Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

One more day till everyone gets a free DX7

Comments

• tjatja
    edited December 2017

Just now read, that this is a sample player, not an emulation, which I originally thought.
    Anyway, I love open source!

• edited December 2017

Great job @analog_matt and all that contributed. Sounds and looks great!

Also, can't wait to learn from the source code!

• @supadom said:
    Good morning

Everything OK over there....?

• This app is sick... totally awesome... well done dev

• EXCLUSIVE SOUND DESIGN AND CONSULTING FROM ENGINEERS AND SYNTH TECHS WHO HAVE WORKED WITH M83, RIHANNA, TYCHO, KANYE WEST, MIKE POSNER, SAVOY, OWL CITY, TEGAN & SARA, NEON TREES, RED SKY LULLABY, AND MORE!

That's from the webpage for Synth One, the upcoming AudioKit synth. You are a bona fide rockstar! B)

• @CracklePot said:
    EXCLUSIVE SOUND DESIGN AND CONSULTING FROM ENGINEERS AND SYNTH TECHS WHO HAVE WORKED WITH M83, RIHANNA, TYCHO, KANYE WEST, MIKE POSNER, SAVOY, OWL CITY, TEGAN & SARA, NEON TREES, RED SKY LULLABY, AND MORE!

That's from the webpage for Synth One, the upcoming AudioKit synth. You are a bona fide rockstar! B)

Lol, More a B-list ios music celeb than rockstar but nice to be namechecked alongside some of those. I'll take it.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Good morning

Just keeping the oriental invaders at arms length. They’ve eventually got blasted by the moderators.

• @supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Good morning

Just keeping the oriental invaders at arms length. They’ve eventually got blasted by the moderators.

Good man! Funny seeing your salutations without context....

• Wow. I really hated the 80s, but this thing sounds great!

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Wow. I really hated the 80s, but this thing sounds great!

How can you love synths and hate the 80s... does not compute!! LOL

• I am adoring this app and cant wait for more sounds!

Selfishly, I have two feature requests so that I can use this in my live rig :)

1) Can you make the MIDI channel persist? It6s a pain setting the MIDI channel everytime I start the app
    2) Can you have it respond to PC messages please? My rig uses OnSong to send MIDI messages to my various synths to select the proper patch.

Thanks for listening and great work!

• @MikeyP said:

@JeffChasteen said:

When I was growing up in the mid 80s (Born -72) there was almost a war between 'Synth People' and 'Metal Heads'.
    Most of my class mates were 'Metal Heads' and I kinda had to adapt not be be bullied but it turned out that many of them are now 'Synth People'. So for me it was 'fun' to explore the 80s music since I mostly got exposed to 'Metal' :)

I love the 'simple' bare bones synth music from the 80s.

I can spend hours listening to classic SID Tunes, but that's another story...

• @Samu said:

@MikeyP said:

@JeffChasteen said:

When I was growing up in the mid 80s (Born -72) there was almost a war between 'Synth People' and 'Metal Heads'.
    Most of my class mates were 'Metal Heads' and I kinda had to adapt not be be bullied but it turned out that many of them are now 'Synth People'. So for me it was 'fun' to explore the 80s music since I mostly got exposed to 'Metal' :)

Yup. I found common ground with Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Rush & Genesis back then. LOL

• @Thomas said:

@Samu said:

@MikeyP said:

@JeffChasteen said:

Yup. I found common ground with Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Rush & Genesis back then. LOL

It was more like, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Accept, Rainbow, Wasp, Twisted Sister etc :D

• Yeah it's funny how we all think of the 80s as synth-dominated but the reality is that metal/hard rock was huge. I feel like nowadays the guitar is less prominent than it was in the 80s.

• As a kid I was WAY more into metal in the 80's than anything with synthesizers. That was what my older sister listened to, and anything my sister listened to was immediately the least cool thing in the world simply because she listened to it. It wasn't until MANY years later that I finally admitted my love of all things 80's.

My name is Daveypoo and I am a synthaholic.

Isn't the first step admitting you have a problem?

• @Samu said:

@MikeyP said:

@JeffChasteen said:

It was neither for me. I favored the neo-psychedelia coming out of Los Angeles, Liverpool, and Athens, GA. as well as a bit of the American Underground of the time (Sonic Youth, Swans, Gun Club, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets, etc.)

• @JeffChasteen said:

@Samu said:

@MikeyP said:

@JeffChasteen said:

It was neither for me. I favored the neo-psychedelia coming out of Los Angeles, Liverpool, and Athens, GA. as well as a bit of the American Underground of the time (Sonic Youth, Swans, Gun Club, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets, etc.)

Edited to add the brilliant Australian degenerates who were on the turntable at the time:
    Birthday Party/Bad Seeds, The Scientists, The Moodists, Triffids, Beasts of Bourbon, Crime And The City Solution...

• @MikeyP said:

1) Can you make the MIDI channel persist? It's a pain setting the MIDI channel everytime I start the app

Thank you. That's a great idea. I'll add it to my ToDo list. I pushed an app update yesterday. So, it won't be in this week's update. But, I'll try to get it in the update after that.

2) Can you have it respond to PC messages please? My rig uses OnSong to send MIDI messages to my various synths to select the proper patch.

That's interesting. While PC change works for most controllers & Synths, Would also like to get it working in every scenario. Is OnSong sending PC from another app via IAA Midi? Or is it from a mac via regular MIDI?

One person did email me having some trouble with PC on a hardware controller. But, they then realized they were sending PC on the wrong channel. This sounds like something different. Haven't tested PC from other apps- only from hardware.

• edited December 2017

Here's a preview of a few new sounds I recorded for the app today. Will be part of a free update after Christmas.

DX Harmonica (From the DX7 American factory presets)
    http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/dx_harmonica.wav

This one is by request. Never really liked FM Harmonica sounds. But, this somehow sounds better than I remember. Probably due to the DX7II DACs

DX Harp (From the DX7 American factory presets)
    http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/dx_harp.wav

This turned out really beautiful. There's something about the DX7II outputs that really make this sound bright and stunning.

Couple of custom presets: FM Quick Bass & FM Sublime Vibraphone
    http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/fm_quickbass.wav
    (Drums not included)

• edited December 2017

@analog_matt how about adding preset 16 Bass 2 from the DX7? That's the classic sound from Berlin's Take My Breath Away and one I've been hoping for.

Thanks again. - I'm putting in a lot of miles on this app!

• edited December 2017

@dvlmusic said:
    @analog_matt how about adding preset 16 Bass 2 from the DX7? That's the classic sound from Berlin's Take My Breath Away and one I've been hoping for.

You are in luck- DX7 Bass 2 is in the app already. :)

It's hidden under some distortion. But, it's secretly there.

It's the one labeled "DX Bass 2". You can turn off the bitcrush for the original sound.

• @analog_matt said:
    Here's a preview of a few new sounds I recorded for the app today. Will be part of a free update after Christmas.

DX Harmonica (From the DX7 American factory presets)
    http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/dx_harmonica.wav

This one is by request. Never really liked FM Harmonica sounds. But, this somehow sounds better than I remember. Probably due to the DX7II DACs

DX Harp (From the DX7 American factory presets)
    http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/dx_harp.wav

This turned out really beautiful. There's something about the DX7II outputs that really make this sound bright and stunning.

Couple of custom presets: FM Quick Bass & FM Sublime Vibraphone
    http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/fm_quickbass.wav
    (Drums not included)

Ooooh thise sound nice

• edited December 2017

Goofing off today, recording.

Here's a couple of new free sounds coming soon...

http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/marimbadiamonds.mp4

http://audiokitpro.com/mp3/jazzguitar.mp4
    The original DX7 Jazz guitar. Which conveniently sounds nothing like a real guitar. But, does sound like a DX7 guitar. :D

If you click the links, these are actually video captures of the app. Excuse my poor playing.

• @analog_matt said:

@dvlmusic said:

You are in luck- DX7 Bass 2 is in the app already. :)

It's hidden under some distortion. But, it's secretly there.

It's the one labeled "DX Bass 2". You can turn off the bitcrush for the original sound.

http://rs211.pbsrc.com/albums/bb150/TOTO-LERO/gifs/jagxw8jpg.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

Well I feel dumb - should've caught that. Just saved the sans-bitcrush version for later use.

Never mind!

:smiley:

• edited December 2017

@dvlmusic said:
    should've caught that. Just saved the sans-bitcrush version for later use.

No, this is my fault! I did not even realize it was the same sound from Berlin's "Take My Breath Away". I will update the description for people in a future version.

• @analog_matt said:

@dvlmusic said:
    should've caught that. Just saved the sans-bitcrush version for later use.

No, this is my fault! I did not even realize it was the same sound from Berlin's Take My Breath Away. I will update the description for people in a future version.

What can I say - it took my breath away.....

• @analog_matt said:

@MikeyP said:

1) Can you make the MIDI channel persist? It's a pain setting the MIDI channel everytime I start the app

Thank you. That's a great idea. I'll add it to my ToDo list. I pushed an app update yesterday. So, it won't be in this week's update. But, I'll try to get it in the update after that.

That's interesting. While PC change works for most controllers & Synths, Would also like to get it working in every scenario. Is OnSong sending PC from another app via IAA Midi? Or is it from a mac via regular MIDI?

One person did email me having some trouble with PC on a hardware controller. But, they then realized they were sending PC on the wrong channel. This sounds like something different. Haven't tested PC from other apps- only from hardware.

Don't mind me. I didn't test properly I guess.It works fine. Looks like I don't need to worry about LSB, MSB stuff which makes it easier than I anticipated.

FYI: OnSong runs on my iPad and sends plain old MIDI PC messages to my synths via MIDI channel.

• @MikeyP said:
    It works fine.

Sweet- That's amazing to hear! One more thing I can cross off the list.

Thanks again!