Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 audio questions

Posted at intua forum but posting here as well...

*How do you move audio recorded on an audio track to the browser or to a pad on another track? I'd like to resample from a track, then load the audio back onto that track.

*Is there a quick way to copy one pad to another?

Feature request - please add pitch as an automation parameter.

Comments

• All audio recorded in a session is in the 'session folder'. You can drag the file from there to any pad.
    Copy & Paste of pads can be done with 3 vertical dots menu in the pad editor.

There is no limit as to how long samples a pad can hold and the pads have pitch as a parameter that can be automated if needed.

If you have more requests head over to the Intua forum and post them there :)

• I do all audio with pads in banks. Pitch automation works well for me.

Once I ignored 'audio tracks' and 'Scenes', sticking only to sampler/mixer/song/pattern BM3 clicked for me.

typically the first pad in a bank will be an audio file of several bars with the other pads being selected subsections of this audio file. There is a bit of jumping around with this method but more editing/routing/fx power with each slice/pad I would not get in a regular iOS/daw/timeline paradigm.

• edited November 2017

@AudioGus said:
    I do all audio with pads in banks. Pitch automation works well for me.

Once I ignored 'audio tracks' and 'Scenes', sticking only to sampler/mixer/song/pattern BM3 clicked for me.

typically the first pad in a bank will be an audio file of several bars with the other pads being selected subsections of this audio file. There is a bit of jumping around with this method but more editing/routing/fx power with each slice/pad I would not get in a regular iOS/daw/timeline paradigm.

Expecting extensive tutorial videos from you and Samu...please :)

• @Arpseechord said:

Others do it far better than me...
    BM3 is best 'learned' by actually using and exploring it rather than watching videos ;)
    There's already quite a bunch of videos on BM3 out there and more will come.

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

BM3 is best 'learned' by actually using and exploring it rather than watching videos ;)

Thanks for the advice, I know I need to explore much more to understand BM3 better
    Yes sometimes when watching a video One can get easily lost :)

• @AudioGus said:

Hey gus interesting workflow re the audio. Will try that. Have you used vocals at all. And if so have you been using the same method you’ve described? Seems a bit more work rather than the old timeline method ?

• @Arpseechord said:

Thanks for the advice, I know I need to explore much more to understand BM3 better

Yepp, I think the best way to assists everyone is to get a fairly detailed question rather than a 'overly generic' one.
    (The app is quite deep and the same things can be accomplished in many different ways).

I'm mainly focusing on sampling & sample-editing when it comes to BM3 and those areas take focus when I'm tracking down bugs (Currently digging Thru BM3 3.0.6 Beta 3) while doing that I usually bump into issues with other areas of the app as well. Sometimes I 'nerd in' into creating some instruments with the samples...

I think the best way to get effective help is to have a fairly straight forward "How do I?" questions like the original poster.

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

Yepp, I think the best way to assists everyone is to get a fairly detailed question rather than a 'overly generic' one.
    (The app is quite deep and the same things can be accomplished in many different ways).

I'm mainly focusing on sampling & sample-editing when it comes to BM3 and those areas take focus when I'm tracking down bugs (Currently digging Thru BM3 3.0.6 Beta 3) while doing that I usually bump into issues with other areas of the app as well. Sometimes I 'nerd in' into creating some instruments with the samples...

I think the best way to get effective help is to have a fairly straight forward "How do I?" questions like the original poster.

Agree!
    Sampling is what I’ve been doing mostly
    On another note a new IOS software update has just landed, oh boy

• edited November 2017

@Arpseechord said:

If you mean iOS11.1.2 I just installed it this morning ;)

Only thing that went haywire was Gadget's import from AudioShare, it now launches Pulse from Pulsecode Inc.
    (Can be solved by deleting Pulse but it goes to show Apple is loosing it when it comes to quality assurance).

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

If you mean iOS11.1.2 I just installed it this morning ;)

Only thing that went haywire was Gadget's import from AudioShare, it now launches Pulse from Pulsecode Inc.
    (Can be solved by deleting Pulse but it goes to show Apple is loosing it when it comes to quality assurance).

Yup that’s the update and as a bonus I have Pulse too :D
    That’s an interesting launch sequence..can’t wait to see for myself lol

• @Arpseechord said:

LOL, This has plagued AudioCopy too in the past too :D

This is gives me yet another reason to promote the usage of Files.app and DocumentPicker for all things related to Import & Export. This 'solution' would work way back to iOS8 times but be a lot smoother on iOS11 and no 3rd party SDKs would be needed...

• @triton100 said:

@AudioGus said:

Hey gus interesting workflow re the audio. Will try that. Have you used vocals at all. And if so have you been using the same method you’ve described? Seems a bit more work rather than the old timeline method ?

yah, for natural, nuanced vocals requiring a lot of editing/repair/enhancing using trimming/cross fades, time stretch, pitch shift etc etc, on iOS my instinct would be to use a traditional timeline daw then just export the baked goods directly into BM3 for more ordered slicing/triggering on pads. For a pretty good singer (certainly not me) who can mostly nail it then BM3 could work ok. But yah, a desktop daw/mouse/keyboard with additional screens wins for most major surgeries. For more abstract or rhythmic vocal fx fun BM3 is great, I love messing with samples of vocals, chants, olde timey scifi clips etc.

As much as I rave about BM3 what I do in four hours would take less than an hour in a PC Daw. However being able to easily use BM3 on the commute, the couch or the 'facilities' simply accumulates better than limiting myself to when I can sit at a desk staring at a computer monitor at home. I get enough of that at work. At least now with BM3 (filling it up with sample libraries, using Zeeon, Egoist etc and recording VSTs) the results I am getting on iOS do not feel like throwaway anymore.

• edited November 2017

@Arpseechord said:

@AudioGus said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

Hehe, I imagine mine would be like 'if you are me and like this music and want to make it this way then this is the video for you' at which point 90% of viewers drop off.

Most things I do in BM3 feel like weirdo hacks but it really empowers weirdo hacks, (like me) :)

• @AudioGus said:

Most things I do in BM3 feel like weirdo hacks but it really empowers weirdo hacks, (like me) :)

I am a weirdo, I mean take two single cycle saw waves put them on two separate layers, add phase-invert as layer effect one layer and detune it and well... It's like that... :D

Regarding the beloved 'dotted lines' one doesn't have to use the arrows, just pick one of the selected notes and move them around ;) (The 'note drawing' is still a bit 'senile' it forgets the length of the last drawn note but that will be fixed). The 'contrast' in the note-editor is also improved among other smaller fixes.

• This a silly question but how do you record automation in BM3?

I never did that for some reason.

Is there a secondary record button or it just does it?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    This a silly question but how do you record automation in BM3?

Enable the A (next to the stop button) to enable automation recording.
    (Q = Quantise, A = Automation).

• @Samu said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    This a silly question but how do you record automation in BM3?

Enable the A (next to the stop button) to enable automation recording.
    (Q = Quantise, A = Automation).

Thanks man.

Did you buy any packs for BM3?

I am happy with all so far.

The only ones I didn't get were the piano and the other keys that I already have from UVI.

Later!

• @RUST( i )K said:

Thanks man.

You're welcome...

Did you buy any packs for BM3?

I was on the beta for BM3 and well, it was quite 'rewarding' when it comes to sound packs...
    (The next update to BM3 (3.0.6) is currently in Beta 3 and I'm not slowing down in the 'bug hunt')

I don't have any of the packs installed but I have loaded a bunch of other samples, mainly ROM dumps from Electribe 2 Sampler, Electribe ES-1, Volca Sample, Adventure Kid Single Cycle waves and a bunch of others...

When more sounds are needed I can always sample any of the apps I have on my iPad or use the as 'plug-ins' on the pads.

It's quite funny that Gadget beat BM3 when it comes to automating sample-start & loop-points :)

• edited November 2017

Thanks @Samu . Copying samples while saving session was the key. Pitch is obviously exposed in the sampler but the only place I’m seeing where you can automate is inside a pattern and I don’t see pitch in there. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

Just @Samu ‘s response to @RUST( i )K ‘s question. Maybe by automation you meant arming and wiggling a GUI button. I meant line node automation inside a pattern.

• edited November 2017

@ecamburn said:
    Thanks @Samu . Copying samples while saving session was the key. Pitch is obviously exposed in the sampler but the only place I’m seeing where you can automate is inside a pattern and I don’t see pitch in there. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

The 'work-around trick' here is to create a long pattern and trigger the pad with the audio-file.
    After that you can go into 'pattern automation', tap the (+), browse to the 'Pad' and the 'Layer' containing the sample and selecting 'Tune' as the parameter you wish to automate. After that you can draw the automation.

You can also 'record' the pitch automation if you wish by enabling (A) automation recording in the transport bar and tweaking the 'Tune' knob while recording.

I know it's a mouthful and some day I hope we'll get more rapid access to automation parameters :)

If you wan't to change the pitch without affecting speed, enable 'stretch' in the pad/sample-edit page.

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

I am a weirdo, I mean take two single cycle saw waves put them on two separate layers, add phase-invert as layer effect one layer and detune it and well... It's like that... :D

Regarding the beloved 'dotted lines' one doesn't have to use the arrows, just pick one of the selected notes and move them around ;) (The 'note drawing' is still a bit 'senile' it forgets the length of the last drawn note but that will be fixed). The 'contrast' in the note-editor is also improved among other smaller fixes.

I just found the notes got super small when I zoomed out and it was tricky. If they made the whole bounding
    box of a selection of notes moveable I would be happier. I really really hope the next update is better.

• @AudioGus said:

@Arpseechord said:

@AudioGus said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

Hehe, I imagine mine would be like 'if you are me and like this music and want to make it this way then this is the video for you' at which point 90% of viewers drop off.

Ha lol, there might be a larger target market than you think!
    Weirdos unite B)

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

This is gives me yet another reason to promote the usage of Files.app and DocumentPicker for all things related to Import & Export. This 'solution' would work way back to iOS8 times but be a lot smoother on iOS11 and no 3rd party SDKs would be needed...

Like your solution for exporting and importing with Files app and DocumentPicker. It could solve many issues.
    On another note I downloaded ios 11.1.2 and when I went to install it a pop up came saying the update wasn’t available at this time. There’s still a red 1 in settings on my iPad next to software update. It also says my iPad is up to date at ios 11.1.1? Weird lol

• Ok, I'm stumped. I want to sample animoog onto a pad in BM3, using animoog keyboard to generate the sound. How? I've tried as IAA and AudioBus and can't figure it...

• @Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

Like your solution for exporting and importing with Files app and DocumentPicker. It could solve many issues.
    On another note I downloaded ios 11.1.2 and when I went to install it a pop up came saying the update wasn’t available at this time. There’s still a red 1 in settings on my iPad next to software update. It also says my iPad is up to date at ios 11.1.1? Weird lol

Cold be that Aple found some bugs in iOS11.1.2 and pulled it?

• edited November 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Ok, I'm stumped. I want to sample animoog onto a pad in BM3, using animoog keyboard to generate the sound. How? I've tried as IAA and AudioBus and can't figure it...

Load animoog as an IAA to a pad(launch animoog first if it bugs). Then go to the keyboard/sample rec page by selecting "show plugin" on animoog(sampler page -> plugin -> those 3 dots on right side and click show plugin). Now you have the keyboard/sample rec page on, so select to which pads you want to sample to, arm rec and go to animoog to play with its keyboard.

• edited November 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Ok, I'm stumped. I want to sample animoog onto a pad in BM3, using animoog keyboard to generate the sound. How? I've tried as IAA and AudioBus and can't figure it...

This is actually quite easy to be honest (You'll see).

Once you've loaded AniMoog as IAA Plug-In (to a pad in BM3) tap on it's icon to bring up the Plug-In Keyboard (See the attached picture).

Select a 'destination pad' where the sample will be stored (I selected <2>)(It's smart to select another pad than the one hosting the plug-in) and set the threshold to -60 this way BM3 will wait for input before starting to 'sample'.

Press 'Start' then Tap the Animoog icon to switch to AniMoog & play the keyboard (BM3 will start sampling in the background). Once you're done tap the BM3 icon in the IAA Transport Panel to switch back to BM3 and stop the sampling.

Your sample will be on the pad you selected prior to sampling. If you need more samples the 'next' recording will end up on the following pad (if you selected 'Move to Next Pad') if not the samples will be 'layered'.
    Repeat for as many samples as you need.

Hope you'll get it to work!

• @Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Samu said:

@Arpseechord said:

Cold be that Aple found some bugs in iOS11.1.2 and pulled it?

The update came back hours later, I downloaded and installed it successfully...now wait and see what’s next lol

• @Samu said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Once you've loaded AniMoog as IAA Plug-In (to a pad in BM3) tap on it's icon to bring up the Plug-In Keyboard (See the attached picture).

Select a 'destination pad' where the sample will be stored (I selected <2>)(It's smart to select another pad than the one hosting the plug-in) and set the threshold to -60 this way BM3 will wait for input before starting to 'sample'.

Press 'Start' then Tap the Animoog icon to switch to AniMoog & play the keyboard (BM3 will start sampling in the background). Once you're done tap the BM3 icon in the IAA Transport Panel to switch back to BM3 and stop the sampling.

Your sample will be on the pad you selected prior to sampling. If you need more samples the 'next' recording will end up on the following pad (if you selected 'Move to Next Pad') if not the samples will be 'layered'.

Thank you Big Sam!

Somertimes a blow by blow don’t talk just follow these instructions and all will be well is just what is needed. Finally get it. Thanks again.

• @Samu said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Thanks for this Samu, this helps clear up some things for me, much appreciated!