Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which MacBook hub/dongle/whatever do you use?

So now I just bought a base model MacBook Pro 13”,
and now I got to live with the fact that it has only 2 usb-c ports.

What’s your favorite (sigh :neutral:) usb-c hub or dongle or whatever for connecting your MacBook with your other things as audio interface, midi controllers, external monitor etc?
Thanks!

Comments

• Monitors... how many and what resolution, and connector types? What specific Mac model? Follow up will be... there are quite a few options, but the confusion between TB3, USB-C, and some other factors is def important. I’d look at ONAC, OWC, Elgato for some starters

• No hub here. Bought a complete new set of cables and replaced all that chubby usb stuff from the past.

• Interesting move. I am interested to hear why you did not get a 15 inch model 2015. Refurbished in the Apple store, they are not much more expensive than other 256 GB 13 inch model. And they do have much more power.
    Are you using Logic Remote? I find it very cool, unfortunately the wireless connection seems a little unstable. Sometimes it's working fine over here and sometimes it doesn't. I can't find a reason for this,

• @Aud_iOS said:
    Monitors... how many and what resolution, and connector types? What specific Mac model? Follow up will be... there are quite a few options, but the confusion between TB3, USB-C, and some other factors is def important. I’d look at ONAC, OWC, Elgato for some starters

-No Monitors atm.
    -2017 MacBook Pro 13” (2 usb-c Thunderbolt 3 ports)

I need to connect my usb audio interface and Ableton Push, I know there are cables but I’d like to have a free port for charging the computer.

• @teleb said:
    Interesting move. I am interested to hear why you did not get a 15 inch model 2015. Refurbished in the Apple store, they are not much more expensive than other 256 GB 13 inch model. And they do have much more power.
    Are you using Logic Remote? I find it very cool, unfortunately the wireless connection seems a little unstable. Sometimes it's working fine over here and sometimes it doesn't. I can't find a reason for this,

I find a new 13” (256gb) on offer on a local shop, with a 250€ discount on the regular price (1550€ instead of 1800€).

The 2015 15” MacBook Pro here it’s 2300€...

• edited November 2017

I’ll pick it up Monday,

I don’t have a daw yet but I’m planning to start working with Live and Push,
    Just waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to take the plunge.

• @rumorazzi said:

@teleb said:
    Interesting move. I am interested to hear why you did not get a 15 inch model 2015. Refurbished in the Apple store, they are not much more expensive than other 256 GB 13 inch model. And they do have much more power.

I find a new 13” (256gb) on offer on a local shop, with a 250€ discount on the regular price (1550€ instead of 1800€).

Wow, refurbished directly from Apple, you get it for 1909€ here.
    Where are you from?

• @rumorazzi said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    Monitors... how many and what resolution, and connector types? What specific Mac model? Follow up will be... there are quite a few options, but the confusion between TB3, USB-C, and some other factors is def important. I’d look at ONAC, OWC, Elgato for some starters

-No Monitors atm.

I need to connect my usb audio interface and Ableton Push, I know there are cables but I’d like to have a free port for charging the computer.

Gotcha - I find it very confusing. USB-C is a meaningless term. In your case, yes TB3, which are also USB 3.1SS+ ports (10GB). The challenge, as you point out, is with allocating the precious ports. So you've got Push, and a USB Audio interface... no biggie there. You can use USC-C to USB adapter for both. But be sure to think about other plans... do you need (want) ethernet connection? Or to do File Sharing etc., and take advantage of the 40GBPS throughput of TB3? How many external monitors do you plan to eventually connect? For example... USB 3.1ss+ does not support Displayport/Minidisplay port monitor connections. Similarly, if you want to use HDMI, or an actual TB2/3 Monitor... it gets confusing. These 2 articles are helpful, and recommend having an expansion game plan so you'll have it working and minimize dongle spaghetti and expense. Oh, also power requirements and TB3 cables are confusing (how much power/throughput do you want on those ports... up to 100W and 40 GB is possible, so you can charge the MBP via the TB3 ports...(tho I'm pretty sure Apple's power is only about 67W).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

• @teleb said:

@rumorazzi said:

@teleb said:

Wow, refurbished directly from Apple, you get it for 1909€ here.
    Where are you from?

Italy,
    but yes, a refurbished one it’s 1949€ here too.
    I preferred a new one: 400€ cheaper and 13” fits better on my very little desk.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@rumorazzi said:

@Aud_iOS said:

-No Monitors atm.

Gotcha - I find it very confusing. USB-C is a meaningless term. In your case, yes TB3, which are also USB 3.1SS+ ports (10GB). The challenge, as you point out, is with allocating the precious ports. So you've got Push, and a USB Audio interface... no biggie there. You can use USC-C to USB adapter for both. But be sure to think about other plans... do you need (want) ethernet connection? Or to do File Sharing etc., and take advantage of the 40GBPS throughput of TB3? How many external monitors do you plan to eventually connect? For example... USB 3.1ss+ does not support Displayport/Minidisplay port monitor connections. Similarly, if you want to use HDMI, or an actual TB2/3 Monitor... it gets confusing. These 2 articles are helpful, and recommend having an expansion game plan so you'll have it working and minimize dongle spaghetti and expense. Oh, also power requirements and TB3 cables are confusing (how much power/throughput do you want on those ports... up to 100W and 40 GB is possible, so you can charge the MBP via the TB3 ports...(tho I'm pretty sure Apple's power is only about 67W).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

Probably in the future I will like to add a monitor.

• I am very happy with my thunderbolt dock by OWC, I believe they also make a USB-c version... . All plug and play, with lots of ports. Be careful, though, there are some (cheaper) products by other manufacturers, that are not as stable. OWC get the best notes here. Do some research, if you‘re interested. Cheers, t . By the way, I also have a 13“ Macbook Pro (older gen), because it‘s nice and small! Best feature, IMHO.