Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What sort of essential apps are missing from the market?

First i think that its weird that no one has made an IR loader AU and in general all the IR loaders are pretty outdated.

Another one is AU amp modelers. Amp modelers like bias can sound wicked on synths, drums etc as well. But using a single instance of amp model is not very suitable for proper daw work, as you would need to record everything through it, or at least use same settings for everything. So AU is pretty much a must if you want to use them on other than fx for guitar input.
One trick effecting drums for example is to sample things going through it, but its not something that is seamless with many app setups, with bm3 this is easy tho.

What do you guys think are some essential apps that should exist? Maybe some devs will read this topic and get ideas :)

Comments

• A synth a la serum/massive; we got the sounds, we miss the modulations and the filters.

• edited November 2017

A MIDI Randomizer that learns every parameter of any app and randomizes it with the ability to freeze or reset by parameter and save as preset.

• An IAA and AU Freezer, load a synth and then freeze it down to a user defined set of samples (Key range/Velocity Range) ready to be loaded in to sampler instruments in whatever app you like.

An AU MIDI plugin that lets you create MIDI controllers for external hardware (Modstep style templates with a collection of UI elements, maybe even themable)

Transient Designer Auv3.
    Rotary Speaker AUv3.
    TranceGate AUv3.

• +1 for AU amp modeler.
    The closest we have today is THM Overloud within Auria Pro, but as I've been using Bias Amp/FX (both fully loaded with IAP's) I haven't bitten the bullet on Overloud just yet.

• An AU plugin that colors sounds in the style of vintage samplers
    (SP1200, MPCs, Akai S-Series,Boss/Roland SPs,... similiar to NI Maschine's Vintage Mode)...lo-fly dirt maybe?

• @milodeezy said:
    An AU plugin that colors sounds in the style of vintage samplers
    (SP1200, MPCs, Akai S-Series,Boss/Roland SPs,... similiar to NI Maschine's Vintage Mode)...lo-fly dirt maybe?

IR loader can add such an effect if you have the impulse for it :)

• @milodeezy said:
    An AU plugin that colors sounds in the style of vintage samplers

I think blamsoft bit reducer can go a pretty long way down this path

• Au amp modeller is what I’m patiently waiting for as well

• edited November 2017

@gusgranite said:
    A MIDI Randomizer that learns every parameter of any app and randomizes it with the ability to freeze or reset by parameter and save as preset.

a sort of swarm2 independent app? So how do you get that app to communicate with all the other apps if they don't expose the control/patch info other than by slow midi ccs? We have yet to see many apps adopt nrpn or sysex we have in hardware devices.

• @midiSequencer said:

@gusgranite said:

a sort of swarm2 independent app? So how do you get that app to communicate with all the other apps if they don't expose the control/patch info other than by slow midi ccs? We have yet to see many apps adopt nrpn or sysex we have in hardware devices.

And even then, truly random patch generation is rarely useful. So the plugin would have to "know" the synth and the depencies between different parameters. For example: in Phasemaker (FM synth) the parameter sweetspot for usable sounds is really narrow because in FM a tiny parameter change or two can quickly lead to complete earpiercing chaos. So I had to build a smart randomizer with lots of dependencies and conditional modifiers to be able to come up with usable results.

A generic patch randomizer could not be expected to figure that out on its own.

I more interesting (but virtually impossible on iOS) approach would be a machine learning algorithm. You could feed it a ton of presets and make it learn patterns that work well together and then let it experiment with those.

• edited November 2017
    • full featured AUv3 sampler
    • AUv3 IAA wrapper (plugin able to work as IAA host)
    • Nanostudio 2 :-)
  • An auto sampler.

One of these used to be available for that keyboard that was basically a computer in a synth shell (can’t remember its name).

Basically you set up which notes you wanted to sample at how many octaves, hooked up a midi cable to the device and audio cables back from the device - wallah! It auto sampled your sound. You could set it up to create settings suitable for particular sounds and it literally did everything automatically after set up!

I would like one of those for iOS with the ability to sample internally too!

On top of this, I would like it to then have full manual sampling functions - so, a really top notch sampler for iOS that then could play its sounds as AU instances.

I would like it to have some synthesis capabilities too especially a choice of component emulated filter types.

It must have full zoning, layering, velocity mapping and cross mapping of samples.

It must have a decent live stretching.

It needs to also have a modern twist I.e. bring something new to the sampling party!

It must be designed for touch screen!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    An auto sampler.

One of these used to be available for that keyboard that was basically a computer in a synth shell (can’t remember its name).

Basically you set up which notes you wanted to sample at how many octaves, hooked up a midi cable to the device and audio cables back from the device - wallah! It auto sampled your sound. You could set it up to create settings suitable for particular sounds and it literally did everything automatically after set up!

On top of this, I would like it to then have full manual sampling functions - so, a really top notch sampler for iOS that then could play its sounds as AU instances.

I would like it to have some synthesis capabilities too especially a choice of component emulated filter types.

It must have full zoning, layering, velocity mapping and cross mapping of samples.

It needs to also have a modern twist I.e. bring something new to the sampling party!

And a espresso please:)

• @mschenkel.it said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    An auto sampler.

And a espresso please:)

I think an Espresso is thinking too small - a full blown coffee grinder and maker with full grading of caffeine hit!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@gusgranite said:

And even then, truly random patch generation is rarely useful. So the plugin would have to "know" the synth and the depencies between different parameters. For example: in Phasemaker (FM synth) the parameter sweetspot for usable sounds is really narrow because in FM a tiny parameter change or two can quickly lead to complete earpiercing chaos. So I had to build a smart randomizer with lots of dependencies and conditional modifiers to be able to come up with usable results.

I more interesting (but virtually impossible on iOS) approach would be a machine learning algorithm. You could feed it a ton of presets and make it learn patterns that work well together and then let it experiment with those.

I agree - its not just getting the start/end points of data values and applying a die roll - a lot of parameters have a non-linear effect.
    Guess you had your ears-pierced in the past!

• An app that can link midi out to manipulate video in realtime

• edited November 2017

Mainstage for IOS

A event list editor to edit midi files like has it in Cakewalk / Sonar would be great.

• I still think we're missing a killer DAW.

BM3 comes close, but is more of a groovebox than a linear arranger.
    Cubasis and Auria tick the right boxes, but feel like a desktop app crammed into a touch interface.

I think there is still a huge gap in the market here...

• edited November 2017

@nrgb said:
    I still think we're missing a killer DAW.

That's why i wrote "Nanostudio 2" few posts above :-)

Good thing is it's on the way and it's pretty close :)

• Arranger forone man> @d4d0ug said:

As mentioned earlier in the thread.......a decent AUv3 sampler.

Reslice is great, but lacks automation and pitch shifting.

It has pitchshift. Did you used a pitch wheel in your controller with it?

@joaoluiz14 said:
    Mainstage for IOS

+1 and with arranging tools like Tyros or Ketron, please.

• @brambos said:

@midiSequencer said:

@gusgranite said:

I recall Matt posting a TB Midi template that randomizes Gadget parameters... It's awesome, but sometimes you get "silent" patches or some nasty sounds lol
    But it's dang useful for experimentations :smile:

• Android users would know this one GStomper.

• AU version of Turnado is what's missing the most

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Arranger forone man> @d4d0ug said:

As mentioned earlier in the thread.......a decent AUv3 sampler.

Reslice is great, but lacks automation and pitch shifting.

It has pitchshift. Did you used a pitch wheel in your controller with it?

@joaoluiz14 said:
    Mainstage for IOS

+1 and with arranging tools like Tyros or Ketron, please.

That would be a killer app, but I think it won't happen (Yamaha Genos and the Tyros line are worth more than US$ 5.000 - they won't risk lose that market).

• edited November 2017

We are dreaming right? Let me enjoy my pain fantasy, please...
    :bawling:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A Roland version of Gadget.

• I use it with my Vestax pad-one xy (which sends pitchbend mod) as I used to perform with my old padkotrol+Roland VariOS back in the day. For me just as Variphrase replacement for realtime chopping with melody pitching is perfect. Later I record it into Blocs or similar but it could be automatized inside AU host (BM3, GBand, Modstep...) : wink: