Quantum when it comes out of beta.
    @BlueGreenSpiral 64 apps will need to also implement it - but I'm hoping hosts are the first.

Glad to hear this! I missed Quantum but it looks like a great candidate for the new Link, I will be picking it up next time I have some Apple money..

• @wellingtonCres said:
    it means link is seemingly on track to be a complete replacement for MIDI clock, MIDI transport control, and MIDI song position pointer... essential techs which do not work well in modern environments, particularly apps.

MIDI clock master and slave sync does work well in many DAWs and iOS apps, and the fact that there are a few apps that have not been designed properly in terms of MIDI sync certainly tells something about how important that aspect was for the respective developer, but not about MIDI sync itself.

Most hardware sequencers and groove boxes neither have WiFi nor Ableton Link, so the times of Midi Sync are not over for the years to come.

I see no reason why any app that has adjustable tempo should not support both Ableton Link and MIDI Clock master/slave synchronization.

• @rs2000 said:

@wellingtonCres said:
    it means link is seemingly on track to be a complete replacement for MIDI clock, MIDI transport control, and MIDI song position pointer... essential techs which do not work well in modern environments, particularly apps.

MIDI clock master and slave sync does work well in many DAWs and iOS apps, and the fact that there are a few apps that have not been designed properly in terms of MIDI sync certainly tells something about how important that aspect was for the respective developer, but not about MIDI sync itself.

Most hardware sequencers and groove boxes neither have WiFi nor Ableton Link, so the times of Midi Sync are not over for the years to come.

I see no reason why any app that has adjustable tempo should not support both Ableton Link and MIDI Clock master/slave synchronization.

+1

• @rs2000 +1. If every developer read the 334 pages MIDI spec, sync would certainly work a world better in most apps :D (seriously!)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@rs2000 said:

@wellingtonCres said:

+1

and 3

@elasticdrums

• @SevenSystems said:
    @rs2000 +1. If every developer read the 334 pages MIDI spec, sync would certainly work a world better in most apps :D (seriously!)

The fast adoption of Link proves its utility for devs, especially in the world of low price points on iOS.

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@rs2000 said:

@wellingtonCres said:

+1

and 3

knock at yer door, number 4

• @SevenSystems said:
    @rs2000 +1. If every developer read the 334 pages MIDI spec, sync would certainly work a world better in most apps :D (seriously!)

:D
    Luckily that isn't necessary, Midi clock is rather simple and not much more that the clock messages themselves and a few STATUS messages to signal START, STOP, CONTINUE.
    The harder part is handling these messages properly in the respective music app, including buffering and "chase sync" functionality if audio tracks or audio loops are involved. Without re-pitching or time-stretching audio, that's no issue at all.

Again, I'm ready to offer help in this regard to any developer who wants to add MIDI slave sync to their app.