Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ROZETA (PARTICLES out now)

Comments

• Will particles be an iap? Not that it’s acprobl cause it looks just like the kind of generative thing I was mentioning @brambos

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@bleep said:

@Hansson said:
    awesome, any thoughts about a Audio clip looper AU ?

Have you tried to put a File player in an AUM input slot? You can set it to loop, Midi control it, Midi control its playback rate. Sequence it using Rozeta!

I'm hoping @j_liljedahl gets to the count-in and count-out mute feature!

Yeah, a quantized tempo synced mute insert fx is on the list..

Move it up! You know you want to... ;)

I do! Along a couple of other built in fx, like a noise gate, a simple compressor, etc..

Can't wait!

• @Love3quency said:
    Will particles be an iap? Not that it’s acprobl cause it looks just like the kind of generative thing I was mentioning

Free update :)

• @brambos said:

@Love3quency said:
    Will particles be an iap? Not that it’s acprobl cause it looks just like the kind of generative thing I was mentioning

https://media.giphy.com/media/1zC0cBBz9UH4I/giphy.gif

• This particle addition is an awesome creative plus to this great app.
    Thanks for thinking outside the box @brambos
    keep em coming!
    :p

• edited November 2017

‘Rosie the Riveter’ nailed it...

I don’t want any free update.. I will like to see the XoX UI be more like GarageBand’s.. separate controls for the ‘mut’ function, etc. if we can also get a melodic (step seq) version of it will be cool too.

Edit... separate probability, note repeat, velocity controls etc..

• @brambos said:

@Love3quency said:

Blimey, thank you.

• @Samplemunch said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    Question, with the new BM3 3.0.6 update, does Rozeta work now?

I think we'll have to wait for the next update, maybe 3.0.7...

I have been outputting Rozeta from AUM into BM3 but they all seem to output on Channel1 despite saying various channels... I think.

Anyone have luck outputting midi from Rozeta/AUM on multiple channels? I may have to load up midiflow for a closer look at what is actually sending to see if the fault is AUM or BM3 etc.

Each Rozeta Plug-In can optionally set the midi-channel they transmit on.

If you plan to feed BM3 with midi from AUM the midi-channel for each Rozeta instance will have to be manually set.
    (Then you can use AUM as midi-input to BM3).

I got this working, and it’s cool... But, dang it that seems like an awful lot of hoops to jump through to set up!

You are in luck my friend! The latest update has a new midi setting on the banks for “single channel”, meaning that instead of each pad reapondong on a separate channel, each pad can respond on its corresponding note on a single channel. So, note 36 will trigger pad 36, etc.

[edit] actually, that’s a bit off. Note 0 triggers pad 1 ... note 36 triggers pad 35, etc. Why do programmers of all people seem to always screw that kind of thing up??

With the right note mapping adjustments in Rozeta, or the right pad assignments in BM3, you can now make it work. It will be better once natively supported, but works now. B)

What screw up ?
    MIDI notes start at 0 and Beatmakers pads start at 1.
    So a 0 note has to trigger pad 1 or there will be no note available to trigger pad 128 (note 127, there is no note 128)
    MIDI has been like this since it was invented, no screw ups.

Right - zero is a value! Think of it this way - we call this the 21st century.

• @wigglelights said:

You know that, I know that, but whoever wrote the app upgrade notes missed it. I’m just correcting the record. (And shaking my head over how often very bright programmers trip up on that issue out of carelessness. I’ve seen it over and over).

• @wim said:

@wigglelights said:

You know that, I know that, but whoever wrote the app upgrade notes missed it. I’m just correcting the record. (And shaking my head over how often very bright programmers trip up on that issue out of carelessness. I’ve seen it over and over).

That's too funny. I remember a lot of confusion with 0 and 1 with regards to start frame numbers and frame counts when I worked in 3d animation. The compositors and animators would be scratching their heads trying to figure out which frame number they were referring to or how long a sequence was supposed to be, all caused by some people calling the first frame "frame 1" while others called it "frame 0."

• edited November 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@brice said:
    They must have weekly aneurisms over Korg’s ODYSSEI.

It’s bloody difficult coming up with an original name these days. 15 years ago when I started my design business I spent weeks trying to think of a funky name. One of the silliest on my list seemed to stick, other people liked it, and it was so weird I was sure no one would be using it. I typed ‘Custard Factory’ into Google and discovered another design company 50 miles away had already bagged it.

Same with band names. I’ve come up with the most unlikely names - made up things made of two words stuck together, gibberish, only to find some bloody metal band in Iceland has already got it and is on their third album, using another name from my list as the title.

I'm happy @brambos was able to come up with a solution & not miss a beat. I think the new name Rozeta suits the app suite better. But...as @brice said they must have issues with Korg too, right? Nah... regardless of who came first they won't ring Korg's bell because it's a multi-million dollar corporation & their lawyers would go medieval.

Either way, Bram is a class act all around for being so accommodating.

It's hilarious what @MonzoPro said, true too. Original names for any kind of intellectual property is tough business after 100 years + of recorded patents, commerce and advertising. If you think of a cool name & really do your due diligence you'll know pretty quick if it's already got a flag stick in the center of it.

That's why as bland & wha??? as it may be I have used my name & initials for most of my music stuff, it can be the path of least resistance for sure.

• Mmm Rozeta particles

• @brambos said:

@Love3quency said:

Diamond geezer!

• Seven pages of guff about a product, and not one single link to it on the App Store?
    Apple’s brain-dead approach to app discovery should mandate a mandatory App Store link on the first page of any app-centric post, I propose. Indeed.

• Rozeticles!

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:
    Another preview... Here are two instances of Particles.. one for the main synth, one for the bass part

Awesome!! Which Synths were being triggered?

@rrc2soft said:
    This is what dreams are made of <3
    Can we have now triangles and other polygons besides rectangles? ;)

Yeah, these were the fun factor in Caelestis app. Not sure that’s available anymore.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@brambos said:
    Another preview... Here are two instances of Particles.. one for the main synth, one for the bass part

I think it was Phosphor for the lead part and Zeeon for the bass.

Yeah, these were the fun factor in Caelestis app. Not sure that’s available anymore.

But I’m wondering if that isn’t just for the eye candy, because I can’t imagine the audible outcome being very different with other shapes?

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@brambos said:

I think it was Phosphor for the lead part and Zeeon for the bass.

@rrc2soft said:
    This is what dreams are made of <3
    Can we have now triangles and other polygons besides rectangles? ;)

But I’m wondering if that isn’t just for the eye candy, because I can’t imagine the audible outcome being very different with other shapes?

Ah, thanks. I don't have Phosphor, I'll take a look.

To be honest, I prefer a more 'organised' generative sound ( :) ) as in your video, but shapes like Triangles, Circles, and polygons are much more random when the particles bounce into corners and rebound quicker.

The Shapes also rotated in Caelistis.

I really like the look and sound of your Particles plugin. I just mentioned Caelistis as @rrc2soft 's comment reminded me of that app

• edited November 2017

• edited November 2017

Yo @brambos and anyone else who cares to test. I’m sending a Rozeta arpeggiator and Rozeta XY (cuz I’m stuck with a Minilogue as a controller and it has no modwheel), and using the latter only as a modwheel, into the same AU synth, especially Zeeon. This setup works for about 2-3 minutes before crashing, but it crashes every single time, usually after I switch windows from the arp to the XY and then touch the mod wheel.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Yo @brambos and anyone else who cares to test. I’m sending a Rozeta arpeggiator and Rozeta XY (cuz I’m stuck with a Minilogue as a controller and it has no modwheel), and using the latter only as a modwheel, into the same AU synth, especially Zeeon. This setup works for about 2-3 minutes before crashing, but it crashes every single time, usually after I switch windows from the arp to the XY and then touch the mod wheel.

Just tried that here (let the Arp run on Latch for 10 minutes, then switched to XY/Modwheel) fed into Zeeon but I'm not getting any strange behavior or crashes. I don't have a Minilogue so I was using the internal AUM keyboard but I can't imagine that making much of a difference. Is there anything else in the equation that could have an influence?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Hansson said:
    midi loop recorder AU, dude you almost have an AU Daw

Right, the only thing missing here.

Would be lovely. Even lovelier with transpose. :)

Speaking of my Berlin-school obsession with sequence transposition, will it be possible to transpose the output from Particles via MIDI?

• Also, will it have the 8-memories + follow actions set up some of the others have?

• edited November 2017

@syrupcore said:
    Speaking of my Berlin-school obsession with sequence transposition, will it be possible to transpose the output from Particles via MIDI?

Yes, MIDI Transpose is already implemented.

@syrupcore said:
    Also, will it have the 8-memories + follow actions set up some of the others have?

I played with the idea, but dismissed it eventually because the concept of "start of loop" and "loop duration" are completely unclear. So the Follow Actions (and also the trigger of another pattern) would become quite confusing affairs.

• @brambos said:

@oat_phipps said:

Just tried that here (let the Arp run on Latch for 10 minutes, then switched to XY/Modwheel) fed into Zeeon but I'm not getting any strange behavior or crashes. I don't have a Minilogue so I was using the internal AUM keyboard but I can't imagine that making much of a difference. Is there anything else in the equation that could have an influence?

I’ve got nothing else running besides AUM, Zeeon, 2 Rozetas (and the Minilogue connected by CCK). I’ll report back if I can figure out exactly what triggers the crash.

• @oat_phipps said:

@brambos said:

@oat_phipps said:

I’ve got nothing else running besides AUM, Zeeon, 2 Rozetas (and the Minilogue connected by CCK). I’ll report back if I can figure out exactly what triggers the crash.

Thanks. I'll try on my other iPads as well, just in case.

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

Yes, MIDI Transpose is already implemented.

Sweet!

@syrupcore said:
    Also, will it have the 8-memories + follow actions set up some of the others have?

I played with the idea, but dismissed it eventually because the concept of "start of loop" and "loop duration" are completely unclear. So the Follow Actions (and also the trigger of another pattern) would become quite confusing affairs.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, just from seeing the previews. Could it be divorced from the sequencer's internal notion of a 'loop' and just defer to the host's? Less from a 'request' point of view, more interested in your take.

• How does the midi transpose work? Triggered with another Rozeta instance?

• @Heiliger_Bimbam said:
    How does the midi transpose work? Triggered with another Rozeta instance?

Any MIDI input works, e.g. try it using the AUM keyboard:

• hit C4 to play the pattern at the programmed key
    • hit D4 to transpose 2 semitones up
    • hit C5 to transpose 1 octave up
    • hit C3 to transpose 1 octave down
    • etc.

But nothing stops you from using another Rozeta plugin to send those MIDI notes.

• @Carnbot said:

@brambos said:

@Philippe said:

@brambos said:

@Philippe said:

@brambos said:

@Philippe said:
    Sorry to reiterate, but repeatedly tapping left and right buttons to change value is a real pain in the ass, for touch screen especially.

Just press and hold.

Ok
    Will it ever be possible to scroll the values to open a more « live playing » type of use?

I only use the steppers for parameters that need precise control or that aren't meant to be tweaked live. There are very few 'tweak-worthy' parameters in Rozeta right now, but those that are get knobs or sliders in the UI. However, most paramters are of the set-once-and-forget kind so you can get on with tweaking in the actual synths.

I see pretty much all parameters as "meant to be tweaked live" or "tweak worthy".

Hence we have different opionions on what are the most suitable controls for their respective parameters I guess. It's all a fine balance between how efficient a control is in terms of screen real estate, accessibility (Fitts' law), precision etc. I really don't believe every parameter needs to be tweaked live, so those don't deserve a lot of prime real estate in the UI :)

A nice solution would be to open up all AU parameters to be midi assignable in AUM, then you can always use your own interface with knobs eg Lemur etc or hardware control them. :)

Exactly my thinking. Touchscreen is fine, except when you need your hands or eyes (close to) somewhere else, in a live situation, what music is all about for me, even at home. With Midi, I can use my feet, my nose or another algorithm to fire and control. With the screen, I'm bound to the imagination the developer had about my workflow. Which rarely fits.

So what I can't tweak over midi, in the end I won't use. Screen is good for locating functions first, though.