Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: watching YouTube vids on an ipad

edited December 2017 in Other

Is it just me, or has watching vids on YouTube become a real faff recently?

A few weeks back I’d tap the video once anywhere on the playing area, and it’d bring up the controls to play, pause or scroll. Easy.

Now it doesn’t - it pauses the video on the first tap, so I now have to get my first tap exactly on the bottom centimetre of the screen. But that doesn’t always work, and if I’m a couple of millimetres out and hit the scroll bar, it does that instead and zooms off halfway through the vid.

Scrolling itself is a nightmare - I either end up bringing up the settings, or pausing the video, or nothing.

Sometimes the onscreen controls fade after a few seconds, occasionally they either don’t appear or stay on screen the whole time.

I used to love using the iPad to watch YouTube vids, now it’s just horrible. Can’t work out if this is an iOS/safari thing or YouTube have ‘improved’ their website.

Comments

• I use the app, seems OK for me.

• edited December 2017

@TheVimFuego said:
    I use the app, seems OK for me.

Not the app, the website via Safari. Maybe I need to use the app instead now.

• The app is great, much better than the browser, although sometimes when you want to go back to a vid you watched a few back it can get a bit awkward, as there's no back button (that I know of), just the ability to swipe-to-close the current one and take you back to your home screen, or your list of search results. This aside I still think it's a great experience.

• I believe the saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Someone at YouTube should get on that.

• @noodldoodl said:
    The app is great, much better than the browser, although sometimes when you want to go back to a vid you watched a few back it can get a bit awkward, as there's no back button (that I know of), just the ability to swipe-to-close the current one and take you back to your home screen, or your list of search results. This aside I still think it's a great experience.

I'm noticing that sometimes the video just freezes if I hit the back button (on the website), and nothing happens. I can't tell whether they've changed the website or it's Safari but it's a horrible experience now.

@enc said:
    I believe the saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Someone at YouTube should get on that.

I hate using the iPad for watching videos now, it used to be a lovely thing but they've totally mucked it up. I'll try the app, can't be any worse.

• Video on iOS 11 is completely kufced up.

For me at least. There doesn't appear to be too much noise about it on my Google searches though.

• You can fins some apps to watch YT with some extra features, like playlists, etc.

For example, iVideoTube - Youtube Video Player (among others).

• Yeh, the app has its navigational issues and could do with some refinement but I also find using Safari frustrating for YouTube.

• Seems ok using the desktop page rather then the mobile one. One advantage over the app is that you can use the Safari ad blockers.

• edited December 2017

I have found recently that the filters no longer work- so if I want to say search for videos as per date added- will not work. There is no little tick to tap on now once you have made your selection.

• I use Safari. I try to avoid using stand alone apps for anything that can be done in a web browser. Your iPad can quickly become cluttered with unnecessary junk. I need a dedicated app to order pizza? Bish, pleeze. So I don’t use the YouTube app, or the Facebook app, Ebay app, etc...

However, what has infuriated me forever when viewing YT videos in Safari is that they default to low resolution and I have to go to the cogwheel to change it to HD every frickin time! There doesn’t seem to be any way to set it as a preference in Safari or thru YouTube. Then just this week, clicking on the cogwheel stopped working! Now I’m FORCED to watch only in low res with no way to change it!!!

Other recent de-provements include this new “Tap To Unmute” thing. WT literal F, YouTube/Apple?

I’ve started turning to Firefox as my iOS browser. At least the cogwheel HD option still works there.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I use Safari. I try to avoid using stand alone apps for anything that can be done in a web browser. Your iPad can quickly become cluttered with unnecessary junk. I need a dedicated app to order pizza? Bish, pleeze. So I don’t use the YouTube app, or the Facebook app, Ebay app, etc...

However, what has infuriated me forever when viewing YT videos in Safari is that they default to low resolution and I have to go to the cogwheel to change it to HD every frickin time! There doesn’t seem to be any way to set it as a preference in Safari or thru YouTube. Then just this week, clicking on the cogwheel stopped working! Now I’m FORCED to watch only in low res with no way to change it!!!

Other recent de-provements include this new “Tap To Unmute” thing. WT literal F, YouTube/Apple?

I’ve started turning to Firefox as my iOS browser. At least the cogwheel HD option still works there.

It’s frustrating they limit the resolution on iOS devices, means I can’t grab high quality audio to sample. Don’t think they allow 1080.

I’ll have to have a go with Firefox - didn’t think of doing that (I try and avoid using apps for stuff like this), as the YouTube navigation in Safari is driving me nutty.

• edited December 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I use Safari. I try to avoid using stand alone apps for anything that can be done in a web browser. Your iPad can quickly become cluttered with unnecessary junk. I need a dedicated app to order pizza? Bish, pleeze. So I don’t use the YouTube app, or the Facebook app, Ebay app, etc...

It’s frustrating they limit the resolution on iOS devices, means I can’t grab high quality audio to sample. Don’t think they allow 1080.

I’ll have to have a go with Firefox - didn’t think of doing that (I try and avoid using apps for stuff like this), as the YouTube navigation in Safari is driving me nutty.

Nothing higher than 720p on iOS. Just checked and there appears no way to set 720 as default in iOS Firefox. But at least you can change it. Safari is now stuck on 360p. It may be an iOS 11 bug, as I just updated to 11 this week.

Reluctantly, I just downloaded YouTube iPad app, and it looks like they finally added the ability to default to 720p there. Will see how it goes. Still generally opposed to stand alone apps, but will give in when it offers something that cannot be done any other way.

• edited December 2017

@Lady_App_titude said:

Reluctantly, I just downloaded YouTube iPad app, and it looks like they finally added the ability to default to 720p there. Will see how it goes. Still generally opposed to stand alone apps, but will give in when it offers something that cannot be done any other way.

No go. Just deleted it off my iPad. No ad blocking in YouTube app! Can’t deal.

Like Daryl says: “Don’t even think about it now say no go.”

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

No go. Just deleted it off my iPad. No ad blocking in YouTube app! Can’t deal.

Like Daryl says: “Don’t even think about it now say no go.”

Thanks for the warning, I’ll give that a miss then...

• I hate Youtube on mobile devices. Too many ads and no BG functionality. Unless you pay up, of course.

• Hmmm, I use the iOS YouTube app and my uploaded videos and others' show up to 1080. On iPad I don't seem to have too msny navigation problems.

• @TozBourne Do you use the paid version (red is it?)? I wonder if they limit your resolution in the free app as well as the other things I mentioned.

• I started to hate YT some months before - because of the "recommendations". I just don't want any "AI" recommendation by youtube. But this is impossible - the small, friendly Google company just want to manipulate/influence us.

We are the laboratory rats for Goggle AI. They have big plans for us. And i hate it.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Nothing higher than 720p on iOS. Just checked and there appears no way to set 720 as default in iOS Firefox. But at least you can change it. Safari is now stuck on 360p. It may be an iOS 11 bug, as I just updated to 11 this week.

You can watch 1080p in safari but you first have to hit the share button and select request desktop site. Unfortunately it does not remember this so you have to do it evertime you visit the site.

• I find the app behaves a lot better than the website on iOS. I have a fair bit of storage on the iPad, so I do install aps for the services I use the most. They tend to handle the network traffic a lot better, so especially with youtube, I get fewer stuck videos.

Youtube is still the greatest time waster in the history of humanity. Not that it's all bad stuff, it's just so easy to get lost for an hour or two. Or three or five.

• I love it. While Mrs M is watching Strictly Tedious Dancing on the telly, I’ll look up obscure Daevid Allen videos and disappear down a wormhole for an hour.

The new clunky nav is just mucking everything up for me though. I can’t browse through the vid without making it pause, or bringing up the subtitles menu, or knocking the scroll too far.

Why do web developers keep screwing up stuff that was working perfectly well before? I’d sack the lot of them.

• edited December 2017

@CracklePot said:
    @TozBourne Do you use the paid version (red is it?)? I wonder if they limit your resolution in the free app as well as the other things I mentioned.

Naw, just the free stuff. But this discussion makes me wonder because obviously some of us are seeing different levels of quality. I know in the past (like on a gamer’s channel) I’ve seen quality as high as 1080-60fps. But can’t recall that I’ve seen that option recently.

• @TozBourne said:

@CracklePot said:
    @TozBourne Do you use the paid version (red is it?)? I wonder if they limit your resolution in the free app as well as the other things I mentioned.

Naw, just the free stuff. But this discussion makes me wonder because obviously some of us are seeing different levels of quality. I know in the past (like on a gamer’s channel) I’ve seen quality as high as 1080-60fps. But can’t recall that I’ve seen that option recently.

I was imprecise in my earlier statement. You can play all sorts of video formats on an iPad. What I meant was that 720p is the highest option for YouTube videos in the mobile Safari browser (also mobile Firefox and mobile Chrome). It’s possible that 1080p would be available on some other website or in some other app.

I was speaking strictly about YouTube in mobile Safari. And currently it appears that under iOS 11.1.2. the Quality option under the cogwheel is broken, so you cannot change the quality at all. At least it is for me. I can change it in FireFox or Chrome, but tapping the cogwheel in Safari does nothing on my iPad. Can anyone else confirm?

• One thing that has started to piss me off in the past month or two is that the symbiosis between my iPad Pro playing YouTube and my Apple TV 4 playing the thing I’m playing on YouTube over Airplay to play it on my telly (which is how I view all YouTube) has lately become a bit buggered up. It plays fine first time, then second, but soon after it will forget to play the video on the telly and only the sound will come out of the telly, the video plays on the iPad. Then after a while it’ll just give me an interminable buffering or loading action, no attempt at actually playing anything anywhere.

Of course, this arrangement has been working perfectly fine and normally over the past year or so on exactly the same system with the same components. Until very recently.

• edited December 2017

@Lady_App_titude It's crazy. I am able to choose 1080p while watching a music video on Youtube inside of Safari. Are you going into the 3 vertical dots on the upper-right corner to access quality? It also says my default is 720p.

• I have to say I really enjoyed my 3-month free trial of YouTube Red via the app. So much so that I’m still considering just caving and paying for it given that I listen to a TON of stuff that isn’t on Spotify.

I don’t mind the ads so much, but the non-background playing is one of the cheapest, dirtiest cash grabs I can ever think of.

• Oh yeah, I forgot my obvious question: Is there a background audio third-party YouTube app?

• @CracklePot said:
    @Lady_App_titude It's crazy. I am able to choose 1080p while watching a music video on Youtube inside of Safari. Are you going into the 3 vertical dots on the upper-right corner to access quality? It also says my default is 720p.

No, I am talking about the cogwheel in the lower right corner of the video. That is the only place I have ever seen settings for quality. I used to be able to change it by tapping on it. Since updating to iOS 11 this week, tapping on it does nothing.

The 3 little dots does not show any information about quality. All I get is this:

• And clicking on “Settings“ in that screen presents only these options. Nothing about quality.