Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Senode – Graphical Step Sequencer

Comments

• edited November 2017

@mschenkel.it said:

@gkillmaster said:
    What is "+" on emitter?

Adds a new "playhead" in the loop

Actually + in emitter is advance one tick...

• @cuscolima said:
    I see a lot of similarities with Seaquence...but without the shrimps...

• @cuscolima said:
    I see a lot of similarities with Seaquence...but without the shrimps...

I would definitely say Seaquence is its closest cousin.

• @Trueyorky said:
    In app help...

I figured there'd be something in-app but, anymore, I like to read the manual before buying.

Cheers for posting the file. It's greatly appreciated!

• @Trueyorky said:
    @Artefact2001 a flat is the same note as g sharp

Only for true believer enharmonicists. We don't all subscribe to that religion.

• Looks like a cute GUI on top of a...sequencer. Am I missing something? If I'm in the market for a full-service sequencer, why would I choose this over, say, Quantum?

• Wow, it's so great to see you appreciate the app and also my music. Have you already spotted the songs that made it into Senode demo patches? ;-)

Let's talk about your questions:

@asnor said:
    Interesting. How are the drums triggering the state machines?

Ha, that is still a secret! Emitters have a number of actions, such as EMIT, TICK, STEP, CLEAR, RESET, .... And all of these are MIDI bindable. BUT: at the moment this is completely hidden in the iOS app, for the sake of simplicity and, eh, devlopment time. You've already spotted the OSX builds in my videos, where the interface is much more complex and which I use on stage. I presented the app at the Ableton Drummer meetup yesterday and everyone got me to integrate these bindings into the iOS interface as soon as possible. So stay tuned!

@JC_vt said:
    Looks like a simpler version of the original Nodal,
    http://nodalmusic.com/

I've seen this comment before on one of the early videos, and a lot of discussion as well. I actually never tried nodal and just now spotted there is a version on the App Store as well. Cool! I especially like the nodal way of assigning note lenghts via edge lenghts. But that would not be the right approach in Senode and these two apps seem to have different concepts, apart from the graph of nodes and edges.

@Munibeast said:
    We played together a few years ago in Freiburg with Jürgen, remember?

Sure I do! Great to see familiar faces here ! Actually, the "Three Days" patch is a transcription of a song Jürgen and I released recently: https://open.spotify.com/track/4UEqs9pA4TD5ikmUtaIMfA

Best,
    Sebastian

• @sebastianarnold Hi, I haven't purchased your app yet, but I'm fairly certain I will. I like the node-based interface, etc. However, your app description on the app store mentions some random probability. Though, I haven't seen any of the user videos use this yet. All of them have either been repurposing your demo samples pointed at other synths via midi. Or, have put together basic loops by assigning notes and chords to the nodes.

I see where the user can change the tempo, note, or chord of each node... but where is the probability/random stuff injected into the circuit chain? And, what sort of probability is it?

Very cool how you've taken several elements I love about some other apps, and created a very interesting new hybrid. Looking forward to playing with it, but as your launch still goes on awhile... I'm trying to make sure I don't have too much redundancy with apps I already own. So far, it looks like your's is a completely new approach. :)

• @sebastianarnold said:
    I presented the app at the Ableton Drummer meetup yesterday and everyone got me to integrate these bindings into the iOS interface as soon as possible. So stay tuned!

This will be a game changer for the iOS music making world if you can make it happen! Thanks for considering it...

• Hi @sebastianarnold It's great, look forward to when it gets Ableton Link and midi bindings etc.
    Really hope this becomes an AU some day.
    btw it doesn't see all my midi ports, I have quite a lot and there seems to be no way to scroll down the list so some are left off.

• @skiphunt you are free to set the numbers of nodes, notes / chords / empty / length etc., for each and connect with direction arrows back, forth, overlapping etc., and of course have multiple sets of these running at once on different (or the same) MIDI channels.

Once you press play the sequence runs at your pre-determined speed along the arrows and from there anything is possible. So yes much probability available in a fairly controlled way.

I have created loads with this app already. It’s superb :)

• @Trueyorky said:
    @skiphunt you are free to set the numbers of nodes, notes / chords / empty / length etc., for each and connect with direction arrows back, forth, overlapping etc., and of course have multiple sets of these running at once on different (or the same) MIDI channels.

Once you press play the sequence runs at your pre-determined speed along the arrows and from there anything is possible. So yes much probability available in a fairly controlled way.

Sounds great! However, your description doesn’t sound like any random probability routines. What you’ve described doesn’t sound different than you can also do with the Quantum sequencer, only a different interface.

Since @sebastianarnold says in the Senode description that it has randomization that can be used to create generative music. Which part of what you described are random algorithms like the Markov chains in Nodal, or the matrix, vector, and partical types in a Dhalang MG, or the generative algorithms used in Wotja? Are there any randomized algorithm methods used in Senode?

• Tip...when connect tool is selected or active,you can record series of notes.

• edited November 2017

@skiphunt said:

@Trueyorky said:
    @skiphunt you are free to set the numbers of nodes, notes / chords / empty / length etc., for each and connect with direction arrows back, forth, overlapping etc., and of course have multiple sets of these running at once on different (or the same) MIDI channels.

Sounds great! However, your description doesn’t sound like any random probability routines. What you’ve described doesn’t sound different than you can also do with the Quantum sequencer, only a different interface.

Since @sebastianarnold says in the Senode description that it has randomization that can be used to create generative music. Which part of what you described are random algorithms like the Markov chains in Nodal, or the matrix, vector, and partical types in a Dhalang MG, or the generative algorithms used in Wotja? Are there any randomized algorithm methods used in Senode?

I think it is referring to when a node has multiple paths it can output to, it chooses in a random way. So depending on how many forks you have built into your network, you can build up pretty random sounding sequences. With no forks you get total control/predictability.

• by node output, I mean the path to the next step, not MIDI or synth output. But you probably knew that. :)
  • I absolutely love it so far...its great as is but has potential to be the foundation for so much more if the dev wants to keep pushing the envelope.

Would love to see more node types introduced — perhaps different type of logic gates that’ll open up various paths when user-set conditions are met. (Which would trigger after a certain # of loops for instance, or other user defined probablility chance, or even triggered when a certain node or other condition on another emitter is hit). Possibilities are endless.

I love that the learning curve barrier is low enough that nearly anyone can get their head around it within minutes. More complexity could be added under the surface, yet still remain accessible for people to jump in right away and learn new tricks as they go. It could end up being the Audulus of sequencers or remain a wonderful tool as-is; either way, I’ll definitely be getting a lot of mileage out of it!

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I absolutely love it so far...its great as is but has potential to be the foundation for so much more if the dev wants to keep pushing the envelope.

Would love to see more node types introduced — perhaps different type of logic gates that’ll open up various paths when user-set conditions are met. (Which would trigger after a certain # of loops for instance, or other user defined probablility chance, or even triggered when a certain node or other condition on another emitter is hit). Possibilities are endless.

I love that the learning curve barrier is low enough that nearly anyone can get their head around it within minutes. More complexity could be added under the surface, yet still remain accessible for people to jump in right away and learn new tricks as they go. It could end up being the Audulus of sequencers or remain a wonderful tool as-is; either way, I’ll definitely be getting a lot of mileage out of it!

+1

• @ipadthai said:

@Artefact2001 a flat is the same note as g sharp

Mind blown.

@ipadthai, you crack me up every time with your humorous posts. Just thought I would let you know. :)

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Trueyorky said:

I think it is referring to when a node has multiple paths it can output to, it chooses in a random way. So depending on how many forks you have built into your network, you can build up pretty random sounding sequences. With no forks you get total control/predictability.

• by node output, I mean the path to the next step, not MIDI or synth output. But you probably knew that. :)

Hmmm... I can see that. Love the interface. Looks very user friendly with the possibility for as much complexity you might want, or straight forward sequence composition, or everything in between.

Are there any settings or parameters for the randomization used for a given node that has multiple circuit loops forked off of it? Not important, just curious.

• @skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Trueyorky said:

Hmmm... I can see that. Love the interface. Looks very user friendly with the possibility for as much complexity you might want, or straight forward sequence composition, or everything in between.

Are there any settings or parameters for the randomization used for a given node that has multiple circuit loops forked off of it? Not important, just curious.

I have not come across that yet, but was thinking of asking @sebastianarnold what type of randomization is built in by default. I'm guessing it is just some coin-flip type of randomization, but I don't really know.

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Trueyorky said:

I have not come across that yet, but was thinking of asking @sebastianarnold what type of randomization is built in by default. I'm guessing it is just some coin-flip type of randomization, but I don't really know.

I think it's a just a simple chance, 2 routes = 50% chance 3 routes = 33% chance etc

• @Carnbot said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Trueyorky said:

I think it's a just a simple chance, 2 routes = 50% chance 3 routes = 33% chance etc

If that's the case, I might like that better. The more complex routines are kind of hard to wrangle most of the time... at least for me. Sometimes you get lucky, but then you make one change and it all goes to hell. Simple chance sounds like it'd be easier to maintain some level of control, while also getting some nice dynamic changes.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Trueyorky said:

If that's the case, I might like that better. The more complex routines are kind of hard to wrangle most of the time... at least for me. Sometimes you get lucky, but then you make one change and it all goes to hell. Simple chance sounds like it'd be easier to maintain some level of control, while also getting some nice dynamic changes.

That is a pretty good description of the feeling I get when watching this thing go. The randomness is contained enough to mold it into something you like, and you can add/subtract randomness to your liking by just trying out a slightly different branch path. It never feels like you are not in control, which is pretty amazing.

• @sebastianarnold said:
    everyone got me to integrate these bindings into the iOS interface as soon as possible. So stay tuned!

Looking forward to it! :+1:

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Um...guys. Do we need to have a conversation about the rules about singing drummers again?

What were the rules again?

• @u0421793 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Um...guys. Do we need to have a conversation about the rules about singing drummers again?

Damn, thanks for that.

And in the case of Singing v. drummers, I point everyone else to Levon Helm.

• @oat_phipps said:

@u0421793 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Damn, thanks for that.

Yes. The brilliance of Levon Helm is how easy it is to forget he was the drummer. They don’t make em like they used to. B)

• @oat_phipps said:

@u0421793 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Damn, thanks for that.

Don’t look back, you can never look back…

• There can only be Levon.

• Never knew these guys by name back then, but I liked Levon's performance with The Band in 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down'. :+1: