Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ipad suggestions??? stepping up from Air 1 this christmas

I’m looking to upgrade my ipad from an Air 1. currently my 32 gb is has 24gb worth of instruments and effects on it. some apps get really crackling like drumperfect pro, and syntronik if i have all the tracks going.
I’m not looking for anything crazy. just looking for better performance. i’m looking at the air 2 or 5th generation. any body have any these models?

Comments

• I’d say get the first gen iPad Pro 9.7””: it has the same RAM as the Air 2 and the iPad 5 but it’s noticeably faster, plus you may find it at much better prices than the latest Pro.

• @theconnactic said:
    I’d say get the first gen iPad Pro 9.7””: it has the same RAM as the Air 2 and the iPad 5 but it’s noticeably faster, plus you may find it at much better prices than the latest Pro.

That's smart. Shit now you have me thinking about it.

• I was using an iPad 3 and an Air 1 in my live set-up. Now the 3 is retired to domestic use, and I have my Air and a nice big 12.9 Pro. The Pro is fabulous. Yes, a bit pricey, but fast and also a business expense for this pro musician. :smiley:

• oh yeah 9.7 pro? i thought they where only
    10 and 13” i’ll ha e to look into that one

• I have the 9.7 pro (aka 2016 I think) it’s fantastic. no weird crackles, everything feels optimized to this version for some reason. I like the idea of the 13 but I held it and i knew I would break it some how lol. +1

• edited November 2017

Ipad 5 is an awesome deal to me. I went from an Air1 and the performance boost was huge. Using BM3 I am rarely up to even 70% cpu. Switching apps or emergency reboots are all awesomely fast.

I just do the math on the price. If 30% more price equals 30% more power (or greater) then sure, worth it. In the case of the ipad 5 when I bought it the performance, as near as I could tell, did not seem to go up linearly with the price of the higher end models. Only storage seemed to be linear-ish in that 256gig was just a tad more than double the price of 128gig. But dayum, $600 more for a bigger mess on an os with horridly terrible file management? Pass.

I don’t want to spend more than $550 cad on a tablet ever again. I always avoid used too. Not saying anyone else should. But yah, the 5 has me very happy, it was bought with some saved up birthday money and relatively painlessly squirrelled away allowance. Psychologicaly almost free. Close to a grand and my expectations of ios11 would have been overinflated.

• I got a Pro 12.9" 128gb with 4G in March for £470 on ebay with a years warranty. With a logitech keyboard for £45 on ebay it has now totally replaced my laptop and I don't envisage ever getting another, it's just a joy to use, really fast and I've had no issues with apps failing, even when I really stack them. Mine was a damn good deal but you should get one for £500 - 550 with at least 128gb and probably 4G, with 12 months warranty. Even Argos do them at close to that price on their ebay site now and again.

• @eross said:
    oh yeah 9.7 pro? i thought they where only
    10 and 13” i’ll ha e to look into that one

9.7 isn't in the current line up but you should be able to find one somewhere.

I love mine, it's going to survive for a while yet.

Sure, you can get a spangly new model but it's a bit like buying a new car versus a 3 year old one. You can pay for a new shiny feeling or you can get someone else to wear the depreciation for you and get something that will do the job.

• I just got the 2017 Pro 12.9” to complement my Air2. The big screen is amazing. I’m not blown away by the performance difference yet though. It’s fast, but it doesn’t “feel” as much faster than an Air2 as the benchmarks seem to suggest in actual use.

Dat screen though...

• edited November 2017

I bought the 10.5 last month. It's a beast. It can handle any combination of apps and all effects on in Auria pro without crackling even once. I will wait until 2019 for a 12.9 I think cause it seems the ipads will be equipped with the latest Oled screens used on iphone 8 lineup. It's gonna be gorgeous to behold I am sure.

I was coming from an iPad 2 and the performance differences are huge.

If you intend to play and record live with app keyboards besides, the 120hz refresh rate comes in handy. It's smooth as hell.

• edited November 2017

If you're on a strict budget, then the 9.7 pro will make you happy, but if you have the money, then the 10.5 or 12.9 pro will make you even happier.

With black friday right around the corner, you should be able to get a decent deal on the newest Pro models.

There are a number of improvements, compared to the 9.7 Pro.

This is all from memory, so if any item here is incorrect, then please correct.

(1) Ultra smooth 120 Hz display. Great for games, if somebody is into that. It's great for anything really, because the display will adjust the Hz depending on what's happening on the screen. I currently enjoy playing World of Tanks Blitz at 120 FPS. I can't even do that on my desktop, as I'd need a gaming monitor and a more powerful Mac with a hefty graphics card.

(2) Brighter display and better oleophobic coating I believe and a much better anti-reflective coating. I was actually using my 10.5 Pro outside a few times this summer when it was sunny, and that would have basically been near impossible with any previous iPad, and I've owned quite a few previous models.

(3) 4 GB RAM vs 2. Speaks for itself.

(4) Better, faster CPU and GPU.

(5) Smaller Bezels on the 10.5, not on the 12.9 yet.

(6) Better camera. Same as iPhone 7 I believe. This only matters to somebody if somebody takes pictures with their iPad. I do sometimes. It's the best camera I currently have. My iPhone is an SE, which I'm very happy with, but the 10.5 Pro camera blows away the iPhone SE camera.

(7) 2nd gen Touch ID. This is only a minor thing I guess, but it is much faster than the previous gen, it's almost instantaneous.

(8) Faster charging if you use the additional Apple 29 Watt charger and USB C to lightning cable. Some apps eat up a lot of battery power, and a little bit quicker charging could come in handy if somebody is doing some heavy duty music making on their iPad or using it for other tasks that eat the battery.

• I got the iPad 2017 this year in May. But if I had a new choice today I would go with the first iPad Pro 9.7 with 128 GB. It's just st about €100 more.