Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Post your iOS setup

Comments

This is an old thread but it's informative to see the evolution. Might as well keep it going. Here's my current rig. I use it for practice, jamming and experimentation. Not into performance right now. Acoustic input (guitar, percussion, vocals) through Snowball USB mic. Mic and Korg NanoKontrol2 and NanoPad2 powered through USB hub. Headphone out.

NanoPad2: I use the XY pad to control the delay wet/dry mix of Magellan, my post input FX. All the active pads are used to control Loopy.

NanoKontrol2: The first 6 channels are each dedicated to a track in Loopy (Hand controls are easier when hands are available). The 7th channel is used to control the line input level of Magellan (effectively, my mic input) and Magellan delay feedback. The 8th channel is mapped to Turnado's dictator and wet/dry control for master FX.

• edited January 2015

Didn't realise this thread existed, but when I saw it got bumped I couldn't resist.

• iPad Air 1
    • M Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers
    • Korg NanoPad 2
    • Sony MDR-V6 headphones
    • Apogee Mic
    • Behringer UCA222 audio interface
    • Belkin 7xPowered USB hub
    • Korg MicroKontrol USB keyboard/controller
    • Griffin AlgoRiddim DJ Connect (allowing stereo queing as well as stereo out while DJing from the iPad)
    • Mophie USB power charger
    • iPhone 5 (not shown since used to take the pic)
    • A couple of Apple camera connection kit leads

I must say I've never actually used all this stuff together in one sitting (I produce, but don't perform live). Mostly I just use the iPad and headphones and that's it because i'm communting or on the sofa. But now and again i'll use the nanopad XY pad for controlling FX, or the UCA222 for recording iPhone into iPad, or of course the Mic. To be honest it's ony been very occassionally that I break out the MicroKontrol (although I love it).

• @Justajiva I love your modded NanoPad by the way... Very clever use of the pads.

• Thanks, Matt. It works great though it requires use without shoes for accuracy. Thanks for posting your setup.

• edited January 2015

Sorry @Matt_Fletcher_2000, I seem to be following you about :) Can't help but mention I love your no-doubt unintentional typo:

communting

I don't communt currently, but that sums up my memory of the matter far more poetically than the intended term... :)

• xenxen
    edited January 2015

http://forum.audiob.us/uploads/FileUpload/77/6eda4096050fd0bd7bc482b6d9fdb7.jpg

http://forum.audiob.us/uploads/FileUpload/ce/6d7545d48263e3fdd9f679625aae9f.jpg

The rack, from the top:

Novation Drum Station

Novation Super Bass Station

TC Electronic M350 Delay/Reverb

DBX 166XS Dual/Stereo Compressor

ESI ESU 1808 USB Audio Interface (18in 8out)

ESI M8UXL MIDI Interface (8 MIDI Pairs)

Cambridge Audio Amp

The Mixer is a Spirit Folio SX (20 Channels inc. 8 Direct outs)

iTrack Dock and an iPad Mini 2

The synths;

Bottom - Yamaha AN1x Virtual Analogue (bought new in '98 and I still haven't taken off the LCD screen cover, despite the fact most of the letters have worn off from round the control knobs) - I love this synth!!

Top - Roland RS-5 - not got a great reputation as a synth, and if I'm honest, most of the time it infuriates the hell out of me. But, I keep it because; 1 - I bought it new and hate the thought of admitting to myself I may have made a bad call; 2 - It is a solid GM synth - not that I ever really need a GM synth, but I might one day and 3 - Just when I am at my most frustrated with its lack of real synth parameters and its fiddly menus it turns up a sound that just works with whatever track I am currently developing

Under the desk;

Win 8.1 PC; i7 CPU, 32GB RAM running Cubase 8 and the Ableton Live LE I got free with the Gadget upgrade earlier in the year

Behind me - an electric/acoustic guitar that doesn't make it onto enough recordings, but does get plenty of use and generally keeps me sane.

• While building it....soon new pics of the updated version with iPad and monitors in a normal setup

• edited January 2015

My carry-on gig rig, and main cockpit at home

• A lot of sexy instruments there @Ollimac73 Is that halo or kaiser?

• @dwarman said:

My carry-on gig rig, and main cockpit at home

Cool. Can you explain a bit? Also... I couldn't read the module in the bottom of the page.

And what's mapped to the QuNeo?

The cockpit at the base station is just scary!

• @supadom said:

A lot of sexy instruments there @Ollimac73 Is that halo or kaiser?

Yeah. About to ask.

• edited January 2015

Here's my new thingy @JohnnyGoodyear (every time I use that word I think of you)

• Really mobileWhat interface are you using on the iPhone?

And what's that strsnge white turtle? To trigger Impaktor, I suppose. (?)

• @Macao95 said:

@supadom said:

Yeah. About to ask.

It is actually a Spacedrum from MetalSounds.
    The project is to mic it in Auria, adding some bass voices from the Moog, and some synth string sounds as lead.

• edited January 2015

@Ollimac73 said:

@Macao95 said:

@supadom said:

Yeah. About to ask.

It is actually a Spacedrum from MetalSounds.
    The project is to mic it in Auria, adding some bass voices from the Moog, and some synth string sounds as lead.

Sounds like a very nice plan. Good luck with it.

• @dwarman I always love your diagrams.

• Very impressive setups here!

Nice custom built "thingy" @supadom. Ha, you still uising that car battery?

• @supadom That little setup gives me some ideas. I have been thinking on how I can get everything consolidated into one portable rig. I am a guitar player that has turned to enjoying keyboard just a much so I need to figure out how to include my Axion 49, plus my newly acquired quneo.

• edited January 2015

@supadom said:

Here's my new thingy @JohnnyGoodyear (every time I use that word I think of you)

Hey, better to be thought of than not :)

I love these set-up pictures, but find myself staring at all the other information to be gathered or inferred from random objects in the background...a glimpse into the private life of well-known strangers etc.

• I'd like to post a photo my setup but it's rubbish in comparison to this lot. Though as a long term Photoshop operative I could always 'spruce things up a bit' (technical term) and insert a few modulars around the place, and add a bookcase filled with obscure esoterica to keep JohnnyG entertained...

• Isn't that a part of the exercise...to show off a bit of your life together with your tech-treasures?

I'm personally not for complex rigs @monzo probably mainly due to the upcoming dementia that doesn't let me cerebrally retain anything too complicated. This is why I always prefer to impro rather than execution. Simple is light, free and sweet. I sometimes long for times where my whole life would fit in a backpack.

• @supadom said:

I'm personally not for complex rigs @monzo probably mainly due to the upcoming dementia that doesn't let me cerebrally retain anything too complicated.

Sorry to hear about that :( Hope the iPad allows you to carry on enjoying your music.

@supadom said:

This is why I always prefer to impro rather than execution. Simple is light, free and sweet. I sometimes long for times where my whole life would fit in a backpack.

Yeah I like that too, I've been slowly building a live setup - Korg Mikrokey, MacBook, iPad, small-ish Yamaha mixer, and a potential future second iPad so the whole lot fits in a rucksack. I love the idea of being able to turn up for a gig with everything in one bag!

• These pictures give me some great ideas on how to set up and use my iPad while performing. Here are a couple of my set ups, depending on which instrument I am playing.
    I play drums in a band where we all double up on keyboards, depending on how much noise we want to make. I usually play Animoog, Nave or iMs-20 into Loopy, but since Module came out I am almost exclusively use the Whirly into Bias or Tonestack into Loopy. I use the nanopad to control Loopy, which allows me to stop and start loops while playing the drums.
    When playing guitar I use the Sonicport to incorporate the iPad into my pedal board. I love the fact that the Sonicport has an in and an out, but hate that since it uses the lightning port I can't use my controllers to control Loopy or Turnado.

• edited January 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear - not at all. I enjoy your comments on my comments :). My spelling is absolutely awful, but in this case it was a typo. I actually don't mind commuting because I've found a relatively quiet route and it gives me some 'me time' for 2 hours a day.

@Monzo. Come on... Your pic won't be crappier / more unimpressive than mine. Just show us yer stuff :). (I was toying with adding in and describing some audio cables just to bulk it out a bit).

• Hey @monzo, the dementia part was kind of a joke. I think my brain is just lazy ;)

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Monzo. Come on... Your pic won't be crappier / more unimpressive than mine. Just show us yer stuff :). (I was toying with adding in and describing some audio cables just to bulk it out a bit).

Alright, I'll have to tidy up first though ;)

@supadom said:

Hey @monzo, the dementia part was kind of a joke.

Good! I know the feeling, my memory's getting terrible, particularly when it comes to jobs around the house I'd promised Mrs Monzo I'd do...

• Yep, I forgot to put out the wash today. Ouch!

• Thanks for sharing, everyone. Keep 'em coming.

• @TGiG said:

Very impressive setups here!

Nice custom built "thingy" @supadom. Ha, you still uising that car battery?

Haha, nope. I still have the old rig stashed away but since a vast majority of my rig time is spent indoors these days I was getting fed up with keeping everything charged etc. it became a pointless self fulfilling exercise. The rig is still ultra portable though with only one plug to stick in the wall so not bad overall. I will eventually get around to closing it like a suitcase with a suitable funky handle and clips. Probably won't go as far as tolex though.

• edited January 2015

@supadom said:

Yep, I forgot to put out the wash today. Ouch!

Single objects rarely define a man. It's objects in combination and then taken out of any context that lead us to some understanding.

For example, imagine yourself behind a two way mirror.

Beyond the glass in an otherwise antiseptic and empty room, white walls, no furniture apart from a metal bench, a man stands staring back at you.

On the bench is a pineapple, a stuffed child's toy (perhaps a green frog), and a pair of yellow rubber gloves.
    He begins to smile....