Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THE STAGES OF IPAD MUSICIAN DEVELOPMENT

2»

Comments

• edited March 2018

@Lady_App_titude said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    There's also double penetration.
    Wherein you try an app and love it so much you buy the hardware equivalent. Ripplemaker, model15, zmors and quantum. My wallet's not happy at all :cry: so many purdy lights though. !

Yup. Seriously tempted to grab the desktop version of Gadget while it's 50% off.

Some love (or batteries) and probably you will get it again 100% on.
    Instead the desktop version I prefer the couch one. More fun(k) with proper Lady... :naughty:

• tjatja
    edited March 2018

@Hmtx said:
    You forgot the final stage:

Nirvana - I no longer play any music of any sort. I only imagine it in my mind and spend the rest of my time on the Audiobus forum and purchasing apps on the AppStore

:) :D ;) :p B) o:) >:)

I currently spend more time in this forum than with the Apps themselves - but I still continue to buy new Apps, and of course find no time to use them.

Latest musical additions: tardigrain, KQ Dixie, Rozeta and the Xequencer IAP.

• Did you know that artificial Vanilla flavoring comes from the pineal gland of a beaver? > @tja said:

@Hmtx said:

Nirvana - I no longer play any music of any sort. I only imagine it in my mind and spend the rest of my time on the Audiobus forum and purchasing apps on the AppStore

:) :D ;) :p B) o:) >:)

I currently spend more time in this forum than with the Apps themselves - but I still continue to buy new Apps, and of course find no time to use them.

Latest musical additions: tardigrain, KQ Dixie and Rozeta

Unfortunately this is me as well. Haven't had much time for music creation with the kids around - only time to make videos!

• @Hmtx said:

I’m beyond nirvana. I’ve purchased all music apps on AppStore and spend my money on presets, just to get a fix.

• @dvlmusic said:
    Did you know that artificial Vanilla flavoring comes from the pineal gland of a beaver?

No wonder it tastes so good.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Oral: During this stage the personality works on overcoming initial skepticism that the iPad can be a serious musical instrument at all. For most people this question was settled several years ago, but there are those who continue to ignore the inevitable and just keep working in the desktop stage, missing out on the touch experience (and spending 10 times as much on software).

Anal: At this point the user becomes obsessed with the iPad as the new answer to everything. The older desktop or hardware ways are eschewed as the user makes a vow to henceforth work only "in the slab," no matter what it takes, no matter how many hoops through which one has to jump. The desktop is dead. Long live the touchpad.

Phallic: Musical masturbation, basically. Like any new toy, ecstatic obsession sets in.

Latency: Eventually the artificial creative boost generated by the new toys begins to wear thin. The user comes to realize that, damn it, certain things are still just so much better on the desktop. Others press on "in the slab" (usually for lifestyle or budget reasons).

Genital: The intercourse of desktop and tablet reaches maturity, spawning the perfect balance between hardware and software, desktop and tablet, real and virtual. Sort of.

The biggest challenge at this stage is simply keeping up with the continual barrage of brilliant new apps that keeps coming down the pike while still finding time to make music or do anything else! "Yes, I'll get back to work, just as soon as try out this new super app that's going to replace everything I ever wanted or bring back some lost vintage thing that I can't go on without."

Thank you. What do I owe you?

• (A warning for the easily-offended and overly-serious - this reply is candid but also tongue-in-cheek and written in jest. You’re welcome for that warning. :smirk: )

So here’s how it worked with me, no penes nor vages about it...

mid-2011: iOS has music apps?!? Get me an iPod Touch NOW!

late-2011: This screen size sucks. Get me an iPad 2 with maximum capacity.

2012: Music Studio is the bestest app ever! No wait, Nanostudio is better, but wait. Why in the hell do I have to use WiFi to transfer files at a snail’s pace? Oh hello iFunBox.

2013: What is this Audiobus app? Oh my god this is revolutionary! Audioshare looks great, and I can use it to download wavs from Freesound?! Oh my, this Gadget app looks pretty great as well as Cubasis.

2014: App hoarding, emphasis on synths.

2015: Moar app hoarding, emphasis on experimental stuff (like Borderlands and Soundscaper). Wait, why is Audioshare’s browser discontinued?! F- YOU APPLE AND YOUR ALCATRAZ-STYLED LOCKDOWN VENDETTA AGAINST AUDIO FILE DOWNLOADS! :smirk: At least Documents filled that need.

2016: Moar app hoarding, with the emphasis on AUs. Also rounding out my Fabfilter collection in Auria.

2017: Andrew Huang’s Beathawk demo is INCREDIBLE! Ca-ching, purchased! Wait a tick, this person switched to subscription-only pricing for their app and there’s no evolving content library nor cloud storage? F- them! That person switched to subscription-only pricing for their app and nothing evolves? F- them too the lousy greedy pirates. Can you believe this one idiot is charging a subscription-only price for a single AU plugin whose description is more pretentious than narcissistic personality disorder? Welp, add him to my sh-t list.

Later that year: I hate to admit it, but I have app fatigue. God knows what moron will try to screw us over with crummy subscription pricing next. I mean, it’s not like these folks have evolving content. Oh, Celsys finally has Manga Studio for the iPad?! Hooray, this is the best day of...wait, what the hell!? SUBSCRIPTION-ONLY PRICING AND NO CLOUD STORAGE?! Yep, they go on my sh-t list.

2018: “Hey guys. Dave from Noiiz here.” Everybody else - “GET OUT OF HERE!” Me - “Calm down you lot, at least the Noiiz app will have an evolving content library unlike crummy Celsys.”

“Auxy switched to subscription pricing!” Aw crap, are you seri...oh wait, evolving content library. Fair enough. Are those my mate Toby Emerson’s samples up in there?! F-in sweet! I can actually get behind that. Everybody else - “F- Auxy!” (I actually do like having access to everything in a content library all at once rather than dumping a ton of money into an app all at once. In the case of eolving content libraries, subscriptions are worth it.)

February: Gadget’s finally getting a sampler?! Aw screw it! I can trust Korg to never make Gadget a subscription-only app, so let me invest my money in their compatible apps and IAPs for their apps to support them.

And it’s pretty funny, but these days, I do most of everything in Gadget except for mixing in AUM and mastering in Auria (although I may switch to Grand Finale). Plus, Fred’s transient designer is the best plugin I’ve ever used and has eliminated my need to over-EQ my mixes. I also love Auxy for quick idea sketching on my iPhone SE.

• @Tronlady said:

Seriously though has anybody actually managed to make any music and not just the same loops over and over?? Can anybody recommend any iOS musicians who actually manage to do the verse chorus middle 8 thing that these so called “bands” used to do?

I’m curious too. Who are you favorite IOS only musician?