Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aum FX chain suggestions?

edited November 2017 in General App Discussion

So anyone have any good allaround AUM bus chain tips?

Comments

• That's a pretty broad question. My default AUM template has 4 channels, 2 FX send busses and 2 'main' busses. No 'tips' really but in case it's interesting:

1. Send A: AUM LPF -> AUFX Dub
    2. Send B: AUM LPF -> AUFX Space
    3. Main Bus C: AUM HPF -> AUFX Push -> Audio Out
    4. Main Bus D: Clean Audio Out

Allows me to send some channels through the compressor and leave some dry. I swap out the FX often but this is generally a good default starting point for me. Could also bus the two "main" busses to a new main output bus with an additional compressor/limiter but I skip that by default and add it when needed. For "parallel processing", set the channel output directly to D and add a send to C to mix in compression to taste.

• stuff like that is exactly what i meant :) iam trying to get into an AU only usage right now

• iam working on a dawless , Rozetta is awesome, now what i would like is something like AB3's Midi and audio lanes in AUM so i dont need to scrool troough so many many mixers, maybe even an dedicated sends page that would be nice or maybe an option to zoom out and have 2 lanes of mixers in AUM

• Yeah, scrolling suddenly went bonkers in AUM after Rozeta!

I would like to see the AUFX apps go AU but I don't find a need/want for more than one instance of DUB or SPACE very often. They're perfect on an FX bus. And AUM integrates so nicely with them by adding the IAA control panel. PUSH though, I could use infinitely. :)

• @syrupcore said:
    Could also bus the two "main" busses to a new main output bus with an additional compressor/limiter but I skip that by default and add it when needed.

I do this by default...with the compressor/limiter slid to the left, so that I can at anytime take a master recording of what is going on, it also acts as a master level control.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@syrupcore said:
    Could also bus the two "main" busses to a new main output bus with an additional compressor/limiter but I skip that by default and add it when needed.

I do this by default...with the compressor/limiter slid to the left, so that I can at anytime take a master recording of what is going on, it also acts as a master level control.

Smart.

• Share AUM EFFECT setup presets?

• @syrupcore said:
    PUSH though, I could use infinitely. :)

+100

• Kinda OT ......is there a decent au compressor?

• korvpressor

• @waynerowand said:
    Kinda OT ......is there a decent au compressor?

NYCompressor by Christian Siedschlag

• AUM has a decent compressor built in
    audio damage roughrider is an AU and also good, and free

virsyn audioeffx is indispensable imho

• Good suggestions! I have rough rider...nice/colorful. I keep forgetting the stuff built into AUM....crazy cause that app is firmly in my workflow.
    I’m gonna check out that sausage maker :D

• Have you guys tried out the bookmark feature for quick scrolling? Seems to work good to jump around to different tracks.

• this is a great thread idea. aum is the be all end all for me. everything begins in aum. i dont have any brilliant setups but i do have a collection of go-to templates loaded with my au efx, eq’s and midi routings lined up with busses into cubasis. And then my little subsets spun off of that for apps that i frequently use together.

i am definitely fascinated with all the ingenuity and clever thinking i have seen many of you come up with. brilliant minds at work to say the least. love it.

• Bump.

Curious as to whether anyone has new workflows to add now that it’s 2020? I seem to spend more time setting up channels in AUM than actually using it.

• @Hansson said:

Here’s a typical setup I use for creating ambient sounds:

• @craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

Wow, that's a nice diagram!

• @j_liljedahl said:

Thanks! The joys of Adobe Illustrator :#

• @craftycurate said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Thanks! The joys of Adobe Illustrator :#

Clearly you have a day job

• @craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

I wonder how quickly this kind of setup would torch my iPhone 7? Super useful to see how I might set up a jam thing for the commute though, thanks for sharing!

• @craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

Jeeez, diagram master.

• @ahallam said:

@craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

I wonder how quickly this kind of setup would torch my iPhone 7? Super useful to see how I might set up a jam thing for the commute though, thanks for sharing!

The above routing can be light or heavy on CPU. It all depends on what synths and effects you use, and how many instances there are. One advantage is you can get away with a single reverb, for example.

• @craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

Are u available for app manual design, devs take note!

• My standard right now for project I'm working on is:
    Bus A: Eventide Blackhole (reverb for pads, arps, chords)
    Bus B: TB Reverb (reverb for kick drum for techno-y kick reverbs)
    Bus C: Delay (either Ruismaker Kosmonaut or AD Dubstation) sent back to Bus A
    Bus D: AD Replicant (for skittery chopped glitchy hi hats mostly) also sent back to Bus A and sometimes a little to Bus C
    Bus M: Master Bus because Master starts with letter M with TB Reelbus for some tape warmth and Korvpressor for compression/limiting/

• @Gavinski said:
    Are u available for app manual design, devs take note!

Sure am ... I do technical writing too :)

• edited March 2020

Share some preset😂It would be lovely to see what You do guys.

• @craftycurate said:

@ahallam said:

@craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

The above routing can be light or heavy on CPU. It all depends on what synths and effects you use, and how many instances there are. One advantage is you can get away with a single reverb, for example.

Do you typically use sends or inserts for effects?

• @craftycurate said:

@ahallam said:

@craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

Surprisingly to me, the version of this (3 synths and drums) is only running at about 40% cpu. I’ve never had so many things in an AUM session so I’ve never seen what my 2018 iPad can handle. I wonder how all this would go if I set up in NanoStudio instead?

• @ahallam said:

@craftycurate said:

@ahallam said:

@craftycurate said:

@Hansson said:

Do you typically use sends or inserts for effects?

Both ... but CPU heavy effects are more likely to be put on Mix buses/Sends.