AudioShare : How do you transfer files from AudioShare to a Windows machine?

My Windows has iTunes on it.

Comments

  • I would zip it in AudioShare and copy to Dropbox

  • I have a 'For PC' folder in Audioshare, everything I want to send to the PC I put in there, then Send that whole folder to Dropbox....Then on the PC use Dropbox to grab the files. A bit long winded but it works.

  • Or email.

  • edited November 2017

    @Bennett said:
    My Windows has iTunes on it.

    >

    My deepest sympathy.

    But more seriously, what AndyPlankton says works really well. Or Jurri’s advice for when file size is a consideration.

    E-mail is easier, but remember that some ISP’s have a limit on the size of attachments.

  • Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

  • @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    thats right, forgot about that option....

  • Icloud drive

  • @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    Yes, absolutely the fastest way. Solid too. I wish all apps had this.

  • @Martygras said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    Yes, absolutely the fastest way. Solid too. I wish all apps had this.

    I wonder if it will ever make it into the iOS 11 Files app in general? That would be so helpful.

  • @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare.

    :o
    You just crackled my pot sir.

  • @ecamburn said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare.

    :o
    You just crackled my pot sir.

    B)

  • @Jurri said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    thats right, forgot about that option....

    The web interface is a one-file-at-a-time affair. Zip it up within Audioshare first unless you're just trying to grab a couple of things. I've never tried with it Audioshare's web interface but if you use Firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ should work to grab all the files at once.

    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

  • @syrupcore said:

    @Jurri said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    thats right, forgot about that option....

    The web interface is a one-file-at-a-time affair. Zip it up within Audioshare first unless you're just trying to grab a couple of things. I've never tried with it Audioshare's web interface but if you use Firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ should work to grab all the files at once.

    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

    @samu just shared this on the GB vs. Cubasis thread:

    "If one needs to download files from the Internet or Networked resources (NAS etc.) I recommend Documents by Readle (it works in perfect harmony with the Files.app). The cool thing with Documents is that once you've set up your networked resources they are accessible from the standard Document Picker... (Say hello to direct import of files from your computers hard-drive)."

    Could this fit the bill?

  • edited November 2017

    @CracklePot said:

    @syrupcore said:

    @Jurri said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    thats right, forgot about that option....

    The web interface is a one-file-at-a-time affair. Zip it up within Audioshare first unless you're just trying to grab a couple of things. I've never tried with it Audioshare's web interface but if you use Firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ should work to grab all the files at once.

    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

    @samu just shared this on the GB vs. Cubasis thread:

    "If one needs to download files from the Internet or Networked resources (NAS etc.) I recommend Documents by Readle (it works in perfect harmony with the Files.app). The cool thing with Documents is that once you've set up your networked resources they are accessible from the standard Document Picker... (Say hello to direct import of files from your computers hard-drive)."

    Could this fit the bill?

    It should, I just copied the entire BM3 folder to my Mac Desktop using Documents by Readle :)
    I still do recommend to *.zip the files that need to be transferred for speed... iOS is 'slow' at uploading...

  • edited November 2017

    @Samu said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @syrupcore said:
    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

    @samu just shared this on the GB vs. Cubasis thread:

    "If one needs to download files from the Internet or Networked resources (NAS etc.) I recommend Documents by Readle (it works in perfect harmony with the Files.app). The cool thing with Documents is that once you've set up your networked resources they are accessible from the standard Document Picker... (Say hello to direct import of files from your computers hard-drive)."

    Could this fit the bill?

    It should, I just copied the entire BM3 folder to my Mac Desktop using Documents by Readle :)

    Cheers, both. Will check it out. The thought was more about being able to use existing desktop tools to keep folders in sync across devices without having to copy everything at once. Like Beyond Compare, etc.

    Not so much for keeping libraries and the like in sync. More for 'Do I actually have everything backed up?' purposes.

  • @syrupcore said:

    @Samu said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @syrupcore said:
    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

    @samu just shared this on the GB vs. Cubasis thread:

    "If one needs to download files from the Internet or Networked resources (NAS etc.) I recommend Documents by Readle (it works in perfect harmony with the Files.app). The cool thing with Documents is that once you've set up your networked resources they are accessible from the standard Document Picker... (Say hello to direct import of files from your computers hard-drive)."

    Could this fit the bill?

    It should, I just copied the entire BM3 folder to my Mac Desktop using Documents by Readle :)

    Cheers, both. Will check it out. The thought was more about being able to use existing desktop tools to keep folders in sync across devices without having to copy everything at once. Like Beyond Compare, etc.

    Not so much for keeping libraries and the like in sync. More for 'Do I actually have everything backed up?' purposes.

    I do a 'backup' to iTunes for all the documents and have never lost a file.
    The apps will NOT be backed up only a 'list of apps', those will be re-installed on restore if needed.

    Back to the 'Files -> Computer'.
    In the Files.app tap the folder you want to transfer to a computer and select 'copy' (due to APFS the files will actually not be duplicated when you do a paste). Paste the files into 'Documents' in Files.app, Launch Documents app connect to your computer, navigate to the folder where you wan't to put them and select paste.

    For 'loading' stuff from your computer just bring up the Documents 'Pop-Over' and drag the files from there.
    Drag'n'Drop is not implemented in all apps yet so the success rate may vary...

  • @Jurri said:
    I would zip it in AudioShare and copy to Dropbox

    That's what I'm doing now - thanks. I can transfer to the laptop but I've yet to find out whether I can download from Dropbox into AudioShare. I think that would be a good method of doing things if possible. On the down side though I don't think you're able to sync files to dropbox from AudioShare.

  • @AndyPlankton said:
    I have a 'For PC' folder in Audioshare, everything I want to send to the PC I put in there, then Send that whole folder to Dropbox....Then on the PC use Dropbox to grab the files. A bit long winded but it works.

    Yep, that pretty much works for me.

  • @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    The problem is I don't understand the lingo. The words 'start up your Wifi drive' simply don't compute. I've absolutely no idea what that means. At the moment I have internet on my laptop purely because I've tethered my phone to it. But I think what you're talking about doesn't involve the internet. You seem to be talking about a straightforward transfer from ios to Windows using Wifi (oh, I guess it does involve the internet). Is that right?

  • @shoutn95 said:
    Icloud drive

    From within AudioShare I seem to only have a Dropbox choice. I can't see a way to upload to iCloud drive

  • @CracklePot said:

    @syrupcore said:

    @Jurri said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    thats right, forgot about that option....

    The web interface is a one-file-at-a-time affair. Zip it up within Audioshare first unless you're just trying to grab a couple of things. I've never tried with it Audioshare's web interface but if you use Firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ should work to grab all the files at once.

    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

    @samu just shared this on the GB vs. Cubasis thread:

    "If one needs to download files from the Internet or Networked resources (NAS etc.) I recommend Documents by Readle (it works in perfect harmony with the Files.app). The cool thing with Documents is that once you've set up your networked resources they are accessible from the standard Document Picker... (Say hello to direct import of files from your computers hard-drive)."

    Could this fit the bill?

    I want to use AudioShare as that's the app which manages my audio files.

  • @Samu said:

    @syrupcore said:

    @Samu said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @syrupcore said:
    Would love to see support for WebDAV in Audioshare one day. Then you could mount it as a folder on your computer and use regular sync/backup apps or folder comparison apps so that you're only backing up new stuff.

    @samu just shared this on the GB vs. Cubasis thread:

    "If one needs to download files from the Internet or Networked resources (NAS etc.) I recommend Documents by Readle (it works in perfect harmony with the Files.app). The cool thing with Documents is that once you've set up your networked resources they are accessible from the standard Document Picker... (Say hello to direct import of files from your computers hard-drive)."

    Could this fit the bill?

    It should, I just copied the entire BM3 folder to my Mac Desktop using Documents by Readle :)

    Cheers, both. Will check it out. The thought was more about being able to use existing desktop tools to keep folders in sync across devices without having to copy everything at once. Like Beyond Compare, etc.

    Not so much for keeping libraries and the like in sync. More for 'Do I actually have everything backed up?' purposes.

    I do a 'backup' to iTunes for all the documents and have never lost a file.
    The apps will NOT be backed up only a 'list of apps', those will be re-installed on restore if needed.

    Back to the 'Files -> Computer'.
    In the Files.app tap the folder you want to transfer to a computer and select 'copy' (due to APFS the files will actually not be duplicated when you do a paste). Paste the files into 'Documents' in Files.app, Launch Documents app connect to your computer, navigate to the folder where you wan't to put them and select paste.

    For 'loading' stuff from your computer just bring up the Documents 'Pop-Over' and drag the files from there.
    Drag'n'Drop is not implemented in all apps yet so the success rate may vary...

    I have been able to backup to itunes but in iTunes itself I can't see where my backed up files are and I can't be arsed to search directories on the harddrive to find it when iTunes should show them in one of its windows.

  • @Bennett said:

    I have been able to backup to itunes but in iTunes itself I can't see where my backed up files are and I can't be arsed to search directories on the harddrive to find it when iTunes should show them in one of its windows.

    In iTunes preferences you can actually see where the 'backup files' are stored.
    (iTunes->Preferences->Devices right click on the 'backup' and 'show in Explorer or Finder').

    The content is total gibberish but I suppose there are other apps that can be used to dig thru the backup and pick out individual files unless it's an 'encrypted' backup.

  • Somewhere in iTunes there should be a place to view the "File Sharing" folders of apps that supports this. AudioShare's "iTunes File Sharing" folder can be accessed this way, when the iOS device is plugged into the computer.

    If you let your phone share its internet via wifi (make it a wifi hotspot), then your computer and phone will be on the same local network and you can use the "WiFi Drive" functionality in AudioShare: Just tap the blue wifi button in AudioShare, enable the toggle and enter the given URL in your webbrowser on your computer.

  • @Bennett said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Use the Wifi FTP server in Audioshare. In Windows open a web browswer and point it to the ip address Audioshare gives you when you start up the Wifi drive and all of your files appear in the web browser window, and you can hit the download button to copy it to your Windows computer. It is really fast to transfer if you are on your home network.

    The problem is I don't understand the lingo. The words 'start up your Wifi drive' simply don't compute. I've absolutely no idea what that means. At the moment I have internet on my laptop purely because I've tethered my phone to it. But I think what you're talking about doesn't involve the internet. You seem to be talking about a straightforward transfer from ios to Windows using Wifi (oh, I guess it does involve the internet). Is that right?

    Sorry that was a bit vague. In Audioshare it is the third button on the bottom of the files list panel. It is blue with a Wifi -looking graphic. Hit the button and and flip the switch to "on" and you will see an i.p. address that you can enter in any web browser to see your files stored in Audioshare. You can also drag files into this window on your web browser to add them to Audioshare. You can do Audio, MIDI, and .SF2 soundfonts from my experience. There may be more file types that work as well, but I have not tried any others as of yet.

  • @Bennett said:
    From within AudioShare I seem to only have a Dropbox choice. I can't see a way to upload to iCloud drive

    You can save the file to iCloud drive within audioshare.

Sign In or Register to comment.