Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• edited May 2020

I think if you've got the know-how and experience, you can do many many things cheaper than buying a shiny new piece of gear. But, if you don't do that I don't think it is always necessarily "playing with yourself". Perhaps you'll be really jazzed by that particular setup and that'll set you off and running. Maybe you don't want to kludge several pieces of gear together to get to the end goal?

Just because we haven't all seen your light doesn't mean that we're wanking ourselves.

• edited May 2020

@u0421793 said:
    now I see through it as yet another expensive wanking machine. That’s okay, if that’s what you want – but you’re playing with yourself.

You only live once. You can sit around feeling superior and not playing, or you can jump in and have a good old wanky, silly noise session.

I’ll go for the latter.

• WANKY SILLY NOISE SESSIONS 'R' US!

• edited May 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

You're the best kind of a bad influence Captain :)

Problem is it was only ten minutes ago that I was bought a top of the line Surface book thing, which has, it must be said, exceeded all of my needs and expectations, but not, in this case, my wants. One thing after another, eh? For now I am going to stick with OP-1 dreams and learning Ableton....and writing some songs mebbe :)

I get immense pleasure from helping other people spend their money!

I’ve been using Windows desktops for the last 20 years for work, but just got tired with the crashes and viruses. When the current desktop died a couple of months back, I had to decide which way to jump. I’d been using Win 7, but after watching Mrs Monzo’s frustrations with 10 on her laptop, decided to finally fully switch to Mac - bolstered by the availability of the Affinity suite.

So far so good, and for non-related work fun there’s the Logic bonus and iPad integration. And the old one is still handling Live and a bunch of plug-ins despite being 8 years old, so they’re pretty good workhorses.

Of course now though the budget has been blown, so hoping a bit more work comes in to pay for it all!

I hear you, and I think so much of man's progress comes from having a stone in your shoe. Frustration is motivation, comfort is complacency etc. Currently for our business needs -half databases/half design- our system is working and I can take the Surface anywhere in the world and tap into everything I need from it. Of course, that global travel today is from my living room to my kitchen :)

I will say (for now) that the OP-1 has at least caused me to turn inward, as regards the old 'you have everything you need already if what you want to do is write songs is writing songs what you really want to do?' internal monologue. The bare truth of course is that writing songs is harder than fiddling about. But the fiddling about is such a lovely hobby :)

I think current situations taken into consideration, we all deserve to do some fiddling about. Making silly noises is a totally joyful experience for me, so serious music making has gone out of the window for the time being - too much like hard work!

I get the 'having everything you need' thing, but I reckon that OP1/recorder purchase was worth it, just for the sheer pleasure of unwrapping them on your birthday. Better than a pair of socks. I do that with my Friday night £5 app purchases (well, I used to anyway) - excitement researcing the new thing, downloading, an hours fiddling then forget about it for 6 months. Was it worth a fiver? Absolutely!

No new anything for me for a while though - a PITA client today pulled out of a contract we'd agreed on last month, work which would have set me up for the next three months and paid for the new laptop. Never mind, could be worse!

Instead I'm going to set up a new Bandcamp 'band' account, and fill it with the most insanse, unlistenable rubbish anyone has ever heard. 'Aren't you doing that already Monzo'? Yes!!!

Meant to respond to this earlier. I read somewhere once about 'onion' clients, ones who made you cry, and how if at all possible one should avoid them and, again if possible, weed out the ones you have. Believe me, I know the uncertainty of any sort of, essentially, freelance activity, wherein one is dependent a fair bit on the whims or wherefores of others, but this PITA disappearing will just leave space for someone altogether less onion like....

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

You're the best kind of a bad influence Captain :)

Problem is it was only ten minutes ago that I was bought a top of the line Surface book thing, which has, it must be said, exceeded all of my needs and expectations, but not, in this case, my wants. One thing after another, eh? For now I am going to stick with OP-1 dreams and learning Ableton....and writing some songs mebbe :)

I get immense pleasure from helping other people spend their money!

I’ve been using Windows desktops for the last 20 years for work, but just got tired with the crashes and viruses. When the current desktop died a couple of months back, I had to decide which way to jump. I’d been using Win 7, but after watching Mrs Monzo’s frustrations with 10 on her laptop, decided to finally fully switch to Mac - bolstered by the availability of the Affinity suite.

So far so good, and for non-related work fun there’s the Logic bonus and iPad integration. And the old one is still handling Live and a bunch of plug-ins despite being 8 years old, so they’re pretty good workhorses.

Of course now though the budget has been blown, so hoping a bit more work comes in to pay for it all!

I hear you, and I think so much of man's progress comes from having a stone in your shoe. Frustration is motivation, comfort is complacency etc. Currently for our business needs -half databases/half design- our system is working and I can take the Surface anywhere in the world and tap into everything I need from it. Of course, that global travel today is from my living room to my kitchen :)

I will say (for now) that the OP-1 has at least caused me to turn inward, as regards the old 'you have everything you need already if what you want to do is write songs is writing songs what you really want to do?' internal monologue. The bare truth of course is that writing songs is harder than fiddling about. But the fiddling about is such a lovely hobby :)

I think current situations taken into consideration, we all deserve to do some fiddling about. Making silly noises is a totally joyful experience for me, so serious music making has gone out of the window for the time being - too much like hard work!

I get the 'having everything you need' thing, but I reckon that OP1/recorder purchase was worth it, just for the sheer pleasure of unwrapping them on your birthday. Better than a pair of socks. I do that with my Friday night £5 app purchases (well, I used to anyway) - excitement researcing the new thing, downloading, an hours fiddling then forget about it for 6 months. Was it worth a fiver? Absolutely!

No new anything for me for a while though - a PITA client today pulled out of a contract we'd agreed on last month, work which would have set me up for the next three months and paid for the new laptop. Never mind, could be worse!

Instead I'm going to set up a new Bandcamp 'band' account, and fill it with the most insanse, unlistenable rubbish anyone has ever heard. 'Aren't you doing that already Monzo'? Yes!!!

Meant to respond to this earlier. I read somewhere once about 'onion' clients, ones who made you cry, and how if at all possible one should avoid them and, again if possible, weed out the ones you have. Believe me, I know the uncertainty of any sort of, essentially, freelance activity, wherein one is dependent a fair bit on the whims or wherefores of others, but this PITA disappearing will just leave space for someone altogether less onion like....

Fortunately it's very rare I encounter total timewasters like this. The money would have been handy though.

• I've been coming back to this for many, many years and, with time, I have found it increasingly comforting:

"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. Where is there a place for you to be? No place … Nothing outside you can give you any place … In yourself right now is all the place you’ve got." Flannery O’Connor

• edited May 2020

Haven't watched it yet, but this is short vid from Jef Gibbons that might be useful to some folks:

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I've been coming back to this for many, many years and, with time, I have found it increasingly comforting:

"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. Where is there a place for you to be? No place … Nothing outside you can give you any place … In yourself right now is all the place you’ve got." Flannery O’Connor

Critical mass, if ever it was attainable, is surely herewith.

• Colour is the key. The eye is the hammer. The soul is the piano with its many chords. The artist is the hand that, by touching this or that key, sets the soul vibrating automatically. (Wassily Kandinsky)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Colour is the key. The eye is the hammer. The soul is the piano with its many chords. The artist is the hand that, by touching this or that key, sets the soul vibrating automatically. (Wassily Kandinsky)

B)

• That anecdote is so delicious when connected to Mr. Lewis’ particular body of work and artistic specialty.

• edited May 2020

This is very funny, this one. Also, read the comments on YouTube.

‪Toyah Vs Robert Fripp - The Showdown

• @u0421793 said:

Give me King Crimson any day.

• @u0421793 Very good. Therer's something successful about these two,> @MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@u0421793 Very good. There's something successful about these two, in the best possible way...they look, well, happy. There have to be some good endings, right?

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @u0421793 Very good. Therer's something successful about these two,> @MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@u0421793 Very good. There's something successful about these two, in the best possible way...they look, well, happy. There have to be some good endings, right?

Fripp’s a weird bugger. I like his music though.

Toyah probably trashed her punk credentials when she started hosting Songs of Praise.

Odd, but odd’s good.

• This just in:

‪Toyah & Robert Fripp's Sunday Lunch: Women Dancing to King Crimson

• edited May 2020

haha great stuff

• HAHAHA! excellent

• Interesting observations from Jakob Dylan et al as regards the benefits of jamming...

• Hey, Jakob Dylan: OK BOOMER!

fwiw, I agree w/ him.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Hey, Jakob Dylan: OK BOOMER!

fwiw, I agree w/ him.

Well there's always....

• This has been posted, hasn’t it?

• Incidentally, am I the only one here in the UK that watches TOTP on BBC4 on Friday night and tweets along with everyone else also watching it with the hashtags #TOTP #totp1989 ‬
    ? Two episodes, one at 8pm, the other at 9pm

• @u0421793 said:
    Incidentally, am I the only one here in the UK that watches TOTP on BBC4 on Friday night and tweets along with everyone else also watching it with the hashtags #TOTP #totp1989 ‬

Sorry to say I have never lived in a geography where BBC4 is a thing....I did attend TOTP once. Most odd.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@u0421793 said:
    Incidentally, am I the only one here in the UK that watches TOTP on BBC4 on Friday night and tweets along with everyone else also watching it with the hashtags #TOTP #totp1989 ‬

Sorry to say I have never lived in a geography where BBC4 is a thing....I did attend TOTP once. Most odd.

Come on boss, spill the beans. Who did you see? Tight Fit? Renee & Renata? Toto Coelo? Steve Wright or David ‘Kid’ Jensen?

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@u0421793 said:

Come on boss, spill the beans. Who did you see? Tight Fit? Renee & Renata? Toto Coelo? Steve Wright or David ‘Kid’ Jensen?

The main dude (said very lightly) was Dave Lee Travis. To be honest, I can't even tell you who we saw. Acid. Lived in Chiswick then, but had a dealer on the South Africa estate just round the corner fromthe Beeb in White City. Convenient :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@u0421793 said:

The main dude (said very lightly) was Dave Lee Travis. To be honest, I can't even tell you who we saw. Acid. Lived in Chiswick then, but had a dealer on the South Africa estate just round the corner fromthe Beeb in White City. Convenient :)

Dave Lee Travis, on acid. I take my hat off to you Boss.