Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Choosing a band/artist name

In all the many years that I’ve made music, the picking of and settling on a band/artist name has always been really difficult for me.
If I count them up now, I have collaborated and been solo with at least 12 different names.
Def Robot is an anomaly in my solo ‘artist’ life, for the fact that it has lasted for 7 fully produced songs, not counting loads that I’ve thrown away.
I’m thinking of changing it again. Never fekkin happy!
With all this in mind.

1: How did you come up with your ‘artist’ name?
2: Are you happy with it?
3: How important is it?
4: What is your favourite band name ever?

Comments

• Hahaha, this is fun, I could spend hours imagining how big some of these names could be in the real world.
    There have been some, what I would consider, terrible names that have made it big!

• Lol, Lobster Frolic :D (Makes me think of doggy food).

• edited December 2017

Repulse the Monkey is a Tai-chi technique. But we found it in the SF novel ‘Darklife.’ Where it was the name of a fictional band.

Yep.

Only in as much as it is helpful to have a name that is memorable and different.

The Who

• @Zen210507 said:

Repulse the Monkey is a Tai-chi technique. But we found it in the SF novel ‘Darklife.’

Yep.

Only in as much as it is helpful to have a name that is memorable and different.

The Who

I would agree that Repulse The Monkey is both memorable and good.
    I always thought ‘The Who’ was terrible and has given me a dislike of them. Do like some of their songs though.

• @DefRobot said:
    In all the many years that I’ve made music, the picking of and settling on a band/artist name has always been really difficult for me.
    If I count them up now, I have collaborated and been solo with at least 12 different names.
    Def Robot is an anomaly in my solo ‘artist’ life, for the fact that it has lasted for 7 fully produced songs, not counting loads that I’ve thrown away.
    With all this in mind.

1. Halitosis Pony was already taken.
    2. Stuck with it, more like
    3. I’ve got about ten other ‘identities’, so not much
    4. Stock, Hausen and Walkman
  • Use Gadget!

• edited December 2017

Chronological order of bands in which I have been a member:
    Roger Mudd & The Witches
    Babalon
    The Dogstyles
    General Jack & The Grease Guns
    Angel Perkins & The Two Notch Devils
    The Lester Bangs
    The Spanish Tonys
    Trixie Trash and The All Star Pickups
    Rabbit Moon Revue
    Catbirds
    The Box Devils
    The Christ Figures
    Jades of Asia
    All of the above bands gigged, etc..

I currently record under the names:
    Santa Claus
    The White Horse Players
    Doctor Sugar
    The One and Only Milky Way

I don't have a favorite among the bands in which I have been a member. That would be like choosing between my children.

My favorite band name of all time?
    Tommy James and The Shondells.
    Seriously.

• @MonzoPro said:

@DefRobot said:
    With all this in mind.

I really like the name Horse Gas!
    I also usually have about 2 or 3 other names on the go.

• @DefRobot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@DefRobot said:
    With all this in mind.

I really like the name Horse Gas!
    I also usually have about 2 or 3 other names on the go.

I keep trying to replace it, but people always laugh when I tell them the name so I’ve kinda stuck with it.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Roger Mudd & The Witches
    Babalon
    The Dogstyles
    The Lester Bangs
    The Spanish Tonys
    Rabbit Moon Revue

Wasn’t Lester Bangs a journalist? Remember him being mentioned in Melody Maker a lot .
    Rabbit Moon Revue is my favourite out of those.

• @DefRobot said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Roger Mudd & The Witches
    Babalon
    The Dogstyles
    The Lester Bangs
    The Spanish Tonys
    Rabbit Moon Revue

Wasn’t Lester Bangs a journalist? Remember him being mentioned in Melody Maker a lot .
    Rabbit Moon Revue is my favourite out of those.

A music critic and incredible stylist. He's the William Faulkner of rockandroll scribblers.

• @DefRobot said:

@Zen210507 said:

Repulse the Monkey is a Tai-chi technique. But we found it in the SF novel ‘Darklife.’

Yep.

The Who

I always thought ‘The Who’ was terrible and has given me a dislike of them. Do like some of their songs though.

The Velvet Underground is one of my top 5 bands ever, but it is a horrible name. On a level with Strawberry Alarm Clock or such. I have always been one of those people who call them the Velvets in order to avoid saying that stupid name.

• @JeffChasteen I just saw your edited list. You’ve been busy over the years!
    I also like Catbirds, The Box Devils and The One and only Milky Way.
    What I don’t get, is bands that choose names that have gone before! Many examples of this!

• One group I was in searched a database of retired racehorse names. Ultimately we couldn’t settle on one which is typical of any band I guess.

My favorite was Luscious Duchess.

• edited December 2017

@DefRobot said:
    @JeffChasteen I just saw your edited list. You’ve been busy over the years!
    I also like Catbirds, The Box Devils and The One and only Milky Way.
    What I don’t get, is bands that choose names that have gone before! Many examples of this!

Ha!
    I prematurely posted because a senile cat was digging his claws into my leg!

I am always astonished by the lawsuits that ensue when someone uses a previous name. Even when the previous band was obscure. An example is when a British folk duo from the 60s received a $100K payout from Cobain & Co/Geffen for the use of the name "Nirvana"

One of my bands above, General Jack & The Greaseguns, received a cease and desist letter from the attorneys for the hydraulic jack shop from which we nicked the name. We shortened the name for in town use, but still used the full name out of state.

• edited December 2017

@noisefan said:
    One group I was in searched a database of retired racehorse names. Ultimately we couldn’t settle on one which is typical of any band I guess.

My favorite was Luscious Duchess.

This is a good idea and goes along the lines of that random name generator.
    I always found that bands I was in, settled on names that were least inoffensive or that we all didn’t hate. A bit like Magnolia as a colour scheme.

• @JeffChasteen
    Senile Cat! Great jazz band name!

• Quite sadly, I have a notepad list containing band names. This is now growing considerably with the random band name generator, so thanks @Kandavu !

• @DefRobot said:

1. I wanted something totally unique so that anyone searching for me online would always come to the right place. I made my name up from scratch, no really hidden meaning behind it other than that.
    2. Very.
    3. Very, a unique identity/brand online as a band or musician is critical IMVHO.
    4. DJ Bag O’Donuts
  • @Tarekith said:

@DefRobot said:

1. I wanted something totally unique so that anyone searching for me online would always come to the right place. I made my name up from scratch, no really hidden meaning behind it other than that.
    2. Very.
    3. Very, a unique identity/brand online as a band or musician is critical IMVHO.
    4. DJ Bag O’Donuts

Yeah, I remembered ‘Tarekith’ as soon as you gave advice on mastering. Sounds like something from Star Trek.
    I think it’s a good idea to make up a name. There’s literally thousands of artists past and present. Think of a name - google it - it’s taken!

• edited December 2017

I won several grammies as 'Hacksel Foley'

I took Axel Foley and put an H in front of it.

:)

As important as anything else in the universe. Completely insignificant and pointless.

Hacksel Foley

• edited December 2017

So, on a different tangent, here are some bands that have made it big, despite having a shit name.
    Coldplay
    Radiohead
    Oasis
    Blur
    The Kings of Leon

• Coldhead
    Radiosis
    Headplay
    Blurosis
    The Tangential King Leonosis

• We did alright as the Revolving Rectums.

• edited December 2017

@DefRobot said:

What I like about The Who, as a band name, is the sheer simplicity, while at the same time asking a provocative question.

There are, of course, lots of names that are smarter, wittier, more meaningful, etc - Procul Harum, Dire Straits, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Orchestral Maneouvres in the Dark, Kissing the Pink, The Duckworth Lewis Method...

But put all of the above together, and despite all making fabulous music, they have nothing as recognisable as the Who Mod logo.

• @AudioGus said:
    Coldhead
    Radiosis
    Headplay
    Blurosis
    The Tangential King Leonosis

I’m guessing that you think a name is inconsequential?
    I certainly think it can be a chainaround the neck.

• @Bluepunk said:
    We did alright as the Revolving Rectums.

I would imagine that you had a rivalry with the Revolting Cocks?

• @DefRobot said:
    Quite sadly, I have a notepad list containing band names. This is now growing considerably with the random band name generator, so thanks @Kandavu !

He he, I’ve generated one or two keepers as well. Keeping them under wraps just in case.

• Cod Bliver Boil is kind of neat