Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Digital AU Synth

Hi guys,

it probably was asked a thousand times but you might help me..

I‘m in need of a digital sounding AU Synth. Preferably something that has about the same quality as Sunrizer.
Currently I have Zeeon but it‘s too damn analog sounding. Either it has an analog warmness to it or it just sounds noisy if I EQ it.
Please don’t be like „virtual-analog is better sounding“ - first it depends on the genre, second it is your opinion and third - in that case I want a clean digital trippy sound.
Yah, that’s about it.
Hope you are able to help me and thanks. BTW this forum is great!

Comments

• Redshrike or Animoog and wait for AU

• You're basically asking for something that sounds like an fm synth I think. Any other examples other than sunrizer ?

• Virtual analog is better sounding ;)

• PhaseMaker is one of my favourite digital AU synths and cuts through a mix really well :)

• Z3ta+ and Nave. Got both. All of these have their strengths. But Sunrizer is the only synth which suits my needs in that case. If you want I can send you a patch and you could take a look at something that does that with about the same quality. :smile:
    @gonekrazy3000

• I don't own it, but I had interest in NFM.
    NFM by Nikolozi Pty Ltd
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nfm/id1247473972?mt=8

• If you are looking for an AU like Sunrizer then a I highly recommend Poison-202 from JimAudio.

• @Artmuzz said:
    If you are looking for an AU like Sunrizer then a I highly recommend Poison-202 from JimAudio.

+1 It's one of my most used AUv3 :)

• Addictive pro. Pain in the arse to program but if you say AU+digital is what it comes to mind. Or phasemaker. Or Wolfgang palm’s if you want to go the wavetable way

• Thanks!
    NFM looks a bit weird. The demo was nice though.
    Addictive looks more like a wavetable-fm-synth. Don’t know if I could use that to my advantage :smiley:
    Phasemaker seems cool. Bram Bos was top notch stuff right?
    Poison is virtual-analog :neutral:
    Redshrike reads like an analog novel

• @OhmAgar said:
    Thanks!
    Addictive looks more like a wavetable-fm-synth. Don’t know if I could use that to my advantage :smiley:

PPG WaveMapper is a great digital wave table synth with an easy way to make more sounds. Might be an option if you don’t fancy going too in-depth with digital synths, as many of them are either more complex or downright alien when compared to subtractive (analog) synthesis

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@OhmAgar said:
    Thanks!

PPG WaveMapper is a great digital wave table synth with an easy way to make more sounds. Might be an option if you don’t fancy going too in-depth with digital synths, as many of them are either more complex or downright alien when compared to subtractive (analog) synthesis

Well I don’t have a problem with wavetable-synthesis. I design some decent pads and sometimes leads with it. I just don’t like to go through all that importing my WT into it, changing travel and spectrum, starting point, EG and LFO. But now that I think about it it is fun and I have full control.
    Soo.. I‘ll probably buy Addictive. Thanks!

• @OhmAgar said:

Well I don’t have a problem with wavetable-synthesis. I design some decent pads and sometimes leads with it. I just don’t like to go through all that importing my WT into it, changing travel and spectrum, starting point, EG and LFO. But now that I think about it it is fun and I have full control.
    Soo.. I‘ll probably buy Addictive. Thanks!

I love Addictive Pro as well but for pure 'time killing' I really enjoy Wolfgang's apps.

They are pretty deed and all work well together making it easy to exchange stuff between them.
    WaveGenerator has all the 'wave-tables' from the original PPG synths for some truly digital grit :)

• edited November 2017

DRC has a nice sound of this type.

Never mind not AU

• If I can recommend a competitor's product I would put a vote in for Audiodamage Phosphor 2. It could do with some extra presets, but it is very digital in a good way :)

• @brambos said:
    If I can recommend a competitor's product I would put a vote in for Audiodamage Phosphor 2. It could do with some extra presets, but it is very digital in a good way :)

Especially with the 'space invaders' enabled :)
    (The 'original' allowed the user to hand-draw the wave-forms while Phosphor 2 does it with 'partials').

• I second phosphor2. It can be quite digital. Also Phasemaker.

• edited November 2017

I find it interesting that the headline of the post is for a digital AU synth and some of you recommend synths that either aren't AU or are analog-sounding, like Poison. Maybe what's confusing about it is that @OhmAgar says he wants it to have "the quality of Sunrizer," which is of course an emulation of the Roland JP-8000.

These are all good AU apps that sound digital IMO.

FM
    Phasemaker
    Phosphor 2
    FM Essential (free, and easy to unlock at a music store)
    NFM

Wavetable
    PPG Wavemapper
    Addictive Pro

Laplace (digital sounding, to my ears)

• Well the JP-8000 was technically a digital synth. And while it was trying to model analog, a lot of the features that people now love are arguably due to it failing to properly model analog :wink:

@OhmAgar
    It heavily depends upon the genre of music you want to make, and the type of instrument you're after. I'm guessing EDM/trance? In which case Poison will give you the sound you're after (and has a lot of great presets with that sound). I'd also look at SugarBytes Cyclop if you want a really harsh digital bass sound. Unfortunately it's not an AU (though maybe that's coming for IOS11), but there's nothing quite like on the iPad if that's your thing. Also FM synthesis is great for that Skrillex and NiN type sound. @brambos is apparently too nice to recommend his excellent synth so I'll do it @OhmAgar

• With quality I meant the sound engine :smile:
    And you got a potent FM.
    thanks for the FM Essential!
    Currently split between Phasemaker and Phosphor2.
    Which is more potent in creating a trippy high-frequency thingy?

@cian Well, I‘m heavily into psytrance which is a lot more mindbending and that‘s what I‘m after. Bass is covered with a simple Z3ta+Patch.
    - 1:20 both of those leads.
    - 2:45 that round-sounding HF-synth

The list goes on and on :smiley:
    I actually did something like that in Sunrizer that’s why I want one with quite the same engine.

• Phosphor 2 definitely. Simple to program. Sounds beautiful.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Phosphor 2 definitely. Simple to program. Sounds beautiful.

That’s how difficult it is to choose. I find P2 harder to make sounds with than PhaseMaker, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles lol

I get so far with P2 then funk it all up, where as with PhaseMaker I get pants to start with and then am able to mold something I want eventually. Buy both as they are cheap!

• Never underestimate the power of crossmod/vpm in Poison-202...
    I think it's more a matter of 'programming the patches' for the type of sounds you're looking for.

• @OhmAgar said:

Sunrizer is virtual analog too. May have already been mentioned but Sunrizer is planned to get the AU overhaul at some point in the future.

• Bought Phosphor 2 and.. wow.
    After I read the manual I was able to come close in like 3 minutes. Have to dive in deeper.
    And there‘ll be a lot of try and error. Thanks guys for giving me something new to learn :smiley:

• @OhmAgar said:
    Bought Phosphor 2 and.. wow.
    After I read the manual I was able to come close in like 3 minutes. Have to dive in deeper.
    And there‘ll be a lot of try and error. Thanks guys for giving me something new to learn :smiley:

Right on

• edited December 2018

I think i own all the VirSyn stuff, and thus of course have let it sit unused for months. My own loss! I would say these apps were designed by a crazy person if they weren’t so darn precise... almost scientific. Cube Synth and Addictive Pro make sounds that I don’t know what’s going on (spectral additive wavescanning?) but it is some tidal wave of sound possibilities. Love the XY pads too. Wouldn’t mind a whole synth made of XYs controllers. It strains my imagination to figure out what to do with such sounds, but they are fascinating for their own sake.

And speaking of crazy digital ported from VST... Sugar Bytes Cyclop can be forgiven for its dubstep tendencies because it is such a deep and original sound machine. Not for pretty sounds, but anything else is fair game... at least monophonically. (I had to buy the desktop VST Factory by SB to get something similar with polyphony. Wild stuff, endless potential it seems. The morphing features are like Alchemy after taking some DMT. Not brave enough to try Obscurium yet! :D )

• @OhmAgar If you haven’t tried it, check out Virsyn microTERA https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microtera/id819266128?mt=8
    Dangerously digital

• All the Virsyn synths are good, and I agree that microTera makes some amazing sounds!