Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Least obsoletable bit of 21st century equipment

Comments

• @u0421793 said:
    How long do we think the Novation Circuit will still attract attention – I suspect a very long time, as long as any internal backup batteries hold up without leaking. A lot of the late 90s grooveboxes such as the MC-303 are still up and running today, so I don’t see why not.

Yeah I'm sure the Circuit will be around for a long time. Speaking of Grooveboxes, I recently bought a Roland MC-303 that I sold to a friend, and a Roland JP-8080 that I bought last winter. I replaced the internal battery on both units. Funny thing was the JP-8080's battery was still good, and it was the original, marked with a 98 on it, indicating the year. It's hard to believe that synth is about to be 20 years old. It felt like yesterday when it first hit the market.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Flip phone? My dad still uses one

>

I’d love one of those, with a modern Android screen etc. The old Motorola Razor was iconic, and made me feel like I was using a Star Trek communicator. ;)

• @BiancaNeve said:

Nope that’s 20th century tech.

Also, it’s not Tuesday.

• iPhone 4/S & iPod touch 6g as one trick pony embedding platform.
    Technics turntables.
    MPC and some Roland SP samplers. Also oldest like sp-12 and so.
    Some audio mixers like Rodec.
    Behringer bcf2000 & bcr2000.
    Roland Space echo and stuff like that for dub lovers.
    Synths being lately ome of the revivals alongside vinyl...

At the end it’s more a matter of user curating the gear than gear itself. Even being expensive or fragile when gear lovers want to keep something alive you can find dedicated shops like mpcstuff and similar making business.

• edited November 2017

Imagine the 21st century tech equivalent of the DC3:
    ">https://flyinginireland.com/2017/07/aer-lingus-unveil-douglas-dc-3-painted-in-1950s-colours/

• Electribe ER-1 c2000. Running very nicely.

(Does it have an internal battery I need to worry about?)

• @Dubbylabby said:
    iPhone 4/S & iPod touch 6g as one trick pony embedding platform.
    Technics turntables.
    MPC and some Roland SP samplers. Also oldest like sp-12 and so.
    Some audio mixers like Rodec.
    Behringer bcf2000 & bcr2000.
    Roland Space echo and stuff like that for dub lovers.
    Synths being lately ome of the revivals alongside vinyl...

At the end it’s more a matter of user curating the gear than gear itself. Even being expensive or fragile when gear lovers want to keep something alive you can find dedicated shops like mpcstuff and similar making business.

@BiancaNeve said:

Nope that’s 20th century tech.

Shit! 21th! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm most of my list were released before :bawling:

• Any well made Guitar

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Electribe ER-1 c2000. Running very nicely.

The ER-1 was released in 1999. I owned that and the EA -1 when they came out. Wish I still owned them.

• @Rich303 said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

The ER-1 was released in 1999. I owned that and the EA -1 when they came out. Wish I still owned them.

I guess on another rainy day we should have a 'that which I never ever should have forsaken' thread...

• It's hard to come up with 21st century tech. Lots of 20th century tech fabricated in the oughts is still kicking strong but that feels like a different question.

@u0421793 said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@u0421793 said:
    Well, that’s a lot of help without the model number! Which freezer, electric razor, flip phone, chromebook, flat screen tv and iPad 2. Oh wait, you said - iPad 2. Yep, that makes sense, mine’s still kicking, and was the subject of some iMS-20ing the other day on the train.

I think software should be considered as well, and as an IT-guy i still encounter Windows XP machines. Longest running OS, will never be surpassed!

Ah well, I use Vim, which isn’t even 21st century.

:%s/Vim/the best editor ever/g

• I use my “ancient” iPod touch (first gen I think) daily.

Super useful for all kinds of stuff.

Started my iOS musical journey on it when I discovered ThumbJam.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Rich303 said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

I guess on another rainy day we should have a 'that which I never ever should have forsaken' thread...

Yeah, I've been through quite a bit of gear over the past 20 years. It would be interesting to read about what everyone else had bought and sold as well.

• @syrupcore said:
    It's hard to come up with 21st century tech. Lots of 20th century tech fabricated in the oughts is still kicking strong but that feels like a different question.

@u0421793 said:

@iOSounddesign said:

@u0421793 said:
    Well, that’s a lot of help without the model number! Which freezer, electric razor, flip phone, chromebook, flat screen tv and iPad 2. Oh wait, you said - iPad 2. Yep, that makes sense, mine’s still kicking, and was the subject of some iMS-20ing the other day on the train.

I think software should be considered as well, and as an IT-guy i still encounter Windows XP machines. Longest running OS, will never be surpassed!

Ah there lies the wubwubwub.

I think we’ve all somehow surrendered to letting this one slip by us unnoticed. I mean, in the 20th century we all knew about built in obsolescence and short useful life cycles and disposability and all those bad things. Products were bought and which broke or fell apart or just plain expired, and we shrugged and carried on a bit wiser and spent a bit more next time to avoid it. Not everything was junk, a lot of things were, but not everything – you innately knew that the more you spent the less fashionable it would be and correspondingly the longer it would stay with you and the more maintainable it would be.

I think around the very late 90s and the insanity of Y2K and prince’s 1999 and all that, we somehow slipped into a trance whereby we allowed pretty much everything to have a short fashionable lifecycle, no matter the cost, no matter the maintainability, and no matter the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide the solutions we pay them for. This in itself isn’t the focus of the discussion – we know all this, and we know we’ve been shafted up the arse by the distracting appeal of globalised manufacturing.

The focus of the discussion is – which of those product lines have escaped this process, to the surprise of the manufacturer and designer, and to the joy of the consumer. A bit like an assembly line of robots, one of them has some random event occur to it, a fly falling into the typewriter, to allow it to take on sentient identity – or in this case, a respectable useful lifetime.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I use my “ancient” iPod touch (first gen I think) daily.

Super useful for all kinds of stuff.

Started my iOS musical journey on it when I discovered ThumbJam.

I'd still be using my iPod Classic everyday if I could be bothered to get the headphone socket repaired.

I started my iOS journey on an iPod Touch too, 4th gen I think, single core so no AB or anything like that...

• The large scale hadron collider

• A vacuum cleaner.

• Obsolescence is only because something new took the old one's place. A 15 year old boat anchor computer running XP would remain a prized possession, if they stopped making computers 15 years ago. People would give them fresh paint jobs, and recap them.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    A vacuum cleaner.

Paired with this!

• @CracklePot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    A vacuum cleaner.

Paired with this!

Someone out there is getting a lot of social mileage by being able to rightfully claim "yes, I was the kid in the flowbee ad." I should like to meet him.

• @syrupcore said:

@CracklePot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    A vacuum cleaner.

Paired with this!

Someone out there is getting a lot of social mileage by being able to rightfully claim "yes, I was the kid in the flowbee ad." I should like to meet him.

My scam was claiming to be the guy on the back cover of Kiss Alive.

• edited November 2017

@u0421793 said:
    I’ve never had an iPhone, but is there any particular model of those that people hung on to, or still hang on to, beyond expectations?

As far as I can stretch it out I will ALWAYS have an iPhone. I don’t even have to screw around with other makes because I am already sold on the iPhone. Whether a music production suite needs to be on an extremely portable device is a question for the ages, but I personally could not be happier than to ditch my old XP-50.

• @u0421793 said:
    Which model of which kind of modern equipment that we’ve seen within the 21st century do you think has the longest sustainable period of useful life? (Or perhaps ‘had’, if it is now obsolete but had a long duration of being ‘current’ enough to use when it had its day).

It occurs to me that almost anything you could buy that has a cpu and display and a few buttons is guaranteed such a short life of usefulness that it’s embarassing. We all know that. However, there must be some hidden gems in there, some sleepers, some surprisingly long durations of obsolescence-dodging.

Mac Pro 2008 silver tower, still running like a workhorse, with macOS and Windows in a window...

Almost as good as my old Amiga 500 :smile:

• edited November 2017

My HH Simonsen Wet2Dry hair tong should last me a lifetime I reckon. It's built like a tank.

Other than that and good hardware drum machines / samplers / synths (Clavia, Elektron, SP-x0x series, Electribes etc), all the long-lasting tech that I can think of are from the previous century: My old 1986 Atari running black-and-white Cubase from a floppy disk is still going strong (take that Apple!), and so does my old Technics SL-1210MK2 deck and Philips D6350 cassette recorder/player (adjustable pitch!). Also got an old 80's dictaphone my dad brought me back from Japan that still works and looks as new. People knew how (or rather strived) to build things to last back then.

Actually, Arduinos are pretty solid. They never go obsolete. You can still use the 1st gen ones just as well as the new ones.

Oh, and the Nokia 3310. They still work great!

• @oat_phipps said:
    Flip phone? My dad still uses one

hmmm.... I wonder how old yer pa is? I got a slider phone lg. And a flip phone as a back up. lol. I've never had one of them there smart phone thingies.

But, I would agree, flip/slider phone, or........we still use our VCR...Prob. at least twice a week if not more.