Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mazetools soniface

So this has been out for a while and recently updated. What is the forums opinion on this? It obviously looks really cool but I'm a bit wary of dropping 15 bucks for what be a great novelty that I'll enjoy the hell out of for an hour and never use again.

Comments

• I’ve been watching it like a hawk. Waiting for it to come into friendlier territory as far as importing sounds and playing well with others. Very much it’s own insular thing at the moment, but still very interested.

Lot of talk about it here. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19105/this-madness-mazetools-soniface

• edited November 2017

I have it and like it. But, they haven't added AudioShare or AB, or IAA. You can record in-app, but you have to retrieve the recording via iTunes sharing. The last big update was a big step forward and it now has this magnifying approach to the smaller controls that makes it actually usable on a little iPhone SE screen too.

It was disappointing that the connectivity didn't come with the last update. They say it's coming and high on the list.

Would I take a refund if I could get one? No, I wouldn't. It's a pretty unique beast that I thoroughly love exploring. It's fairly abstract though.

The last update was at the beginning of October. They are pretty active on instragram under Mazetools, and they have a recent upload showing off some sample import into Soniface. They say an update with this and more features is coming in a few days, but I don't know if it's the iOS version or not.

I'd definitely say it's worth keeping an eye on though.

EDIT: I just double-checked their last instagram post with the new built-in sampler, and it is indeed on an iPad :)

• I'm a fan.
    a patient waiting fan... :|

• With regards to better connectivity, I’ve learned ‘on the list’ usually means ‘no chance matey’ when it’s mentioned on here.

• @DCJ said:
    I’ve been watching it like a hawk. Waiting for it to come into friendlier territory as far as importing sounds and playing well with others. Very much it’s own insular thing at the moment, but still very interested.

Lot of talk about it here. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19105/this-madness-mazetools-soniface

The sample import looks very interesting... as per the instagram vid I posted. That should be A LOT of fun for sure. Personally, I don't care if they give it any connectivity or not. It's it's own thing sort of. The only reason I wanted connectivity was so it could be recorded on the iPad/iPhone. They added the recording, but you have to go through iTunes sharing for the moment. I know they're on multiple platforms with this, so I'm not sure how that effects the connectivity on iOS implementation. If they just supported AudioShare, and didn't bother with any other connectivity, I'd be fine with this. I just want to be able to record then move the recording into something else.

I'm hoping that this new sample import feature that's supposed to drop any day now, will utilize AudioShare and ALSO allow us to export out our in-app recordings. Fingers crossed. :)

• @skiphunt let us know how the sample import goes. Ultimately it seems like it's in pretty good shape and I'll probably check it out over the holidays. Curiousity is too much

• @db909 said:
    @skiphunt let us know how the sample import goes. Ultimately it seems like it's in pretty good shape and I'll probably check it out over the holidays. Curiousity is too much

Will do. It's a pretty weird and wonderful thing. I'm not sure it'd be popular with those who prefer more straight-forward, traditional instruments, or a very high degree of control... but for those who like to just get in there and get weird until something magical starts to emerge from the ether... it hits the spot.

• Great to see sample import coming. I hope it includes Link and IAA/AB3 too at some point. I really like what you can do with it.

• Fun

BUT

I don't know.

Feels like it needs a little work at times.

Not generative but it sort of feels that way to me. I know its not. But it just feels that way.

I am a sucker for visuals so I still use it. I am like a 3 year old...pretty blinking things and I am in.

PixTracker......in

Takete. in

KMashine. in

Flux Pad.

Any others?

It is like using those PianoScaper MoodScaper apps that you control the sounds but to a degree. More than those but still limited in the types of sounds and sequencer control.

Does have screen record.

I like the sounds I just think the app needs more depth and control.

I do like it don't get me wrong.

I use the iPhone version mostly these days.

If it does more than a VST keyboard, I like it.

I think the iOS GUI is the reason I use it over my brand new MacBook Pro majority of the time.

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:
    Fun

BUT

I don't know.

Not generative but it sort of feels that way to me. I know its not. But it just feels that way.

I am a sucker for visuals so I still use it. I am like a 3 year old...pretty blinking things and I am in.

PixTracker......in

Takete. in

KMashine. in

Flux Pad.

Any others?

It is like using those PianoScaper MoodScaper apps that you control the sounds but to a degree. More than those but still limited in the types of sounds and sequencer control.

Does have screen record.

I think the iOS GUI is the reason I use it over my brand new MacBook Pro majority of the time.

It does take some work to get any real control over it. I enjoy the experimentation and exploration though. You can also get some cool stuff going when you play with the built-in rhythm sequencer, and in multiple. Adding some animation to a couple nodes is fun. Also, gets very interesting with multi-touch using more than one or two fingers, with pinching, etc. The nodes start interacting with each other if pretty cool ways.

I got a bit further in my own progress with the app by spending more time with the built-in scenes to see how things were done.

• @skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Fun

BUT

I don't know.

PixTracker......in

Takete. in

KMashine. in

Flux Pad.

Any others?

Does have screen record.

It does take some work to get any real control over it. I enjoy the experimentation and exploration though. You can also get some cool stuff going when you play with the built-in rhythm sequencer, and in multiple. Adding some animation do a couple nodes is fun. Also, gets very interesting with multi-touch using more than one or two fingers, with pinching, etc. The nodes start interacting with each other if pretty cool ways.

I got a bit further in my own progress with the app by spending more time with the built-in scenes to see how things were done.

I agree.

I have had this since Discchord had a piece on it months ago.

It is definite recommended at for glitch experimental ambient industrial type stuff.

I like the app don't get me wrong.'

We agree on almost everything

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:

@skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Fun

BUT

I don't know.

PixTracker......in

Takete. in

KMashine. in

Flux Pad.

Any others?

Does have screen record.

It does take some work to get any real control over it. I enjoy the experimentation and exploration though. You can also get some cool stuff going when you play with the built-in rhythm sequencer, and in multiple. Adding some animation do a couple nodes is fun. Also, gets very interesting with multi-touch using more than one or two fingers, with pinching, etc. The nodes start interacting with each other if pretty cool ways.

I agree.

It is definite recommended at for glitch experimental ambient industrial type stuff.

Oh no, I didn't take it that way! :) I think we both love this one for about the same reasons. And, I'd add that it's not one of those quick, get right to it sort of music apps. You have to kind of get into the appropriate mindset and commit to just experimenting for a little while.

At first I thought shrinking it down to also work on little iPhone screens was absurd, given the small interface elements. But, that last update that utilized the magnifying touch approach, solved that problem. Totally useful on even an iPhone SE now.

• Good to know it's usable on the phone as that was also an it concern of mine

• @skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Fun

BUT

I don't know.

PixTracker......in

Takete. in

KMashine. in

Flux Pad.

Any others?

Does have screen record.

I agree.

Oh no, I didn't take it that way! :) I think we both love this one for about the same reasons. And, I'd add that it's not one of those quick, get right to it sort of music apps. You have to kind of get into the appropriate mindset and commit to just experimenting for a little while.

At first I thought shrinking it down to also work on little iPhone screens was absurd, given the small interface elements. But, that last update that utilized the magnifying touch approach, solved that problem. Totally useful on even an iPhone SE now.

@db909 said:
    Good to know it's usable on the phone as that was also an it concern of mine

Here is another one I like.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monovista/id924658257?mt=8

• edited November 2017

@RUST( i )K said:

@skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Fun

BUT

I don't know.

PixTracker......in

Takete. in

KMashine. in

Flux Pad.

Any others?

Does have screen record.

I agree.

@db909 said:
    Good to know it's usable on the phone as that was also an it concern of mine

Here is another one I like.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monovista/id924658257?mt=8

That's pretty sweet. Love it! Thanks man! :)

• edited January 2020

New version !!

...but still no connectivity. I don't understand. I am in the middle of a depression

• Great, the granular synth is a nice addition :) shame that Link has not been fixed, but seems to be removed I think.

• Looks like record video has been removed too even though Rec Vid is still in the help menu.

Can’t seem to delete user samples or isolated mic recordings. Can’t manage any of the user library files and no Files folder for the app. Anyone know how?

Tried Rec Snd (record sound) and saved to audioshare but it doesn’t play and is only 44kb. Has a txt file associated with the save as well.

So far, not loving this update at all :(