Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning to future drummer

Hi all,
I’m trying to send midi from patterning to future drummer but I can’t make it work. In FD I choose patterning as midi in and in patterning I choose FD as midi out but nothing happens. I have also checked that notes sending from patterning correspond to the notes in FD. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2017

In Patterning set midi out to Patterning, not FD.
    or
    In FD set midi in to FD, not Patterning.

Basically, make sure both ends of the connection are the same. I know that’s counterintuitive, but that’s the way CoreMidi works. Think of it like a cable with a single label rather than a cable with different labels at each end.

Also, due to another quirk with midi, apps often have a different idea of what C1, C2, etc. are. In this case, you need to set Patterning’s notes to C2, D2, etc. even though FD says you need C1, D1, etc.

Don’t worry if it seems confusing. It’ll all start to become second nature after working with midi for 10 years or so. ;)

• edited November 2017

@wim thank you, it kind of work. I had to choose patterning i for midi in in FD. In patterning I chose patterning as midi out as you wrote. And then I hade to switch on sound module in FD (whatever that means, there’s no documentation about that, it was just a luck guess). My problem now is the note mapping is not correct. But that I can solve with trial and error I guess. Thank you

• wimwim
    edited November 2017

Yes, the setting has to be the same in both apps. So if it’s Patterning in one then it should be Patterning in the other. If FD in one, then FD in the other.

Sound module means “just play sounds in response to midi notes” that’s what you correctly guessed you needed.

The note mappings you need are shown in FD. However, shift them up one octave in Patterning. If it says you need C1 in FD, then set C2 in Patterning. You can see the notes needed by touching the icon that looks like a midi plug at the top right in FD. No need to guess.

• @wim Thank you very much! It’s working as expected now. Would not make it work without your help or at least it would have taken me another day of frustation and cursing. Thanks

• Any chance you could give a demo of this? Sounds like an intriguing setup. I don't own patterning, yet!