Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Few things with KRFT

I love KFT and have been getting back into it on the mobile.

My plan is to use it ‘live’ in conjunction with Loopy. This would mean I can throw an 8 bar loop into Loopy, then change to a new surface in KRFT, mix in the new track, kill the Loopy loop, rinse and repeat in order to perform a continuous session of different KFT tracks.

Couple of issues I’ve found with KRFT below. Anyone else run into these?

• playing chords with the chord keyboard now seems to create a strum rather than a clean chord with all notes played at the same time. Any way round this?

• the sustain and decay on the envelope seem a bit weird/broken. Is this an amp envelope? I can’t get the decay and sustain to be very short/low in order to produce a nice ‘pluck’ sound with a low sustain and a low release.

• you get an audio glitch when exiting a surface and loading a new surface. Maybe this is unavoidable, but if it could be resolved it would be much better re:my plan above of moving from surface to surface live.

Any ideas anyone? @Alex fox ?

Comments

• Not sure about the others but strum is a feature :) you can turn it off. Give me a second ....

• Found it! Make chord spread 0 in keyboard settings.

Good luck with the other.

• Was very taken with KRFT but then got distracted and have now forgotten the little I'd learned (how often does that happen!). Need to get back to it....

• @Richtowns said:
    Found it! Make chord spread 0 in keyboard settings.

Good luck with the other.

Oh, brilliant. Thanks.

One down, two to go.

The synth is now really good and you can make/save your own presets from an int patch. But I can’t seem to figure out the sustain and decay on the envelope.

• The transforms in KRFT are just so much fun. They get me out of any creative rut with a pattern I might find myself in. Throw in a couple of the "explode" playing surfaces and endless jamming fun. This app has been beamed in from the future--the world just hasn't caught up...

• Yep. I love it.

Shame it’s not possible to get any midi into it. But even so, I can work around that.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Yep. I love it.

Shame it’s not possible to get any midi into it. But even so, I can work around that.

MIDI in or MIDI record would really help with workflow, no doubt.

• Yeah I’ve been using KRFT never stopped loving it cause i actually love the strum feature it’s actually my fav. I can send midi to Zeeon and make it sound like a guitar!

• This thread got me back into KRFT...g-ddamn this app got even more amazing when I wasn't looking.

• I love KRFT too. Haven't been using as much as I like lately. I do find the internal synth a little weak personally. I'm currently putting some tracks together in both BM3 and GarageBand that started in KRFT - and those synth lines I recorded directly from KRFT into AUM don't stand up next to other synth apps in direct comparison. They don't cut through in the mix too well. But midi out makes it pretty much a non issue.

• edited November 2017

@Littlewoodg said:
    This thread got me back into KRFT...g-ddamn this app got even more amazing when I wasn't looking.

Yep. I’m currently thinking of using it as a complete live groove box. Kind of like an iOS version of Circuit.

Then just pairing with Loopy (and controlling Loopy via midi from KRFT) so as to bridge the gap when moving on to a new track(‘surface’) and maybe a multi-effect app at the end of the chain that has midi control (so I can control it from KRFT) like echopad (there aren’t many to choose from on iPhone).

Then jamming a whole multi-choon session.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Was very taken with KRFT but then got distracted and have now forgotten the little I'd learned (how often does that happen!). Need to get back to it....

Do it :). It’s pretty fun, and can be operated with one hand.

• @Halftone said:
    I love KRFT too. Haven't been using as much as I like lately. I do find the internal synth a little weak personally. I'm currently putting some tracks together in both BM3 and GarageBand that started in KRFT - and those synth lines I recorded directly from KRFT into AUM don't stand up next to other synth apps in direct comparison. They don't cut through in the mix too well. But midi out makes it pretty much a non issue.

Well it seems to have no limit to the number of synth instances you can run side by side - so I guess it’s pretty heavily optimised.

• I agree, the neat thing is that once you get templates going all you have to do is fire it up and get creative. But I love that it doesn’t stop there, you got midi out to drive all the synths you can.

Midi question though:

I noticed that in AB3 we have KRFT midi ports 1-8. And with each 1-16 midi channels right? Or is just 8 midi channels?

I’m confused though, I’ve set KRFT to send midi via KRFT 1

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Halftone said:
    I love KRFT too. Haven't been using as much as I like lately. I do find the internal synth a little weak personally. I'm currently putting some tracks together in both BM3 and GarageBand that started in KRFT - and those synth lines I recorded directly from KRFT into AUM don't stand up next to other synth apps in direct comparison. They don't cut through in the mix too well. But midi out makes it pretty much a non issue.

Well it seems to have no limit to the number of synth instances you can run side by side - so I guess it’s pretty heavily optimised.