Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is AB now an option or still an essential

Comments

• @dvlmusic said:
    I've said it in other threads, and I'll say it here as well:

AudioBus is a bus - it takes sound from point A and funnels it to point B

AUM is a mixer - it takes sound from multiple sources and sums them to a master output

This is my oversimplified answer but it was the thing that made the most sense to me. I didn't figure this out until I bought both, but YES - both are essential and for entirely different reasons.

Hope that helps.

Yes, but AUM is also a bus that takes sound from point A and funnels it to point B.

Also, you STILL can’t change effects chain order in Audiobus without ejecting/reloading. This is really what stopped me from using it when AUM came out.

• My whole workflow was previously built around AB 3, Midflow adapter, and Cubasis 2. I was able to figure out most of my routing needs, whether audio or midi. Now that I have AUM, I use it in conjuction with AB3 and Midiflow adapter (basically replace Cubasis for routing with AUM for routing). AUM has made things a lot simpler and easier to do routing-wise, but I still have AB3 in the center of my workflow, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• @oat_phipps said:

@dvlmusic said:

AUM is a mixer - it takes sound from multiple sources and sums them to a master output

This is my oversimplified answer but it was the thing that made the most sense to me. I didn't figure this out until I bought both, but YES - both are essential and for entirely different reasons.

Hope that helps.

Yes, but AUM is also a bus that takes sound from point A and funnels it to point B.

Also, you STILL can’t change effects chain order in Audiobus without ejecting/reloading. This is really what stopped me from using it when AUM came out.

As I said, an oversimplification for sure but these are their primary functions and was the easiest way for me to verbalize the difference. They definitely both do more than I described, and there is crossover in functionality - just trying to keep the difference easy to digest.

• edited November 2017

@dvlmusic said:

@oat_phipps said:

@dvlmusic said:

Hope that helps.

As I said, an oversimplification for sure but these are their primary functions and was the easiest way for me to verbalize the difference. They definitely both do more than I described, and there is crossover in functionality - just trying to keep the difference easy to digest.

Yeah, I’m just harsh on AB because of the effects chain issue, that has been glaring since before AUM came out.

Well, and because AB3 didn’t really bring anything game-changing like I’d hoped. True, AUM doesn’t have its MIDI capabilities, but the connectivity was never an issue for me, and as helpful as Doerr’s Midiflow plugins can be from time to time, they are just cheat codes. Maybe that’s harsh and I should just leave it. I know what works for me and that’s all that matters.

• I've found that if I use 'IAA-Generators' such as Roland SoundCanvas it's better to load it into AB3 feed it to an AudioTrack in Cubasis. Constantly Loading/Unloading IAA's make most hosts a 'bit shaky'...

• I'm yet to load up an audio unit, animoog as AU might change that! Also hardly touched IAA on any form. I like the iOS ecosystem as an infinite idea sketchpad. Larger project management, precision editing etc is never going to be a better experience via a touchscreen compared to using a computer...

Have been beta testing AB3, it gets a lot of updates. Stability is very important to the app and I wonder where we would be if Audiobus never happened? At least two years behind where we are now is probably a good guess!

As far as I know the devs helped ableton to get Link up and running?

• @oat_phipps said:

@dvlmusic said:

Hope that helps.

THIS... the inablitly to reorder effects KILLS me. That’s really the only reason I may not open AB3... but with that said I open it all the time because it’s still great for running everything from one screen and state saving. I would never even hesitate to open AB3 if I could reorder effects.

Both apps, for me, are amazing an essential. Only if AUM had state saving and a way to start IAA apps from its screen would it render AB3 “obsolete”, but I don’t think that’s AUM’s purpose. AUv3 us amazing and the future and all that, but I still have to load IAA if I want to use my own drum sounds (don’t even get me started on Vatanator). Thankful that AU is becoming the norm, but we are still in a transition phase. No one tool rules them all.

• Why do some apps, like Launchpad for example, show the AUM link on its screen while others don't. Is there a rhyme or reason? Or is arbitrary? Wish all the apps had that.

• @ipadthai said:
    Why do some apps, like Launchpad for example, show the AUM link on its screen while others don't. Is there a rhyme or reason? Or is arbitrary? Wish all the apps had that.

Wow, I had never noticed that on any apps. I thought that there wasn't a way, except for recording transport type of controls. The way Launchpad does it is awesome. I wish more apps did it like that.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I personally think this thread is disrespectful to the Audiobus team. It has a built in back handed insult implying that the app does not have worth or value to one degree or another and let's talk about why.

This website and forum are a value in themselves, all because of Audiobus.

I am a big believer of not shitting where I eat.

That is just me though. I don't agree with many people on most things any way.

I dont think its disrespectful at all, I think its a valid question for some people wondering if they need it, some actually might not at the end of the day. Personally I still need it for different things, my preference is Audio Units as far as synths go if Im recording a song because it's just more convenient, but for recording guitars and synths that dont support AUV3, AB all the way, sometimes over IAA because we can run things thru AB and AU supported fx. I dabble with AB as a stand alone sometimes but not as much as I thought I would.

• @iOSounddesign said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

I'll never forget the revolution Audiobus started for me. But AUv3 is the future.

I don't think it is. AU's are a great thing, and works well for some apps (Brambos) but not others (Model 15), and other apps that are IAA - such as Gadget or Cyclop would be impossible to implement without stripping out a whole load of features and functionality. Then there's all the older apps we use and love that aren't AU'd-up yet, and probably never will be.

I rarely use AU's, because I prefer having the extra functionality I get by using the whole app via IAA.

We've got both, and it's great.

What is lacking on the Model 15 AUv3 in your opinion? Are you referring to screen size/interface? With the new full screen implementation this last (and significant) problem has been addressed in my opinion. Before that, you're absolutely right.

Well if you’re on an Air 2, you’ll see that you can only run a couple of instances. Which (for me) defeats the point if using AU’s.

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

I'll never forget the revolution Audiobus started for me. But AUv3 is the future.

I don't think it is. AU's are a great thing, and works well for some apps (Brambos) but not others (Model 15), and other apps that are IAA - such as Gadget or Cyclop would be impossible to implement without stripping out a whole load of features and functionality. Then there's all the older apps we use and love that aren't AU'd-up yet, and probably never will be.

I rarely use AU's, because I prefer having the extra functionality I get by using the whole app via IAA.

Man you're the real vintage iOS music maker:)

All my correspondence is made using a quill pen on finest parchment, delivered to its recipients by swans.

• IMO the point of IAA or AUv3 or AUM or Audiobus is that we have different ways to get different things done. Hopefully nobody disagrees with that part. Which method you consider your favorite, depending on what you’re doing, is your choice. I’m glad we have choices, compared to 7 or 8 years ago. If anybody cares, Audiobus is ALWAYS the first button I push when I make music. If I need AUM I crank it up, if I need AU then great, same for IAA. I use em all. I don’t do the creation of every song the same way, I’m grateful to have different canvases to my pictures. I don’t use one DAW either, or Synth, or effect, even though there’s probably one of each that is better than all the rest. Audiobus is definitely essential to me, and so are the rest.

• Most of the time, over the past four months or so, I dont use AB, AUM and rarely any IAA. Mostly BM3, AUs and audio from vsts/hardware. For me with iOS nothing is or ever was essential. It is just constantly morphing.

• @MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

What is lacking on the Model 15 AUv3 in your opinion? Are you referring to screen size/interface? With the new full screen implementation this last (and significant) problem has been addressed in my opinion. Before that, you're absolutely right.

Well if you’re on an Air 2, you’ll see that you can only run a couple of instances. Which (for me) defeats the point if using AU’s.

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

All my correspondence is made using a quill pen on finest parchment, delivered to its recipients by swans.

Your point was, that you don't think AUv3 is the future because it lacked "extra functionality" compared to IAA. When i asked you what you mean by that, your answer is that you can only run 2-3 instances of Model 15 compared to one via IAA?

What am i missing here?

• @iOSounddesign said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

Your point was, that you don't think AUv3 is the future because it lacked "extra functionality" compared to IAA. When i asked you what you mean by that, your answer is that you can only run 2-3 instances of Model 15 compared to one via IAA?

What am i missing here?

I haven't got the energy to argue with you, you win, it's the future, goodnight.

• edited November 2017

@AudioGus said:
    Most of the time, over the past four months or so, I dont use AB, AUM and rarely any IAA. Mostly BM3, AUs and audio from vsts/hardware. For me with iOS nothing is or ever was essential. It is just constantly morphing.

This is the truest response I’ve read. My allegiance to AUM would quickly shift if something better came along, just as it did with Audiobus. I can still be thankful towards the developers for the time they DID allow me to do things easier than any other app, as I am with AB. But I don’t expect devs to cater to what works best for me, so nor do I have a problem with switching if something better comes along.

Edit: I’ve yet to try BM3 but I’m still interested based on the hype. Does it do audio tracks?

• @oat_phipps said:

@AudioGus said:
    Most of the time, over the past four months or so, I dont use AB, AUM and rarely any IAA. Mostly BM3, AUs and audio from vsts/hardware. For me with iOS nothing is or ever was essential. It is just constantly morphing.

This is the truest response I’ve read. My allegiance to AUM would quickly shift if something better came along, just as it did with Audiobus. I can still be thankful towards the developers for the time they DID allow me to do things easier than any other app, as I am with AB. But I don’t expect devs to cater to what works best for me, so nor do I have a problem with switching if something better comes along.

Edit: I’ve yet to try BM3 but I’m still interested based on the hype. Does it do audio tracks?

BM3 does do audio tracks but it is very basic and I never use them. The sampler handles audio of varying lengths and conditions fantastically well... The sampler is where I do all of my ''audio track'' related duties. It is hard to describe really but I can see why the audio track functionality it has is basic and limited, simply because the sampler handles things so well. Again, hard to describe, but I do love it.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    IMO the point of IAA or AUv3 or AUM or Audiobus is that we have different ways to get different things done. Hopefully nobody disagrees with that part. Which method you consider your favorite, depending on what you’re doing, is your choice. I’m glad we have choices, compared to 7 or 8 years ago. If anybody cares, Audiobus is ALWAYS the first button I push when I make music. If I need AUM I crank it up, if I need AU then great, same for IAA. I use em all. I don’t do the creation of every song the same way, I’m grateful to have different canvases to my pictures. I don’t use one DAW either, or Synth, or effect, even though there’s probably one of each that is better than all the rest. Audiobus is definitely essential to me, and so are the rest.

+1

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I use it every day.

Ditto.

Dildo. I use it every day :smile:

• @Kühl said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I use it every day.

Ditto.

Dildo. I use it every day :smile:

Ummmmm. What did you call him?

• I still use AudioBus all the time for getting guitar, bass, and keyboard/synth tracks into Auria. I haven’t had the need for anything else as of yet.

• @MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@MonzoPro said:

@iOSounddesign said:

Very good Captain Monz.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I personally think this thread is disrespectful to the Audiobus team. It has a built in back handed insult implying that the app does not have worth or value to one degree or another and let's talk about why.

This website and forum are a value in themselves, all because of Audiobus.

I am a big believer of not shitting where I eat.

>

Agree totally.

• @InfoCheck said:
    Definitely enjoy combining AB3 and AUM to leverage the strengths of each. Having an all MIDI setup in AB3 with the MIDI routed to AUM which hosts the audio apps and routes the AB3 MIDI to them works well and saves the state of the MIDI setup and all AU apps hosted in AUM. I can load a very complex setup by loading it from an AB3 preset. AB3 MIDI effects are great and controlling AU MIDI parameters in AUM along with controlling bus send levels, mute, solo, channel volume and other aspects of AUM is fantastic. You can also set MIDI parameter ranges in AUM as well. AB Remote can be very handy for switching or controlling apps.

This +1.

• Whenever i need several apps to connect (outside of AU) i use AB 3. AUM, on the other hand, sees almost no use from me

• Was thinking last night, back to the days when an app would get released without AB on the initial version. This forum would freak out “ no bus- no sale”

Those days are long gone, most apps release with AB and IAA by default

You are more likely to hear complaints about “no link”.

I predict it’s gonna be more of a case of “no AUV3- no sale”

AB is not as essential as it used to be because link and AUV3 now exist.

It’s an option that many prefer granted:)

• @Love3quency said:

AB is not as essential as it used to be because link and AUV3 now exist.

You could argue the same for IAA, or AU3. For me they're all elements of a greater thing, and allow me to connect a wide range of apps that I would otherwise be unable to do so. They're all essentials.

• I think I should clarify

By essential I mean- impossible to live/ create without

AB is now one of a few choices, if it didn’t exist, it still is possible to make great iOS music. Actually it was possible beforehand with acp from app to app. AB made things more convenient and faster, so does IAA/ link/ AUV3

AB is essential for many, simply because they prefer, and are used to using it. Some on this thread have said they now only use AUV3, some say they use it all

It’s just that we now have options, beforehand we didn’t, just AB.

AB provoked Apple to provide options that don’t depend on, but can include AB if so desired

• It's a fair question. AB will be relevant for a couple more years I think.

• @Love3quency said:
    I think I should clarify

By essential I mean- impossible to live/ create without

AB is now one of a few choices, if it didn’t exist, it still is possible to make great iOS music. Actually it was possible beforehand with acp from app to app. AB made things more convenient and faster, so does IAA/ link/ AUV3

AB is essential for many, simply because they prefer, and are used to using it. Some on this thread have said they now only use AUV3, some say they use it all

It’s just that we now have options, beforehand we didn’t, just AB.

AB provoked Apple to provide options that don’t depend on, but can include AB if so desired

I think you help make the case that nothing is essential, you can create music with or without all of these wonderful tools. As with all life, an individual’s workflow and preferences will prioritise the importance and usefulesness of the tools or processes available. Personally I use all the tools for all different purposes, AB for chaining, AUM for mixing - both are AUv3 hosts, lovely