Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

sample mangling

We have Samplr (last updated back in April for bug fixes), Samplewiz (updated for audio bus)... and ?
There are a couple of granulars - iDensity, CS Grain (abandoned?), and Borderlands(abandoned?)
Am I missing anything? Maybe its a niche thing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot happening on this front lately. Samplr is great but I would hate to see it all stop there. Same with iDensity. I tried contacting Marcos Alonso (Samplr) but was unable. I just wonder if anyone is working on anything or updating anything?

Comments

• I agree! We don't need anymore Mini Moog Clones and Sample Mangling is high on my list. At this point I think the way to go is Effects. Truly innovative apps like Turnado,Wow,Live Effects, and others is the ways to go!

• That looks interesting Morris!

• I would really love an old school stand alone multi sampler along the lines of Reason's NN-XT

Stephen

• Reason's old school now? Get off my lawn!

• I'd like to see something as basic as Ableton's Simpler that offers the ability to set up an adjustable crossfading loop and move the loop around within the sound file. The item of interest being the crossfade capability. There isn't a single app that does this currently.

• Actually, both Samplewiz and Xewton Music Studio have crossfading on sample loops. MS is automatic, Samplewiz has a toggle switch. Neither allows much in the way of adjustment.

• True. I'd still like to see a long adjustable length crossfade taken to more of an extreme. But yeah, Samplewiz does have the ability to play with the loop, which is great.

• Protein der Klang is updated to support new Sonoma ACP, no longer crashes on import in ios7. No documentation, but you can eventually figure things out by clicking around on cryptic symbols.

Also found a new looper/trigger thing called SQRT, which supports audio paste, and has a beautiful interface and the ability to alter pitch and length of each sample in real time. Only one major problem, no record hookups or export options. Maddening. Also its not looking good because the app is by Tea Tracks, who have had a couple of audio apps out since forever with no audiobus modernization. Maybe they'll surprise me, I hope because its a blast to play with and it's dirt cheap.

• There's only so many ways you can mangle audio anyway - I wonder if there's room for innovation there now, at least in the terms we understand at this point. Between Samplr and Turnado it's all good!

• edited March 2014

• Great thread Smeeth! I've tried collecting almost every app that replicates some aspect of Ableton. When will they get on ios already?

@PaulB - Thanks for the SampleWiz knowledge! I've been playing with it for the last few hours after realizing you could adjust the loop start and end.

Musaico does it too but it doesn't flow as well for some reason. If Protein Der Klang could implement that feature, that would be badass!

Tried out the SQRT and bought the pro version. Pretty cool but a bit too random for my tastes. I love tweaking out the sounds but need to know how exactly I'm tweaking it or else it ends up being unusable for any actual song unless i just want atmospheric soundscapes which any of the million synth apps or samplr/granulation apps can more than provide.

@sickmoth - you mentioned turnado? Do they have a sample mangling feature? I thought they just had the same ol regular fx like reverb, delay, phaser? Anything unique i'm missing?

Thanks in advance

• @simon - good to know, thanks

• My favourite iOS sample manipulation tool is...... NanoStudio. There are some awesome ways to change your samples when you load it into one of the eden synths etc.

• @gjcyrus... Not exactly, but anything you put through Turnado has infinite mangled potential. While different to the mechanism of mangling a wav in the traditional sense, Turnado is just bloody incredible. Seriously - well worth five times the money! It is 'just' an effects tool but it has such wild scope and the potential to turn anything into anything. Miraculous!

• Agreed, and it is also rather distracting from one's original intention. Usually you'll whack something into an effect to enhance it, but with Turnado you can create something so completely different that it simply doesn't fit with the project at hand. Therefore, as a sample mangler, it is up there with the best.

• edited November 2013

@sickmoth - hey man, sorry if my comment sounded negative by the word "just". I'll give Turnado a chance but as you said in your own opinion of "how many ways can you mangle audio?" I also have this mindset of "how many ways can you do delay, reverb, phaser, flanger?" I grew up with boss pedals and had every flavor of delay, reverb, etc. Then when computers started becoming more mainstream for recording, it seemed like on every single plugin, they also had a million reverbs, delays, etc and then if you click on the Audiobus fx category, there are also several delays, reverbs, not counting the ones that already come with apps (ex. magellan I believe or one of the synth apps) So that's why I asked because I didnt know what turnado was doing differently. I've probably bought at least 75% of all apps spoken about on this forum and deleted half of em so have tried to be disciplined about which ones I buy because it's one thing to know two or three software programs inside and out (ex. Pro tools, ableton) but it's another thing to know 100 different processes for all these apps when all I want to do is write a song.

peace

• edited November 2013

@gjcyrus - really all SugarBytes apps are great but I'll throw a Turnado demo video up so you can see its potential... It really is an awesome tool.

Note: Both iOS and Desktop versions are the same

• Haha thnx JMSexton! Appreciate the love!

• No worries on negativity, @gjcyrus! I had the same reservations - I have over 60 apps in the input slot and about 15 in the effects slot. I don't by any means use them all :-) I do try to mix it up a bit but there are definitely a bunch I just don't use at all, which is bad. I think. Probably. But some I have to ignore until I upgrade to the Air next month, as my poor iPad2 cannot handle them.

So did you get Turnado yet? I too was raised musically amidst a labyrinthe of wires and pedals but this combination of effects is just so unlike anything I have seen before. Heard before, rather. The sheer power you get over the sound here, intuitively and immediately, is incredible. So many variables and easily tweakable sub-versions of the main delays, reverbs, etc., and loads of ways to go deeper into their mechanisms. Just get it!

• Hey sick moth, downloading it now :)

• Good Sample Mangling for me is CSgrain...

• hey sickmoth and jmsexton, yeah I like it, It passed my "couldn't put ipad down for at least 30 min" test haha. It's really convenient how they lay it out with a zillion ways to adjust the parameters of each effect. I was using it on a track in auria and as you mentioned earlier, one effect can inspire a completely diff song idea. After i get some sleep, I'll try it on drum tracks. thnx for the tip.

@galaxyexplorer - care to share what you can do in nanostudio? Anything similar or different from samplewiz (if you happen to own that app)