Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Gadget Vancouver Dance Party │ iPad Studio Jam session - haQ attaQ

Everything sounds better with modulation! I absolutely love KORG Gadget Vancouver! It's a sampler Gadget that we've needed for a long time. And I don't plan on wasting any time now that it's finally here. I wanted to see what I could do with ten instances of Vancouver and so far so good it seems.

haQattaQ

Comments

• Really cool, it never struck me that you could automate it by simply dragging around start/stop/loop on the actual waveform display. Thank you, I learned something new today!

I love this gadget as well. I made a few pretty dang good lush and cinematic pads the other day, using a tiny triangle sample and a tambourine sample in the 2nd slot. Typically not really samples used for making chromatic, playable sounds. The sub oscillator gave an extra hand as well though. Experiment with different sound sources, even a fart might turn into a beautiful lush and bubbly crescendo thing. Make use of all the tools in there, start & end points, the loop point, reverse and so on. Get the pitch somewhat right if you're aiming for a playable patch. Use the sub osc to taste, remember that it's tied to osc 2. The Apollo shimmer/reverb will add texture to your pads.
    Obviously any looping going on will loop slower on lower notes and faster on higher notes, use this as a tool. IE you might have a soft piano note looping in reverse as oscillator 1 while the rest forms a pad sound. Playing this using chords will prolly sound dope af!-:) Anyway over & out

• Regarding 'Automation', the knobs on the nanoKEY Studio are a blast :)

I saw a video of 'scratching' on the Electribe 2 a while ago...

Then it struck me, I can use the Wolfsburg Gadget with some noise and it's bandpass filter to do the same :D

• R_2R_2
    edited November 2017

Needs more DeeMax! JK, funky track.
    But seriously, will you do a vid on DeeMax and Lisbon?
    Edit: nevermind, just saw your comment on YouTube about DeeMax and Lisbon on to do list

• @Samu said:
    Regarding 'Automation', the knobs on the nanoKEY Studio are a blast :)

I saw a video of 'scratching' on the Electribe 2 a while ago...

Then it struck me, I can use the Wolfsburg Gadget with some noise and it's bandpass filter to do the same :D

Ohh me likey. How does he do that? Would love to do something like that on my synth/sampler apps.

• wimwim
    edited November 2017

Dammit. This video just cost me 10 bucks and caused me to break the "new gadget" fast I was so proud of maintaining after finally kicking the habit with MonoPoly.

Oh well. Still not tempted by Montpellier, Deemax and whatever the dumbass virtual reality goggles thingy is. Maybe I've not relapsed completely into addiction. Yet.

Thanks for the great video though @jakoB_haQ. Well done as always!

• @ipadthai said:

Ohh me likey. How does he do that? Would love to do something like that on my synth/sampler apps.

As long as the synth has a noise waveform and a resonant band-pass filter you should be able to replicate it.
    Just trigger the noise pulses with the keys and tweak the cutoff.

I do admit that the dude in the video has pretty fast fingers :)

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    Everything sounds better with modulation! I absolutely love KORG Gadget Vancouver! It's a sampler Gadget that we've needed for a long time. And I don't plan on wasting any time now that it's finally here. I wanted to see what I could do with ten instances of Vancouver and so far so good it seems.

haQattaQ

Hmmm...that tenner in my wallet is straining to be spent after watching this. The automation really brings it alive.

• Quite OT question but is there an automation for deemax implemented?

• @MAtrixplan said:
    Quite OT question but is there an automation for deemax implemented?

Just tried, none of the parameters on the 'Master Bus' in Gadget can be automated...

• I'm really liking this. Sure, everything that you can do here, and more, can be done in BM3's sampler, but this is just so ... accessible? It's a lot of fun. I find myself stumbling onto great sounds that I wouldn't have created elsewhere just because it's so easy to mess around. It's also feeling like good exploration for meatier things to do in BM3.

Done right, stripping something down to just the right combination of features, is a beautiful thing. They got this one right IMO.

• @Samu said:

@ipadthai said:

As long as the synth has a noise waveform and a resonant band-pass filter you should be able to replicate it.
    Just trigger the noise pulses with the keys and tweak the cutoff.

I do admit that the dude in the video has pretty fast fingers :)

It's a pretty cool effect, but also needs pitch bend to really sound like scratching. An actual sample instead of white noise would help too. But very cool for what it is.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

It's a pretty cool effect, but also needs pitch bend to really sound like scratching. An actual sample instead of white noise would help too. But very cool for what it is.

Yeah, the challenge here is to find an app that allows proper 'scrubbing' of a sample so it would play back in reverse when 'speed' goes bellow zero a kind of 'play head direction control'. Pitch-Bend would be perfect for this.

When the pitch-bend is at 0 the sample would 'stop' and the +/- would play forward/reverse at various speeds depending on the pitch-wheel position. (This is something I've ventilated with the BM3 developers).

The dude in the video simulates pitch by triggering the noise at different pitches :)

• @wim said:
    I'm really liking this. Sure, everything that you can do here, and more, can be done in BM3's sampler, but this is just so ... accessible? It's a lot of fun. I find myself stumbling onto great sounds that I wouldn't have created elsewhere just because it's so easy to mess around. It's also feeling like good exploration for meatier things to do in BM3.

Done right, stripping something down to just the right combination of features, is a beautiful thing. They got this one right IMO.

I was wondering if I really needed this, having BM3 as well...but the thought of diving back into that one makes me think it’d be worth spending a tenner for the Korg’s ease of use instead.

• wimwim
    edited November 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:
    I'm really liking this. Sure, everything that you can do here, and more, can be done in BM3's sampler, but this is just so ... accessible? It's a lot of fun. I find myself stumbling onto great sounds that I wouldn't have created elsewhere just because it's so easy to mess around. It's also feeling like good exploration for meatier things to do in BM3.

I was wondering if I really needed this, having BM3 as well...but the thought of diving back into that one makes me think it’d be worth spending a tenner for the Korg’s ease of use instead.

Got an iPhone? If so there's another good reason to get it since we may all be too old to care by the time BM3 is on the phone.

• @wim said:
    I'm really liking this. Sure, everything that you can do here, and more, can be done in BM3's sampler, but this is just so ... accessible?

Currently BM3 does NOT have any way to automate & record sample start, end and the loop of the sample so Vancouver has the edge for now. I don't know of any other sample-player on iOS where these parameters can be automated... (Excluding Sunvox but even that has it's limitations for automating loop modification on the fly).

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

Got an iPhone? If so there's another good reason to get it since we may all be too old to care by the time BM3 is on the phone.

Yeah....is there a way to sample into the new Gadget, say via the mic, or is it just a file import thing? If I could grab stuff via the mic it’d turn Gadget into a deluxe version of Samplebot.

• @MonzoPro said:

Yeah....is there a way to sample into the new Gadget, say via the mic, or is it just a file import thing? If I could grab stuff via the mic it’d turn Gadget into a deluxe version of Samplebot.

Only way is to use either Audio Share or AudioCopy to do the recording.

If you need to do editing of the recordings AudioCopy still has the edge in that department, hurts to say that.
    Gadget also recommends AudioCopy for the actual sampling...

• @Samu said:

@MonzoPro said:

If you need to do editing of the recordings AudioCopy still has the edge in that department, hurts to say that.

Thanks Samu.

• @Samu said:

@MonzoPro said:

I HATE AudioCopy, I really prefer NOT to have it on my device - what are the benefits over AudioShare with editing?

• @Peter321 said:

I HATE AudioCopy, I really prefer NOT to have it on my device - what are the benefits over AudioShare with editing?

I'm not a super fan of it either that's for sure.

AudioCopy's Sample Editor has more features than the one in AudioShare for now.

I do NOT like the zoom in AudioShare when it's time to do precise trimming fade In/Outs and things like that.
    (Now I do most of my sampling & sample-editing in BM3 anyway).

Also AudioCopy is 'Free' compared to AudioShare and that's something many seem to prefer/like at least in the beginning and also serves as a source for sounds for those who prefer to use 'pre-cooked content' and sound like everyone else.

AudioCopy was supposed to get a new update to AudioCopy 4 but we've still not seen anything 'new' from the company in questions. I mean September was supposed to be a month to remember and I'll remember it as 'nothing was released' ;)

For me personally I hope apps will totally skip the 3rd party solutions (Be It AudioShare or AudioCopy) for sharing files and do it the iOS way with proper Files.app integration. If that's too much to ask at least a 'Share Sheet' / 'Open In...' for export would be good enough and accepting supported files-typens when sent to the app using 'Open In...'.