Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to communicate from iMac to iPad?

If I want to use a USB keyboard to play ios apps via AUM routing the keyboard through ableton what is the most effective way to connect the iPad? Do I simply use the USB cord? Ableton Link? Sorry if this is an overly simple question.

Comments

• plug in ipad tomthe mac, go to the audio midi setup app on he mac, click enable on your ipad, set new ipad audio device as input in ableton, enable the new ipad midi port in ableton

if you already are using an interface on the mac, you need to aggregate it with the ipad

enable link to get bpm sync

• You can use wifi via the Midi setup on OSX assuming your on a Mac.
    You can use StudioMux(ios app) once setup whatever keyboard you
    have connected to Ableton can be used with ios.

You can buy a iconnectivity device
    or as mentioned earlier FaceTime

• @wellingtonCres said:
    plug in ipad tomthe mac, go to the audio midi setup app on he mac, click enable on your ipad, set new ipad audio device as input in ableton, enable the new ipad midi port in ableton

if you already are using an interface on the mac, you need to aggregate it with the ipad

Thanks. Easy enough

• @chockfullofthat said:
    If I want to use a USB keyboard to play ios apps via AUM routing the keyboard through ableton what is the most effective way to connect the iPad? Do I simply use the USB cord? Ableton Link? Sorry if this is an overly simple question.

What apps or kind of things are you doing with the 2?

or wish to anyway

• Specifically, I want to use my synth keyboard to play the Korg iM1. It's not USB class compliant.

• edited December 2017

@chockfullofthat said:
    Specifically, I want to use my synth keyboard to play the Korg iM1. It's not USB class compliant.

If it has regular 5-pin Midi ports, you can use a cheap USB to Midi cable. It's how I connect my KB controller to my iPad through the CCK. My KB controller has a USB port as well, but is not class-compliant either.

• I'm building sort of a complex electronic music ecosystem here so those ports are not free. :D

It's ok I think I figured out a solution thanks to wellington's basic advice.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    plug in ipad tomthe mac, go to the audio midi setup app on he mac, click enable on your ipad, set new ipad audio device as input in ableton, enable the new ipad midi port in ableton

Here it is! Thanks, I was looking for this info last week, but gave up and just plugged the headphone jack to the mic jack since hifi wasn’t needed.
    I just tried your method and works great, except the Ableton Link didn’t quite match. The tempos match and change together between AUM and Ableton, but the clicks are off by about a half beat. Anything special I need to do to get them perfectly on beat?