Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Music Apps That Aren't Synths/ Drum Machines

Hi all

I'm diversifying my collection of music making apps. I'd like to add a couple of apps that produce sounds but that are not synths or drum machines. In particular i'm interested in those based on traditional instruments e.g. iSymphonic or Neo Soul Keys, Korg Module. Obviously with this type of app, i imagine they will be sample collection/romplers and i'm fine with that.

Anyone have experience with these or others? Which ones out there would you recommend?

Most important factors for me are sound quality, decent UI, and midi implementation.

Thanks!

Comments

• So many to list, but I'll just include a few: iSymphonic, Oriental Strings, Guitar Capo+, Module, and ThumbJam, and BS16i...these all work well for me, MIDI wise and for sound quality.

• IFretless stuff me finds lots of fun

• While GeoShred is technically a 'physical modelling synth' I see it more as an instrument.
    There's not anything like it out there, even though I don't play stringed instruments I love GeoShred :)

• I'm enjoying the few beathawk packs I own, surprised by the quality. Steel guitar(?), Finger fiddle, guitar capo (midi out is nice for strumming synths) and the GarageBand smart instruments haven't been mentioned yet and sound good to me.

• True that, I could not imagine my iPad without GarageBand...
    Just love the touch-instruments that are available, they are fun to play with and sound really good!
    (And it's easy enough to export the audio to other apps if/when needed).

• Markus Sigg organ apps are great. I only have the low cost and freebie ones but still impressive (just less octaves).

• I like Steel Guitar by Yonac. It sounds and plays incredibly, but it doesn't have the type of MIDI implementation that is useful for me. Orphion is really fun and sounds like a hybrid of acoustic instruments, and has some cool MIDI tricks as well.

• Sound quality; Neo Soul Keys Studio, Raverncroft Piano. I like the sound of iSymphonic strings, but honestly I use ThumbJam’s String ensemble because it’s so darn playable.

• If a plug-in qualified as a music app, I'd say FabFilter Pro L.

• edited November 2017

P.S.: and since no synth or drum app is allowed, I vote for Hokusai 2 for the noise reduction.

• edited November 2017

Oval? and +1 for neo soul keys

• Thanks a lot for the answers. I've never really given GB much of a look so i'll check that out. There's a few others i hadn't heard of mentioned as well so i've got a few leads to research.

Cheers!

• Sampletank - I don’t like the interface, love the sounds..especially the orchestra packs. possibly the best sample-based variety packs on ios .. I tend to stick with the non-electronic sample packs in sampletank, since I purchased the complete syntronik with all the synth samples I could possibly need.

Alina String Ensemble

For Cathedral Pipe organ, nothing beats the Marcus Sigg collection...while very expensive (too much so for my wallet, I’m happy with the powerful free versions, such as pitea3o

guitar: Bias Amp/Fx/Jamup
    Tonestack
    Flying Haggis
    My fav is tonestack, Bias Is a close second..

iOptigan .. = Love the retro grooves baby!

• edited November 2017

Soundscaper. It’s not a traditional synth, you can use your own samples, and it’s THE non-traditional iOS app I’ve spent the most time making music with.

Edit: I’m sorry, you mentioned wanting more traditional instruments. Ignore my suggestion...unless you’re up for the occasional trip into the weird and wild side.

• Drumjam (not a drum machine) and Thumbjam (not a synth). Everyone should have these two essential apps.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Soundscaper. It’s not a traditional synth, you can use your own samples, and it’s THE non-traditional iOS app I’ve spent the most time making music with.

Edit: I’m sorry, you mentioned wanting more traditional instruments. Ignore my suggestion...unless you’re up for the occasional trip into the weird and wild side.

No worries ;) I am interested Soundscaper as well as the more traditional instrument sample sets and romplers etc. so thanks for the recommendation.

• Romplers(+): SoundCanvas, SampleTank, bs-16i, Beathawk, Oriental Strings, Sopranotron, and +1 for all the iFretless apps, GeoShred, Thumb/DrumJam.

Rewire your head: Different Drummer, Wotja, Moodscaper, Reflections, Sector, Xynthesizr.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Drumjam (not a drum machine) and Thumbjam (not a synth). Everyone should have these two essential apps.

+1

Drumjam (not a drum machine) and Thumbjam (not a synth). Everyone should have these two essential apps.

Agree! ThumbJam is possibly my favourite ever app. Great sampler too!

This two apps from the legendary app developer Jesse has a special place in my heart and mind... Great stuff!

• One that I don't see mentioned much is Gestrument. It comes with a bunch of Soundfonts, and it is a unique way of creating music..

• +1 for iSymphonic and Steel Guitar

• @Seangarland said:
    One that I don't see mentioned much is Gestrument. It comes with a bunch of Soundfonts, and it is a unique way of creating music..

Doubleplus for this one.

• @CracklePot said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

+1

+2