Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New midi app. Chordbud.

Comments

• @Tim said:
    Is there any chance of a step by step tutorial for this? I'm having a few problems, listed below, which are baffling me, especially since others here seem to be having no trouble getting it to work.
    (I'm on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 11.1.1 and an iPhone 6S ditto, both working fine with other apps.)

So here are the problems I've had (the first one being the most serious since
    I can't get any sound out of it. I've set up the MIDI out channel on Chordbud and the MIDI in channel on the intended receiving app in the obvious way - using a range of apps in case that would make any difference (most recently FM4 and SynthMaster Player), with no audible results.
    No playhead indicator and no way to even send the invisible playhead back to zero.
    The edit/play button seems to appear only occasionally (and when it does appear, it still doesn't make any difference).
    The 'Chord Progression' section, which appears both independently at the top level of the app and again inside Settings, also doesn't produce any sounds (though it appears to have a Play button - which much of the time doesn't respond to touch).
    No detailed user guide. The in-app tutorial would be sufficient if everything worked as expected, but since it doesn't, it isn't: I assume I am missing some basic point but having explored, I think, every corner of the app, I can't work out what it is.

A solution would be fantastic (as would a step-by-step video). Thanks a lot! :)

I think most of the problems you are encountering are being caused by a faulty Midi hookup. If you don't have the app connected to a Midi receiving app, then nothing in the ChordBud app will seem like it is working. I also have trouble connecting the Midi out from ChordBud and have experienced no sound when I thought I had hooked things up correctly. My best results came from connecting ChordBud to Audiobus 3 Midi in and putting an AU app in the Midi out of Audiobus 3. If you can, try that and see if all of the problems you are having with no sound go away.
    If you are able to test this, I would be interested to hear of your results.

• Like this, bought this. Cool developer.

• @cemolcay MIDI out is no longer working for me, also I’m getting sound out of the app with no other apps running!

• @CracklePot said:

@Tim said:
    Is there any chance of a step by step tutorial for this? I'm having a few problems, listed below, which are baffling me, especially since others here seem to be having no trouble getting it to work.
    (I'm on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 11.1.1 and an iPhone 6S ditto, both working fine with other apps.)

I can't get any sound out of it. I've set up the MIDI out channel on Chordbud and the MIDI in channel on the intended receiving app in the obvious way - using a range of apps in case that would make any difference (most recently FM4 and SynthMaster Player), with no audible results.
    No playhead indicator and no way to even send the invisible playhead back to zero.
    The edit/play button seems to appear only occasionally (and when it does appear, it still doesn't make any difference).
    The 'Chord Progression' section, which appears both independently at the top level of the app and again inside Settings, also doesn't produce any sounds (though it appears to have a Play button - which much of the time doesn't respond to touch).
    No detailed user guide. The in-app tutorial would be sufficient if everything worked as expected, but since it doesn't, it isn't: I assume I am missing some basic point but having explored, I think, every corner of the app, I can't work out what it is.

I think most of the problems you are encountering are being caused by a faulty Midi hookup. If you don't have the app connected to a Midi receiving app, then nothing in the ChordBud app will seem like it is working. I also have trouble connecting the Midi out from ChordBud and have experienced no sound when I thought I had hooked things up correctly. My best results came from connecting ChordBud to Audiobus 3 Midi in and putting an AU app in the Midi out of Audiobus 3. If you can, try that and see if all of the problems you are having with no sound go away.

@CracklePot Thanks for the response & suggestions! The latest here is that following the update I managed to get some sound out of it - I forget into which MIDI receiver. (A playhead sure would be useful still...) - I don't have my iPad with me right now but I seem to remember (could be wrong) that it didn't appear in my Audiobus 3 MIDI in list previously, but maybe it will now. Will certainly try your suggestion anyway when I get a chance, I like using the Audiobus MIDI section so that would be a good solution if it works.

• @Tim said:

@CracklePot said:

@Tim said:

@CracklePot Thanks for the response & suggestions! The latest here is that following the update I managed to get some sound out of it - I forget into which MIDI receiver. (A playhead sure would be useful still...) - I don't have my iPad with me right now but I seem to remember (could be wrong) that it didn't appear in my Audiobus 3 MIDI in list previously, but maybe it will now. Will certainly try your suggestion anyway when I get a chance, I like using the Audiobus MIDI section so that would be a good solution if it works.

Yeah, I forgot that I used MidiFlow adapter to hook it up to Audiobus. From there I used MidiFlow Monitor to verify that I was getting Midi from ChordBud. Once I saw that I was indeed getting Midi, I put Kauldron in as an AU Midi receiver.

• @CracklePot said:

@Tim said:

@CracklePot said:

@Tim said:

Yeah, I forgot that I used MidiFlow adapter to hook it up to Audiobus. From there I used MidiFlow Monitor to verify that I was getting Midi from ChordBud. Once I saw that I was indeed getting Midi, I put Kauldron in as an AU Midi receiver.

Thanks for the tip! I remembered that I have my phone with me - no Kauldron, but tested with Mood and it worked perfectly. My first time using MidiAdapter I think, bought it but never tried it. Very handy solution, I can see myself using that in a lot of scenarios - didn't realise how easy it would be :smiley:

• edited November 2017

Can Chordbud generate its notes with a delay between each note for a 'strum' feel? I dont like the sound of chord generators that just play the chord all at once.

I understand why arperggiators wouldn't be the best addition, but I'd like some playing styles per chord?

Thanks

• @ltf3 said:
    Can Chordbud generate its notes with a delay between each note for a 'strum' feel? I dont like the sound of chord generators that just play the chord all at once.

I understand why arperggiators wouldn't be the best addition, but I'd like some playing styles per chord?

Thanks

It does not for now. But I got a few requests for guitar strumming like effect. I think it could be another MIDI app with Audiobus MIDI support which recieves midi from other apps, adds strumming like delays and forwards the generated output to audio apps?

• Hey! Bowie!

• @Tim said:

@CracklePot said:

@Tim said:

@CracklePot said:

@Tim said:

Thanks for the tip! I remembered that I have my phone with me - no Kauldron, but tested with Mood and it worked perfectly. My first time using MidiAdapter I think, bought it but never tried it. Very handy solution, I can see myself using that in a lot of scenarios - didn't realise how easy it would be :smiley:

I use the Adapter without even thinking about it most of the time. It makes Audiobus Midi compatibility a non-issue. Anyway, I am glad to hear you have sound being produced while figuring out ChordBud. I think this app is going to become awesome as the small kinks get ironed out. The dev is responsive and working on this app to make it better for us, so I am looking forward to the next update. :)

• @cemolcay said:

@pstone19 said:
    @cemolcay does your app have a key remapping ability from an external/internal keyboard? Ie like midiflow scales

No actually, but I could add an external midi keyboard mapping engine in the future, it is a good idea.

That sounds like the best idea ever, a bit like Suggester.

• Updated, nice!
    Noticed the midi in port, and run FugueMachine on timeline playback :]

• @ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!

Cool. Grabbing it now. Thanks for the heads up. :)

• edited November 2017

@ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!

Hey there, yup new version just released. This version, 1.0.3, adds a playhead, mute/solo buttons to tracks, and of course bug fixes and improvements. In the app store page, I added a quick preview video for iPhone and iPad.
    Also, last version before that, 1.0.2, adds the Ableton Link.

I'm keeping up working on it to add new cool features and looking forward to your comments :smile:

• Can't find that preview video on the app store.
    Where is it?

• @cemolcay said:

@ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!

Hey there, yup new version just released. This version, 1.0.3, adds a playhead, mute/solo buttons to tracks, and of course bug fixes and improvements. In the app store page, I added a quick preview video for iPhone and iPad.

I'm keeping up working on it to add new cool features and looking forward to your comments :smile:

Great work. I’m in!

• edited November 2017

@cemolcay said:

@ccs2 said:
    Updated, nice!

Was waiting for the Ableton Link implementation to buy... Do have about 3-4 chord apps.. But a good developer is always good to support... Plus you never have too many Chord apps..., especially with Link... Thanks..

Gone shopping.

Edit... The OP may want to add updated on the heading of this thread...

• @Mayo said:
    Can't find that preview video on the app store.
    Where is it?

You need to check it out from the app store in your iOS device. I don't know why but Apple don't show the preview videos on the web version of the app store.

@RajahP, you're right, better edit that post.

• Hey everyone, new version 1.0.5 released today! Some important changes are:

• MIDI file export added.
    • You can divide your inputs into 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4th, 1/2th or whole beats.
    • If you edit an input's duration in the track editor, new ones will be created with that duration.
    • Mute and solo toggles added to track headers in the project editor.
    • Project settings menu has a cleaner UI.
    • Input grid bugs fixed.

Here's a quick demo gif:

• @cemolcay love the divide feature. And the midi bug is fixed! Any way you can make it so that adding a new track automatically uses the same key as the last track? I feel like most users are going to want them in the same key 99% of the time. Or maybe a global key function...

• May I ask how many scales are in Chordbud? Does it include more exotic scales in Asia and Middle East?

For desktop, there is the new Scaler by Plugin Boutique. But personally I was disappointed with Scaler, as it only includes a few scales popular for Western pop music.

• I've gotten great results letting it play animoog! But I'm confused about how the custom chord progression and the chord progression menus work together. If I edit chord "clips" and am playing them, then pick a chord progression from the menu, does it fit that chord progression into my clips, or does it just play that chord progression with equally spaced chords? Little unclear on that... Feel like I'm being lame but just can't grasp... Love it though!!

• @gkillmaster said:
    I've gotten great results letting it play animoog! But I'm confused about how the custom chord progression and the chord progression menus work together. If I edit chord "clips" and am playing them, then pick a chord progression from the menu, does it fit that chord progression into my clips, or does it just play that chord progression with equally spaced chords? Little unclear on that... Feel like I'm being lame but just can't grasp... Love it though!!

oops, I get it now. nice! sorry to waste anyone's time...

• @fantasyvn said:
    May I ask how many scales are in Chordbud? Does it include more exotic scales in Asia and Middle East?

For desktop, there is the new Scaler by Plugin Boutique. But personally I was disappointed with Scaler, as it only includes a few scales popular for Western pop music.

Well, it has 45 scales for now. Also they are available on my music theory library as well: https://github.com/cemolcay/MusicTheory

If you have any suggestions, would be happy to add them and release a new update!
    These are the scales:

`- Major

• Minor
    • Harmonic Minor
    • Melodic Minor
    • Pentatonic Major
    • Pentatonic Minor
    • Pentatonic Blues
    • Pentatonic Neutral
    • Ionian
    • Aeolian
    • Dorian
    • Mixolydian
    • Phrygian
    • Lydian
    • Locrian
    • Dim half
    • Dim whole
    • Whole
    • Augmented
    • Chromatic
    • Roumanian Minor
    • Spanish Gypsy
    • Blues
    • Diatonic
    • Double Harmonic
    • Eight Tone Spanish
    • Enigmatic
    • Leading Whole Tone
    • Lydian Augmented
    • Neopolitan Major
    • Neopolitan Minor
    • Pelog
    • Prometheus
    • Prometheus Neopolitan
    • Six Tone Symmetrical
    • Super Locrian
    • Lydian Minor
    • Lydian Diminished
    • Nine Tone Scale
    • Auxiliary Diminished
    • Auxiliary Augmented
    • Auxiliary Dim Blues
    • Major Locrian
    • Overtone
    • Diminished Whole Tone
    • Pure Minor
    • Dominant 7th`
  • Hey everyone, I released a new update, 1.0.6 with chord inversions - finally!

I should say that it was quite a challenge for me because I need to find a way to add that feature without breaking the edit/preview mode and simple iPhone/iPad universal design. So, I ended up with adding a chord inversion degree picker under the chord type (triad, tetrad, extended) picker to set all chords at once.

Also, I added an inversion option to the menu, when you long press a chord on the timetable. In that way, you can either explore the inverted chords all in once or work with them one by one, whichever you want. I hope that fits well to the simple usage. Here are the preview gif as always :smile:

• Great stuff can wait for the update to drop.

• Hey everyone, new version, 1.1.1 released!
    ChordBud's editor is much more powerful now.

• First of all, history added. You can undo/redo things up to 10 steps.
    • You can edit multiple inputs at once. Just hold your finger on the timetable for a second and use drag-to-select tool to select inputs. You can move/resize/delete them.
    • You can change the sequencer's length now. It was set automatically to the longest track's duration before. Now, you can set it whatever you want, with the new arrow on the timetable's measure.
    • You change the inputs octave individually. All inputs octave was shared by the track's octave which you can change from track settings. Now you can set any octave to any input from the menu which pops when you long press an input.
    • Navigation bar buttons (play, settings, history etc) are more sensitive and has more room for more easy interaction.
    • Also, some other fixes I may forget about the mention.

A quick little preview gif:

Hope it will work fine for you.
    Let me know any funny behavior or any other improvement ideas!

• Hey everyone, new version 1.1.1 released!
    ChordBud's editor is more powerful now.

• Added history. You can undo/redo things up to 10 steps.
    • You can edit multiple inputs now. Just hold your finger for a second on the timetable for the drag-to-select tool and select the inputs you want to edit. You can move/resize/delete them.
    • You can set the sequencer's duration with the new arrow on the timetable's measure. It was auto set to the longest track's duration before.
    • You can change the octave of the inputs individually. Just long press any input and select the octave option from the menu.
    • Navigation bar buttons are more sensitive and have more room for better interaction.
    • Also other little fixes and improvements I may forget the mention about.

Here is a quick little preview gif:

Hope it will work well for you.
    Let me know any funny behaviors or any other improvement ideas!

• thanks for this :))

• @cem_olcay said:
    Hey everyone, new version 1.1.1 released!
    ChordBud's editor is more powerful now.

• Added history. You can undo/redo things up to 10 steps.
    • You can edit multiple inputs now. Just hold your finger for a second on the timetable for the drag-to-select tool and select the inputs you want to edit. You can move/resize/delete them.
    • You can set the sequencer's duration with the new arrow on the timetable's measure. It was auto set to the longest track's duration before.
    • You can change the octave of the inputs individually. Just long press any input and select the octave option from the menu.
    • Navigation bar buttons are more sensitive and have more room for better interaction.
    • Also other little fixes and improvements I may forget the mention about.

Here is a quick little preview gif:

Hope it will work well for you.
    Let me know any funny behaviors or any other improvement ideas!

The app is crashing when changing the input mode from “chords” to “notes”... very annoying (ipad pro 2017, last ios)

I think the app has potential, I hope this issue will quickly be solves