Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Post your iOS setup

Comments

• I love the apogee mic! It's very good. Great for vocals and acoustic instruments.

• Studio setups seem to be continually evolving. Here is my current commuter studio:

http://flic.kr/p/fDQ9hz

• So, links show as links - how to embed link so photo shows?

• @Dwarman Just took that bainbridge ferry last weekend. And played with Nanostudio on it. Too funny.

• edited August 2013

Dwarman, Ya gotta link to the actual jpg and put it in HTML, somehow.... Is this the photo? (Edit: deleted, since it was not mine)

Nice mobile setup. Seems legit... As long as you aren't texting and driving :-b (edit: nice! Making music on the ferry)

• @Hmtx, Yeah, that's the one. I thought about the html embed option from flickr but it looked pretty big. I'll try that next time.

No, it's all packed away in a little Targus iPad bag when not in use.

iPad out is plugged into my 6.1 car system. I can annoy several adjacent vehicles.

@syrupcore, how often are you by this way?

• @dwarman, does the iPad power both controllers? Looks fun.

• @dwarman pretty rarely. I'm in PDX.

• @Hmtx - no, I have this little self-powered hub I found for that. Runs them for a few hours. The only one I could find that had an internal battery and the USB ports are real hub, not just charger outlets. For more gear I have a different hub that I power from a hefty 12AH Newertrent juice box.

• @Hmtx You are my idol ;-) I like your Travel setup....

• @Synapsya, I missed @Hmtx's setup, or are you talking about my car seat setup in the ferry terminal with the two QuToys that @Htmx reposted for me?

• Oh oops, yep that was Dwarman's setup. And yes, I love it too. I'm especially intrigued by battery powered mobile setups and the Quneo

• Interested in Amazon lnks to the battery solutions? I can post pics and links toniight...

• I got the EasyAcc 10,000mAh battery. It powers the Focusrite 2i2 nicely (via USB hub) :-)

http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-10000mAh-External-Battery-Capacity/dp/B00BJCHH36/

• @JuniorPops - nice! How are you using the nanoKONTROL2 here? I tried using mine with Auria but had poor results. Maybe I'm missing an incantation. Is the iphone plying in to Auria too?

• edited September 2013

@dwarman

The nanaKONTROL 2 got to be in the right mode for Auria, follow these steps and is should work.

1. Plug in the nanaKONTROL2 USB while holding down the play and set button on the nanoKONTROL.

2. Go to Midi settings in Auria then select the option Receive Remote in the NanoKONTROL tab

3. Select Mackie HUI in the Remote Protocol

4. Select 1 under the MMC Device ID

Then it should work just fine

The iPhone is receiving a output signal for Auria

• edited September 2013

My nearly ideal setup, surroundings and hammock included :-)

• edited September 2013

my latest setup. Not working very well because the laptop battery is empty after an hour. Looking for a power source that can be driven by solar panel, heat, or wind.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Phil999_02/IMG_0606_zps14807ef7.jpg

• @Phil999 - or a deep cycle RV battery with alternator? A 100W photo charger for it will run about $250 these days. RV'er supplies are a good place to look for alternatives.

Or just ditch the laptop :)

• @dwarman Yes...sorry I speak about your Car setup with Nanostudio...I can see you in traffic when play :)

• I really need a very quick setup/tear-down for the car setup. I get abut 10 minutes before the ferry starts loading, 10 minutes while I have to deal with driving on, then 35 minutes sitting until I have to get ready to leave at the island end. That setup seems to take 10 each way, leaving little time for creativity. I'm slowly coming to grips with the idea of building a custom briefcase that I just have to open and play. But my carpentry skills are minimal, so much so my wife made me sell my nice carpenter's saw.

• edited September 2013

it's a pity to have sold that saw - good tools are something you can always use.

Thank you for the tip with RV batteries, but I'm looking for a solution that provides power without additional battery between. Thermoelectrical like this http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/ or a solar panel with high efficiency.

And yes, for music production I leave the laptop at home now. One cannot do everything with the iPads, but it's enough. I like the dynamic mic that goes into the interface and to Auria. However, I plan to do also graphic work, so it would be nice to have a full desktop replacement out in the wild. I guess it will take a couple of years until I will have my fully self-sustainable system.

• @phil999 if you're the kinda fella that can afford three ipads, you're prolly also the kinda fella that can afford a 13" MacBook Air. 10hrs battery, silly lightweight, buttery.

• 4 iPads actually, one was used to take the picture. But I know what you mean. :)

I'm not that kind of guy. I just invest in hardware to be able to gain some income some day with street music and small gigs. That laptop was about the same cost as a small MB Air, but with a much faster CPU (that I need for u-he Diva), much more RAM (that I need for graphics), and two HD bays. Simply a better deal, albeit with much more weight and less battery life. Apple is good, but a luxury. And not the platform I need because of certain software.

The problem with my laptop is that it uses the Geforce card for Cubase instead of the Intel graphics, despite my settings. And the other periphericals like Interface, tablet and keyboard seem to use quite a bit of power. This reduces the battery life from 3 hours to 1. I guess this would be similar with a Macbook, although with more battery life in the end, maybe 2-3 hours. Even my iPads have to be recharged after two days, that's why I'm searching for an independant power source - which I cannot afford this year. A proper solar panel is 1000 SFR and up, and those thermoelectrical devices are just toys, like the cheaper panels. I've been researching quite a bit, but the market for decentralised solutions is still very young. Good products are reserved for space and military, the average consumer is not allowed to use that kind of technology. Or only for high prices.

It's an experiment, not entirely working. But fun nonetheless. I learned a lot, and might break through the limitations next year. I wasn't really prepared for this particular situation in the wilderness, it was a bit of a coincidence. Thanks for the tip anyway.

If anyone has some further infos about mobile setups, I'm interested.

• My 2.5-3 year old MacBook Pro still gets close to 5 hours on the battery. I don't think they're just 'luxury'. They use good parts and are well built machines. Certainly, luxurious but I guess I mean to say that the price isn't born of a luxury tax alone.

• http://www.voltaicsystems.com/16wattkit.php

@phil999 this looks like a decent solar powered battery system. Panel is $130 USD and you could get a cheaper battery from Amazon, making the total system under $250 before shipping.

Also, it looks like you can double up the solar panels so the battery is charged in half the time.

• and @syrupcore I agree about Macs. My 2008 Macbook Pro is still doing everything I need a laptop to do including video, audio, 2 hour battery life.

that's just good value. $380/year of use by my estimate. (plus a $120 hard drive upgrade, then a $90 SSD upgrade last year)

• @Hmtx same here. I think mine is the first or second intel gen. I picked it up at the end of 2007. Only issue was the screen eventually crapped out, a common problem with that generation. Got one warranty-covered service repair that lasted for about 4 months until it died completely... but the monitor out still works so, no major issues. Just not quite mobile anymore.

Still though, the damn thing is a workhorse.

• http://www.voltaicsystems.com/16wattkit.php

@phil999 this looks like a decent solar powered battery system. Panel is $130 USD and you could get a cheaper battery from Amazon, making the total system under $250 before shipping.

Also, it looks like you can double up the solar panels so the battery is charged in half the time.

thank you Hmtx. But I'm looking for a solution that runs (and charges) the devices directly, without additional batteries or converters in-between. And there are panels with optical elements and/or several layers. They just aren't cheap, and hard to find.

And again about Macbooks: I'd love to have one, but I'm a power user that needs much CPU, GPU, and RAM. More than average tasks. But I see the discussion gets a bit out of topic, I'll open a new thread about mobile computing.