Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are iOS analogue synths actually analogue

Or are they digital recreations?

I mean, iOS devices are digital right?

Comments

• Definitely analogue. No doubt. Just listen to Zeeon or Model 15. Case closed.

• Yes all IOS synths are digital, even the most analogue sounding are digital recreations.

• Yup. The voltage fairy comes at night when you’re sleeping and goes to work on the inside of your iPad after your app purchase.

• @ipadthai said:
    Yup. The voltage fairy comes at night when you’re sleeping and goes to work on the inside of your iPad after your app purchase.

:lol:

• Some people would argue that they are not actually synthesizers either.

• I would say they are virtually analog.

• Only the iPad versions are analogue. It’s too much work to do analogue on the iPhone.

• edited November 2017

Analogue traditionally refers to being comprised of electrical components: capacitors, resistors, potentiometer, etc. By this definition nothing on your iPad is analogue - it is a digital because is is comprised of computer code.

Analogue in the sense of an "analog synth" refers to a digitally created or "virtual" recreation of an analogue circuit, or a synthesizner inspired by older analogue synthesizers. This is more of a stylistic choice now by the developer as to how they want the synth to behave and therefore sound.

Hope that helps.

• @wim said:
    Only the iPad versions are analogue. It’s too much work to do analogue on the iPhone.

I really did laugh out loud.

• In theory virtual analog means it's a digital simulation of an analog circuit. But in practice it varies. Some 'virtual analog' synths (and amps) are very accurate models of old circuitry. Other virtual analog synths simply use digital techniques that get you closer to that analog sound. As to which is better... well it depends.

• cant wait for the iPad Pro Analogue version

Probably be big as a old CRT TV, but it sounds so good and warm

• No....but some of them sounds like they were :)

• @waynerowand said:
    Proper analogue

Velocity sensitive keyboard.

• I think the closest to analog emulation we have on ios would be Moog 15 and Ivcs3, which as soon as they are opened maintain the signal flow just like old analog synths did back in the days. And it shows in the richness of their tunes.

• @Ben said:

@waynerowand said:
    Proper analogue

Velocity sensitive keyboard.

OK, somebody's got to say it, so I will: Proper catalogue.

• @waynerowand said:
    Proper analogue

Looks moggy to me.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@waynerowand said:
    Proper analogue

Looks moggy to me.

Sounds great with a fuzz pedal.

• @Love3quency you gotta admit this is a clickbaity thread at this point....

• We live in the matrix (simulation), so all analog synths are in fact digital. ;) btw. what a thread!

• All this concern about being ‘analog’, when the latest way to sound nirvana is reduction! We need bit reduction on everything. We need a whole new era of 8 and 12 bit sound. We need reduced available track counts. We need less less less of everything except hair! We need more and big hair - yes we need to go back to the 80’s ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    All this concern about being ‘analog’, when the latest way to sound nirvana is reduction! We need bit reduction on everything. We need a whole new era of 8 and 12 bit sound. We need reduced available track counts. We need less less less of everything except hair! We need more and big hair - yes we need to go back to the 80’s ;)

I'm partial to 6bit actually. 8bit is too many bits!

• @Love3quency said:
    Or are they digital recreations?

I mean, iOS devices are digital right?

There is no such thing like a digital synth. Why?

1. You can hear it physically (translate: analogue)
    2. You have to touch a display physically
    3. Almost all analogue synths do have digital components - just like your iPad

(...stamping my foot on the ground, to give these cheesy arguments a bit more weight, physically)

• Depends if you have a headphone

• @waynerowand said:
    Proper analogue

Anything else is cheating!

• It's all abstract with a little dash of uncertainty, so usually it enters the analogue domain at some point, then the observers ears, maybe then the brain.

• edited November 2017

Also. The ipad itself isn't digital. It has physical components. Hence analogue.
    /Thread

• edited November 2017

@Rubooch said:
    Proper analogue

Anything else is cheating!

Indeed, this is the closest to a real analog synth - it's impossible to keep in tune.