Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUFX apps updated. EDIT: one year ago...

Comments

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:

@djjuniorpops said:
    Still no AU support , don’t think developer is so keen on adding AU

It will happen eventually. He is just really busy with other things, I believe. He was on here last week asking for feedback on some new Midi routing system in AUM.

Yeah the guy is gonna make AUM even better, possible midi record... maybe. I’m sure AUM is the priority as everyone seems to be using it nowadays and with some clever additions it can really be a one stop solution to live performance and recording without complexity and touching a DAW and that is a big deal from my perspective.

I would love to see the AUFX updates though 😏

• It is ironic that apps called AUFX don’t include AU3. ;) Especially as they are such excellent apps in all other ways.

• @Zen210507 said:
    It is ironic that apps called AUFX don’t include AU3. ;) Especially as they are such excellent apps in all other ways.

If you check the dates you'll see that I released the AUFX apps long before AUv3 came to iOS! :)

AUFX simply stands for Audio Effect.

And yes, I'm still planning to make AUv3 versions of the AUFX apps.

PS. This last update was to fix an Inter-App Audio "buzzing noise" bug that crept back in with iOS 11.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    If you check the dates you'll see that I released the AUFX apps long before AUv3 came to iOS! :)

Yes, I remember. :)

Looking forward to your AU updates, when time permits.

• @j_liljedahl said:.
    And yes, I'm still planning to make AUv3 versions of the AUFX apps.

PS. This last update was to fix an Inter-App Audio "buzzing noise" bug that crept back in with iOS 11.

Great news, Thank you! I was just having trouble with the buzzing in AUFX: Push yesterday, I’ll check the updates and see if it helps

• @j_liljedahl , thanks for the update, however I am quite sure that in the future of IOS the might not even be any IAA, AU seems to be the way to go and I am looking forward for AU update to your brilliant FX Apps.

• @djjuniorpops said:
    @j_liljedahl , thanks for the update, however I am quite sure that in the future of IOS the might not even be any IAA, AU seems to be the way to go and I am looking forward for AU update to your brilliant FX Apps.

Yeah, that's why one way of going forward would be to simply release new AUv3 versions of these as separate apps. Perhaps AU3FX:Space, etc :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@djjuniorpops said:
    @j_liljedahl , thanks for the update, however I am quite sure that in the future of IOS the might not even be any IAA, AU seems to be the way to go and I am looking forward for AU update to your brilliant FX Apps.

Yeah, that's why one way of going forward would be to simply release new AUv3 versions of these as separate apps. Perhaps AU3FX:Space, etc :)

That might be the way, just try one first and test the waters, I would like to see FXPush

• edited June 2018

I am always shocked when developers release free AUv3 updates for old apps that have been re-written. I thought that it takes a ton of work for the IAA > AU re-write process. It would make perfect sense for the AUv3 version to be a new app not an upgrade.

• edited June 2018

@Hmtx said:
    I am always shocked when developers release free AUv3 updates for old apps that have been re-written. I thought that it takes a ton of work for the IAA > AU re-write process. It would make perfect sense for the AUv3 version to be a new app not an upgrade.

well there is the other side of the customer paying for all the apps that need this sort of upgrade. its a lot of apps. Difficult situation. Lets take the AUFX, i only bought the combo pack 2 weeks ago. Is it fair for me to pay again?

• @Hmtx said:

It would make perfect sense for the AUv3 version to be a new app not an upgrade.
    >

How about one AU app, that combines the current AUFX Filters. Along the lines of what AudioDamage did with QuatroMod. That would surely sell well, and be a goodwill gesture to all those who have bought non AU versions.

• Its not semantics imho. Update/upgrade
    Evolution/revolution
    Im always happy with free stuff but I also understand the diffetence between Apple/Microsoft giving updates for free and a small companies/ one man show doing the same.
    AUM to me is an undisputably top quality app which is historic in importance with until recently, hardly any competition. (It was a revolution as much as Audiobus was, as everyone knows)
    The effects are excellent but there are lots of great effects devs now. I say focus on AUM personally but whatever @j_liljedahl does will be a success I recon

• @theinvisibleman said:
    well there is the other side of the customer paying for all the apps that need this sort of upgrade. its a lot of apps. Difficult situation. Lets take the AUFX, i only bought the combo pack 2 weeks ago. Is it fair for me to pay again?

Yes, its fair. When we buy something on the AppStore it is up to the buyer to read the description and know what we are purchasing. As of now, purchasing an AUFX app for about $5 provides you with a very good, stable IAA and Audiobus effect. There is no mention that you will get a free upgrade to AUv3.
    So its on you if you buy an app that you believe "needs this sort of upgrade."

"its a lot of apps" - yep. Anyone could have sandboxed their older IAA and Audiobus 2 systems and use them for years with $0 cost going forward. Keep it on iOS 10, disable auto-updates and you'll be fine. But if you want the new technology of AUv3, of course there is going to be a significant cost to upgrading to something new.

no hard feelings @theinvisibleman but if iOS music is going to mature and become a sustainable platform we've got to accept the cost of development, and expect less for free.

• @Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

Yes, its fair. When we buy something on the AppStore it is up to the buyer to read the description and know what we are purchasing. As of now, purchasing an AUFX app for about $5 provides you with a very good, stable IAA and Audiobus effect. There is no mention that you will get a free upgrade to AUv3.

"its a lot of apps" - yep. Anyone could have sandboxed their older IAA and Audiobus 2 systems and use them for years with $0 cost going forward. Keep it on iOS 10, disable auto-updates and you'll be fine. But if you want the new technology of AUv3, of course there is going to be a significant cost to upgrading to something new.

no hard feelings @theinvisibleman but if iOS music is going to mature and become a sustainable platform we've got to accept the cost of development, and expect less for free.

So you think it OK for me to buy an app and pay for it again a few months after? I disagree completely.

• @theinvisibleman said:
    So you think it OK for me to buy an app and pay for it again a few months after? I disagree completely.

I think you misunderstand the situation. You bought an IAA app. Use it and enjoy it. If you don't get $5 of use in a few months... you might have made the wrong purchase.

If you want an AUv3 app, yes you'll have to buy that also. The AUv3 app might look similar, but underneath is a new app with a major investment of time and cost.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. If you’re not willing to pay for extra functionality then the dev stops developing that app and now you’ve got nothing. Do you work for free? I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of @j_liljedahl apps and have no problem paying for added features.

• edited June 2018

@anickt said:

@theinvisibleman said:

@Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. If you’re not willing to pay for extra functionality then the dev stops developing that app and now you’ve got nothing. Do you work for free? I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of @j_liljedahl apps and have no problem paying for added features.

Now your implying I don’t support the developers? I just spent about 200 euro on music apps in the last two weeks on many different apps from different designers and I own all the apps of the developer you decided to tag into this and yes I work very hard for that money.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

Totally. In fact, there are two apps. IAA and AU's. Two different apps.

So yeah, I'll buy any AU's update if it fits on my worflow or inspire me.

• edited June 2018

@Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

I think you misunderstand the situation. You bought an IAA app. Use it and enjoy it. If you don't get $5 of use in a few months... you might have made the wrong purchase.

If you want an AUv3 app, yes you'll have to buy that also. The AUv3 app might look similar, but underneath is a new app with a major investment of time and cost.

I think you also misunderstand, not all people buy an app and know the difference between a IAA and a AUV3. They buy the app that's there, you can't expect everyone to understand the current situation and future developments.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@anickt said:

@theinvisibleman said:

@Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

Now your implying I don’t support the developers? I just spent about 200 euro on music apps in the last two weeks on many different apps from different designers and I own all the apps of the developer you decided to tag into this and yes I work very hard for that money.

Not implying anything about you. Fact is, if devs don’t make money off their apps then it’s less likely that development will continue. Development takes time. Time is money.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@Hmtx said:

@theinvisibleman said:

I think you also misunderstand, not all people buy an app and know the difference between a IAA and a AUV3. They buy the app that's there, you can't expect everyone to understand the current situation and future developments.

If anyone that buy an app doesn't know what is IAA or AUV3, maybe doesn't need to pay the update. Simple as that.

And 200€ in terms of "music production" is literally NOTHING.

• @theinvisibleman I get what you are saying, and I feel for you. Same thing is happening to a few who just bought Galileo, only to have Galileo 2 announced and release in a couple of days. Sucks. But what can you do?

Some people go for the refund if they are still in the refund period, then buy the newer one instead. That’s perfectly legit in my opinion, but I would only do that if I was particularly broke at that time.

I used to feel burned if I bought an app at full price, only to have it go on sale or free a week later. I try to not look at it that way anymore. I am trying to understand the plight of iOS developers, and recognize that they are an integral part of this iOS music community.
    They really need our support, in all ways, not just monetarily. We are in a symbiotic type of relationship with developers of our beloved music apps.

I am in no way attempting to lecture here. I am just trying to share a different perspective on things. A perspective where we work together with developers and respect them for what they bring to this tiny iOS music scene. They are not the ones trying to get rich by selling us crappy, useless products we don’t need. That would be the the rest of world.
    These developers make the things we love, and do it out of love themselves for the most part. Just like none of us are getting rich off of our music, I doubt any devs are getting rich off of their apps.

• Firstly, @j_liljedahl can do whatever he likes and I will still buy in. He’s iOS royalty as far as I’m concerned :wink:

So here’s what I would be interested to know. I wonder if the developers who just went ahead and upgraded their existing IAA apps to AU (e.g. VirSyn, IceGear, Qneo, LivingMemory, and today Elliott Garage) saw a bump in sales that offset the development cost? Because they certainly increased their customer loyalty. So pleasing existing customers AND winning new business could be a win win situation!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@djjuniorpops said:

Two of your apps: AUM and Audioshare are in my absolute essentials list, and have changed the way I make music, and your AUFX are top quality.

I would have no problem whatsoever paying for AU versions, since you’re one of the most important developers on the platform!

• @gusgranite said:
    Firstly, @j_liljedahl can do whatever he likes and I will still buy in. He’s iOS royalty as far as I’m concerned :wink:

Precisely. :sunglasses:

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

Another thing to think about, is the App Store doesn’t have any mechanism to do what people seem to expect - that is to give recent purchasers a break on a new version. Even if they wanted to work something like that out, they couldn’t.

So what are they supposed to do? Cut off their revenue stream for some arbitrary time frame calculated not to piss off too many people by saying “wait! Don’t buy now because an AUv3 version will be available soon,” in the app description?

They can offer a bundle, which gives a discount if you own the older version. That’s better, but still a lot more impactful to them. They have now significantly reduced the return on investment of their time. That couple dollar decrease costs them WAY more than the piddly savings for the relatively few people that would be miffed. It’s a disproportionate burden on the developer. Just skip supersizing that next fast food order and worry about more important things. 😎

I don’t buy the complaining about not knowing the difference between technologies, and agree that if someone doesn’t know the difference it probably doesn’t matter for them. Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for informing themselves before buying? This makes me kind of sad. Especially at the relatively small “investment” level we’re talking about here.

I’m determined myself to be satisfied with the apps I buy as I bought them unless they’re buggy or misrepresented their features. If AUv3 is important to me (it is) then it’s going to take something extra special to move me off that stance. Patterning 2 is such an app. The new features aren’t of sufficient interest to me at this time to make me want it as a stand-alone app. That could change of course.

• @eustressor said:

@gusgranite said:
    Firstly, @j_liljedahl can do whatever he likes and I will still buy in. He’s iOS royalty as far as I’m concerned :wink:

Precisely. :sunglasses:

I am pretty sure he and @brambos got this whole AU thing rolling with AUM and Rozeta.
    Since the AU Midi stuff came along, it seems overall AU development really took off. AU was kind of slow to develop before that historical moment.

• edited August 2020

@wim said:
    Another thing to think about, is the App Store doesn’t have any mechanism to do what people seem to expect - that is to give recent purchasers a break on a new version. Even if they wanted to work something like that out, they couldn’t.

So what are they supposed to do? Cut off their revenue stream for some arbitrary time frame calculated not to piss off too many people by saying “wait! Don’t buy now because an AUv3 version will be available soon,” in the app description?

They can offer a bundle, which gives a discount if you own the older version. That’s better, but still a lot more impactful to them. They have now significantly reduced the return on investment of their time. That couple dollar decrease costs them WAY more than the piddly savings for the relatively few people that would be miffed. It’s a disproportionate burden on the developer. Just skip supersizing that next fast food order and worry about more important things. 😎

I don’t buy the complaining about not knowing the difference between technologies, and agree that if someone doesn’t know the difference it probably doesn’t matter for them. Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for informing themselves before buying? This makes me kind of sad. Especially at the relatively small “investment” level we’re talking about here.

I’m determined myself to be satisfied with the apps I buy as I bought them unless they’re buggy or misrepresented their features. If AUv3 is important to me (it is) then it’s going to take something extra special to move me off that stance. Patterning 2 is such an app. The new features aren’t of sufficient interest to me at this time to make me want it as a stand-alone app. That could change of course.

Nah I stick with Patterning 1. 2's clunky now with its separate pages if you go over 16 steps. Completely ruined the app, especially for programming while its running to find that perfect groove. The only advantage P2 has is importing files.

• @oat_phipps said:

@wim said:

Nah I stick with Patterning 1. 2's clunky now with its separate pages if you go over 16 steps. Completely ruined the app, especially for programming while its running to find that perfect groove. The only advantage P2 has is importing files.

That post wuz from a long time ago. I did end up getting Patterning 2. Hardly ever use it though despite its greatness.