Is TriqTraq the OP-1 of iOS? Or Is It the Digikat?

edited November 13 in General Vote Up0

The short answer to both questions is no. But still...

TriqTraq just had an update that added a few sounds, and it made me jump back in. It's great, and I'm trying to smoke out any TriqTraq experts so I can see how they play with this amazing tool. Would love to hear tips from others. Particularly workflow for exporting stems.

First, let me say this: I don't really know what I'm talking about. I do not own an OP-1 (the sampling synthesizer by Teenage Engineering). Nor do I own an Elektron Digitakt, a sampling drum machine. But I have coveted both for a long time and have watched a shameful number of videos of how they work, so I feel as if I understand them.

TriqTraq is a sampling sequencer. It has no oscillators, no instruments of its own. It has only four monophonic tracks.

And yet!

These very limitations remind me of what people say about the OP-1, specifically that it's limited options are what make it so inspiring. I sometimes wish that I could have more than four tracks in TriqTraq, but then I bet I'd never arrive at the sparse melodies I come up with. Plus it has Ableton export, so I can replace or add to the drum tracks, which tend to be the weakest aspect of TriqTraq.

But its strength is its easy sample import (Audioshare) and step modulation. The modulation is what reminds me of the Digitakt. (https://www.elektron.se/products/digitakt/ "Digitakt"). TriqTraq doesn't have many parameters — pitch, decay, delay send, filter — but these can be adjusted step by step. In fact, they can have a different length than the pattern being sequenced, so your filter can sweep through the bass pattern at either half the rate or twice the rate of the notes.

The downside: It's portrait mode only.
The considerable upside: $4.99 for TriqTraq. (Digitakt is $679, and OP-1 is $899 — if you can find them.)

Comments

  • 27 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • ElasticDrums is our Digitakt, just need the sample import IAP! Love triqtraq too :) Both have Ableton export, my favourite feature of any app that provides it

  • @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    ElasticDrums is our Digitakt, just need the sample import IAP! Love triqtraq too :) Both have Ableton export, my favourite feature of any app that provides it

    I get you on Elastic Drums, but I just can't figure out the sample manipulations. I feel like every button I tweak is turning on a light in a different room but I remain in the dark.

  • Triqtraq is excellent. Portrait mode only is a shame and means that i don’t use it so much on iPad. Great on the move with iPhone se

  • @ExAsperis99 said:

    @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    ElasticDrums is our Digitakt, just need the sample import IAP! Love triqtraq too :) Both have Ableton export, my favourite feature of any app that provides it

    I get you on Elastic Drums, but I just can't figure out the sample manipulations. I feel like every button I tweak is turning on a light in a different room but I remain in the dark.

    It's worth spending time with ED and reading the manual. It's really not hard to get around in it. I also like TON, which is a bit simpler.

  • @ExAsperis99 said:

    @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    ElasticDrums is our Digitakt, just need the sample import IAP! Love triqtraq too :) Both have Ableton export, my favourite feature of any app that provides it

    I get you on Elastic Drums, but I just can't figure out the sample manipulations. I feel like every button I tweak is turning on a light in a different room but I remain in the dark.

    I'm sure Doug has a tutorial on this? The developer has a lot of short tutorials on YouTube also. ElasticDrums really shines with a midi controller! My aging iPhone copes well with both apps (ED & Triqtraq), great for bus journeys

  • Samplr is probably the closest thing to an op-1. I should mention that I haven't used the hardware but have seen a few tutorials and people making stuff with it.

  • @ExAsperis99 said:

    @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    ElasticDrums is our Digitakt, just need the sample import IAP! Love triqtraq too :) Both have Ableton export, my favourite feature of any app that provides it

    I get you on Elastic Drums, but I just can't figure out the sample manipulations. I feel like every button I tweak is turning on a light in a different room but I remain in the dark.

    And the Elegant Metaphor of the Day award goes to @ExAsperis99. I feel that way in ED sometimes.

  • I may be wrong on this but pretty sure there is a well written user manual for ElasticDrums?

    The synth controls are different depending on the algorithm/model and having a knowledge of drum synthesis is a big help.

    The sample controls are basic stuff like attack, sustain, offset = sample start, direction = reverse on/off, loop start and loop length are what you would expect, loopSmth is smoothing ie higher settings will add a fade or find zero crossing points, loop until = loop on/off. Hope that helps!

  • @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I may be wrong on this but pretty sure there is a well written user manual for ElasticDrums?

    The synth controls are different depending on the algorithm/model and having a knowledge of drum synthesis is a big help.

    The sample controls are basic stuff like attack, sustain, offset = sample start, direction = reverse on/off, loop start and loop length are what you would expect, loopSmth is smoothing ie higher settings will add a fade or find zero crossing points, loop until = loop on/off. Hope that helps!

    No, I get it. It's just the samples that I drop in don't behave the way I expect them to. Admittedly, I haven't sat down with the manual open. But I don't do that with any app, and usually I can get something out of it I expect. But I do love ED. Mostly.

  • @ExAsperis99 I have only used short samples so far, are you using longer pieces of audio? I can imagine that might not work very well since its a drum machine at heart.

  • @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @ExAsperis99 I have only used short samples so far, are you using longer pieces of audio? I can imagine that might not work very well since its a drum machine at heart.

    I used long samples as unique source for various hit, so I don’t have to do the multiple imports.

  • @mschenkel.it said:

    @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @ExAsperis99 I have only used short samples so far, are you using longer pieces of audio? I can imagine that might not work very well since its a drum machine at heart.

    I used long samples as unique source for various hit, so I don’t have to do the multiple imports.

    Good tip, will try this later on!

  • How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @MonzoPro Press 'kits' you will see each square has a load option, press the square you want then choose AudioShare at the bottom of the screen. In AudioShare find the sample, import and it's now part of your user sounds in the app. Works fine here, let me know if you're having troubles..

    I'm on iOS 10 btw

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @MonzoPro said:
    How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

    There seems to be a new bug introduced by the update. The method to import samples is below, but when trying to do use AudioShare, I get this error message: "Missing callback URL. Hello developer. This app does not expose the needed appname.auioshare:// callback URL!"
    @j_liljedahl

    You go to the Load Kit tab in TriqTraq. Then you need to load each of the eight individual pads; there's an option for AudioPaste, Audioshare or iTunes. Once you've got the eight samples, though, you save the kit and can reuse in TriqTraq whenever, in whole or in part.

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    @MonzoPro Press 'kits' you will see each square has a load option, press the square you want then choose AudioShare at the bottom of the screen. In AudioShare find the sample, import and it's now part of your user sounds in the app. Works fine here, let me know if you're having troubles..

    I'm on iOS 10 btw

    @ExAsperis99 said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

    There seems to be a new bug introduced by the update. The method to import samples is below, but when trying to do use AudioShare, I get this error message: "Missing callback URL. Hello developer. This app does not expose the needed appname.auioshare:// callback URL!"

    You go to the Load Kit tab in TriqTraq. Then you need to load each of the eight individual pads; there's an option for AudioPaste, Audioshare or iTunes. Once you've got the eight samples, though, you save the kit and can reuse in TriqTraq whenever, in whole or in part.

    Ok thanks guys, yeah that's the error I get, tried again but still getting the error.

  • @ExAsperis99 said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

    There seems to be a new bug introduced by the update. The method to import samples is below, but when trying to do use AudioShare, I get this error message: "Missing callback URL. Hello developer. This app does not expose the needed appname.auioshare:// callback URL!"

    You go to the Load Kit tab in TriqTraq. Then you need to load each of the eight individual pads; there's an option for AudioPaste, Audioshare or iTunes. Once you've got the eight samples, though, you save the kit and can reuse in TriqTraq whenever, in whole or in part.

    That doesn't sound good, I haven't put the latest update of AudioShare or triqtraq on my devices yet. If I see iOS 11 compatibly fixes as the main feature in an update I assume it might mess with my setup and give it a miss. Extremely determined to keep everything on 10 until I can get a new used device to give 11 a spin.

    Sorry for skimming over your question @MonzoPro I see you already knew the process, hope this gets fixed soon!

  • @BlueGreenSpiral said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

    There seems to be a new bug introduced by the update. The method to import samples is below, but when trying to do use AudioShare, I get this error message: "Missing callback URL. Hello developer. This app does not expose the needed appname.auioshare:// callback URL!"

    You go to the Load Kit tab in TriqTraq. Then you need to load each of the eight individual pads; there's an option for AudioPaste, Audioshare or iTunes. Once you've got the eight samples, though, you save the kit and can reuse in TriqTraq whenever, in whole or in part.

    That doesn't sound good, I haven't put the latest update of AudioShare or triqtraq on my devices yet. If I see iOS 11 compatibly fixes as the main feature in an update I assume it might mess with my setup and give it a miss. Extremely determined to keep everything on 10 until I can get a new used device to give 11 a spin.

    Sorry for skimming over your question @MonzoPro I see you already knew the process, hope this gets fixed soon!

    No that's fine, thanks for your help.

    I'm on iOS 10 as well at the moment. To be honest I haven't used the sample import, and haven't used the app for months, but I did update it yesterday.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @BlueGreenSpiral said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

    There seems to be a new bug introduced by the update. The method to import samples is below, but when trying to do use AudioShare, I get this error message: "Missing callback URL. Hello developer. This app does not expose the needed appname.auioshare:// callback URL!"

    You go to the Load Kit tab in TriqTraq. Then you need to load each of the eight individual pads; there's an option for AudioPaste, Audioshare or iTunes. Once you've got the eight samples, though, you save the kit and can reuse in TriqTraq whenever, in whole or in part.

    That doesn't sound good, I haven't put the latest update of AudioShare or triqtraq on my devices yet. If I see iOS 11 compatibly fixes as the main feature in an update I assume it might mess with my setup and give it a miss. Extremely determined to keep everything on 10 until I can get a new used device to give 11 a spin.

    Sorry for skimming over your question @MonzoPro I see you already knew the process, hope this gets fixed soon!

    No that's fine, thanks for your help.

    I'm on iOS 10 as well at the moment. To be honest I haven't used the sample import, and haven't used the app for months, but I did update it yesterday.

    Well give it a go, and see if it's a problem with the new TriqTraq update or if it's an iOS 11 problem.

  • @MonzoPro You might have finally discovered a use for AudioCopy/AudioPaste :)

  • @ExAsperis99 said:

    TriqTraq is a sampling sequencer. It has no oscillators, no instruments of its own. It has only four monophonic tracks.

    Sounds more like our host's SampleBot (I don't own any of these).

  • @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:

    TriqTraq is a sampling sequencer. It has no oscillators, no instruments of its own. It has only four monophonic tracks.

    Sounds more like our host's SampleBot (I don't own any of these).

    I see why you'd say that, but it's a step sequencer primarily.

  • @zaplinmusic

    @ExAsperis99 said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    How do you get samples in from Audioshare? I don't get an open in/copy to option in AS, and when I try and import to a pad in Triqtraq using the AS option it gives me an error.

    Is this just a feature for iOS 11 users?

    There seems to be a new bug introduced by the update. The method to import samples is below, but when trying to do use AudioShare, I get this error message: "Missing callback URL. Hello developer. This app does not expose the needed appname.auioshare:// callback URL!"
    @j_liljedahl

    You go to the Load Kit tab in TriqTraq. Then you need to load each of the eight individual pads; there's an option for AudioPaste, Audioshare or iTunes. Once you've got the eight samples, though, you save the kit and can reuse in TriqTraq whenever, in whole or in part.

    @zaplinmusic Is this something you can fix?

  • Love The Triq. Really wish it was Landscape.....

  • A bit OT, but does anyone have all of the Eric Sigth apps that look like the OP-1?
    What do you think?

    strng $2 Polyphonic Karpus Strong 2 filters w/ 2 LFOs stereo delay
    shapesynth $2 Polyphonic Draw Wave, arp/euclid seq+delay+filter+tape
    brother $1 shapesynth-lite w/ 4 waveforms, simple seq, delay
    elsa $2 melodic sampler w/ tempo-based looping+crush+rev+fltr edit waves

    voice bot $1 vocoder
    nils $2 bitcrusher+sampler+looper+filter+chop filter+delay+limiter
    frekvens $2 linear frequency shifter & dual delay, AUv3

  • Heard from the developer. They are looking into it. In the meantime, the suggestion is to use AudioCopy. Alas.

    Or — I don't know, is it valuable with the Files app in iOS 11?

  • @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    ElasticDrums is our Digitakt, just need the sample import IAP!

    Does Elastic Drums allow a different sound per step like the Digitakt and TriqTraq?

Sign In or Register to comment.