Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Senode – Graphical Step Sequencer

Comments

• I gotta say - this is one of the best apps I have ever encountered !
    To be able to drive my Reaktor and Kontakt libraries, as well as some IOS stuff.
    Setting up my drumkit, now I can interact with IOS sequencer like never before :D

A king is born !

• Can we inject chords into the nodes via midi?
    It would be amazing if we could

• edited November 2017

I never thought I'd see the day that Sebastian Arnold would pop in here. I'm a drummer too who synthesizes at the same time (it's a talent that only a few of us chosen ones can possess). His videos made me realize it was possible and got me more interested in it. Also I really dig his musical style.

• @ipadthai said:
    I never thought I'd see the day that Sebastian Arnold would pop in here. I'm a drummer too who synthesizes at the same time (it's a talent that only a few of us chosen ones can possess). His videos made me realize it was possible and got me more interested in it. Also I really dig his musical style.

Another synthesizing drummer here. Can’t play keys to save my life though :D

• @brambos said:

@ipadthai said:

Another synthesizing drummer here. Can’t play keys to save my life though :D

Yeah me neither. It's a note here and there. And arps. And sequencers. Come to think of it, I just mostly tweak the cutoff knob :)

• @sebastianarnold Superb app - here’s my first go through AUM...

• Ok. Took the plunge because the itch was just too strong. This is pretty great. Way better than nodal imo. A great balance of structure and randomness. Once this puppy has link and we can get drums going it’s ON.

• @Munibeast said:
    Here's a link to Sebastian Arnold's music on iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/sebastian-arnold/291424592
    It's good stuff :smile:

This guy, Sebastian Arnold, is really creative. I am blown away. The app he just released already had my head spinning, but to hear his music and see him in action is pretty incredible. Nice find for me, fo' sho!

• edited November 2017

@DCJ said:
    Ok. Took the plunge because the itch was just too strong. This is pretty great. Way better than nodal imo. A great balance of structure and randomness. Once this puppy has link and we can get drums going it’s ON.

Other than this app's GUI has circle nodes that connect to other circle nodes, I don't see why anyone is comparing this to Nodal. Nodal lets you link together either built-in samples or samples you import. You can trim those samples, and add a few effects. You can also morph two samples together into a new sample. Then, each Nodal "node" in the chain plays back somewhat randomly based on Markov chains.

Unless I'm missing something.. this Senode doesn't play back samples or user imported samples does it? Seems to be something else entirely in that you can set notes for each node, and assign some probability. And also send the midi out to other instruments.

I don't get the comparison with Nodal unless Senode also lets you chain samples together in addition to note/chord assignment.

Nodal has a few issues I've found, but it really is something very different from this app. Of course, I could be missing something since I don't have this one yet.

• Yeah, this is cool and worth the purchase. It gets my (worthless) Seal of Approval.

• @skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:
    Ok. Took the plunge because the itch was just too strong. This is pretty great. Way better than nodal imo. A great balance of structure and randomness. Once this puppy has link and we can get drums going it’s ON.

Other than this app's GUI has circle nodes that connect to other circle nodes, I don't see why anyone is comparing this to Nodal. Nodal lets you link together either built-in samples or samples you import. You can trim those samples, and add a few effects. You can also morph two samples together into a new sample. Then, each Nodal "node" in the chain plays back somewhat randomly based on Markov chains.

Unless I'm missing something.. this Senode doesn't play back samples or user imported samples does it? Seems to be something else entirely in that you can set notes for each node, and assign some probability. And also send the midi out to other instruments.

I don't get the comparison with Nodal unless Senode also lets you chain samples together in addition to note/chord assignment.

Nodal has a few issues I've found, but it really is something very different from this app. Of course, I could be missing something since I don't have this one yet.

You’re totally right. I think it’s the layout and process that’s similar... connect the nodes in different ways and see what happens. Before playing with it i would have thought they were similar as well, but they’re really not. Senode does do chords and there’s an aspect of probability that’s super cool... but no samples. I’ve never actually been able to get anything that resembles a sequence, per se, out of nodal. Randomness seems to be king there, but Senode allows you to structure the order of notes and chords and then muck with the results.

I’m really loving it the more I play with it.

• @DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

You’re totally right. I think it’s the layout and process that’s similar... connect the nodes in different ways and see what happens. Before playing with it i would have thought they were similar as well, but they’re really not. Senode does do chords and there’s an aspect of probability that’s super cool... but no samples. I’ve never actually been able to get anything that resembles a sequence, per se, out of nodal. Randomness seems to be king there, but Senode allows you to structure the order of notes and chords and then muck with the results.

Funny, nobody compared it to Axon, but it looks kind of like that too. Also, and sorry if this is a dumb question, but couldn't you just drive a sampler with the MIDI out if you wanted to use samples with this app?

• Also, and sorry if this is a dumb question, but couldn't you just drive a sampler with the MIDI out if you wanted to use samples with this app?

I was thinking the same thing.

• iPad only? Universal someday?

• Bummer iPad only.
    Guys I don’t have access to my iPad so how could I buy it anyone can advise?

• DCJDCJ
    edited November 2017

@CracklePot said:

@DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

Funny, nobody compared it to Axon, but it looks kind of like that too. Also, and sorry if this is a dumb question, but couldn't you just drive a sampler with the MIDI out if you wanted to use samples with this app?

You definitely could, but not in the same strange way that nodal works, which is what skip hunt was comparing it to.

Axon is similar only because it uses nodes to trigger other nodes, but the neuron network has a very mathematical approach to how the nodes interact, so it’s not actually random. Senode feels a lot more (forgive me Axon fans), musical no matter how the nodes are triggering each other. It feels more a like a creative improv rather than experimental if that makes any sense at all. Similar principals but entirely different results I guess.

• @DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

Yeah, Nodal is tricky. It’s more of a lucky accidental composition thing. Senode looks like it’s got great chaos built in, but also excellent control of the compositional direction.

I’ll likely get it too, but trying excercise at least a little restraint. ;)

• @DCJ said:

@CracklePot said:

@DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

You definitely could, but not in the same strange way that nodal works, which is what skip hunt was comparing it to.

Axon is similar only because it uses nodes to trigger other nodes, but the neuron network has a very mathematical approach to how the nodes interact, so it’s not actually random. Senode feels a lot more (forgive me Axon fans), musical no matter how the nodes are triggering each other. It feels more a like a creative improv rather than experimental if that makes any sense at all. Similar principals but entirely different results I guess.

Yes, your description of these apps totally makes sense. I was looking at these three (possibly more) apps as a new approach to sequencing using nodal networks in general. Was wondering if more are coming too, or just where this approach is heading.

I have to look for more demo videos of Nodal. I looked for some when Nodal was making some noise on the forum a little while back, but there weren't so many at the time. I am not sure what you and @skiphunt were referring to about the way Nodal deals with samples.

• @echoopera said:
    Here’s my contribution using the Chasing Edges scene in Senode to drive 3 instances of Zeeon in AUM. This is going to be a fun little app to explore.

FWIW I would ask for Ableton Link before converting it to an AUx app...not sure what the benefit of it being AU would be to be honest. All your hook ups to midi devices are built in to the app already.

Great work on it <3 :#

Really nice.

Nuts to it, I have faith Link, etc, will arrive, will pick this up to fund more development.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Bummer iPad only.

It's on sale until the 29th so you have a bit of time.

The other option is to get someone without it to gift it to you and you gift it back. I'm happy to do this if you want to message me.

I'll hold off picking it up for now I'm temporarily on my ancient iPad anyway which struggles to run anything.

• @CracklePot said:

@DCJ said:

@CracklePot said:

@DCJ said:

@skiphunt said:

@DCJ said:

Yes, your description of these apps totally makes sense. I was looking at these three (possibly more) apps as a new approach to sequencing using nodal networks in general. Was wondering if more are coming too, or just where this approach is heading.

I have to look for more demo videos of Nodal. I looked for some when Nodal was making some noise on the forum a little while back, but there weren't so many at the time. I am not sure what you and @skiphunt were referring to about the way Nodal deals with samples.

So nodal only uses samples. It comes with a bunch but you can also import your own. Axon still has a midi out bug that hasn’t been addressed, but even if it had been, I would say that Senode is the best option wether you want to sequence internal sounds or external ones using this nodal method. It’s really incredible to hear it work on AUs in AUM!

• controlling an external sampler is cool but also not the same workflow. anyways this guy is a dope drummer I'm hoping that his next app will be a groove box with these great sequencing features and a sampler + crazy fx, slicing, and quintuplets/septuplets, p.locks, conditional trigs the whole nine

• @kobamoto said:
    controlling an external sampler is cool but also not the same workflow. anyways this guy is a dope drummer I'm hoping that his next app will be a groove box with these great sequencing features and a sampler + crazy fx, slicing, and quintuplets/septuplets, p.locks, conditional trigs the whole nine

And the ability to move noise from the left and right as one might desire would also be choice. Just saying.

• edited November 2017

Thanks so much but how long do I have until I redeem the gift before they send it back to you?

I tried to gift it to myself but it wouldn’t allow me since I’m on the iPhone so i wonder if it would allow me to gift it to you.

@TheVimFuego said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Bummer iPad only.

The other option is to get someone without it to gift it to you and you gift it back. I'm happy to do this if you want to message me.

I'll hold off picking it up for now I'm temporarily on my ancient iPad anyway which struggles to run anything.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kobamoto said:
    controlling an external sampler is cool but also not the same workflow. anyways this guy is a dope drummer I'm hoping that his next app will be a groove box with these great sequencing features and a sampler + crazy fx, slicing, and quintuplets/septuplets, p.locks, conditional trigs the whole nine

And the ability to move noise from the left and right as one might desire would also be choice. Just saying.

I concur

• @echoopera I am briefly away (Chicago) and can hardly make sense of anything and certainly not what this app would actually be like under my hands, but your piece upthread is sufficiently lovely that I am going to buy the thing as payment. Really very good and useful for bringing peace to the end of a chaotic evening amongst the Big Shoulders. Thank you.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks so much but how long do I have until I redeem the gift before they send it back to you?

I tried to gift it to myself but it wouldn’t allow me since I’m on the iPhone so i wonder if it would allow me to gift it to you.

@TheVimFuego said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Bummer iPad only.

I don't think that there's a limit on time but I've just read that you can't gift to another country/region which rules this out I think (you're in the US?).

I'd rather not set up a US account but will if you're stuck.

• edited November 2017

@sebastianarnold
    EDIT: -
    transpose via midi note on a keyboard would be awesome - great for interaction.
    We also really need a how to videos asap.
    killer app !