Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does your spouse/partner/gf/bf like that you make music? Hate it? Neutral?

Comments

• As far as past relationships go, I’ve always gone for the driven career-type, so anything productive that I can do to stay out of her/their hair while working overtime at home is a good thing. I’ve always been complimented/appreciated for having such a thing to entertain me. The relationships didn’t last for more trivial reasons.

• My wife is proud of what I‘m doing with music. If that would not be the case, she should respect the time I need for my own, as vice versa. Otherwise a relationship makes no sense.

• edited November 2017

I married her because she played Tenor sax in the jazz band and was in choir. Then she lost all interest as soon as we got hitched. She was absolutely not musically creative and used to discourage my stuff so we could spend more time “together” with me watching her while she was on Facebook.
    Now that we have had a child, she has begun singing to her, and making up goofy baby songs(plagiarizing other tunes). She is now much more open to my music stuff, especially when I throw our daughters name into the melody and make it sound pretty. Time prevails.

• I pay my share of the bills with it, so what choice does she have? :p To be fair, she always did support me from
    day one: she likes music a lot and used to have piano classes when she was a teen.

• Married 14 years.

She is happy I am out of her hair for a couple hours every night and in the morning while she is heading out.

• Some lovely comments in this thread :)

• My handlers are ok with it :)

• My wife has always supported my love of music. We have been married 19 years.
    My kids are not all that interested in what I do, but they are currently K-pop fanatics so it makes sense.

• edited November 2017

Not only does Mrs Zen like most of our stuff, and see it’s creation as a positive thing, she also gets me App Store cards! Marvellous woman.

For my part, I have successfully trained her to NOT talk through a set I’ve made earlier to play, featuring music from across time. Before knowing me, music was a background thing, maybe hummable. Now, she has discovered lyrics, and listens with rapt fascination to the stories being told.

• @Zen210507 can I get your wife to have lunch with my wife?

• Do you like her for what she is? If yes..why bother.

• If not.rethink your life

• Mrs Hell accepts and (mostly) respects that I do music. After all I was a full-time-wanna-be-rockstar when we met 24 years ago, so she knew what she was getting in to, even though she hated the music I did then (she is more Sade than Pantera/Meshuggah).

These days she tolerates my music making, especially after I severely cut down on my app spending (which was up at $2-300/month for a while when getting all the stuff) and after I have started making more money from music than it actually costs me to keep up, she thinks it is alright.

As my music of today sounds completely different to what it used to she still isn't liking it much, but understands I need my space. Normally when I'm in a grumpy mood she knows if I should "go make some music" or "change jobs man" and advices accordingly, often before I've realised she is right.

Also, she really loves that our kids have taken quite a keen interest in playing instruments and singing and that I coach them as best as I can.

• Why are you so bothered by her..it is not good

• edited November 2017

Not a single day goes by that I don't thank the Spirit of the Universe, whomever or whatever it may be, for my beautiful wife. I was her guitar teacher so that explains how she feels about music... loves it as much as I do.

I was running with this band and she asked the other guitarist if he could teach her some stuff (she'd been playing a year or so). He declined but knew I had done lessons before and sent her my way. She loves the Beatles as much as I did, has great eclectic tastes (ska, punk, new wave, old & new Madonna, etc.) so I would show her techniques within the context of a song she digs, which would help it sink.in..

After a few months of lessons & developing a friendship I had to make the move, and we went on a date. That was 22 years ago, and we've been married 19. Whenever our contemporaries or old friends who are dating or divorced ask us "what's your secret?" we say a huge part of it was being friends first & having that bond over music.

She's always been super supportive, but doesn't blow smoke. If I've written a duffer she'll tell me. Like a lot of other guys have said recording is not her favorite, she's done it but gets impatient sometimes. She's a great singer so I will have her do backing or harmony vox on stuff.

Her major in college was theater education & she was a drama teacher for awhile. She does community theater & has been in several plays, I am always supportive of her & love going to see her.

So I know I am very, very fortunate...lots of music and positive vibes in our house.

• It is not good to be so depend

• @Mateusz said:
    It is not good to be so depend

• Lol, still messing around.good

• Me and my lady have been playing music together for a while now. Its been awesome! She just has to deal with my perfectionist ass, but shes a great singer and has no ego at all about our music(im an Egoist for sure hahah)

My 1 yr old daughter is already copying my beatboxing so the band expands

• @NoiseHorse said:
    I married her because she played Tenor sax in the jazz band and was in choir. Then she lost all interest as soon as we got hitched. She was absolutely not musically creative and used to discourage my stuff so we could spend more time “together” with me watching her while she was on Facebook.
    Now that we have had a child, she has begun singing to her, and making up goofy baby songs(plagiarizing other tunes). She is now much more open to my music stuff, especially when I throw our daughters name into the melody and make it sound pretty. Time prevails.

Good story, enjoyed that.

• Wife and daughters are not musical. They have listened to me play guitar for years, without complaint. My wife is supportive of my hobby, and recently okayed me buying a new expensive guitar. She has taken up knitting with fine wool, so has her own expenses. And we both love going to concerts. All in all, it works. Sometimes I wish I had someone who was into playing, but I'm pretty much a musical loner.

• @rickwaugh said:
    Wife and daughters are not musical. They have listened to me play guitar for years, without complaint. My wife is supportive of my hobby, and recently okayed me buying a new expensive guitar. She has taken up knitting with fine wool, so has her own expenses. And we both love going to concerts. All in all, it works. Sometimes I wish I had someone who was into playing, but I'm pretty much a musical loner.

And hey, you're getting nice sweaters. Winter's coming etc.

• This is not my beautiful house...
    This is not my beautiful wife...

I've had my fair share of girlfriends who were either supportive or unsupportive. So I'm not concerned about it. Music has always been a part of my life and nothing will change that. Nobody in their right mind should ever expect me to give up a hobby that I enjoy... and anyone that's not in their right mind won't get far before I show them the door. Everyone needs to have some time to themselves to do their own thing. Music is part of that balance.

• I suspect the wife thought it was cool that I was a musician when we first met 11 years ago, though it wasn't key to the relationship. I taught her to play bass and for a while we played out together, often with others...but she never really felt any of them played or represented the music wel (including herself)l, and actually drove most of them off. Eventually, she lost interest in playing out, decided it made her too stressed out and self-conscious, and I continued on for a while, alone and occasionally with others. Eventually, I decided playing out was too much trouble and now I just create and noodle at home. We both prefer that at this point. She doesn't enjoy the repetitive creation process at all ("can you wear your headphones?") but loves when I have something finished or nearly so. Sadly, that isn't often these days (was it ever?) and I think even she is as disappointed with me as I am in that regard. When I just play, she loves to listen but wonders why I never record it. So do I. :/ Regardless, she's always been supportive of it if occasionally somewhat jealous of the time invested. None of our 4 kids seem the slightest bit interested in playing music--a few actually have pretty terrible taste in music haha--but my daughter who is 19 did have a ball with Blocs Wave and Launchpad when I let her borrow my iPad.

• @oddSTAR said:

That's brilliant. It's all going along just as you think and then, POW! None of our 4 kids.....

• Music making, for my wife and I, is like the known mistress in an open relationship. My wife knows about her, but doesn't ask too many questions. She's curious, but respects my need for privacy. When I've invited them both to join me on the rare occasion they get along fabulously, but then they go their separate ways right after.

• Good question, never really thought to ask her....

• This mateusz guy is hilarious

• A respect for creativity is an essential in any relationship with a creative type. It’s a big part of who we are.

I recall the sad story of an old mate who was a comic book artist. Bloke had spent 20+ years developing his skills, got a gig with Marvel and would’ve gone on to greatness. Except, he became smitten by a pretty but unimaginative girl whose whole existence revolved around ‘9-5 make money, get a house, and BE NORMAL.’ He quit his creative dream to push buttons in a photocopy shop. :'(