Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend 10 or so apps to use an iPad in a particular way

What 10 (or thereabouts) apps would you recommend someone starting out in IPad music. Obviously there will be many differing answers as many will use their iPads differently, but it may be of interest to new peeps.

Try to at least give an idea of why or how you use these:

My list for using an iPad like a Workstation Synth:

1. Audiobus3
  2. AUM
  3. MF Keyboard
  4. MF Splitter
  5. Zeeon
  6. Ruismaker
  7. Rozeta
  8. WaveMapper
  9. BeatHawk
  10. AudioEFFX
  11. Cubasis

Audiobus, AUM, the MF apps and Rozeta give a decent live playing / mixer setup for the Source apps and for future growth. Plenty of arp, sequencer drum machine action from Rozeta.

Cubasis gives a decent and easy to use recording and playback setup.

BeatHawk supplies the meat and potato sounds with a few packs bought for it. Also being AU, it’s more adaptable than many other all rounders. Plus drums!

Ruismaker for synthetic drums.

AudioEFFX for your initial FX (you will need more) but a good multiFX to start with and AU!

Zeeon as your virtually virtual or close to real Analog Synth.

WaveMapper for great bass variety.

Comments

• Audiobus
    Gadget
    Groovebox
    Figure
    iKaossilator
    Sector
    AudioShare
    Blocs Wave
    Launchpad
    Turnado
    Patterning
    WOW
    Cubasis 2
    IElectribe

Just use them all as described on the packet to make a pile of audio clips via Blocs Wave-then experiment with them in Launchpad- then make a final arrangement in Cubasis2

So the particular way is to make your music exclusively with your own home made audio clips- no midi involved.

• edited December 2017

A good old sampler/chopper/masher/basher/fizzasher....

BM3
    Egoist
    TC11
    Audioshare
    Zeeon
    Eos2
    Fac Chorus
    Effectrix
    Turnado
    Rozeta (once BM3 supports AUv3 midi)
    PlayerXtreme (or whatever other youtube rippah)

...or if they are super new to music making in general then just Gadget and the Gadgets of choice.

• Or Caustic 3

• No one has said Kauldron yet? Man that should be a mandatory synth imo!

• edited December 2017

This covers 90% of my noise-making needs on the iPad...

Cubasis 2 (With IAPs)
    Gadget+IAPs(+ iM1, iWaveStation, iMono/Poly, Odyssei & Module)
    BeatMaker 3
    GarageBand
    Virsyn AudioEffx
    Poison-202
    Zeeon
    FM Essentials (Unlocked)
    BS-16i
    Documets by Readdle(& AudioShare)

The remaining 10% is extra spice apps...

• no Animoog? tut tut
    don't think i've got 10! lol
    Animoog
    BM3
    Samplr (haven't used in awhile tho)
    Midi link sync
    on the fence with M15
    could do with a drum app.

• edited December 2017

ElasticDrums, SeekBeats, Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM, iElectribe for starters in no special order.

• thanks. i'll check them out. can't program beats at all.
    been slicing up loops and playing them on the pads in BM3. good fun

• @mrcanister said:
    thanks. i'll check them out. can't program beats at all.

If that is the case, Elastic Drums would be very useful. Has a ton of preprogrammed patterns that you can tweak or use as is.

• Aum
    AudioShare
    Cubasis with all IAPs
    Animoog
    Zeeon
    New soul keys
    ISymphonic with all IAP
    Gadget with all IAP
    Beathawk with all IAP
    Reslice

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I could have used a good list of apps to try first. The ones i wish I knew about, for my purposes, are of the ipad not so much as heavy music production, but ultimate keyboard, drum machine, music widget, idea place:

1)Audiobus 3 or AUM - routing, mixing, combining
    2) Audioshare - idea repository, audio editor, sample manager
    3) Garageband - the beginner's DAW you can actually make nice music with immediately. Export directly to Logic Pro.
    4) Animoog - the classic. convincing, impressive analog synth sounds
    5)A ROMpler keyboard, i like iM1, but its a cheesy sound. Thumbjam is less dated, but somewhat less sounds. I'm curious about BS16
    6)Patterning - THE ios drum machine to beat
    7)Samplr - the mighty touch screen instrument. Take an evening to master the basics.
    8)Altispace - versatile, impressive convolution reverb
    9) StepPolyArp or Xynthesizr - a step sequencer of some sort
    10) Loopy - the most mature, midi friendly looper.

Not the esoteric favorites, for the cork sniffer, but these are what I would have liked to have started with. One could also just get Gadget, and call it a day.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@mrcanister said:
    thanks. i'll check them out. can't program beats at all.

If that is the case, Elastic Drums would be very useful. Has a ton of preprogrammed patterns that you can tweak or use as is.

yeah, that exactly what i'm after. thanks. i'll check it out now

• @Samu said:
    Documets by Readdle

New to me, looks supper handy. And free!
    Thanks for the tip!

• @audiorangutan said:

@Samu said:
    Documets by Readdle

New to me, looks supper handy. And free!
    Thanks for the tip!

No problemo, it's one of the more fully featured file-managers out there for iOS.

It has a nice integration with Safari too. If you find a Link you wish you wish to download just add r to the link (http: > rhttp: ) and Safari will launch Documents and download the file. It's also super handy for 'abusing' the Youtube > WAV sites for ripping audio from Youtube :)

It does have Audio Preview of the files and many other goodies (Stream movies from network drives etc. etc.).

If Documents gets quick tools to process Audio & Video files (Trim, Normalise, Convert etc.) AudioShare will get some major competition on iOS :)

• @Samu
    Wow, that all sound really useful! Going to check it out now...

1. Audiobus 2
    2. AUM
    3. Audioshare
    4. Group The Loop
    5. FunkBox
    6. iGrand Piano
    7. Vokey 2
    8. Triggler, ReSlice, Samplr or Yellofier (just one of them is enough for now)
    9. JamUp
    10. DFX or AudioEffX

(with Ableton Link enabled)

1 to 4 for easily connecting, mixing and organising loop-based songs.
    5 to 8 to cover the basics in terms of drums, keys and sampling.
    9 for external instruments.
    10 for general multi-effects.

All pretty effective and easy to use for beginners without having to do too much setting up before you can start playing around and compose things or jam away. Of course you can also just start by just getting Gadget, but then you wouldn't reach 10 apps hehe.

• edited December 2017

@Ribbon said:
    Of course you can also just start by just getting Gadget, but then you wouldn't reach 10 apps hehe.

But with all the available IAPs and other Apps that provide Gadgets it would be 10+ ;)

Gadget
    Bibao (IAP)
    AbuDhabi (IAP)
    Madrid (IAP)
    Vancouver (IAP)
    Darwin (iM1)
    Montpellier (iMono/Poly)
    Kamata (IAP)
    Lexington (Odyssei)
    GladStone (IAP)
    Miltipas (iWaveStation).
    Lisbon (IAP)
    Firenze, Salzburg, Alexandria, Montreal & Glasgow (Module)

• edited December 2017
    1. NanoStudio 2.
    2. :)
  • @syrupcore said:
    1. NanoStudio 2.
    2. :)

Maybe next year or so if we get lucky and who knows how many IAPs it will contain to unlock features :)

• @Samu said:

@Ribbon said:
    Of course you can also just start by just getting Gadget, but then you wouldn't reach 10 apps hehe.

But with all the available IAPs and other Apps that provide Gadgets it would be 10+ ;)

Gadget
    Bibao (IAP)
    AbuDhabi (IAP)
    Madrid (IAP)
    Vancouver (IAP)
    Darwin (iM1)
    Montpellier (iMono/Poly)
    Kamata (IAP)
    Lexington (Odyssei)
    GladStone (IAP)
    Miltipas (iWaveStation).
    Lisbon (IAP)
    Firenze, Salzburg, Alexandria, Montreal & Glasgow (Module)

Haha, very true!

• @Processaurus said:
    I could have used a good list of apps to try first. The ones i wish I knew about, for my purposes, are of the ipad not so much as heavy music production, but ultimate keyboard, drum machine, music widget, idea place:

3) Garageband - the beginner's DAW you can actually make nice music with immediately. Export directly to Logic Pro.
    5)A ROMpler keyboard, i like iM1, but its a cheesy sound. Thumbjam is less dated, but somewhat less sounds. I'm curious about BS16
    7)Samplr - the mighty touch screen instrument. Take an evening to master the basics.

Not the esoteric favorites, for the cork sniffer, but these are what I would have liked to have started with. One could also just get Gadget, and call it a day.

That is a fantastic list of ten essentials.
    I eventually acquired them through trial and error, but it would have saved time and $ to begin with them.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@Processaurus said:
    I could have used a good list of apps to try first. The ones i wish I knew about, for my purposes, are of the ipad not so much as heavy music production, but ultimate keyboard, drum machine, music widget, idea place:

That is a fantastic list of ten essentials.
    I eventually acquired them through trial and error, but it would have saved time and $ to begin with them.

ps: BS-16 is great.

• edited December 2017
    • Figure or iKaosilator - just to get comfortable jamming some grooves

• Gadget.

Then if you want to get a bit more creative maybe:

• Animoog - for the sounds (and now it’s very easy to sample into Vancouver in Gadget)
    • Beatonal - basically it’s Figure, but you can get the Midi into Gadget. So a nice way of coming up with phrases even if you’re new to composition
    • FutureDrummer - fantastic for varied drums (and not having to program your own) - and again you can point the midi at Gadget
    • Step Poly Arp - arps into Gadget
    • Rozeta - midi into Gadget
    • Audioshare
    • AUM
    • Audio Mastering

That’s about 10...

• Oh and maybe something more experimental and granular like Samplr, Borderlands or iDensity
  • Audioshare

Zeeon
    Patterning (assuming you can find/make/buy own samples)

Just to fill out the 10

Auria Pro w/:
    Timeless 2
    Pro-R
    Saturn

Those 7 would be the first things I’d buy if I just got an iPad today but still had my acquired knowledge. This assumes the user is a guitar player (hence Saturn included).

So $155 to have everything you’d need before mixing and mastering. I guess this also assumes competency at playing keys since there’s no sequencer or magic random generator included.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Audioshare

Zeeon
    Patterning (assuming you can find/make/buy own samples)

Just to fill out the 10

Auria Pro w/:
    Timeless 2
    Pro-R
    Saturn

Those 7 would be the first things I’d buy if I just got an iPad today but still had my acquired knowledge. This assumes the user is a guitar player (hence Saturn included).

So $155 to have everything you’d need before mixing and mastering. I guess this also assumes competency at playing keys since there’s no sequencer or magic random generator included.

Gotta say, I use Saturn for keyboards a lot. Really wish Saturn was an AU