Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Where are you at with Audiobus3 ?

The aim of this is not to be critical for the sake of. My aim is to give the guys developing Audiobus and apps in general some feedback - both positive and negative (but always constructive) :) or just to relate some ideas of how you are using Audiobus. This is an Audiobus forum after all! ;)

I’ve only recently bought the MF midi apps for Audiobus 3 and have to say, they bring AB to life for myself!

What’s working for me:

1. The keyboard with splits and layers was a much needed feature for myself, as I often use an onscreen keyboard while taking my iPad everywhere.

2. The midi feature is a great feature and is becoming far more useful as apps become compatible.

3. The addition of the mixer expands AB uses.

4. The ability to load AUM within AB as a single save, is so very important - AUM and AB3 work well together :)

What I would like to see:

1. It is not possible (I believe) to have an onscreen keyboard when showing an AU FX app. There is a gap there and it’s happens when showing an instrument, but no keyboard. This is so very important to myself to play notes while setting up the FX.

1. While most likely not to do with AB, but an issue with the MF apps, but I have experienced splits and layers changing after a save. This does not happen all the time, but makes quick loading while jamming problematic.

2. Far more devs need to make their apps save settings for loading within AB. Loading a save and then having to redo all the FX settings as they have loaded back to the default programs is time consuming and just not fun!

Hoping to see Audiobus take onboard the new AU midi spec in iOS 11

All my best to the Audiobus team :)

Comments

• At this time, I have AB 2 and AB 3 installed, but am out of the habit of using them. I feel sure this will turn around, as musical dabbling waxes and wanes from one method to another. Right now, though, the AB forum is something I use every day, as opposed to the app.

FWIW, the AB feature that did - and will do again - the most for me and my collaborators, was State Saving. Apps that supported that, such as Novation Launchpad, I tended to make great use of, apps that ignored it, such as ReMix Live, I found to be more trouble than they were worth. Not that ReMix Live isn’t a good app, but having to note down and manually input settings every session was a pain.

As Fruitbat says, far more devs need to understand the above and stop ignoring requests. Even now, a consideration in buying a new App is whether it includes AB state saving. The single biggest waste of my time when dabbling in music making is having to restore settings.

• AB3 has been working well for me in iOS 11 . My biggest usage is using it with AUM as the audio mixer and AB3 as the midi sender with the filters. Perhaps I expected to see a few more filters on sale by now and only a handful of apps have converted for use in the filter slot. But I think AU midi fx will start to happen very soon.

So I'd really like for it to have AU midi out/fx support, multi audio outs and mixbus support to give it a bit of independence away from AUM as it's a bit much for an Air 2 to have AB3/AUM + loads of apps running at once with some current apps.

My wishlist for AB3 is big :) but I think AU midi out support is the most important for now to keep it up to date.

State saving is awesome when it works though.
    And preset folders pretty please :)

• @Carnbot said:
    AB3 has been working well for me in iOS 11 . My biggest usage is using it with AUM as the audio mixer and AB3 as the midi sender with the filters. Perhaps I expected to see a few more filters on sale by now and only a handful of apps have converted for use in the filter slot. But I think AU midi fx will start to happen very soon.

So I'd really like for it to have AU midi out/fx support, multi audio outs and mixbus support to give it a bit of independence away from AUM as it's a bit much for an Air 2 to have AB3/AUM + loads of apps running at once with some current apps.

My wishlist for AB3 is big :) but I think AU midi out support is the most important for now to keep it up to date.

Yeah the Air2 is really starting to get tested of late - I really have to start saving for another iPad lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:
    AB3 has been working well for me in iOS 11 . My biggest usage is using it with AUM as the audio mixer and AB3 as the midi sender with the filters. Perhaps I expected to see a few more filters on sale by now and only a handful of apps have converted for use in the filter slot. But I think AU midi fx will start to happen very soon.

Yeah the Air2 is really starting to get tested of late - I really have to start saving for another iPad lol

Worse for me using and Air1. I no longer bother to do the AB+AUM setup.
    But I like that transport control AB has over all playheads.

ALSO...

I never asked this because I figured I was probably thick but...
    AB3 doesn't have Midi learn as AUM, correct?