Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IDAM - very basic problem - very frustrating documentation

Hey guys.

So I should preface this by mentioning that I am still a noob Swift/iOS developer, however the documentation for IDAM (Inter Device & MIDI) is really bad, especially so for a beginner.

All I want to do for now is have an app that can give out a MIDI note directly to my Macbook so that I can use it in Logic. One UIButton, the touch down event should be something like "SendMidiNote(77)". Really super simple.

However I literally cannot find anything. How do I make my app IDAM compatible? Is there a class I need to instantiate? I played around with AudioKit and it works quite well, but it doesn't support IDAM.

Can anyone please help me or at least point me in the right direction?

The only requirement would be: Swift

Thanks so much n advance!

Comments

• As far as I’ve understood IDAM just uses CoreMidi so if you can send a note using CorrMidi it should work with IDAM automagically!?

• edited December 2017

Hmm let me further investigate this. Any other tipps you guys might have?

• I haven't used IDAM myself yet and I may be saying something you are already aware of but I read here the other day that you have to set all this up on the Mac in Audio/Midi Setup. Have you tried that yet?

• edited December 2017

OK a little update:

I got IDAM working now. The problem was that once I connect my iPad to my Macbook I had to kill my app on my iPad and then start it again. Seems like this initializes everything again.

My "let midiOut = AKMIDI()" is outside of my viewDidLoad function so that I can access it with my @IBActions. But isn't the entire ViewController loaded every time anyways? So how can I make my app reinitialize my MIDI / AudioKit even when the users switches into my app via multitasking?

• @midian said:
    OK a little update:

I got IDAM working now. The problem was that once I connect my iPad to my Macbook I had to kill my app on my iPad and then start it again. Seems like this initializes everything again.

My "let midiOut = AKMIDI()" is outside of my viewDidLoad function so that I can access it with my @IBActions. But isn't the entire VewController loaded every time anyways? So how can I make my app reinitialize my MIDI / AudioKit even when the users switches into my app via multitasking?

Try another ViewController event, like this one:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27911086/how-to-know-when-view-will-become-active-from-background