Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Crudebyte Oriental Strings - Legato/Various articulations?

Hi all, I picked up a Oriental Strings on sale for Black Friday, definitely a steal for a couple bucks. I was just wondering if anybody knew how I can use legato articulations and alternate articulations for realistic sounds? If anybody could share their workflow, specifically using it as an audio unit, I would be reasonably grateful.

Best,
Isolator707

Comments

• Sadly I really don’t think there is. I hope someone proves me wrong. While you can have several different parts triggered via different midi channels, I don’t find anything realistic in legato land because the samples don’t match well. Same goes for iSymphonic which has a lot more going on, sound-wise. Even the legato patches don’t sound very legit in my opinion.

• @DCJ said:
    Sadly I really don’t think there is. I hope someone proves me wrong. While you can have several different parts triggered via different midi channels, I don’t find anything realistic in legato land because the samples don’t match well. Same goes for iSymphonic which has a lot more going on, sound-wise. Even the legato patches don’t sound very legit in my opinion.

Thanks! I suppose i’ll have to play around with it some more

• I think you have to load a different type of instrument/sample set. You can see that some of the instrument presets have articulation types in the names. Since this app is AU, I suppose you could load up multiple instances with different articulation types in each and try to trigger the correct articulation when you need to using some Midi channel mapping or some other overly-complicated scenario, but that would be quite daunting to attempt for less experienced users such as myself.

• This is a problem on iOS in general, finding an app where you can use key switches, essentially, to swap which sample you're using, by phrase or note. It's normal on desktops, in DAWs and notation software such as Sibelius.

• The Strings and Guitar touch instruments have a kind of key switching, and of course Notion does, but I wish some other ios instruments would address this.

• Meant to say, the Strings and Guitar touch instruments in Garageband.

• It is a tough problem for even the best software and sample libraries on a computer to handle. Just too many possibilities IMHO. Barns and Nobles used to sell the full score to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring for less than $20. Find a copy of that and be prepared to see all sorts of articulations, muting, harmonics, and the 4 main string sections subdivided themselves doing different techniques.

http://beststudentviolins.com/terms.html#articulation

• I think this is different to your problem but my problem with iSymphonic was that very few of the samples had quick enough attack for me. -being strings, I thought it'd be my best app choice for classic disco string 'drops' on iOS. I plonked for 3 IAPs on a bit of a gamble I guess but t never really worked out for me. Everything has its use though...