Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New dj app! Soda dj app by modstep devs!

Comments

• edited December 2017

The new (of the original d(—)b idea) version remembers me a lot to this:

There are interesting ideas such timeline edit which maybe could be implemented @cblomert ...?

• Hrrm, so the main tempo sets the tempo for the tracks? I hate videos and would much rather read.

One of the things that interested me in Soda was the concept of an independent pitch and tempo slider - something djay used to use but they replaced with that whole key thing.

Those sliders independent of each other are a critical part of my "chopped and screwed" DJ style.

In fact, my biggest beta suggestion was to have the radical pitch shifts they have on there (+/- 75%)

If anyone had not taken the plunge due to concerns of bugs or whatever, I just want to say that the dev has been updating way faster than I can even beta. He's obviously in this for the long haul and the issues WILL get fixed.

• No no, that’s just my approach. I think I saw the sliders in transport. Use the krass-pitch if you want some 100%-sliders, @anomieholiday

• This is great for Dawless jamming and remixing so can't wait for IAA outs and session saving so you can record outputs via AUM.

I hope you might consider an AUv3 extension of a single track without FX @cblomert then you could host multiple tracks in AUM and other hosts. Would be another great way to use this. :)

• Well, that's pitch but not tempo. I want to have a separate pitch and tempo slider, and have no idea how to do it.

IT IS TOO POWERFUL A SOFTWARE.

A .pdf or written manual would rule

• edited December 2017

Hi @cblomert , does this mean I am eligible for a free Soda...? B)

• @cblomert said:

@echoopera said:
    I feel like I just wasted $10 on something :s Reminds me of buying a premium Craft Beer with a cool label which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I just can't use the app since the Audio always phases out for me :(

Gonna try and return it and get my money back...as soon as my receipt comes through.

Reasons:
    1. App won't allow me to save anything
    2. App constantly phases out the Audio whenever I manipulate any FX related channel
    3. Does not work for my needs to mixing music because of 1 & 2 above :(

Too bad...it's looks like a lot of fun and I love modstep and touchable.

Hmm..
    Could you maybe return the sale and join the beta? We'll try to fix these issues, and once they are, you can still purchase the app again..

Send me your email via pm, i'll add you!

@Carnbot
    It's true - right now the layout is saved, nothing else. We thought it would be good to have a clean start when you start the app, but can also see the reason to save the current session. We'll add a setting for it in the next days.

We just uploaded another update fixing a few things:
    Fixed issues with 14 bit MIDI Controllers like the Pioneer DDJ-SB2 & Ergo
    Changed a few smaller graphical issues.
    Fixed a possible Crash when deleting a Page.
    Fixed External Audio Devices being shown as 'AppleUSBEngine'

Thanks for all your feedback guys - it helps a lot!

I've been getting some audio drop outs too and I'm using 12.9 2017. Seems to happen on certain tracks. Then reloading of wav to the track brings back audio.

• Hey everyone - cheers for your reports! Audio dropouts are pretty much the worst things that could happen, so we battled those first. We found 2 possible situations where they could happen, one of them being the track copy to another deck, the other being loop-jump related.
    We've uploaded another update just now and hope it will be available soon.
    We also fixed a few other issues, like invisible waveforms in some cases and issues with playlists.

Trying to find the FX issue of echoopera has failed however - is anyone else getting dropouts when using the FX? My guess is it might be related to the 10.5 / 2017 pro..

In other news, our bundle is out - there has been a thread about it already - and it allows old buyers of d--b to get soda at a discount. We're sorry that it is not entirely free - the app store bundle mechanism only deducts the amount that was paid at the time, and it seems that varying changing courses and price changes in certain countries over the year made it impossible to have the same price as the old app.
    Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/id1320982576?mt=8

In even more other news, we have uploaded a first playlist of small tutorials - aimed to explain the basic functionality and some features that do not seem obvious at first.
    We will expand this playlist in the coming days & weeks - what topics would you like to learn more about next?

Here you go:

Hope you guys enjoy the app so far :)
    If you do, please spread the word or rate us on the app store - it helps a lot!

• Since the first was gifted to me I paid full price but due I love how this evolved considere it as crowdfund investment @cblomert. :wink:

I will love to see a web community page for share layouts ala djtechtools
    https://maps.djtechtools.com/

Could it be possible something like this with wishlist section? I’m getting old to dabble with my tiny iPad mini screen and layout editor :sweat_smile:

• Something like that would be super cool :)
    best of course if it was accessible directly from within the app...
    We've got some other things to add first, but some kind of 'exchange' system for layouts or midi mappings is definitely on the horizon

And cheers for the investment dubby :)

• @cblomert said:
    Hey everyone - cheers for your reports! Audio dropouts are pretty much the worst things that could happen, so we battled those first. We found 2 possible situations where they could happen, one of them being the track copy to another deck, the other being loop-jump related.
    We've uploaded another update just now and hope it will be available soon.
    We also fixed a few other issues, like invisible waveforms in some cases and issues with playlists.

Trying to find the FX issue of echoopera has failed however - is anyone else getting dropouts when using the FX? My guess is it might be related to the 10.5 / 2017 pro..

In other news, our bundle is out - there has been a thread about it already - and it allows old buyers of d--b to get soda at a discount. We're sorry that it is not entirely free - the app store bundle mechanism only deducts the amount that was paid at the time, and it seems that varying changing courses and price changes in certain countries over the year made it impossible to have the same price as the old app.
    Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/id1320982576?mt=8

In even more other news, we have uploaded a first playlist of small tutorials - aimed to explain the basic functionality and some features that do not seem obvious at first.
    We will expand this playlist in the coming days & weeks - what topics would you like to learn more about next?

Here you go:

Hope you guys enjoy the app so far :)
    If you do, please spread the word or rate us on the app store - it helps a lot!

Thrilled there's now I tutorial! I was mostly just using this with it's default layout, but started playing with custom layouts last night. Lots of powerful potential with this one. Can't wait to dig into the tutorials. Thanks!

• @cblomert said:
    Something like that would be super cool :)
    best of course if it was accessible directly from within the app...
    We've got some other things to add first, but some kind of 'exchange' system for layouts or midi mappings is definitely on the horizon

And cheers for the investment dubby :)

Mutis is a d(- -)b lover as you know... :wink:

• ppl, I'm almost decided to do this investment! it's great to see a work going on so truly we believe the effort going on! =)

But I have one doubt...
    about saving information and reopening last session and stuff... it's only a bug or there's no data saving about cues at all?! I see there's a Tempo/Key organization on the browser. Is it made by SODA? If so, why not save the cues either?!

Hope I'm wrong! Then I'll buy today! =)

• Hey Rafael,

cues and loops are saved per track. so If you setup a few cues, they will always be readily available once you load the same track again.
    But: if you close and reopen the app, the loaded tracks won't be loaded again, it will start with all decks empty and you need to load them manually again - we will add a setting for this though, so everything stays the same when relaunching :)

• edited December 2017

I'm looking for a capable app that:

1. Has multiple ways to import audio (Audioshare / Dropbox / Audiobus IN/ Etc.)
    2. Realistically recreates scratching sounds.

Believe it or not, every "turntable scratch" app on iOS has garbage input options (typically iTunes library ONLY).

Can anyone confirm the scratching features on this app?

Thanks.

• This remind me of trying to read “Gödel, Escher, Bach” as a literature major who steered clear of the math department after completing my required courses. I WANT to understand. But ... my goodness this is like a foreign language.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This remind me of trying to read “Gödel, Escher, Bach” as a literature major who steered clear of the math department after completing my required courses. I WANT to understand. But ... my goodness this is like a foreign language.

it's a bit daunting the first time but then if you build a very simple mixer first or just look at how the simple preset ones are built you get the idea of how to make it work pretty fast.

• edited December 2017

@lerosa said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This remind me of trying to read “Gödel, Escher, Bach” as a literature major who steered clear of the math department after completing my required courses. I WANT to understand. But ... my goodness this is like a foreign language.

it's a bit daunting the first time but then if you build a very simple mixer first or just look at how the simple preset ones are built you get the idea of how to make it work pretty fast.

@ExAsperis99 If you read “Gödel, Escher, Bach” and had any level of understanding at all, this is a piece of cake. lol ;)

I hear ya though! The new demo videos are decent, but they go way too fast. I'd agree with @lerosa that building a simple one first, and loading up various preset layouts to see how they work is probably the best approach. That's what I'm doing, but I'm roughly in the same boat as you.

I'm not into "DJing" but having such a fluid and highly customizable interface for playing/mixing samples is really spectacular. I do wish they'd get someone to do a tutorial for noobs version though. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UComUtDpV55IcA6mkNOdlsJg/videos

• the good thing of the app is that even if you're not planning to dj you can build yourself a highly customised 8 tracks
    loop sampler with multiple loop/triggert points, effects etc etc

• @lerosa said:
    the good thing of the app is that even if you're not planning to dj you can build yourself a highly customised 8 tracks

Exactly! That's what I'm mostly interested in doing. I can't even fathom the level of brain function that would allow actually mixing and playing multiple cues, loops, rolls, etc. within all 8 possible decks. Mind boggling, but every so fascinating to be wading in the deep end without a life preserver. ;)

• @skiphunt said:

. I can't even fathom the level of brain function that would allow actually mixing and playing multiple cues, loops, rolls, etc. within all 8 possible decks. Mind boggling, but every so fascinating to be wading in the deep end without a life preserver. ;)

Karizma jumps to mind as one of the dudes who really shine at that

• @lerosa said:

@skiphunt said:

. I can't even fathom the level of brain function that would allow actually mixing and playing multiple cues, loops, rolls, etc. within all 8 possible decks. Mind boggling, but every so fascinating to be wading in the deep end without a life preserver. ;)

Karizma jumps to mind as one of the dudes who really shine at that

That's awesome. Man, that kind of timing skill has to be akin to playing 4D chess!

• edited December 2017

@lerosa said:
    the good thing of the app is that even if you're not planning to dj you can build yourself a highly customised 8 tracks

that is what attracts me to Soda. What keeps me on the fence is that I will have to use internal stored samples. There is no way in iOS to access external storage inside an app. And that there's probably an option to do this with other apps I already have, but haven't explored all their potential.

• First hours with SODA:

1. pretty impressed with the workflow and audioflow. didn't had enough time because I had problems importing files.
    2. import only possible to me via iTunes, Audioshare, Dropbox and Drive.
      • iTunes: couldn't try because my cable is broken.
      • Drive: works fine, but only one (1!!!!!!) file at a time
      • Dropbox and Audioshare: seemed to be the answer for my prayer because Audioshare have the possibility of downloading a whole folder, but didn't worked for me. Tried with mp3 and wav and none has worked. The file appears at the Imported list, but without data. And worst: it doesn't delete.
    3. Because of the Dropbox/Audioshare importing issue and impossibility to delete bugged files, I had to reinstall the app (heading to my second reinstall right now).
    4. After I upload a track with drive (note that it takes a lot more time to really download the track), it makes the bug even worse (attached printscreen), repeating the files.
    5. The song in Deck B was imported via Drive, the Deck A via AudioShare and the song called "Ana Muniz..." via Dropbox. Note that I've tried to import the same song over different servers, but it only results in more bugged items.
    6. Observe the difference of the files. I'm pretty sure it is not a file problem, but a bad communication between apps.

I've already e-mail the devs, but I believe it's fair to the community know the actual issues, so that nobody got busted in some not cool situation with the app.

I take the opportunity to make some notes on this topic that is the one I went further: load browser.

• It's a necessity deeper options and configurations at the browser, like group items to delete and add to a playlist.
    • Personally, I've a hard time with iTunes either. Never used and never liked. Don't know how hard it is, but would be nice if we could change metadata of the tracks inside SODA.
    • I'm from Brasil, there's a lot of letters and symbols that doesn't have in the language font you use in SODA.
    • Would be nice the user have control under the tab arrangement, like changing the order and even deleting or adding others metadatas tabs.

#

Unfortunately this is my first glance. As a costumer it's not cool because we always expect things to work as they are sold, and this mess a little bit with expectations (now I've to buy a new cable for MAYBE things works better), or the live set that I was planning to do next week maybe not happen this way, etc.
    I'm giving this feedback with best intentions. I want this to work!! So let's keep rolling, guys.
    I'll wait a response.

RD

• edited December 2017

• @skiphunt said:

have you figured out?! :D

• edited December 2017

@rafaeldk said:

@skiphunt said:

have you figured out?! :D

No, but I get the impression most of the regulars here likely aren't into this sort of thing based on most postings. I sent the dev a message asking for clarification. I watched the video a half dozen times and I don't think the roll loop function in my install of Soda is behaving like the one in the video. But, it's highly likely I'm doing something wrong. Once I've got some cues and loops going, if I hit the roll button, it just plays to the end of the sample and stops. If I continue holding the roll button, it does pretty much the same thing. I thought maybe my samples were too short, so I tried a longer one and it does the same thing.

Again, it's very possible that I'm simply not doing it right, or don't completely understand the concept of the Loop Roll in general. If you (or anyone else) have advice or suggestions, it'd be much appreciated. :)

• Well, i have the same feeling, and not only here.
    I don't know if I'm infringing, but noticing this lack of space, I created a facebook group for more in deep discussions about iPad DJing.

I need more people exploring soda with me, hehe.

If anyone is interested, feel free... would be awesome have devs there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152781108705411/

• @rafaeldk said:
    Well, i have the same feeling, and not only here.
    I don't know if I'm infringing, but noticing this lack of space, I created a facebook group for more in deep discussions about iPad DJing.

I need more people exploring soda with me, hehe.

If anyone is interested, feel free... would be awesome have devs there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152781108705411/

Cool. I'll head over. I was going to ask over at the iPad musicians fb group, but it's basically a similar vibe over there. Was going to ask if there was another group where the dj'ing crowd hangs.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a dj nor am I interested in learning to become one. Personally, I'm primarily interested in Soda as a highly customizable 8 track sample looper with cues, triggers, and fx. But, I'm also interested in the art form... as well as dabbling enough to pick up on the culture a bit for a little idea I have for either a story or short film. Not fleshed out much, but thought maybe messing around in this arena might give me some ideas.

In the dj'ing circles, who are a couple 2-3 dj's that'd would be considered the absolute masters of the craft, with videos on YT that I could check out how it looks when they "dj/perform/mix"?

• I dj more or less regularly but with vinyl and 1210's, my interest with ipad apps is mostly to do with live performances and for Soda specifically for a project I'm working on to play ambient/noise textures I create on the ipad only, so I am not going to use it in the traditional club environment but more in art installation sort of spaces hence my lack of delving deeper into some of its looping functionalities. Once they've ironed out the possibility of it EVER crashing mid performance I would consider it for Dj gigs tho.