Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM doesn’t save my AU FX preset...

Such a bit frustating to recall (and remind) fx preset with audio damage fx within AUM... Is something me wrong?

Comments

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2017

We need some more information to help you.

• Which of the audio damage fx do you have problems with ?
    • Do you load the plugin as AU or IAA ?
    • IOS version and iphone/ipad model
    • Do you try to save a single preset of the fx, using the AUM button in the top left of the AU window (icon with 4 lines like a menu) and using the plus button and naming the preset ?
    • Or do you try to save a new preset using the Audio-Damage preset manager by tapping on the preset name, selecting user and the ‚save preset‘ ?
    • Or do you mean that when fiddling around with plugin parameters (and not saving them) and saving the AUM setup these parameters are no recalled when loading in the AUM preset ?
  • @_ki said:

• Do you try to save a single preset of the fx, using the AUM button in the top left of the AU window (icon with 4 lines like a menu) and using the plus button and naming the preset ?
    • Or do you try to save a new preset using the Audio-Damage preset manager by tapping on the preset name, selecting user and the ‚save preset‘ ?
    • Or do you mean that when fiddling around with plugin parameters (and not saving them) and saving the AUM setup these parameters are no recalled when loading in the AUM preset ?

Thanx for your response;

I am using Dubstation 2 as AU on Ipad Pro 2017 with the latest official IOS.
    I am not trying to save any preset as I use a factory preset. Dubstation always load at startup the initial default preset within AUM ???

• @shoutn95 said:

@_ki said:

Thanx for your response;

I am using Dubstation 2 as AU on Ipad Pro 2017 with the latest official IOS.
    I am not trying to save any preset as I use a factory preset. Dubstation always load at startup the initial default preset within AUM ???

It has to do with the fx not AUM. I have the same problem and I asked the forum. @Chris_Randall at AD said saving preset will come in an update. Their replicant 2 fx is one of the best best in my opinion and it can save presets so hopefully saving presets will soon come to all their fx.

• For clarity, unless I’ve misunderstood, I think what you’re talking about here is “state saving” rather than “preset saving”.

State saving is having the AU come back with the exact same settings as you left it in, regardless of the preset that might have been initiallly loaded. All AUv3 apps should do that. If not then it’s a bug.

Preset saving is saving those settings to a named preset, to be recalled later at will. I don’t think “state saving” is meant to recall a preset - if that makes any sense.

Some apps might say that they’re in a default preset when loaded, but actually have different settings based on the state save.

I recall some of @brambos apps at one point loading the state, but the knobs not reflecting the value until moved. This had something to do with having no way to initialize the knob settings even though their values were set. Probably sorted by now, but it rung a bell.

• @wim yes I think you are right I have to check if the « state saving » is working even if the app always indicate the default preset... I thought about that but I did not take the time to check this yet...); I will do that as soon as possible! Thanks.

@fattigman I do not need to save presets at this time as I use preset without changing settings. As @wim suggest I care more about state saving I think. I have to check if the fx sounds as I let my config before leaving AUM. (Hope to be clear enough...)

• @wim you're right I was referring to state saving.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2017

i just tested all three variants with Dubstation 2 AU:

• Saving/loading with AUM window menu
      Works - when losading back this setting, all knobs are adjusted. One can specify a name for the preset, none of the initial presets of Dubstation are shown in the menu

• Saving/loading a preset using Dubstations preset manager
      Works. The presets appear under User Preset 1-N, you cant name them or delete them

• Saving/loading an AUM setup with modified Dubstation preset
      Works, all knobs get the values they had when saved. But the preset name is displayed as Default.

@Chris_Randall , @j_liljedahl
    There seems to be small bug concerning the Dual mode in Dubstation. Loading presets (AUM or preset manager) with this mode correctly shows both delay time knobs.But if one saves an AUM setup with dual mode set, it will revert to one knob when loaded again, even though the dual mode switch is shown as enabled.
    The two different delay times are working as saved, even there is only one knob shown...

• @shoutn95 I loaded dubstation 2 and replicant 2 in aum. Only replicants state is saved. You can read @Chris_Randall comments about this problem here https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21002/audio-damage-effects#latest

• @wim said:
    For clarity, unless I’ve misunderstood, I think what you’re talking about here is “state saving” rather than “preset saving”.
    Some apps might say that they’re in a default preset when loaded, but actually have different settings based on the state save.

I recall some of @brambos apps at one point loading the state, but the knobs not reflecting the value until moved. This had something to do with having no way to initialize the knob settings even though their values were set. Probably sorted by now, but it rung a bell.

+1 I recall that conversation that went on - that AUs state was saved. In a way, one could expect that state saving was (or should be) like a program change - recalling a named preset, with the name and knobs in the right spots. But in reality it seems to be consistent with the general iOS approach to "saving"; it just happens. Presuming a program change-like behavior might require one to save that preset/patch prior to exiting maybe? Not an Apple-like presumption, so probably not how the feature was designed.
    But in reality, a cross between the two would be useful - an indication of what preset was used with an indication (and restoration) of where the knobs were when the project was closed. For instance, GeoShred throws an asterisk after the patch name if one tweaks anything - if one reopened a project and it's embedded AU and could see the "best bass patch" with a star next to it, that would get one back into where they left the project all the better.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2017

@fattigman In my tests, the state of Dubstation 2 was saved with the AUM setting - only the name of the preset is not saved. When loading back the AUM setting, all knobs and switches are set to their saved values - only the name changed to ‚Default‘ since it was not stored.

This also happens with many other plugins (not only from Audio Damage) and in other AU hosts - to fix this an AU has to somehow published the name of the originating preset itself as AU parameter to allow saving/restoring by the host.

Not saving the preset name is „the standard“, since saving needs special treatment in the AUs. The name of the last loaded preset itself (a list of characters, not a user modifable number for a knob or an on/off switch) is not a ‚real‘ plugin parameter as it does not modify the plugins state. That’s why there are only a few AU plugins that save the name like for instance Replicant or Axon.

I just checked my AUs:
    FAC chorus changes the name to „user host preset“
    FoldR changes the name to „user“
    The Blamsoft AUs or Ape AUs don‘t show preset names :)

BTW the same applies to AudiaBus state saving an IAA instruments - the preset name of an IAA has to be part of its state, otherwise it can not be loaded back.

Upps - that took way to long to answer :) Wim and others already explained the same topic...

• @_ki thank you for the clarification.

• Note that AU state saving is not necessarily only parameters. Hosts does not use the individual AU parameters when saving/restoring state. The plugin can save any data in the state, also binary blobs, text, or even audio.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Note that AU state saving is not necessarily only parameters. Hosts does not use the individual AU parameters when saving/restoring state. The plugin can save any data in the state, also binary blobs, text, or even audio.

Blessings to all,

Going to be using AUM on my iPhone live on stage today for our church worship service. Was very concerned because my delay effects were not recalling the saved preset. [Taking backup pedalboard just in case]. The only apps that are recalling the saved preset are: Tonex and THU overloud. All others like FX Rack, Blackhole Reverb and Nembrini apps show default as the preset. Thankfully I saved the delays as Presets in AUM. But even so, they still show default. I recall that if I saved the preset in AUM it would revert to that User AUM preset and not show default. Is this something that was just recently introduced?

• @Tones4Christ said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Note that AU state saving is not necessarily only parameters. Hosts does not use the individual AU parameters when saving/restoring state. The plugin can save any data in the state, also binary blobs, text, or even audio.

Blessings to all,

Going to be using AUM on my iPhone live on stage today for our church worship service. Was very concerned because my delay effects were not recalling the saved preset. [Taking backup pedalboard just in case]. The only apps that are recalling the saved preset are: Tonex and THU overloud. All others like FX Rack, Blackhole Reverb and Nembrini apps show default as the preset. Thankfully I saved the delays as Presets in AUM. But even so, they still show default. I recall that if I saved the preset in AUM it would revert to that User AUM preset and not show default. Is this something that was just recently introduced?

Remember that the AUv3 might not save the name of the preset in its saved state. The restored AUM session likely has the correct parameters in the loaded AUv3s. The displayed preset name is not a reliable indicator of the AUv3 settings. This makes sense in a way, since you might have changed the AUv3 parameters after loading a preset, which would invalidate the original preset name.

• edited December 2023

Thanks! Got to rehearsal this morning and Bam! Iphone battery dead :#
    Thank God I had my backup pedalboard lol
    Got the battery charged up and loaded AUM and everything went really well! First time playing Tonex on iPhone at church!!!

Regarding the settings for apps, i noticed that the Nembrini eack Delay doesn't show the correct Delay setting i.e. dotted 8th or 1/4 Note, but the other settings do show correctly like feedback and mix. That's why I was concerned if even though it shows default I wondered if it really did save the correct state of the app. So I decided not to use that app for now and used FX Rack instead for my delays.

Thanks for the info!

• edited January 6

@j_liljedahl @wim

Need help please.
    So I'm stuck figuring out how to program AUM to cycle through Tempo Presets via midi footswitches. I only have 2 available midi switches. Anyone have a clue? So I have 4 Tempo Presets I need to switch for tomorrow's worship set and I thought I had figured this out but just drew a blank. Any help truly appreciated.

• wimwim
    edited January 6

What do you mean by "tempo presets"? There's no such thing in AUM.

Did you mean AUM's tempo? Or a tempo setting of a particular plugin, such as a delay? Or, a plugin preset that sets the tempo of a plugin? Or?

• @wim said:

Did you mean AUM's tempo? Or a tempo setting of a particular plugin, such as a delay? Or, a plugin preset that sets the tempo of a plugin? Or?

Yeah, I thought so too. Lol but I forgot how I learned it. It's in the Midi control section under parameters. Scroll down the list; it's after tap Tempo and tempo. Just can't figure out how to cycle through the list of preset tempos I've created.

• wimwim
    edited January 6

@Tones4Christ said:

@wim said:

Yeah, I thought so too. Lol but I forgot how I learned it. It's in the Midi control section under parameters. Scroll down the list; it's after tap Tempo and tempo. Just can't figure out how to cycle through the list of preset tempos I've created.

I still have no clue what you're talking about. I know there's a tempo adjustment, but there's no "preset" associated with that. You'd need something that cycles through specific CC values that set the tempos you want. Did you have a mozaic or streambyter script or something to do that?

• @Tones4Christ said:

@wim said:

It looks like you can assign MIDI events to recall the presets, I don't see an option to cycle through them. I think you would need to use some sort of scripting to be able to scroll through them. Loopy has a way to cycle through presets but I don't know of a way to do that in AUM.

• Oh shit! I can't believe I totally missed the Tempo Presets parameter. Wow. I'm embarrassed now. 😂

A mozaic or streambyter script would be pretty easy to make to cycle through the presets. Did you maybe have something like that @Tones4Christ?

• @wim said:

• wimwim
    edited January 6

Thanks @Tones4Christ I see it now. See other posts from @espiegel123 and me about cycling through those presets with fewer than four foot switches. Did you maybe you have a mozaic or streambyter helper script to do this?

• @wim said:
    Oh shit! I can't believe I totally missed the Tempo Presets parameter. Wow. I'm embarrassed now. 😂

A mozaic or streambyter script would be pretty easy to make to cycle through the presets. Did you maybe have something like that @Tones4Christ?

Thanks WIM. No I have no clue how to build one and worst, I have to use my pedals tomorrow :#

Last resort will be to program a tap Tempo to another switch.

Here's the Midi info that the bottom switch labeled A on my Xtone board sends and also the upper switch labeled D:
    Please see pic. I used AUM'S Midi learn to display the Midi it sends.

• I do have mosaic. Can the Midi info I sent you help?

• I can write you a script, but I don't know if it's wise to rely on that for a live performance with less than a day to test. I'd need to know:

• What midi messages do the foot switches you want to use send?
    • Would you prefer to use one switch cycling through presets (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4)?
    • Or or one that selects the next preset and one that selects the previous preset, with down being ignored on preset 1 and up being ignored on preset 4.

Changing things up on one day notice. Not good if you ask me.

• edited January 6

So midi switch D sends CH1 CC24

And Midi switch A sends via CH1 CC10

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tones4Christ said:

@wim said:

It looks like you can assign MIDI events to recall the presets, I don't see an option to cycle through them. I think you would need to use some sort of scripting to be able to scroll through them. Loopy has a way to cycle through presets but I don't know of a way to do that in AUM.

yeah, i desperately need to lean Loopy Pro! all the holidays and hosting family over took all my time. but i thought i had nailed AUM down. i think a script would really help. hopefully one of you guys has some free time. if not today perhaps next week. I will have to wing it with tap tempo.

• Also I forgot to mention that yeah, it's the tempo for the entire AUM session which in turn adjusts my delays plugin tempos as they're AU plugins. If I save them on the list, I can cycle through only 2 presets but I really thought I would be able to cycle through more than just 2 presets.