Elektron p-lock

Anyone owning an Elektron machine care to elaborate what this is? I have trigger conditions in Quantum, don't want to miss out providing something else useful but don't own these myself....

«1

Comments

  • 38 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • @crifytosp said:

    yeah - but is it locking a parameter or automating it (which is the opposite of locked)? Trying to understand how its used...

  • Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

  • edited November 12 Vote Up0

    @ALB said:
    Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

    so you basically use it to select steps to apply changes to (automation by twiddling say) allowing the rest to remain unchanged? Sounds like I have this already in Quantum then by using select & fader moves or step option changes just to selected steps..

  • Yes, pretty much. Every time the sequencer hits that step, the values temporarily jump to what you’ve set them to be with the p-lock, regardless of the ‘main’ settings. Set the pitch for that step, then twiddle the pitch knob and all of the normal notes will change as you twiddle, but that step you’ve locked will always jump back to that note. That pitch, that cutoff, that resonance etc. Whatever you’ve set up. It applies for everything you can change, pretty much, and means you can do a lot of different things with one sequence. Bassline, melody and drums can all be on the same track for instance. Are your select/fader changes protected from linked/global changes? If so, it sounds like you’re there.

  • @tomato_juice said:
    Yes, pretty much. Every time the sequencer hits that step, the values temporarily jump to what you’ve set them to be with the p-lock, regardless of the ‘main’ settings. Set the pitch for that step, then twiddle the pitch knob and all of the normal notes will change as you twiddle, but that step you’ve locked will always jump back to that note. That pitch, that cutoff, that resonance etc. Whatever you’ve set up. It applies for everything you can change, pretty much, and means you can do a lot of different things with one sequence. Bassline, melody and drums can all be on the same track for instance. Are your select/fader changes protected from linked/global changes? If so, it sounds like you’re there.

    From your description though it sounds like this is a temporary override on a parameter though (much like a pitchbend wheel is an adjustment to pitch until you let it go) - so the locked means 'protect & restore after your adjustment stops - i.e. you stop twisting that control'?

    my method is actually altering/editing the values - although you can do this during a performance - as a means of making more than one step change at once.

  • @midiSequencer said:

    @tomato_juice said:
    Yes, pretty much. Every time the sequencer hits that step, the values temporarily jump to what you’ve set them to be with the p-lock, regardless of the ‘main’ settings. Set the pitch for that step, then twiddle the pitch knob and all of the normal notes will change as you twiddle, but that step you’ve locked will always jump back to that note. That pitch, that cutoff, that resonance etc. Whatever you’ve set up. It applies for everything you can change, pretty much, and means you can do a lot of different things with one sequence. Bassline, melody and drums can all be on the same track for instance. Are your select/fader changes protected from linked/global changes? If so, it sounds like you’re there.

    From your description though it sounds like this is a temporary override on a parameter though (much like a pitchbend wheel is an adjustment to pitch until you let it go) - so the locked means 'protect & restore after your adjustment stops - i.e. you stop twisting that control'?

    my method is actually altering/editing the values - although you can do this during a performance - as a means of making more than one step change at once.

    No it’s permanent unless you want it to go back to the default value by tapping on the knob twice while holding down that step button.

  • @ALB said:
    No it’s permanent unless you want it to go back to the default value by tapping on the knob twice while holding down that step button.

    ah , so two state - going to have to look at some more videos then. Thx for the replies everyone....

  • @midiSequencer said:

    @ALB said:
    No it’s permanent unless you want it to go back to the default value by tapping on the knob twice while holding down that step button.

    ah , so two state - going to have to look at some more videos then. Thx for the replies everyone....

    It’s like @ALB says - a fixed change for just that selected step until you change it yourself, either returning the step to to default settings by cancelling the p-lock, or changing parameters to different p-lock settings.

    Parameter locks outrank ‘standard’ step conditions.

  • The beauty of Elektron machines is that you have the sequencer running and hit track one with BD for example. Put 4x4 beats.
    Now you push and hold one note and select any function available on your machine, be it a different sample, FX, when and how it will play, repeat, where the sample starts, direction of playing, looping etc. etc...

    All that is done while the sequencer is running, with the possibility to save pattern, P-locks etc, or return to original sequence as you first saved it...with a simple Shift/NO.

  • @soundklinik said:
    The beauty of Elektron machines is that you have the sequencer running and hit track one with BD for example. Put 4x4 beats.
    Now you push and hold one note and select any function available on your machine, be it a different sample, FX, when and how it will play, repeat, where the sample starts, direction of playing, looping etc. etc...

    All that is done while the sequencer is running, with the possibility to save pattern, P-locks etc, or return to original sequence as you first saved it...with a simple Shift/NO.

    This.

  • I should also mention another cool feature that Elektron implements: on another screen you can have the values slide from one triggered step to the next triggered step.

  • It's like step based motion sequencing on the Korg mini or Monologue if you're familiar with either of those. Quantum very much already does this, being a 'step first' sequencer.

    What neither elektron, Korg or Quantum allow for is probabilty on the 'locked' parameter. In Q, that might look like probability that the delay midi effect will happen. Or that ratcheting will happen...

  • You can, among other things, have a different sample on each step (in the Digitakt at least). So a 64 step pattern could have 64 different samples, each doing some motion-sequencing-like thing if you wish. And you can have a different patch for each step when using the external MIDI sequencer. You could create loops that would drive any sane person crazy.

  • important thing is what happens after the step, which is a return to the prior state

  • I am an Elektron baby but I can say P-locks are one of my most inspiring, fun ways to add nice subtle variation (or extreme fockery) to my lo fi hip hop beats.

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @syrupcore said:

    What neither elektron, Korg or Quantum allow for is probabilty on the 'locked' parameter. In Q, that might look like probability that the delay midi effect will happen. Or that ratcheting will happen...

    There's a few workarounds that some folk on the Elektron forum have posted examples of.

    https://www.elektronauts.com/t/conditional-locks-more-details-tutorials-on-usage/30235/18

  • So after you p-locked a couple steps, and the rest are unchanged, what happens, ideally, when you move the knob? Naturally, all of the un p-locked steps move together with the knob's setting, but do the p-locked steps move too, just in a scaled way, like shifting a whole section of automation up or down, or do the p-locked steps stay stuck like glue, to their setting.

    Like, if you are P-locking the pitch of a drum, and then afterward, you move the pitch knob, does it transpose the whole pattern, or just the steps you didn't p-lock?

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @Processaurus said:
    So after you p-locked a couple steps, and the rest are unchanged, what happens, ideally, when you move the knob? Naturally, all of the un p-locked steps move together with the knob's setting, but do the p-locked steps move too, just in a scaled way, like shifting a whole section of automation up or down, or do the p-locked steps stay stuck like glue, to their setting.

    Like, if you are P-locking the pitch of a drum, and then afterward, you move the pitch knob, does it transpose the whole pattern, or just the steps you didn't p-lock?

    Those that you locked stay locked temporarily (in buffer)
    If you move any control, for example pitch, it will change pitch on non p-locked steps, relative to their settings.
    If you recorded the movement of pitch control over 16 steps (by push/hold rec. and play together, rec. blinks red) and record the modulation over the whole track it will over-write itself on each pass. If you exit that mode, those steps that recorded tweaks will be green= recorded modulation regardless if there is a note or not, where is a note are red with tweak recorded.
    Honestly I don’t know if it overrides the p-locked steps...Will try that.

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @midiSequencer said:

    @ALB said:
    Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

    so you basically use it to select steps to apply changes to (automation by twiddling say) allowing the rest to remain unchanged? Sounds like I have this already in Quantum then by using select & fader moves or step option changes just to selected steps..

    You got it in one :) although p-locks are temporary changes. When it goes to the next step it goes back to whatever settings those parameters are on.

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @gonekrazy3000 said:

    @midiSequencer said:

    @ALB said:
    Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

    so you basically use it to select steps to apply changes to (automation by twiddling say) allowing the rest to remain unchanged? Sounds like I have this already in Quantum then by using select & fader moves or step option changes just to selected steps..

    You got it in one :) although p-locks are temporary changes. When it goes to the next step it goes back to whatever settings those parameters are on.

    Yes, I'm going to implement an elastic parameter change - one you can tweak during a performance but not keep(so it will spring back to the old value when moving onto the next step). You will be able to select multi-steps & bend them... :) The p-lock will then be the return to original (if I've understood all so far).

    Its one of three things I'm working on now - p-lock, drawable lfos(that can also modulate sequence/part parameters or just output cos) & user scales.

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @midiSequencer said:

    @gonekrazy3000 said:

    @midiSequencer said:

    @ALB said:
    Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

    so you basically use it to select steps to apply changes to (automation by twiddling say) allowing the rest to remain unchanged? Sounds like I have this already in Quantum then by using select & fader moves or step option changes just to selected steps..

    You got it in one :) although p-locks are temporary changes. When it goes to the next step it goes back to whatever settings those parameters are on.

    Yes, I'm going to implement an elastic parameter change - one you can tweak during a performance but not keep(so it will spring back to the old value when moving onto the next step). You will be able to select multi-steps & bend them... :) The p-lock will then be the return to original (if I've understood all so far).

    Its one of three things I'm working on now - p-lock, drawable lfos(that can also modulate sequence/part parameters or just output cos) & user scales.

    Awesome. You've pretty much got what a plock is I think. Btw. While I have you. Could you maybe point me in the direction of pattern chaining ? Like if I want a sequence to play 1->1->1>1>3>1>2>3>2. How would I go about achieving this ? I've read the manual but I'm starting to think I'm a bit slow.

  • @midiSequencer said:

    @gonekrazy3000 said:

    @midiSequencer said:

    @ALB said:
    Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

    so you basically use it to select steps to apply changes to (automation by twiddling say) allowing the rest to remain unchanged? Sounds like I have this already in Quantum then by using select & fader moves or step option changes just to selected steps..

    You got it in one :) although p-locks are temporary changes. When it goes to the next step it goes back to whatever settings those parameters are on.

    Yes, I'm going to implement an elastic parameter change - one you can tweak during a performance but not keep(so it will spring back to the old value when moving onto the next step). You will be able to select multi-steps & bend them... :) The p-lock will then be the return to original (if I've understood all so far).

    Its one of three things I'm working on now - p-lock, drawable lfos(that can also modulate sequence/part parameters or just output cos) & user scales.

    Ahhh, I was a little confused regarding the use of the word "temporary" when describing p-locks in one of your previous posts. In the Elektron universe (as well as some other drum apps on IOS), if a step is "locked" in regard to a particular parameter, it will continue to be locked, but only for that step (unless the user wishes to return it to the default setting later).

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    @ALB said:

    @midiSequencer said:

    @gonekrazy3000 said:

    @midiSequencer said:

    @ALB said:
    Hey @midiSequencer - you press a step button and then change a knob or knobs. The change is then triggered for just that step. Does this help?

    so you basically use it to select steps to apply changes to (automation by twiddling say) allowing the rest to remain unchanged? Sounds like I have this already in Quantum then by using select & fader moves or step option changes just to selected steps..

    You got it in one :) although p-locks are temporary changes. When it goes to the next step it goes back to whatever settings those parameters are on.

    Yes, I'm going to implement an elastic parameter change - one you can tweak during a performance but not keep(so it will spring back to the old value when moving onto the next step). You will be able to select multi-steps & bend them... :) The p-lock will then be the return to original (if I've understood all so far).

    Its one of three things I'm working on now - p-lock, drawable lfos(that can also modulate sequence/part parameters or just output cos) & user scales.

    Ahhh, I was a little confused regarding the use of the word "temporary" when describing p-locks in one of your previous posts. In the Elektron universe (as well as some other drum apps on IOS), if a step is "locked" in regard to a particular parameter, it will continue to be locked, but only for that step (unless the user wishes to return it to the default setting later).

    Actually @midiSequencer this is what a plock is. The parameters jump to the original values on the next step but that particular step stays on whatever you set it to. So if step 8 and 10 had cc 11 at say 100 and step 9 had it set to 127 it would jump only on step 9. I think you can also select if the jump is immediate or smooth.

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    You can see a good example of plocks here in J74 steplockers implementation:-

    https://youtu.be/WTvDQTD2v6U

    Hope this helps @midiSequencer

  • @midisequencer - Leaving Elektron gear aside, parameter locks are also available in Elastic Drums, Seek Beats, MV808 and Ton - all IOS apps. I hope that this helps and does not cause further confusion!

  • edited November 13 Vote Up0

    Yes, a P-Lock is a permanent change to a specific step. But the values return to normal as soon as the next step is played. Even cooler with conditional trigs in the mix!

    Tony, P-Locks would be AWESOME in Quantum.

  • @gonekrazy3000 said:

    Awesome. You've pretty much got what a plock is I think. Btw. While I have you. Could you maybe point me in the direction of pattern chaining ? Like if I want a sequence to play 1->1->1>1>3>1>2>3>2. How would I go about achieving this ? I've read the manual but I'm starting to think I'm a bit slow.

    actions (loop x & start+stop)

  • @midiSequencer said:

    @gonekrazy3000 said:

    Awesome. You've pretty much got what a plock is I think. Btw. While I have you. Could you maybe point me in the direction of pattern chaining ? Like if I want a sequence to play 1->1->1>1>3>1>2>3>2. How would I go about achieving this ? I've read the manual but I'm starting to think I'm a bit slow.

    actions (loop x & start+stop)

    I still don’t get how to do it. Maybe a few photos could help ?

  • Hmm. Seems like what I’m looking for is load relative part.
    I guess I was just hopin quantum could chain sequences like how there beatstep pro does in its new firmware:- https://youtu.be/T_HJ6d-cd8o

Sign In or Register to comment.