Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPhone 7+ vs 8+

Sooo I ordered an iPhone 7 because it is light weight and doesn’t have the glass back of the 8. But should I return it and get an 8 instead? How much more powerful is the processor / camera on the 8? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Camera is apparently amazing. I got an 8, and it's ready good, but the 8+ had the dual lenses. Horsepower, yes, but, a huge difference maker? Dunno.

• iPhone 8 Plus has a 25 percent faster cpu but same amount of ram

• @Sbee said:
    iPhone 8 Plus has a 25 percent faster cpu but same amount of ram

The multi core benchmark shows a much bigger difference than 25%.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

• iPhone 6 Plus has a headjack :D
    And seems to be fast enough.

• @tja said:
    iPhone 6 Plus has a headjack :D

Amen.

• @tja said:

Which is why I got me a 6s (not Plus) 3 weeks ago.
    Prices were dropping, cool offers, after iPhone 8 came out

• As brilliant as they are the lack of a dedicated headphone port for musicians who like to plug things into their device is a real pain that kills the creative urge stone dead. Having to faff about finding cables chargers and adapters makes it difficult beyond belief when you look at the relative simplicity of the previous phone setup!

• Keep it simple: Just use bluetooth for hearing your audio. It is not so bad, imho.

• @Looping_Loddar have you tried using BeatHawk through Bluetooth? Because it doesn’t work for me, everything seems to be pitched an octave down.

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    Keep it simple: Just use bluetooth for hearing your audio. It is not so bad, imho.

How do they perform when using DAW apps, any delays etc?

• @teleb you’re right if you look at multi core and metal results but single core results seem to fit the 25% mark. I’m not sure how much apps make use of more than one core?

• @Sbee said:
    @teleb you’re right if you look at multi core and metal results but single core results seem to fit the 25% mark. I’m not sure how much apps make use of more than one core?

Good music apps should do this. Garedge band does this for sure.

• @Sbee said:
    @teleb you’re right if you look at multi core and metal results but single core results seem to fit the 25% mark. I’m not sure how much apps make use of more than one core?

Depends on the app and the app developer.

The number of useable instances of model 15, for example, seem mainly to depend on the single-core performance.

• You may not notice the performance increase right away but in a year or so it’ll make a bigger difference as apps tap into that power

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    Keep it simple: Just use bluetooth for hearing your audio. It is not so bad, imho.

Won’t work for realtime playing ;-)

• edited November 2017

If you a> @teleb said:

@Sbee said:
    iPhone 8 Plus has a 25 percent faster cpu but same amount of ram

The multi core benchmark shows a much bigger difference than 25%.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Probably the 8 works faster with optimized software, but for now even the 7 renders 4K movies faster than the 8 and not by a bit, but much faster. Camera 8 seems to be better but that's also a matter of taste. The iPhone 7 has the more realistic colors previous models had, the 8 seems to oversaturate which makes it more Samsung like... Something which Apple fanboys always complainted about ;)

• @Peter321 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

@Peter321 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

I can understand this. I have heard that there is an Yamaha bluetooth adapter which is (am i right?) fast enough for realtime playing.

• Midi over BT is completely different than Audio over BT when it comes to latency.

• @syrupcore said:

@tja said:

Amen.

It also suffers from "Touch Disease". If yours hasn't caught it yet, just wait...... :-(

• @Looping_Loddar said:

The latency was unbearable for me. I've heard that it is better if audio uses a cable and the midi keyboard uses bluetooth (less data to transfer). I can't give a personal opinion yet, because I haven't tried it yet, but bluetooth audio was a no-go.

• @Peter321 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

Yep. Unfortunately... (Possibly bluetooth for a midi controller might work, but the audio needs a straight connection).

• @Samu said:
    Midi over BT is completely different than Audio over BT when it comes to latency.

I hold all my hopes on this ^^^^

• @Audiojunkie said:

@Peter321 said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

Yep. Unfortunately... (Possibly bluetooth for a midi controller might work, but the audio needs a straight connection).

Midi over Bluetooth works fine timing wise. But it also introduces a little additional latency of some Milli seconds. So even there wired is better. After all when the signal arrives in the iPad all the processing still needs to take place which is more added time. Where ever you can cut off time it is an improvement.
    I am using a Roli Lightpad Block with the iPad and it's fine. When connecting to my Mac I prefer wired. It is also more stable than Bluetooth.

• @Audiojunkie said:

@Samu said:
    Midi over BT is completely different than Audio over BT when it comes to latency.

I hold all my hopes on this ^^^^

I'm still happy with my nanoKEY Studio!
    (There's something about the old-school computer keyboard feel that really appeals to me).

• I don't think the headphone jack is ever coming back, folks. If you want to make music on the iPhone, you're going to have to figure out how to get around it. I still use my iPad Pro, but I rarely use the headphone jack for anything, anyway.

• I actually had to get one of those Lightning->3,5mm dongles some time ago to be able to monitor the recordings made using the Røde SmartLav+ that connects to the 3,5mm jack and use the Lightning->3,5mm jack for monitoring :)

I've since then also gotten the iRig Mic Field with an integrated head-phone jack...
    (But I've yet to upgrade my iRig Mic HD to the new version with a jack).

I'm leaning towards the 8+ due to my eyes getting worse all the time and my trust iPhone 5 starting to behave oddly due to battery issues. My iPad 2 will remain my main driver at least until the A11 based iPads start to appear...

• @Audiojunkie said:

@Looping_Loddar said:

The latency was unbearable for me. I've heard that it is better if audio uses a cable and the midi keyboard uses bluetooth (less data to transfer). I can't give a personal opinion yet, because I haven't tried it yet, but bluetooth audio was a no-go.

btw bluetooth and watching movies is also awfull, there's a lipsync delay.

Talking about Bluetooth: iPhone 8 Plus has Bluetooth 5.0, while iPhone 7 Plus has Bluetooth 4.2.

• @mannix said:

I wonder why this is. I mean, I can see it in Safari but a stand-alone video app like Netflix, Hulu, etc should be able to detect you're using BT audio and add delay compensation, right? Or is it too variable for that to work reliably?

• @syrupcore said:

@mannix said:

I wonder why this is. I mean, I can see it in Safari but a stand-alone video app like Netflix, Hulu, etc should be able to detect you're using BT audio and add delay compensation, right? Or is it too variable for that to work reliably?

Should be possible, technically. But the protocol needs to include this kind of sync option. Don't know whether that is the case.
    The relevance of this will decrease with the speed increase happening step by step.

• @teleb seems like it would be good if the protocol included it so that variable latency amounts could more easily be provided for but it wasn't written in the VST (etc) protocol and DAWs worked it out back in the day.

Thinking about something simple like a clap signal. With microphone access, the app could sample it, measure the delay and adjust for it. That said, I'd be one of those people who would prefer netflix not have access to my microphone! Holy Alexa.