Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• @richardyot said:
    Happy birthday!

Personally I would be much more excited about the Spire Studio than the OP-1, but as the famous gif says: "why not both?"

Thank you Mister Yot. Now, as a special present to me, do share a sentence or two about what tickles your Spire fancy?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I'm going in. I may be some time.

Flipping heck, someone's been a very good boy! Proper presents.

Happy birthday boss - 'special day' means it's probably either three years older, or seven years younger than me, obviously I'm hoping it's the former.

My Air 2 has been really playing up over the last couple of weeks and running slow, so I reckon I might be due a special day too, soon, even if it's just to celebrate still being alive.

I think I might have you beat by ten minutes. Sixty NEXT year and then we'll really have something to talk about. But I doubt I will have presents as lush. Now all that's needed is to get back to actually writing a few songs and then go on and on about how it's the constraints you know, that's what all art in the modern day now requires.... :)

If you're not using that iPad any more Boss, send him over here...

To be honest I haven't made any music on mine for months - I keep buying apps and fiddling with them for a bit, and then putting them away again. The old MacBook Pro is my music workhorse these days, though to be fair I haven't used that much recently either. Just before 'lockdown' my plan was to put vocals on loads of my existing instrumental tracks. But since the Mrs and the lad are home, and these are thin walls, I thought I'd spare them that treat. It's a bugger because I was really looking forward to it.

That Spire Studio thing looks good, never heard of one of those before. That'll work really nicely with your OP1 - save you mucking about with the built-in song recorder. Both nice and portable too so you can stick them in your manbag when the travel restrictions are lifted, or just decamp to the garden shed.

Enjoy!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:
    Happy birthday!

Personally I would be much more excited about the Spire Studio than the OP-1, but as the famous gif says: "why not both?"

Thank you Mister Yot. Now, as a special present to me, do share a sentence or two about what tickles your Spire fancy?

I often record demos on my phone, guitar and vocals. The Spire would be awesome for that. You could do OP-1 and vocals :)

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:
    Happy birthday!

I often record demos on my phone, guitar and vocals. The Spire would be awesome for that. You could do OP-1 and vocals :)

I am told (was sold :)) by @iansainsbury on the Spire, especially as regards 'backing vocals' and his talented young singer on this convinced me....of course she can actually sing :), but I am looking forward to giving it a good try out, especially with some stumbling harmonies etc. Will report back.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:
    Happy birthday!

OP-1 and Spire vocals might be a great combo.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@colonel_mustard said:
    Nice one mister. Enjoy!

I've just read this here page number 19 of this here thread here and realised that, perhaps, it might just be your special day today. While you no doubt have a list of your own, this seems relevant, somehow:
    https://kottke.org/15/01/24-pieces-of-life-advice-from-werner-herzog

I'm especially fond of #19.

Happy birthday, whenever it may be:)

Today IS that day and thus I especially appreciate your wishes. AND Werner's list. You're right that #19 is key, especially on days that hold the illusion of a new start etc.

Happy Birthday, Brother Bull!
    May there be many more.

• edited May 2020

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@colonel_mustard said:
    Nice one mister. Enjoy!

I've just read this here page number 19 of this here thread here and realised that, perhaps, it might just be your special day today. While you no doubt have a list of your own, this seems relevant, somehow:

Today IS that day and thus I especially appreciate your wishes. AND Werner's list. You're right that #19 is key, especially on days that hold the illusion of a new start etc.

May there be many more.

Nothing quite can bore us
    like the bull of some old Taurus...

Thanks Mister. You too!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@colonel_mustard said:
    Nice one mister. Enjoy!

May there be many more.

Nothing quite can bore us
    like the bull of some old Taurus...

Thanks Mister. You too!

That’s downright Larkinesque!

• Age or time going by I suppose, but odd to think that Frances Bean Cobain is today older than her father was when he killed himself...

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Age or time going by I suppose, but odd to think that Frances Bean Cobain is today older than her father was when he killed himself...

I was thinking last night I’m old enough to be John Lennon’s dad. Not the young Lennon, but the age he was when he was killed.

Though with this virus we have nowadays, I guess I should be thankful I’ve made it this far.

• Did you see the auction then?

I realised the same thing amidst the googling that accompanies such discoveries, and spent some time thinking about her life and how weird and difficult it must all be. Ultimately decided that it's probably better to stay off Courtney's radar, so I won't be bidding.

Every moment's a gift, @MonzoPro (even the painful ones)

• @JohnnyGoodyear - how are you getting on with the OP1? Interested to hear your first impressions with the new thing.

• It’s Toyah’s birthday

• @u0421793 said:

I neve knew that Toyah was Mrs. Fripp. The balance of everything is yet further disturbed.

• @MonzoPro said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear - how are you getting on with the OP1? Interested to hear your first impressions with the new thing.

My muscle memory is a dodgy superpower on the best of days so it's going to take a lot of repetiton and then keeping up with it Vicar.

Four days in I have already gone from thinking it not so very much to the glimmers of ah, yes, I see.... I needed to take a full step back (about forty years) to really jump forward. Once I understood I really DID have to think about it like my first old (and much beloved) 4-Track machine then it made perfect sense. Imagine that spotty little fucker, but with all this digital cleverness. And, yes, less drugs. Sigh.

Perfect :)

It has also immediately had the benefit of making me love/appreciate/wonder at the iPad and Maschine even more. I find myself (for now at least) in this little sliver of happily torn continuum that consists of the past and the future combined. As our lives are I suppose if we can but see them as such etc.

I did think it might be my Thom Yorke machine. I still think that. Frustrations? Some. Exhaltations? Many. Creations? We'll see :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear Are you familiar with the music of Blake Mills? His new album "Mutable Set" reminds me of songs you'd compose.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

It has also immediately had the benefit of making me love/appreciate/wonder at the iPad and Maschine even more. I find myself (for now at least) in this little sliver of happily torn continuum that consists of the past and the future combined. As our lives are I suppose if we can but see them as such etc.

I think it's always worth bearing in mind it's a nearly ten years old bit of hardware (albeit with updated software), whereas the Mk3 is only two and a half years old. But saying that, it's a lot more portable than the Mk3 and a laptop, and ultimately cheaper overall.

When I had it, I thought of it as an instrument in its own right, a hardware synth/sampler, and it does all that really well. But when you're used to all the goodies on an iPad, laid out in a very visual way - or the ludicrous amount of stuff you get with the NI collection, it can feel a bit old hat.

But using it an an instrument - recording into your new recorder thing, will definitely focus the mind regarding songwriting as there's less distractions.

I'm currently re-familiarising myself with Logic - bought it seven years ago and have hardly used it since, but the update has caught my eye and I've installed it on the new (supposedly work-only) laptop. Enjoying it so far - recording the iPad in and playing around with loops is good fun - but I do find myself thinking Ableton can do a lot of things better. A bit of a future/past combined thing you're experiencing with the OP1!

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I think it's always worth bearing in mind it's a nearly ten years old bit of hardware (albeit with updated software), whereas the Mk3 is only two and a half years old. But saying that, it's a lot more portable than the Mk3 and a laptop, and ultimately cheaper overall.

When I had it, I thought of it as an instrument in its own right, a hardware synth/sampler, and it does all that really well. But when you're used to all the goodies on an iPad, laid out in a very visual way - or the ludicrous amount of stuff you get with the NI collection, it can feel a bit old hat.

But using it an an instrument - recording into your new recorder thing, will definitely focus the mind regarding songwriting as there's less distractions.

I'm currently re-familiarising myself with Logic - bought it seven years ago and have hardly used it since, but the update has caught my eye and I've installed it on the new (supposedly work-only) laptop. Enjoying it so far - recording the iPad in and playing around with loops is good fun - but I do find myself thinking Ableton can do a lot of things better. A bit of a future/past combined thing you're experiencing with the OP1!

I'm currently winding my way through Ableton. Well, that's not true ... scratching the surface with a penny trying to find if there's treasure in there. I don't adapt as quickly as I'd like.

• @kinkujin said:

I'm currently winding my way through Ableton. Well, that's not true ... scratching the surface with a penny trying to find if there's treasure in there. I don't adapt as quickly as I'd like.

Have you got the full version?

I had the free/lite version for ages but it just didn't grab me. But after I'd shelled out cash for the full thing, it focused my mind a bit more, and having all the extra scenes really opened it up. There's a few things it doesn't do that I'd like - such as more options for sample editing once they're recorded into a clip, but something about the simple UI and workflow really fits my bones.

I'm giving Logic a proper go now I've reinstalled it, though I don't think it'll become the main workhorse. I reckon I'll use it to create rhythm clips to use in Live. Saying that though the new sampler features are really good, so maybe it'll get a bit more use.

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

I had the free/lite version for ages but it just didn't grab me. But after I'd shelled out cash for the full thing, it focused my mind a bit more, and having all the extra scenes really opened it up. There's a few things it doesn't do that I'd like - such as more options for sample editing once they're recorded into a clip, but something about the simple UI and workflow really fits my bones.

I'm giving Logic a proper go now I've reinstalled it, though I don't think it'll become the main workhorse. I reckon I'll use it to create rhythm clips to use in Live. Saying that though the new sampler features are really good, so maybe it'll get a bit more use.

I'm hearing very positive/enthusiastic chatter about Logic. Not having a Mac makes it a GAS too far today, but of course I am probably their perfect target when it comes to offering such sophisticated software at such an affordable price. Bastards :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Are you familiar with the music of Blake Mills? His new album "Mutable Set" reminds me of songs you'd compose.

Interesting stuff right there. Of course he's a young pup, needs some seasoning, more heartbreak etc. And maybe a kick in the stones for this para on Wiki:

From time to time Mills hosts invite only musical performances at Mollusk Surf Shop,[32] in Venice, California. Previous shows have seen Mills accompanied by musicians such as Jackson Browne, Billy Gibbons, Matt Sweeney, Cass McCombs, Jenny Lewis, Charlie Sexton, Benmont Tench, Dave Rawlings, Val McCallum, Tal Wilkenfeld, Mike Einziger, Danielle Haim, Smokey Hormel, Michael Elizondo, Anthony Wilson, and Xavier Mas.

Thanks for the nudge Mister :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Are you familiar with the music of Blake Mills? His new album "Mutable Set" reminds me of songs you'd compose.

Interesting stuff right there. Of course he's a young pup, needs some seasoning, more heartbreak etc. And maybe a kick in the stones for this para on Wiki:

From time to time Mills hosts invite only musical performances at Mollusk Surf Shop,[32] in Venice, California. Previous shows have seen Mills accompanied by musicians such as Jackson Browne, Billy Gibbons, Matt Sweeney, Cass McCombs, Jenny Lewis, Charlie Sexton, Benmont Tench, Dave Rawlings, Val McCallum, Tal Wilkenfeld, Mike Einziger, Danielle Haim, Smokey Hormel, Michael Elizondo, Anthony Wilson, and Xavier Mas.

Thanks for the nudge Mister :)

A good kick in the stones is necessary for all of us from time to time.

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

I'm hearing very positive/enthusiastic chatter about Logic. Not having a Mac makes it a GAS too far today, but of course I am probably their perfect target when it comes to offering such sophisticated software at such an affordable price. Bastards :)

I think it was about £160 when I bought it 7 years ago, massively impressed they’re still providing free updates - the latest batch could easily have warranted a paid update. £200 now I think, but for what you get it’s a bargain - 72gb’s worth if you download all the extras.

Works nicely on the laptop, though I seem to be getting a bit of distortion on bassy bits - don’t think it’s the speakers as it’s not doing it with other audio, could be a couple of ropey loops - goes when I EQ it. I should try hooking it up to external speakers, but it’s supposed to be work only...

The way the sampler works is great - chopping a sample and assigning the slices to a new drummer takes just a couple of clicks, and I can trigger them via the iPad with zero latency.

Stick a new MacBook Pro on your Xmas list boss!

• edited May 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

I think it was about £160 when I bought it 7 years ago, massively impressed they’re still providing free updates - the latest batch could easily have warranted a paid update. £200 now I think, but for what you get it’s a bargain - 72gb’s worth if you download all the extras.

Works nicely on the laptop, though I seem to be getting a bit of distortion on bassy bits - don’t think it’s the speakers as it’s not doing it with other audio, could be a couple of ropey loops - goes when I EQ it. I should try hooking it up to external speakers, but it’s supposed to be work only...

The way the sampler works is great - chopping a sample and assigning the slices to a new drummer takes just a couple of clicks, and I can trigger them via the iPad with zero latency.

Stick a new MacBook Pro on your Xmas list boss!

You're the best kind of a bad influence Captain :)

Problem is it was only ten minutes ago that I was bought a top of the line Surface book thing, which has, it must be said, exceeded all of my needs and expectations, but not, in this case, my wants. One thing after another, eh? For now I am going to stick with OP-1 dreams and learning Ableton....and writing some songs mebbe :)

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Problem is it was only ten minutes ago that I was bought a top of the line Surface book thing, which has, it must be said, exceeded all of my needs and expectations, but not, in this case, my wants. One thing after another, eh? For now I am going to stick with OP-1 dreams and learning Ableton....and writing some songs mebbe :)

I get immense pleasure from helping other people spend their money!

I’ve been using Windows desktops for the last 20 years for work, but just got tired with the crashes and viruses. When the current desktop died a couple of months back, I had to decide which way to jump. I’d been using Win 7, but after watching Mrs Monzo’s frustrations with 10 on her laptop, decided to finally fully switch to Mac - bolstered by the availability of the Affinity suite.

So far so good, and for non-related work fun there’s the Logic bonus and iPad integration. And the old one is still handling Live and a bunch of plug-ins despite being 8 years old, so they’re pretty good workhorses.

Of course now though the budget has been blown, so hoping a bit more work comes in to pay for it all!

• edited May 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I’ve been using Windows desktops for the last 20 years for work, but just got tired with the crashes and viruses. When the current desktop died a couple of months back, I had to decide which way to jump. I’d been using Win 7, but after watching Mrs Monzo’s frustrations with 10 on her laptop, decided to finally fully switch to Mac - bolstered by the availability of the Affinity suite.

So far so good, and for non-related work fun there’s the Logic bonus and iPad integration. And the old one is still handling Live and a bunch of plug-ins despite being 8 years old, so they’re pretty good workhorses.

Of course now though the budget has been blown, so hoping a bit more work comes in to pay for it all!

I hear you, and I think so much of man's progress comes from having a stone in your shoe. Frustration is motivation, comfort is complacency etc. Currently for our business needs -half databases/half design- our system is working and I can take the Surface anywhere in the world and tap into everything I need from it. Of course, that global travel today is from my living room to my kitchen :)

I will say (for now) that the OP-1 has at least caused me to turn inward, as regards the old 'you have everything you need already if what you want to do is write songs is writing songs what you really want to do?' internal monologue. The bare truth of course is that writing songs is harder than fiddling about. But the fiddling about is such a lovely hobby :)

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I hear you, and I think so much of man's progress comes from having a stone in your shoe. Frustration is motivation, comfort is complacency etc. Currently for our business needs -half databases/half design- our system is working and I can take the Surface anywhere in the world and tap into everything I need from it. Of course, that global travel today is from my living room to my kitchen :)

I will say (for now) that the OP-1 has at least caused me to turn inward, as regards the old 'you have everything you need already if what you want to do is write songs is writing songs what you really want to do?' internal monologue. The bare truth of course is that writing songs is harder than fiddling about. But the fiddling about is such a lovely hobby :)

I think current situations taken into consideration, we all deserve to do some fiddling about. Making silly noises is a totally joyful experience for me, so serious music making has gone out of the window for the time being - too much like hard work!

I get the 'having everything you need' thing, but I reckon that OP1/recorder purchase was worth it, just for the sheer pleasure of unwrapping them on your birthday. Better than a pair of socks. I do that with my Friday night £5 app purchases (well, I used to anyway) - excitement researcing the new thing, downloading, an hours fiddling then forget about it for 6 months. Was it worth a fiver? Absolutely!

No new anything for me for a while though - a PITA client today pulled out of a contract we'd agreed on last month, work which would have set me up for the next three months and paid for the new laptop. Never mind, could be worse!

Instead I'm going to set up a new Bandcamp 'band' account, and fill it with the most insanse, unlistenable rubbish anyone has ever heard. 'Aren't you doing that already Monzo'? Yes!!!

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Yupper, I've got 9 Suite, or whatever the midrange one is.

I think I just need to sit down and force myself to adjust to it's way of working. Stop looking around for an "easier" solution. I used Cakewalk for years on pc and it was dead simple. But I've moved on from pc and that program.
    I did just spend 10bux on a course for version 9 that was on sale as I'm sure most folk have moved on. It's from Digital Music Masters. I'll let you know if it was worth it.

• edited May 2020

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Yupper, I've got 9 Suite, or whatever the midrange one is.

I think I just need to sit down and force myself to adjust to it's way of working. Stop looking around for an "easier" solution. I used Cakewalk for years on pc and it was dead simple. But I've moved on from pc and that program.
    I did just spend 10bux on a course for version 9 that was on sale as I'm sure most folk have moved on. It's from Digital Music Masters. I'll let you know if it was worth it.

I tend to record all my rhythm and bass bits in Session view, record a performance into the arrangement view, then switch to that for soloing type overdubs and tweaking. But If you’re used to a linear timeline, you can work solely in the Arrangement view and just copy and paste the chunks of audio and MIDI as in a standard DAW.

Logic has now got a version of this, so I’m currently trying to suss out that one!

• I think the songwriting thing is deceptive. Of course we want to write songs, and some of us actually get that objective done. But half the time, is that actually what we wanted to do? My first couple of decades of electronic music, I thought I wanted to be a pop star, which on further analysis might have implied that I wanted to write songs. I look back and actually I just wanted to make silly noises, and be arty.

Now, I look at things such as the Moog Subharm Onion and whereas originally in my youth I’d get excited about such a thing, now I see through it as yet another expensive wanking machine. That’s okay, if that’s what you want – but you’re playing with yourself. There’s very little of the product of that device that you can’t make some other way. What I mean is if you managed to make a song using it (and obviously other stuff) virtually no one buying your music will realise that that’s what you’ve used. You could’ve made that same sort of sound and same sort of sequencing another way if you had to, but it wouldn’t have been such a turn-on. But, if that’s what you want to do, get turned on by the systems and mechanisms and processes, go for it. But recognise it.