Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Getting around lack of input support for GarageBand

Good evening all! I'm exploring incorporating Audiobus into my iOS workflow for my music, but wanted to get some feedback regarding my thoughts towards its implementation. My current setup is pretty basic:

iPad mic for recording
GarageBand as DAW

And my usual instruments follow a similar simplicity:

Occasional vocals
Acoustic guitar
GarageBand instruments (mainly strings with MIDI controller)

I love the simplicity of GB, but I hate the fact that you can't do much post production beyond adding delay and reverb. And given the fact the GB doesn't support its being used as an input with Audiobus, there aren't many other options. With that in mind, I'm trying to expand my workflow to include other apps that do have those additional features for post production that I'm looking for. Specifically, I'm looking at Audio Mastering Studio as my main mastering app for EQ, etc. That said (and this may be asking for the moon here) I would like some flexibility to possibly adjust my individual tracks BEFORE doing a complete mixdown (being limited to the iPad mic doesn't always lend itself to getting great quality audio). To reach a workaround for GB's lack of input, is it possible to use AudioShare as the input, copy the relevant track from GB into AS, run it through Audio Mastering, and then back into GB as a separate track? Just typing this out seems complicated, so if clarification of my thoughts is needed, let me know.

Also, if this kind of question has already been addressed, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks for everyone's time!

Comments

• Yes, you can do the audioshare thing. But you have to email the file to yourself because i don't think you can copy audio from GarageBand yet. Epic meh.

I'd consider other iOS DAWs. There are a lot to choose from! Auria and Cubasis aren't cheap but there are plenty of fans around here for a reason. There's also meteor, music studio, flstudio, ntrack... and more.

• Thanks for the advice! I thought about pursuing Cubasis, but it seemed like if I were going to do that, I could spend the extra $100 and get the Steinberg USB interface and run that on my computer. Too many options!

• Looptical is another good choice. It sounds like what you may be looking for, and has a nice amount of effects. The price is right also.