Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New midi app. Chordbud.

124»

Comments

• @cuscolima said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Hey everyone, new version 1.1.1 released!
    ChordBud's editor is more powerful now.

• Added history. You can undo/redo things up to 10 steps.
    • You can edit multiple inputs now. Just hold your finger for a second on the timetable for the drag-to-select tool and select the inputs you want to edit. You can move/resize/delete them.
    • You can set the sequencer's duration with the new arrow on the timetable's measure. It was auto set to the longest track's duration before.
    • You can change the octave of the inputs individually. Just long press any input and select the octave option from the menu.
    • Navigation bar buttons are more sensitive and have more room for better interaction.
    • Also other little fixes and improvements I may forget the mention about.

Here is a quick little preview gif:

Hope it will work well for you.
    Let me know any funny behaviors or any other improvement ideas!

The app is crashing when changing the input mode from “chords” to “notes”... very annoying (ipad pro 2017, last ios)

I think the app has potential, I hope this issue will quickly be solves

Hi, thanks! Yeah, it was a bug on v1.1.0 and fixed in 1.1.1.
    It released a couple of hours ago, it might take a while to hit to appstore.

• Great work Cem. A lot of great stuff in here.

Anyone using this with Link? Does it behave as expected?

• Good question, tried to record into Groove Rider with it but the sync is out.

• @cem_olcay said:

@cuscolima said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Hey everyone, new version 1.1.1 released!
    ChordBud's editor is more powerful now.

• Added history. You can undo/redo things up to 10 steps.
    • You can edit multiple inputs now. Just hold your finger for a second on the timetable for the drag-to-select tool and select the inputs you want to edit. You can move/resize/delete them.
    • You can set the sequencer's duration with the new arrow on the timetable's measure. It was auto set to the longest track's duration before.
    • You can change the octave of the inputs individually. Just long press any input and select the octave option from the menu.
    • Navigation bar buttons are more sensitive and have more room for better interaction.
    • Also other little fixes and improvements I may forget the mention about.

Here is a quick little preview gif:

Hope it will work well for you.
    Let me know any funny behaviors or any other improvement ideas!

The app is crashing when changing the input mode from “chords” to “notes”... very annoying (ipad pro 2017, last ios)

I think the app has potential, I hope this issue will quickly be solves

Hi, thanks! Yeah, it was a bug on v1.1.0 and fixed in 1.1.1.
    It released a couple of hours ago, it might take a while to hit to appstore.

Thanks for the answer. Just updated this morning and it is working fine now. Many thanks for this and for the great support!

• @DCJ said:
    Great work Cem. A lot of great stuff in here.

Anyone using this with Link? Does it behave as expected?

I was waiting for the Live 10 release for a new trial period ¯_(ツ)_/¯
    I think they released it recently. I'm gonna fix the phase sync issue for the Link soon.

• @ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!
    Noticed the midi in port, and run FugueMachine on timeline playback :]

How are you connecting FM to ChordBud?
    Is chordbud feeding midi into fm, or vice versa?
    Are you recording the resulting midi?
    Curious to know your workflow...
    Many thanks
    J
    :)

• edited February 2018

@id_23 said:

@ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!

Many thanks
    J

Yes, well it's weird, as always:

FugueMachine has notes sending (midi out); the midi coming into FM is not for transposing the sequence or note input (which would be nice), but only for program change messages.

ChordBud has no midi input channel visible in-app in the settings, only for outputting its chord progression.

However, ChordBud in Aum is offering a midi input channel, where you could theoretically receive notes (as from FM) or the above options, transposing, pc, cc's (which would again be nice).

That said, my post was misleading, sorry. It implied sending a FM arp sequence to CB and have the chords arpeggiated, which is not doable via the CB midi input channel, that seems to be only thru.

But, ... on the timeline in ChordBud there's the start/stop button, which actually is doing the start/stop in FugueMachine too (synchronised/linked).
    So, pressing play will also start FM, and the notes from it are also passing to a receiving synth app.

The procedure can be then therefore to use an arpeggiator, f.e., with midi in, like Rozeta, and send ChordBud midi out to AUM, select 'Aum Destination' for input in Rozeta Arpeggiator, and selecting 'Rozeta Arp midi out' as input for a synth. FugueMachine could act as an alternative/additional input for the Rozeta Arp, matching scale and key, or you could, as I did in this case, set 'FM midi out' port to point to 'ChordBud In' in Aum's midi routing.

ChordBud appearing with an icon in Aum and audiobus would be nice as well :)

• @ccs2 said:

@id_23 said:

@ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!

Many thanks
    J

Yes, well it's weird, as always:

FugueMachine has notes sending (midi out); the midi coming into FM is not for transposing the sequence or note input (which would be nice), but only for program change messages.

ChordBud has no midi input channel visible in-app in the settings, only for outputting its chord progression.

However, ChordBud in Aum is offering a midi input channel, where you could theoretically receive notes (as from FM) or the above options, transposing, pc, cc's (which would again be nice).

That said, my post was misleading, sorry. It implied sending a FM arp sequence to CB and have the chords arpeggiated, which is not doable via the CB midi input channel, that seems to be only thru.

But, ... on the timeline in ChordBud there's the start/stop button, which actually is doing the start/stop in FugueMachine too (synchronised/linked).
    So, pressing play will also start FM, and the notes from it are also passing to a receiving synth app.

The procedure can be then therefore to use an arpeggiator, f.e., with midi in, like Rozeta, and send ChordBud midi out to AUM, select 'Aum Destination' for input in Rozeta Arpeggiator, and selecting 'Rozeta Arp midi out' as input for a synth. FugueMachine could act as an alternative/additional input for the Rozeta Arp, matching scale and key, or you could, as I did in this case, set 'FM midi out' port to point to 'ChordBud In' in Aum's midi routing.

ChordBud appearing with an icon in Aum and audiobus would be nice as well :)

Thanks for this useful info.... I will go and digest, slowly!
    Midi gives me cold sweats sometimes!
    :smiley:

• Hey @cem_olcay
    Been having issues with midi export. The message shows that it's done, but then I can't open anywhere else... :neutral:

• Hi @cem_olcay, I'm a huge fan of harmony and would love to use your app to experiment with composition. Would you mind answering: Can you change the bass note (inversions)? Additionally, can I change the bass note to anything I want? (ex. E triad with an A bass.) Lastly, can I make custom voicings that resist common denominations? (ex from low to high: E Bb D# A -- maybe this could be called an E dim Maj11 without the b3rd (and 9th))

Thanks!!

• @senhorlampada said:
    Hey @cem_olcay
    Been having issues with midi export. The message shows that it's done, but then I can't open anywhere else... :neutral:

Yes, I’ll make an update soon, I’ve been very busy with developing StepBud last couple of months :smile:

@cnsg_music said:
    Hi @cem_olcay, I'm a huge fan of harmony and would love to use your app to experiment with composition. Would you mind answering: Can you change the bass note (inversions)? Additionally, can I change the bass note to anything I want? (ex. E triad with an A bass.) Lastly, can I make custom voicings that resist common denominations? (ex from low to high: E Bb D# A -- maybe this could be called an E dim Maj11 without the b3rd (and 9th))

Thanks!!

Yup, you have inversions as well as extended chords like 7th/9th/11th/13th chords. Also you can work with modal interchange style, multiple-scale chord table which would help you exploring new harmony possibilities :smile:

• I thought step bud already did chords? Curious to see how they differ, haven't had ⏰time to read all this yet

• @reasOne said:
    I thought step bud already did chords? Curious to see how they differ, haven't had ⏰time to read all this yet

Yeah ChordBud is my app from almost 2 years ago. It’s specialized for chord progressions and a helper tool for composers. Have ton of scales you can work with. Also, it has a garageband-esq look and workflow.

• @cem_olcay said:

@senhorlampada said:
    Hey @cem_olcay

Yes, I’ll make an update soon, I’ve been very busy with developing StepBud last couple of months :smile:

:lol: Thanks. I thought it was some mistake I was doing :lol:
    With no urgency at all, I also sent you an email regarding some improvements I considered.

btw, awesome work with all your apps :wink:

• @reasOne said:
    I thought step bud already did chords? Curious to see how they differ, haven't had ⏰time to read all this yet

If i'm not wrong... :smiley: Chordbud would be the chord tool for song. But stepbud would work with chords more pattern-wise

• Does anyone have any issues with syncing chordbud with ableton link? Mine seems to be off. I would be nice to have transport listening in the app

• MINI-RANT: I really think it's better to just art a new thread... these headlines from the grave are true fake news. On a recent one @Michael was asked and he edited the title. It had one of those "Amazing App from 2018 is NOW on sale for 50% off" and of course, someone wanted to ask a little question about usage.

If the headline has a freshness date older than 1 month... start a new related thread and post a link to the historical record if you feel like it.

• Hey @cem_olcay will ChordBud and ArpBud ever go AUv3? I seem to remember that being mentioned in this forum somewhere awhile back....

• They won't in the near future -- But, I'll start working on a new, very cool app soon that I'll probably call "ArpBud 2". I have this idea in my mind for a while but haven't finished my thoughts yet.

ChordBud is one of my favorite apps, for AUv3 you can actually mix ScaleBud and StepBud get a similar experience.
    ArpBud though is a very unique app and I might consider an audio unit plugin in the future, according to requests.

• Another hack is using ChordBud or ArpBud in "split-view" mode. I recorded a quick video here:

• Awesome. Thanks for the idea, and the video. I look forward to ArpBud 2. Cheers

• @cem_olcay said:
    Another hack is using ChordBud or ArpBud in "split-view" mode.

Why didn’t I think of that? Good tip.. thank you..

• slysly
    edited April 2020

Guys, does your Midi export in ARPbud works as intended? Mine seems to not export the midi in a proper way. Gate time is for sure ignored. I recorded this through midi out and the results are different.