Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Invisible mystery synth

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever witnessed on my iPad. Ever since the latest update (11.1.2), I've had this strange invisible synth that plays when I play my MIDI controller even though I have NO apps loaded. If I reboot, it goes away for awhile, but then comes back again! I'm guessing it's one of my synth apps, but I don't know how it's getting loaded or why I don't see it loaded even though I hear it. It's a polyphonic synth that responds to the mod wheel by adding vibrato. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
chisel316

Comments

• You can try opening every synth you got and close em manually. Not the best way tho

• Can you use MIDI Wrench to see what's going on?

MIDI Wrench by Christian Schoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/midi-wrench/id589243566?mt=8

• I had this also. I noticed it when I launched Scythe (old one) for the 1st time. Nothing else running and even with this and all the oscillators turned down but I still got a weird ghost synth playing. Rebooting helped. Ghost free now

• What does it sound like?

• Start Animoog, go to the setup and have a look at the list of available midi in/out. If there is a ghost, it will be shown here

• @brambos said:
    What does it sound like?

Mine sounded like a weird droney earie synth pad.

• It’s only when it starts playing better than you that you need to worry! ;)

• Haha.. thanks for the suggestions! It hasn't come back yet, but if it does, I'll be ready to troubleshoot. It sounds like slightly detuned saw waves modulated by a square envelope.

• @chisel316 u reken scythe was the culprit in ur case?

• isn't this that classic IAA bug ?

• @tymon I don't have scythe. In fact, lately I've been using the iPad to compliment my hardware synths with band/orchestra instruments - not synths. It's been awhile since I've used a synth app.

• @dendy said:
    isn't this that classic IAA bug ?

Sounds like it to me. I used to get it often before the days of AU

• edited November 2017

If it happens again, try program change to see if you can get a more recognisable preset sound.

• Any app that lets you select the MIDI Output (Animoog, Cubasis, Modstep, AUM etc...) should list the offending synth in its options....once you can see it, open the synth from it's icon, then close it again and it should be gone :)

• OH MY GOD I had the same thing last night?!?! It was with the beta of ChordBud. I was trying to send it to AUM and it was triggering something else. I did a reset and it was still happening! Same sound each time. No other synth loaded. I thought it had to be something with the app!

• It be the ghost of Alchemy returned to haunt us all.

• I monitored chordbud with midiflow and I’m pretty certain it’s the culprit in my situation. Super weird. Midi isn’t even getting out and it’s making that sound. Did a screen recording and the sound was only heard with chordbud in the foreground.

• Wow! Thanks again for all the replies. Now I'm anxious to have it happen again so I can find out the culprit!

Stay tuned...

• Can you give me an app store link, I want Invisible Memory Synth. Sounds too good to pass up.

• @oat_phipps You're in luck because it's 50% off for Black Friday (if you can find it).

• @chisel316 said:
    @oat_phipps You're in luck because it's 50% off for Black Friday (if you can find it).

Found it. It’s heaven

• First zombies. Now ghosts. Man, Halloween was last month!

• Turns out a synth designed with audiokit has a built in sound that activates when no midi output is selected. Not sure if it’s the culprit in your case... but the more you know....

• @DCJ said:
    Turns out a synth designed with audiokit has a built in sound that activates when no midi output is selected. Not sure if it’s the culprit in your case... but the more you know....

Thanks for the info!

• I finally figured out what the invisible mystery synth was! Drum roll please (that shouldn't be a problem on this forum with so many drum apps to choose from...)

DRC!

Kinda crazy since I never use this app. Anway, thought you'd want to know what the culprit was. Thanks again for all your help!

Peace \/
    chisel316

• I had the same problem with my iPad Mini 13.2.3 and in my case, deleting Reason Studio's Reason Compact solved the problem. I was surprised, because I wouldn't expect a Reason product to cause a problem. But yeah, I had this fine, sorta vanilla sounding bass ALL OF THE DANG TIME. Every synth or sound on the iPad came with that sound... but it would come and go... sometimes I thought I was imagining it... but finally I deleted apps one at a time until the noise died, and Propellerheads let me down for the first time. Grr. :) I still have Thor installed, though.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Can you give me an app store link, I want Invisible Memory Synth. Sounds too good to pass up.

Invisible synth, it's a game changer!!!

• " when i unloaded DRC vst from logic on my mac, the background notes on my ipad disappeared"
    🤣

• You most probably have LayR set to a Brice preset somewhere. That stuff always does things I didn't expect, in a good way. :)