Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latest upgrades to spaceship Dhalang

in version 3.6 (iOS) and 3.4(mac)

New:

• Matrix mode for vector sequencer X part generation.
  • New control automation target: Tuning Base Frequency for quick&dirty modulation.
    Fixed:

• DSP bugs found and fixed that sometimes caused synth to fail at initialisation.

• Statemachines now rewind only on stop if stop-rewind enabled & machine online.
  • Loading new project clears previous sampler memories.
  • Online rendering fixed to perfection - no more buffer repeats.
  • Fixes to control view loop point editing.
  • Vector copy -> paste update fixed.
  • Various UI bugs fixed here and there.

Also now with AB3 support, but not yet AB midi (some issues with mixing C++ and Obj-C codes, that I am currently solving).
Maybe full AB midi support in the next iOS version.

Comments

• @Hypertonal Are you able to fly this ship?

• I would love to fly the ship. It has so many cool features. I just don't think it sounds very good.

• @CracklePot said:
    @Hypertonal Are you able to fly this ship?
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I would love to fly the ship. It has so many cool features. I just don't think it sounds very good.

Well it's not a preset-based software. You need to program everything by yourself to get your own sound.
    https://zadarpadov.bandcamp.com/ <= all music here is made with dhalang mg only.

• edited November 2017

@Hypertonal said:

@CracklePot said:
    I would love to fly the ship. It has so many cool features. I just don't think it sounds very good.

Well it's not a preset-based software. You need to program everything by yourself to get your own sound.
    https://zadarpadov.bandcamp.com/ <= all music here is made with dhalang mg only.

Seriously... anyone remotely interested in Dhalang MG, check out that bandcamp link and listen to a little of every track. It's incredible what Dhalang MG is capable of. I don't have the skill to do anything close to this, but what was accomplished with this app is stunning.

I mean... I can't believe such a convincing sound was achieved with just Dhalang and that several tracks sound like a good live recording in a club with excellent acoustics.

• edited November 2017

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@CracklePot said:

Seriously... anyone remotely interested in Dhalang MG, check out that bandcamp link and listen to a little of every track. It's incredible what Dhalang MG is capable of. I don't have the skill to do anything close to this, but what was accomplished with this app is stunning.

I mean... I can't believe such a convincing sound was achieved with just Dhalang and that several tracks sound like a good live recording in a club with excellent acoustics.

Mind that the bandcamp webplayer is very low quality (compressed to 128 or 160 kbps) but all the albums are free to download in high quality (just enter zero for price, if you like).

If someone doesn't believe that all that is made with dhalang, just ask for a .dhl file for any of these tracks on the contact form and i'll send it to you :) http://hypertonal.net/dhalang/contact.php I can also send these files just to help figuring things out.

btw, I'm currently working on a surf rock album that uses Indian and Arabic just intonation system/scales. Did you know that Dick Dale got his idea for surf rock from his own middle-eastern background, instruments and scales.

• edited November 2017

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@CracklePot said:

Mind that the bandcamp webplayer is very low quality (compressed to 128 or 160 kbps) but all the albums are free to download in high quality (just enter zero for price, if you like).

If someone doesn't believe that all that is made with dhalang, just ask for a .dhl file for any of these tracks on the contact form and i'll send it to you :) http://hypertonal.net/dhalang/contact.php I can also send these files just to help figuring things out.

btw, I'm currently working on a surf rock album that uses Indian and Arabic just intonation system/scales. Did you know that Dick Dale got his idea for surf rock from his own middle-eastern background, instruments and scales.

I’d definitely like to get a .dhl file, but could I get maybe 3 that are dramatically different from each other? How big are these files in general? It’s incredible to me that you were able create these sounds using nothing but Dhalang. I know it’s completely due to your skill, but I’ve spent enough time in Dhalang now that merely seeing the magic under the board, so to speak, would be fascinating.

Just sent a note on your contact link.

• @Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@CracklePot said:

I knew that about Dale, and you have a wonderful idea there. Please keep us updated; I am looking forward to it.

• I am trying to work my way up to Dhalang. I could sense the power long ago, but could not grasp how to tap into it. I may have another try on the free version very soon. That bandcamp link is very motivating. I don't even know what else to say about it except that it is quite amazing.

• edited November 2017

@Hypertonal Hey, could you explain how the new matrix mode for vector sequencer works? I see the X matrix is for time has a grid size setting and the Y matrix does not. I don’t understand what it’s doing. When set as matrix, they’re just blank, but I can see they’re effecting the vector sequence in an interesting way if I’ve also got a piano roll sequence going. No clue what’s actually going on.

• @skiphunt said:
    @Hypertonal Hey, could you explain how the new matrix mode for vector sequencer works? I see the X matrix is for time has a grid size setting and the Y matrix does not. I don’t understand what it’s doing. When set as matrix, they’re just blank, but I can see they’re effecting the vector sequence in an interesting way if I’ve also got a piano roll sequence going. No clue what’s actually going on.

I know the vector matrix modes are bit strange, a feature added later just because "what if..."
    But they just switch the x or y selection to function just like in matrix sequencer. They switch to blank because they are then using the corresponding matrix at matrix sequencer. for example vector-01 uses matrix-01, vector-02 uses matrix-02 .. and so forth. So when vector part is in matrix mode, instead of patterns and stochastic selection, it uses markov chain selection with probability data from the corresponding matrix.

• @Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

I know the vector matrix modes are bit strange, a feature added later just because "what if..."
    But they just switch the x or y selection to function just like in matrix sequencer. They switch to blank because they are then using the corresponding matrix at matrix sequencer. for example vector-01 uses matrix-01, vector-02 uses matrix-02 .. and so forth. So when vector part is in matrix mode, instead of patterns and stochastic selection, it uses markov chain selection with probability data from the corresponding matrix.

I added this feature to make it possible to have very static/pattern-like rhythm for markov-chain melody as markov-chain rhythm is always little around the places.

• If a person is a novice this is not for them.

The app is a sonic jewel.

Whenever I have ample time and creative juices flowing there is nothing like this app for total immersion.

I have the MAC version as well and can say that the MAC version helped me greatly in the iOS version.

There isn't much this app can't do.

There aren't many sounds this app can't produce or play?

I am totally confused for anyone who says anything negative about the quality of this app.

This app is not for the faint of heart, patience, or overall brain power to be totally honest.

IT IS A MASTERPIECE IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN.

Case closed. Fuck off and don't even respond to my post. You know how I feel.

• @Hypertonal said:

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

I added this feature to make it possible to have very static/pattern-like rhythm for markov-chain melody as markov-chain rhythm is always little around the places.

Can you post audio example of that for me please?

Or a link?

I am still working on my first full length piece on this.

Totally inspired by your work on it.

• edited November 2017

@CracklePot said:
    I may have another try on the free version very soon.

Thanks, I didn’t even notice the free version. Def gonna try it, looks amazing!

• @RUST( i )K said:
    If a person is a novice this is not for them.

Whenever I have ample time and creative juices flowing there is nothing like this app for total immersion.

I have the MAC version as well and can say that the MAC version helped me greatly in the iOS version.

I am totally confused for anyone who says anything negative about the quality of this app.

This app is not for the faint of heart, patience, or overall brain power to be totally honest.

+1 100% Agree. Oops! I wasn't supposed to respond to your post. lol ;)

• @Hypertonal said:

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

Oh cool! That makes sense. So, what happens if you select matrix on a vector-01 sequence for both X and Y? Do they both use the same matrix-01 for both time and space? Is that basically redundant, or are X and Y handled differently in this scenario, even though they're referencing the same matrix-01 data?

• @skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:

+1 100% Agree. Oops! I wasn't supposed to respond to your post. lol ;)

LOL

• @skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

Oh cool! That makes sense. So, what happens if you select matrix on a vector-01 sequence for both X and Y? Do they both use the same matrix-01 for both time and space? Is that basically redundant, or are X and Y handled differently in this scenario, even though they're referencing the same matrix-01 data?

both vector x and y parts in matrix mode is basically the same as running just a matrix sequencer, but with vector's returner and phrase loop etc.

• @RUST( i )K said:

I am digging your poetic style. B)

• @CracklePot said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I am digging your poetic style. B)

Much Henry Miller books, Sun Tzu writings, along with plenty Public Enemy and Whitney Houston lyrics will do that.

:D

• edited November 2017

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

both vector x and y parts in matrix mode is basically the same as running just a matrix sequencer, but with vector's returner and phrase loop etc.

@Hypertonal Got the .dhl files. Thanks! Quick question, I noticed in the track “Winter Swamp” that vector-01 plays, but it doesn’t have an instrument target, and no piano roll. So, you’re basically using the first vector track for timing for the other sequences? And I see there’s basically no probability used that track at all. Correct? I could never figure out how to get precise sequences like you get, but it never occurred to me to do it this way.

FYI: for those of you on the forum interested in learning Dhalang MG, take Joel up on his offer to send you one of his finished bandcamp tracks he referenced above in .dhl format that you can open in Dhalang (not sure if the free version loads the .dhl files those though).

Highly recommended instructional method! After you get the basics of how the app works, these tracks are excellent for solo’ing each sequence to see/hear how he created it, altering his settings to kind of remix, and seeing how he dialed in each instrument sound is VERY helpful.

I’d recommend watching all the videos on his site first. As mentioned before, this isn’t a quicky, preset app for instant gratification. Nothing wrong with those at all, but if you’re willing to put in a little time, this app is pure genius and capable of magnificent sound in the right hands. He also gives you most of the meat of the app in the free LITE version too.

• Skip found out that the online render is not working on the current iOS version at all.
    Somehow the native iOS 11 notifications (about offline rendering) crashes the app when shown with a concurrent rendering thread.
    Those ever-changing iOS SDKs are such a pain to develop with.. Would really have to test every single thing in the low-level C++ app for every single iOS update which comes like from a factory line once every month.

I have already fixed this for the next update by removing the notifications completely.
    But you can render/record live output also from audiobus, AUM, etc.

• iOS updates sound painful! Thanks for the project files @Hypertonal. Have not had a chance to play. Hopefully this weekend.

• One small update (3.8 on iOS) to add more anti-aliasing on the saw and square oscillators. Now more nicer high frequencies but less thick low frequencies. a tradeoff why there's dedicated bass synthesizers. Affects mostly analog and additive synths.

Both free Lite version also updated to current state.

And some new DMG-made music: https://zadarpadov.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-rider

• edited December 2017

@Hypertonal said:
    One small update (3.8 on iOS) to add more anti-aliasing on the saw and square oscillators. Now more nicer high frequencies but less thick low frequencies. a tradeoff why there's dedicated bass synthesizers. Affects mostly analog and additive synths.

This is really terrific stuff Joel!!! Is this release ALSO 100% created in Dhalang MG? Or, are you using some samples created outside of Dhalang too? Also, what system do you mostly use Dhalang MG on for your personal stuff?

• @skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:
    One small update (3.8 on iOS) to add more anti-aliasing on the saw and square oscillators. Now more nicer high frequencies but less thick low frequencies. a tradeoff why there's dedicated bass synthesizers. Affects mostly analog and additive synths.

This is really terrific stuff Joel!!! Is this release ALSO 100% created in Dhalang MG? Or, are you using some samples created outside of Dhalang too? Also, what system do you mostly use Dhalang MG on for your personal stuff?

I don't think it's 100% Dhalang MG, but it certainly does sound great.
    Fantastic even.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

Fantastic even.

He's pretty talented I think. I'm not a musician, so getting these kinds of compositions out of Dhalang MG isn't in my wheelhouse at the moment, but I DO know he's capable or producing music that sounds very close, if not identical to traditional instrument playing. I know this for a fact because he's sent me (and any other Dhalang owner who asks) his Dhalang source files. I've loaded them up in Dhalang, played them, solo'd out each instrument to see how he's getting the sound. It's remarkable really.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new release is mostly (if not all) created in Dhalang only.

• @skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

Fantastic even.

He's pretty talented I think. I'm not a musician, so getting these kinds of compositions out of Dhalang MG isn't in my wheelhouse at the moment, but I DO know he's capable or producing music that sounds very close, if not identical to traditional instrument playing. I know this for a fact because he's sent me (and any other Dhalang owner who asks) his Dhalang source files. I've loaded them up in Dhalang, played them, solo'd out each instrument to see how he's getting the sound. It's remarkable really.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new release is mostly (if not all) created in Dhalang only.

He is really talented. However, Skip you must stop right now. You have me ready to drop 20 bills on this app! :D

• @JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

Fantastic even.

He is really talented. However, Skip you must stop right now. You have me ready to drop 20 bills on this app! :D

I’ve never regretted it. :)

If you go for it, after you’ve watched the videos from his site... ask him to send you one of his released bandcamp source files for Dhalang. Very helpful!

It’s a deep and complex piece of software, but it’s not as intimidating as it looks.

• Like many here on this great iOS forum, I have 90% of all music apps. But I only own the free Lite version of this app. It seems like a perfect app if you are willing to dive deep into the endless possibilities of which the creator has provided. I think highly of the programmer for updating the free version to coincide with the paid version. My only squib is that I cannot load the tutorial files into the lite version as to gain more knowledge of how this app works and thus allows me to discect the files to better understand the inner workings (please enlighten me if this is the case). Twenty bucks is not too much to ask for an app of this magnitude but I find it a bit too difficult to grasp without a chance to experience the brilliant tutorials before such purchase. Irregardless, thank you for coding such an evulionary iOS app. Those clips are exceptional.