Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Showing the love

1235»

Comments

• edited June 2018

<clicks like>

• edited June 2018

Seriously, though, great comments. I don't think there's anything there I don't agree wholeheartedly with. It's all tied into the intense tribalism that has emerged lately, too, I think. All this stuff I find scary and bewildering, and something that feels dangerously close to an existential threat to democratic society (but we won't go there =)). I also understand your reaction against the addition of a 'like' button here, and I may even share the feeling a little.

At the time I added it, I was in a world of hurt, having to spend a huge amount of time and energy each day fending off political arguments and abuse here, and I was trying to think of creative ways to increase positivity here (without requiring my giving up coding to become full-time mod/surrogate father figure!). My plan at the time was to use it as a moderation tool, to see where the well-loved posts were coming from and perhaps do some kind of recognition of great contributors here. It hasn't come to pass as - it turns out - that's pretty time-consuming too.

The other idea was to make it easier to find the 'meat' in long threads - there are some great, informative posts that kinda get lost, and this is meant to make it easier to jump straight to those instead of having to wade through.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the like buttons at all, but some people seemed to enjoy them, so there they stay for now.

• Huh, I'm not actually seeing the sort option any more, anyway. Guess that got lost with a subsequent update. Not sure I can be bothered chasing it down though.

• Thanks for that, @michael. I came to the forum when it seemed a pretty pastoral place so your tale of a more contentious past is a surprise to me. Even though I may be balky at times I hope I am adding a positive spirit to this wonderful assortment of personae. I can't add much technically, but perhaps being one of the oldest members I can wax philosophical without feeling too egoistic about the absurd, engrossing and marvelous world we are all sharing. I was concerned you and folks would find my meanderings ill considered but I am relieved that at least you
    (The instigator👍) started this!

To just say a few things about other stuff... I am loving AB! I never really "got" what workflow meant until I tried creating on my ipad2 (no AB but you read my mind and are retroing a 9.0 fit
    In AB3). Then I began using AB on my 4 and had the aha experience. Seeing those comforting little AB tabs on every screen made an incredible difference, as most everyone here has discovered. Yes, I am late to the party but that makes my appreciation even greater because it is so nearly perfected as compared to experiencing the process of coming into being we are seeing with SynthMaster One for example. Below is the first piece I did with AB in about three hours start to finish. Double that time surely without Audiobus if it would have happened at all! For me the intuitive getting on with it could easily be derailed by production difficulties. AB allowed almost unissued process in creation ( I had only one glitch. I used iM1's Universe patch in the piece but could get no throughpurt of sound to Cubasis. I worked around it by using Darwin in Gadget to access the sUniverse patch. That worked fine so there must be something in the AB link that I was not enabling. Any idea what that might be? I messed with it as much as I could but couldn't get it to work).

The other partner in workflow was Cubasis. I almost accidently discovered the insanely simple, intuitive and on the fly editing feature CB allows in the bass part of the piece below (I have no desktop experience in editing and editing on my keyboard workstations is impossible, small and difficult). So easy to tweak the Jazz line I was trying to creating in micrologue. Audiobus and Cubasis... Anunimaginable (to me) new reality. Totally devastating combo!

That being said, I downloaded Fac Chorus to start experimenting with effect insertion on AB and, whoa (woe!), no friendly relations! Fac Chorus is so praised and used I didn't even check! So @michael would you please call Fred and make it happen! I have started saying "All roads lead to Aum"! I personally don't need Aum since you added a mixer and midi ( I guess I will understand the midi feature one day). If not, could you please give us all a list of effects ( maybe a new thread) that you think are a good package for using in Audiobus. That would help me personally a lot as knowledge of available effects and their usage is a weak point for me and probably every newbie.

Finally in addition to looking forward to the release of AB for itself, I am hoping we can reopen the beginner's or educational category discussion. So others should know, you posted an interest in pursuing this topic and I am not flexing any egoistic, jingoistic, bullyboy agenda pursuing, claptrap on this subject.

And finally finally, thanks again for allowing us to have the Wonderful Wizard of AB amongst us yellowbrickers!

• @Michael said:
    Seriously, though, great comments. I don't think there's anything there I don't agree wholeheartedly with. It's all tied into the intense tribalism that has emerged lately, too, I think. All this stuff I find scary and bewildering, and something that feels dangerously close to an existential threat to democratic society (but we won't go there =)). I also understand your reaction against the addition of a 'like' button here, and I may even share the feeling a little.

At the time I added it, I was in a world of hurt, having to spend a huge amount of time and energy each day fending off political arguments and abuse here, and I was trying to think of creative ways to increase positivity here (without requiring my giving up coding to become full-time mod/surrogate father figure!). My plan at the time was to use it as a moderation tool, to see where the well-loved posts were coming from and perhaps do some kind of recognition of great contributors here. It hasn't come to pass as - it turns out - that's pretty time-consuming too.

The other idea was to make it easier to find the 'meat' in long threads - there are some great, informative posts that kinda get lost, and this is meant to make it easier to jump straight to those instead of having to wade through.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the like buttons at all, but some people seemed to enjoy them, so there they stay for now.

Not only do you do all the apps but you manage us lunatics in here......poor fella

• I regret that @Michael removed the dislike feature which allowed us, lurkers, to show our disagreement to some comments. I think most of Audiobus forum visitors actually don’t post comments but have an opinion, and this was a nice way to show some ‘trends’ in how people were reacting to comments, without disrespecting anyone.

• I find all the important and meaningful posts are accessible easily under one place – the part of my profile which lists stuff wot I wrote.

• I believe @u0421794 (I hope that's not your birthday. I wanted to be the oldest member on the forum!)) has the ultimate and most elegant answer to all of this 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• @LinearLineman said:
    I believe @u0421794 (I hope that's not your birthday. I wanted to be the oldest member on the forum!)) has the ultimate and most elegant answer to all of this 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It is actually my student number from when I was studying for my MSc in Technology Management at University of East London back in the previous decade. There’s so many websites which I can’t sign up for because my first name and surname have a space in-between, like normal. So I used that, as I could remember it at the time, and now since I graduated (with distinction) and even went back there teaching, the old number no longer valid, I still remember it as a logon.