Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 11.2 audio glitching is back for me! :( :(

I’m kicking myself for updating. I experienced the well-known audio crackling with iOS 11 Gm and the first incremental update or two, a few weeks ago finally being fixed around the same time everyone else reported theirs finally being fixed.

The update just before 11.2 didn’t have any problems, but I’ve just run into even worse crackling than occured with the initial 11.0 release!! So far, here are the culprit apps:

CrystalSynthXT by itself with absolutely nothing else running in the background. It’s completely random, can go a few minutes without crackles, but then does it every few seconds or so. I notice the CPU guage spikes to completely full every once in a while, though the crackling doesn’t necessarily coincide when it’s full.

Cubasis 2 loaded with instruments ; a project I was working on all week before updating to iOS 11.2 today, and there were absolutely no problems before the update. It was a loud, constant crackling sound the entire time I played the 8 bar loop .. I immediately rebooted my iPad Pro 12.9 2017 , and it went away at first but I’ve noticed a random crackle every once in a while since then, often every few seconds, sometimes not at all.

I have Waves L1 and Q10 on 4 or 5 of the tracks ., along with Audio Damage: Grind on one track.
instruments:
Model 15,
Zeoon
iCathedral Organ
CMP Grand Piano
Micrologue: Sonar Noize
Micrologue: Disco Bass
Vintage Kit 1 for Drums
Also have a muted audio track

I’m extremely discouraged...wondering if they’ accidentally reintroduced the same buggy code that caused the initial
Screwup... I know one thing, I’m never updating again once I get a working iOS 11 .. Only reason I did this time was due to occasionally having a milisecond screen freeze every once in a while that I was hoping this would fix.

Edit: Hopefully the crackling will go away if I freeze some tracks in Cubasis ; It’s just a letdown that it was handling that heavy load just fine right up until the update. Deja Vu :(. .. CPU meter peaks at around 75% ..

Comments

• Buffer size is there to take strain off the cpu and therefore remove audio glitches and crackles. While raising it takes strain off the cpu, it also introduces more latency.

• I have iphone 8 and ios 11.2
    Aaand i have also noticed that audio crackling when i use standalone version of zeeon. :/

• Some have suggested that iOS does a lot of BG processes for a while after an update, which could cause crackles, but should resolve after a while. Also there is the tip of off-loading and re-installing apps that are acting weird after an update. Use the off-loading option instead of uninstalling if you have user data you need to preserve. Also. if you like to turn off BG refresh and Siri search for most of your apps, check to make sure these are still turned off. I believe iOS turns them all back on after you update (at least I think it happened to me on the iOS 11.1 update which is the only one I've installed so far).
    It really sucks to hear that you are having these audio problems again. :(
    Oh yeah, you can try using a USB audio interface instead of the headphone jack. I believe that got rid of the crackles for some people as well.

• Have you guys tried Brambos Battery tips thread? I got my iPad running way better than before. Haven’t loaded 11.2 tho.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Have you guys tried Brambos Battery tips thread? I got my iPad running way better than before. Haven’t loaded 11.2 tho.

Wheres that at? Is that the title?

• And I have had no troubles so far on 11.2. On a Pro 10.5

• One instance of Zeeon in AUM and I get occasional pops with 11.2 on iPhone 8.

• One instance of Zeeon in AUM on iPhone 6, 10.3 is good times.

• Updated to 11.2 this morning. Air2. Rebooted after update and charged to 100%.
    Just did about 20 minutes, 4 channels of AUM in AB3: Model 15, TF7, Soft Drummer, Funk Drummer switching back and forth between apps many times.
    Not a pop or crackle.
    Tomorrow, who knows?

• @ben. Just out of curiosity, were you using a USB interface or iPad headphone out?

• @CracklePot said:
    @ben. Just out of curiosity, were you using a USB interface or iPad headphone out?

No interface or headphones. Just the iPad speaker.

• @oat_phipps said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Have you guys tried Brambos Battery tips thread? I got my iPad running way better than before. Haven’t loaded 11.2 tho.

Wheres that at? Is that the title?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21984/ios11-battery-and-other-survival-tips

• @Ben That kills my idea that the crackles might be related to the speaker output then. I think some people were reporting no crackles on Audio device output, but they probably wouldn't have crackles either way I suppose. Anyway, glad to hear you are having good performance. :)

• Updated my 10.5 Pro yesterday, so far no issues for me in cubasis or AUM

• Well, spoke too soon. Tried AUM stand alone with 3 Iceworks synths all running arps, Troublemaker and FunkDrummer.
    Crackles every time I switched between apps especially leaving Troublemaker.
    Seemed to decrease with time and I was able to record the session.
    Listened 1 time through in AudioShare and it sounded pretty clean.
    That was with adjusting sliders in AUM only though. No app switching during recording.

• @Ben said:
    Well, spoke too soon. Tried AUM stand alone with 3 Iceworks synths all running arps, Troublemaker and FunkDrummer.
    Crackles every time I switched between apps especially leaving Troublemaker.
    Seemed to decrease with time and I was able to record the session.
    Listened 1 time through in AudioShare and it sounded pretty clean.
    That was with adjusting sliders in AUM only though. No app switching during recording.

I’m not on the latest iOS but I’ve had crackles when doing the same thing. I guess it’s a CPU issue. Fortunately the crackles aren’t on the recording, so the sound is breaking up after when it’s routed to the speaker.

• @Ben said:

@CracklePot said:
    @ben. Just out of curiosity, were you using a USB interface or iPad headphone out?

No interface or headphones. Just the iPad speaker.

I think this will have some influence on performance. My Akai EIE has been good to me for the last few years but I wouldn't be surprised if it added to the problem. Mind you it's still better than having to deal with hardware specific drivers.

• Wasn’t there a reported problem with the bit rate on the internals being 48 and 44.1 on the input setting?