Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Coming Soon FM PLAYER - Pre Release Demo for the iPad & FREE

And it will also be open source

Comments

• this thing is awesome. I think he is crazy giving it away for free. Such a crisp clear sound. it made me have flashbacks of the 80’s and 90’s. seriously you guys are gonna love it. great developer, great product. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.

• @eross said:
    this thing is awesome. I think he is crazy giving it away for free. Such a crisp clear sound. it made me have flashbacks of the 80’s and 90’s. seriously you guys are gonna love it. great developer, great product. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.

• @realdavidai said:
    Will it AU?

No not this one

• Looks great.
    I can hardly wait.

• He has another one coming out soon too, but it’s a synth the next one

• edited November 2017

@thesoundtestroom said:
    He has another one coming out soon too, but it’s a synth the next one

True story! There is a free and open-source AUv3 synth (unrelated to this DX7 app) in development by the fine open-source contributors of AudioKit including Marcus Hobbs, Aure Prochazka, and myself

• My my. Those are both looking quite handsome. Hurrah F/OSS!

• Wow - man, please keep this forum posted. I'm sure we'll all be refreshing the app store like crazy the day each of these is released.

• Slow today. Just realizing the DX player is sample based. @analog_matt Any roadmap plans to allow for user samples? Could be the simple AU sampler folks have been clamoring for. I looked for it on github but my search fu is weak today.

• edited November 2017

@syrupcore I will DM you more info

• @analog_matt said:
    Yes, this post buries the real story. This app is an example of a Kontakt instrument I converted to an App Store ready app in less than an hour. The code will be released after the app. It will be easy to use Swift, no C++ required. Allowing sample manufacturers to make high quality iOS versions of their work with very little coding skills

Wow. Sweet. For Joe/Jane user who isn't going to write Swift code or get a developer account so that they can install locally compiled apps on their device, is direct sampling on the roadmap for this one?

• Nerd context for everyone: AudioKit is the framework(?) @Michael recommended folks use for iOS audio development when he retired The Amazing Audio Engine.

• edited November 2017

Maybe I can make a video demonstrating steps for folks who want to use your own EXS24 instruments with the code on your own device. A full fledged sampler app might be something we explore in the future. But, it would be almost a full time job in itself to do it right ...

• Holly sh*t. :o :o :o :o

• edited November 2017

This looks pretty cool, but are there any plans for this or any iOS app to play DX7 patches? There's a wealth of those online and it always seemed like such a natural thing for iOS. Particularly as I use my iPad as a "middle man" between Patch Base or Volca FM Buddy and my Korg Volca FM. Shouldn't the iPad have more processing power and be better equipped as a DX7 clone than my plastic battery-powered $160 synth from Korg?

(Note: I couldn't watch the video where I was. Apologies in advance if it turns out this app does exactly that).

• Can confirm this sounds and plays great. I'll try and put a video up as well at some point

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Can confirm this sounds and plays great. I'll try and put a video up as well at some point

Thanks Stuart!

• @marcussatellite said:
    Great work @analog_matt !!

Marcus here is a valuable member of the AudioKit team and has been spending hours A/Bing code for the upcoming free AudioKit synth. It's important to realize that all the developers who write the AudioKit code do it as volunteers, and no one makes money. We just do it for the love. :)

We hope you enjoy some of the apps, and if you like them, please give them a good rating. Marcus also has an app called Wilsonic that is lots of fun: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wilsonic/id848852071?mt=8

• @StormJH1 said:
    This looks pretty cool, but are there any plans for this or any iOS app to play DX7 patches? There's a wealth of those online and it always seemed like such a natural thing for iOS. Particularly as I use my iPad as a "middle man" between Patch Base or Volca FM Buddy and my Korg Volca FM. Shouldn't the iPad have more processing power and be better equipped as a DX7 clone than my plastic battery-powered $160 synth from Korg?

That's an interesting question. We probably won't. The reasons: There is already open-source code for both previous versions of AudioKit, Juce, and C-sound to load and play DX7 SysEx. If I was just trying to make money, we could just slap a new interface on one, and pump it out very quickly.

It is great to hear from another FM hardware synth enthusiast. You may or may not share my opinions that even the best-in-class FM emulators for desktop do not have the magic of the sound straight from the 12-bit DACs of a Mark I or the classic DX7II unison.

For people that think FM8 is a good sounding DX7 clone, they may not appreciate this app. For me, I was able to get the best possible sound quality by making this a multi-velocity sample instrument, starting with some amazing specimens of gear. I suspect for you, and most musicians on this board, the most important thing is tone. The question I ask when using any instrument, is "would I use this on a record?". For an FM instrument (even a free one like this), this is the only way I could satisfy the requirement. For those people looking for a beautiful re-creation of the classic original DX7 & DX7II presets, this might fit the bill.

Anyway, it's free if you want to check it out. :)

• @analog_matt said:

@marcussatellite said:
    Great work @analog_matt !!

Marcus here is a valuable member of the AudioKit team and has been spending hours A/Bing code for the upcoming free AudioKit synth. It's important to realize that all the developers who write the AudioKit code do it as volunteers, and no one makes money. We just do it for the love. :)

We hope you enjoy some of the apps, and if you like them, please give them a good rating. Marcus also has an app called Wilsonic that is lots of fun: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wilsonic/id848852071?mt=8

The Wilsonic app is awesome.

• @analog_matt said:

I love Wilsonic. If Marcus would give it MPE out so that it could be used as a microtonal controller as Erv and God intended, he would be worshipped as a minor deity by many of us.

• FINALLY. The DX Bass 1 preset in my hands on iOS. Highway tooooo the danger zone

• edited November 2017

@oat_phipps said:
    FINALLY. The DX Bass 1 preset in my hands on iOS. Highway tooooo the danger zone

Yes! This bass is Kenny Loggins approved! If you want to make a video of you playing that (or any other hits). A-Ha 'Take on Me' also uses Bass 1, I believe? I'll send you an advanced copy.

EDIT: Beta is closed for now. But, the app will be out shortly. Thanks everyone!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@analog_matt said:

I love Wilsonic. If Marcus would give it MPE out so that it could be used as a microtonal controller as Erv and God intended, he would be worshipped as a minor deity by many of us.

+1